Outer space and related interests Page 17

• Jyzzy-Z 24 Dec 2017 17:15:12 2,908 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Aye saw that the other week. It's brilliant.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 7 Jan 2018 17:14:16 13,793 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Sex

https://www.sciencealert.com/nasa-s-1-billion-probe-just-sent-back-mind-meltingly-gorgeous-new-images-of-jupiter
  • Deleted user 7 January 2018 17:27:53
    @Decks

They are mind-blowing.
  • stephenb 7 Jan 2018 17:39:32 3,383 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Decks

The time lapse is fantastic!
  • Fab4 7 Jan 2018 17:53:55 8,342 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Those images are fantastic.

On an aside, I see that the Falcon Heavy is now vertical on the launchpad, ready for a launch in January.

• mal 10 Jan 2018 18:08:59 29,326 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I am currently using one of those Jupiter images as my backdrop. Fantastic stuff!

In other news, there's a slightly long but rather interesting talk here by one of the Mars Curiosity rover roboteers.

It's fairly long but always interesting. I found the time flew by.
  • Fab4 5 Feb 2018 18:54:23 8,342 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Falcon Heavy set to launch tomorrow, around 6:30PM GMT.

Will be quite a show, no matter what happens.
  • Fake_Blood 5 Feb 2018 20:06:29 8,516 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Funny that you should post that because they literally released this updated animation 10 minutes ago:
  • mal 5 Feb 2018 23:28:19 29,326 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Oh, so that's what happened to the Stig.
  • DaM 6 Feb 2018 11:49:02 17,086 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Didn't dawn on me that they'd be recycling the boosters too, I pictured the whole thing rocketing off.

Elon reckons there's a good chance it won't work...he says a wonky launch that doesn't destroy the pad will still be a success.... would be good to see his Roadster launched on its way to Mars though!
  • mal 6 Feb 2018 16:28:05 29,326 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    So, has this thing launched yet? Has he had to sterilise that roadster, or is the heat of entry into Mars's limited atmosphere calculated to be enough to cook it?

Anyway, in less specacular but more entertaining news, here's how a flat earther explains why his ten bob rocket didn't go up yesterday.

I like how he keeps referring to things by their engineering names before correcting himself to use the more scientific terminology.
  • Fake_Blood 6 Feb 2018 17:26:31 8,516 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    2:50pm ET apparently.

It's not actually going to crash on Mars, it's going in an orbit that will take it from here to Mars and back ad infinitum. Like geostationary satellites, it's going to be up there long after humanity has perished. Well, if it makes it into space at least.
  • wobbly_Bob 6 Feb 2018 18:57:23 4,450 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Astronomers think b they have found planets orbiting around a star in another galaxy! The first extra galactic planets! How fucking cool is that!

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science/first-planets-beyond-milky-way-may-have-been-discovered-ncna844861
  • mal 6 Feb 2018 20:30:49 29,326 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    It's not actually going to crash on Mars, it's going in an orbit that will take it from here to Mars and back ad infinitum. Like geostationary satellites, it's going to be up there long after humanity has perished. Well, if it makes it into space at least.
    Ah, I wondered about that given the animation ended showing the car missing mars by some margin.

FWIW, I don't expect anything to stay up orbiting the earth for very long in any case. Most stuff's in a fairly low orbit where they need to expend thrust to stay up there simply due to air resistance. And most orbits are quite crowded these days, and without things being actively steered around the biggest obstacles they'll go pop and create their own large obstacles for other stuff to crash into.

But I guess we don't really care what this'll eventually crash into if it only happens once we're gone. I guess it's on a pretty lonely orbit anyway.

Edit: The livestream (from the other thread) says it's not slingshotting around any planets, which is what I'd originally imagined, and which wouldn't actually work more than once as by the next time round the planets would be in different places around the sun. Instead it's flying a slightly eliptical orbit which has its extremeties close to earth orbit and mars orbit. It likely won't come anywhere near either planet for centuries at a pass, because at any given instant it's likely either earth or mars are on the other side of the sun or something.

Edited by mal at 20:42:08 06-02-2018
  • FWB 6 Feb 2018 20:51:04 54,488 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    This is ace!
  • Skirlasvoud 7 Feb 2018 11:15:34 3,672 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The falcon boosters that got the rocket into space managed to land back on eart with pinpoint accuracy! Thatís so awesome! *wipes tear away*

I'm still saddened that it's a private corporation that managed this leap in tech instead of any government agency, but still!

Edited by Skirlasvoud at 01:12:23 08-02-2018
  • DaM 7 Feb 2018 11:39:37 17,086 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    How awesome was that! Even my wife was impressed. Just shows you what can be done. This launch will cost $90 million. The new NASA equivalent (not flown yet) will cost a billion a launch. And NASA don't make cars.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 7 Feb 2018 11:44:48 13,793 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Less than three Andy Carrolls to launch a car to Mars. How much would it be to fire Trump into the sun? I reckon of we had a whip round we could get it together.
  • ChocNut 7 Feb 2018 11:49:33 2,353 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Musk is a fucking legend
  • mal 7 Feb 2018 23:26:17 29,326 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    So, that fuckup with the second stage second burn has pushed the tesla out towards the local asteroid belt (the old one, between Mars and Jupiter). Currently predicted to be passing through the belt from September time.

I don't think the cameras are working any more, but I wonder how dinged that tesla will be by the time it comes out of there.
  • mal 9 Feb 2018 20:00:47 29,326 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    SpaceX are just knocking them out of the park at the moment. Though I think this actually happened before the Falcon Heavy Test launch, it's perhaps the best video feed I've seen of a sattelite launch thus far. It's only a plain old Falcon 9 launch, and they dumped the booster because it was already old and crusty rather than landing it. It a Luxembourgish spy sattelite they're launching, so the Deputy and actual PM and the royal family from that pissy little european state were all on site, but unfortunately they didn't all get blown up in an unfortunate kerosene based space launch incident.

I think it's actually going into a geosynchronous orbit, rather than a geostationary one, because from our perspective it's wobbling between being over Europe and mid/south Africa between midnight and midday (or whatever time of day they've set it to be at it's greatest eccentricity).

Edit: Wrong video.

Edited by mal at 20:02:37 09-02-2018
  • Fake_Blood 9 Feb 2018 20:24:16 8,516 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago

Posted this in the other space thread too, it's binaural sound of the falcon heavy launch.
    Headphones needed, but it's the closest I'm ever going to get to a launch.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 10 Feb 2018 10:20:38 13,793 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Oh shit guys

• ZuluHero 10 Feb 2018 10:39:06 6,360 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Lol, I enjoyed that, people are so deluded. I'm going to need a better argument than, "don't let me tell you it's fake, but let me tell you how fake it is"

Edited by ZuluHero at 10:41:15 10-02-2018
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 10 Feb 2018 10:46:33 13,793 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:

Posted this in the other space thread too, it's binaural sound of the falcon heavy launch.
    That was great.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 10 Feb 2018 10:47:30 13,793 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote:
    Lol, I enjoyed that, people are so deluded. I'm going to need a better argument than, "don't let me tell you it's fake, but let me tell you how fake it is"
    I find myself getting angry at them but I still can't stop watching them. This whole flat earth thing is fascinating to watch.
  • ZuluHero 10 Feb 2018 10:54:00 6,360 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's a great position and makes rational people seem like raving lunatics, it used to make my blood boil but it just fuels their argument, making you seem like the irrational one. And they know how to push peoples buttons to solicite a reply in the comments. Much better to just leave them to it and have a good laugh about it. The more irrational or vague the argument the funnier I find it.

Have you heard the flat-earth theory that there is no gravity?

Edited by ZuluHero at 10:55:00 10-02-2018
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 10 Feb 2018 11:00:50 13,793 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah I've heard a few different theories. One that the flat earth is constantly hurtling upwards which makes us stick to the ground. I believe the other is to do with magnets.
  • Fake_Blood 10 Feb 2018 12:21:51 8,516 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The problem with constant acceleration is that you would reach the speed of light pretty fucking fast. At which point time would slow down until it stopped completely. You'd also need an infinite source of energy.

But magnets though, nobody knows how those work so that's definitely a possibility.
  • Fake_Blood 10 Feb 2018 12:43:05 8,516 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    Fake_Blood wrote:

That was great.
    I think this will be how I will be testing new headphones going forward.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.