Outer space and related interests Page 18

Next Last
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 10 Feb 2018 12:47:17 13,788 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It's weird, I only used normal earbuds but the surround effect was just as good as any surround sound earphones I've used. Especially when they're walking through at the start.
  • Fake_Blood 10 Feb 2018 13:04:36 8,516 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm using gaming headphones and it's a good test because you get the low bass rumble but also the very sharp crackling and popping.
    I don't hear the 10 sonic booms though, only 6.
  • mal 10 Feb 2018 16:03:55 29,326 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yeah, I get 6, but most of them are little duh-dum trills where there are two sounds, but it's obviously an echo off that nearby concrete wall, so I ignored the second instinctively and counted 6.

I don't think surround headphones will help because this is made with stereo microphones in baffles that mimic the human ear, so the spacial setup is all encoded in slightly muffling stuff behind you, and the time delay in the left and right channels which let you instinctively triangulate the sound source. The only thing surround sound can do is risk thinking some of that timing info was some encoded channels and mess up the stereo.
  • Dirtbox 14 Feb 2018 15:02:42 90,298 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    This is fun.

http://www.whereisroadster.com/index.html
  • Fake_Blood 14 Feb 2018 15:09:56 8,516 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Where the hell did you find that site, 1997?
  • Dirtbox 14 Feb 2018 15:45:23 90,298 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Web 3.0 has a retro flavour.
  • mal 14 Feb 2018 16:49:54 29,326 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I like the 'close approaches' page which shows just how much of a fuckup this orbit is, when the point of them choosing the orbit they had was to prove how useful they'd be to the american military wanting a transport between earth and mars apparently.

On the first 'close approach to Mars' it's actually closer to Earth.
    And on the second it's coinciding pretty much with Earth orbit because it's basically back where it started, but meanwhile Mars has swung around to be pretty much adjacent (while being just as far away as it ever had).

If the point of this was to demonstrate getting something into Mars orbit, it's going to take fucking years until it's anywhere near.
  • Khanivor 14 Feb 2018 17:04:03 43,752 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I thought they just fucked up the burn. Not sure why the military would want demonstrations for a Mars shuttle contract just yet.
  • Fake_Blood 14 Feb 2018 17:21:13 8,516 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They didn't fuck up at all, they just lit the final stage and let it burn until the tanks were empty -almost empty, if you let it burn till it runs out of oxidiser or fuel the engine blows up.
    The point of that last step was just see how far they could get.
    For the military the major point was showing that you could shoot something to geostationary orbit in one go, so not first in low orbit and then gently raise the orbit to geostationary. That's why it spend 6 hours in the van allen belt being irradiated.
    Not completely sure why the military wants this, but I think it's because you can take out a satellite in low earth orbit pretty easily from the ground these days.
  • mal 14 Feb 2018 18:08:54 29,326 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yeah, to be fair I'm probably taking two and two and adding them to make 5. Namely I heard somewhere prior to launch that they had chosen this orbit for the needs of the military, and then that they'd left the burn on for too long to enter the originally planned orbit. Maybe that doesn't invalidate its uses for the military, but I think it'd be funnier if it did.
  • mal 14 Mar 2018 01:26:06 29,326 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    So, a genuine bona-fide space-x fuckup that left astronaut laundry floating about in the middle of the atlantic when the drive unit went pop back in June '15.

Basically, it seems like they used cheap industrial steel to make a support ring, leading to a hose flapping about at launch velocities and rupturing the LOx tank and making big bang bye-bye.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/03/13/spacex_2015_explosion_nasa_report/

Edited by mal at 01:29:40 14-03-2018
  • neilka 14 Mar 2018 08:10:07 21,287 posts
    Seen 51 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Has your support ring ever given way leading to a hose flapping about at launch velocities, user mal?
  • Skirlasvoud 15 Mar 2018 00:07:23 3,672 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    neilka wrote:
    Has your support ring ever given way leading to a hose flapping about at launch velocities, user mal?
    Eeeeewwwww!

I'm guessing a fuel mixture of baked beans, hot peppers and hydrofluoric acid?
  • mal 15 Mar 2018 02:36:38 29,326 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    No, my support ring is very tightly fastened thank you all the same.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.