Random Musings Page 1105

• Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 13 Sep 2018 10:03:11 4,079 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've always assumed those alcohol guidelines were the minimum level you should be aiming for to maintain your sanity. Was I reading them wrong?
  • quadfather 13 Sep 2018 10:13:50 32,883 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Rogueywon

Have a read of the article. It's practically indoctrination.

As for the guidelines, I have no idea. I drink a lot of booze and only don't drink if I'm driving because that's foolish, but 7 pints a week? Come on. I get it if you don't like drink and want to have a rough idea of when it starts to fuck you over, but if you like a drink, 7 pints a week is frankly, fucking ridiculous. How are you even supposed to get leathered with those guidelines?
  • fontgeeksogood 13 Sep 2018 10:18:08 2,200 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Have them all in half an hour
  • monkehhh 13 Sep 2018 10:18:10 4,962 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think the idea is that you're not meant to get leathered? :)
  • askew 13 Sep 2018 10:25:04 17,351 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Quaddy would love that "Stay Sober For October" campaign…
  • Dougs 13 Sep 2018 10:35:39 86,487 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    Have them all in half an hour
    A mate of mine once drank 6 pints and ate a burger in his lunch hour. Then sauntered back to work to interview people on the dole. It was most impressive.
  • quadfather 13 Sep 2018 10:35:58 32,883 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    But I like getting leathered. Well, not leathered, but I like talking complete bollocks with my mates and have some beers while doing so.

Stay sober campaigns? Yeah, ok. Have fun with that! Fuck right off, you fun vampires.
  • b-rk 13 Sep 2018 10:41:00 202 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    I've been teetotal for almost a year now, can't say I miss alcohol at all to be honest.
  • challenge_hanukkah 13 Sep 2018 10:41:12 7,699 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    You must be worried about your problematic drinking on some level quaddy, or it wouldn't have provoked this reaction.
  • Load_2.0 13 Sep 2018 10:42:34 27,698 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    b-rk wrote:
    I've been teetotal for almost a year now, can't say I miss alcohol at all to be honest.
    Sure you weren't drunk when you watch Raiders of the Lost Ark?
  • quadfather 13 Sep 2018 10:56:03 32,883 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    challenge_hanukkah wrote:
    You must be worried about your problematic drinking on some level quaddy, or it wouldn't have provoked this reaction.
    Oh I know I have a problem with it and I drink too much too often - I accept that. It's more about the evangelical way that the article describes how the guidelines came about. It's that pious-holier-than-thou attitude about things that gets my goat. They can be talking about how many cats you are supposed to have in 1 household and It'd still irk me. Not as much as beer as I'm an alcoholic, but it'd still piss me off.
  • quadfather 13 Sep 2018 10:58:23 32,883 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    b-rk wrote:
    Good for you man - I've been curbing it a bit as of late, but still on it. It must be pretty good to not wake up groggy everyday :)
  • Dougs 13 Sep 2018 11:07:30 86,487 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    3 weeks without a beer for me now. It's been pretty easy tbh, when I've felt like a beer, a non-alcoholic one or two has done the job. Yet to find a palatable non-alcoholic red wine though. My sleep is significantly better. It'll all go to shit this weekend, as I have a couple of social things lined up, but I am at least hoping to moderate it some.
  • Frogofdoom 13 Sep 2018 11:08:06 9,658 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Dougs I tried something similar when I worked for local government but it was only 4 pints in the hour. Walked back into the office and thought I can't do this so carried on walking straight through and went home. It was the advantage of being in the IT department as nobody ever knew where anyone was.

If it had been 6 I would have probably ended up in hospital.

Edited by Frogofdoom at 11:08:40 13-09-2018
  • Rivuzu 13 Sep 2018 11:08:22 17,397 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Stay sober campaigns? Yeah, ok. Have fun with that! Fuck right off, you fun vampires.
    Because being sober means you're no fun?

Sorry, most of us don't need alcohol to replace a personality vacuum.

Edited by Rivuzu at 11:08:41 13-09-2018
  • Frogofdoom 13 Sep 2018 11:09:08 9,658 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well you say that
  • Rivuzu 13 Sep 2018 11:10:00 17,397 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    most of us.
  • quadfather 13 Sep 2018 11:11:13 32,883 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Rivuzu wrote:
    quadfather wrote:
    Because being sober means you're no fun?

Sorry, most of us don't need alcohol to replace a personality vacuum.
    Wow, it was more tongue in cheek inline with the article, but okay!
  • Dougs 13 Sep 2018 11:13:23 86,487 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    @Dougs I tried something similar when I worked for local government but it was only 4 pints in the hour. Walked back into the office and thought I can't do this so carried on walking straight through and went home. It was the advantage of being in the IT department as nobody ever knew where anyone was.

If it had been 6 I would have probably ended up in hospital.
    If I remember rightly, we did the 1-2pm slot and the doors closed at 4pm on a Friday, so he only had two hours to get through before we went back to the pub. I think I had 3 pints and made myself look busy by wandering round the office. Tbh, it speaks volumes about the stresses of that job. I was pretty much in the pub every hour I wasn't at work or sleeping.
  • quadfather 13 Sep 2018 11:14:24 32,883 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    3 weeks without a beer for me now. It's been pretty easy tbh, when I've felt like a beer, a non-alcoholic one or two has done the job. Yet to find a palatable non-alcoholic red wine though. My sleep is significantly better. It'll all go to shit this weekend, as I have a couple of social things lined up, but I am at least hoping to moderate it some.
    You know, I've never tried the non-alcoholic ones. When I'm playing music, I normally crack open a few cans, and then get frustrated with myself, because I can't react quick enough and my dexterity goes to shit after some beers. That would help.

Though saying that, I'm slowly replacing beer with smoke, with completely negates the feeling for a beer anyway.
  • Dougs 13 Sep 2018 11:23:58 86,487 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    In one of the threads (exercise I think) I posted an article by Adrian Chiles, which is worth a read. He lists his favourite non-alcoholic beers. For lager, for me it's either the Bud Prohibition (way nicer than normal Bud!), Becks Blue or Heineken 0.0%. For a stronger, more ale taste, Brewdog's Nanny State is good.
  • Dougs 13 Sep 2018 11:25:17 86,487 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Here you go. https://www.theguardian.com/food/2018/sep/09/adrian-chiles-top-10-alcohol-free-beers
  • quadfather 13 Sep 2018 11:25:59 32,883 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Dougs

Nice one, I'll have a look at that.
  • sport 13 Sep 2018 11:31:35 14,554 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've tried nearly all of them. The one he's left out that I find quite good is the San Miguel 0%.

I'm actually quite fond of 0% beers in general. They've come along way.
  • Dougs 13 Sep 2018 11:33:26 86,487 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    As Chiles says, even if you just cut down and have a couple of non-alcoholic beers as a substitute, you lower the number of units and calories consumed. That's my plan for this w/e. Alternate between Moretti and Becks Blue!
  • Dougs 13 Sep 2018 11:34:46 86,487 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    sport wrote:
    I've tried nearly all of them. The one he's left out that I find quite good is the San Miguel 0%.

I'm actually quite fond of 0% beers in general. They've come along way.
    I didn't like that. Which is a shame, as I like San Miguel normally. Need to try that Sainsbury's one.
  • quadfather 13 Sep 2018 11:35:44 32,883 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Dougs

Yeah, it would make a lot of sense for me to drink those when I'm doing certain stuff like the music.

At the pub is a different story, but the music thing is a daily occurrence at home, so it would be good then.

Hm, intrigued :)
  • wuntyphyve 13 Sep 2018 11:42:27 10,723 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    This has actually piqued my interest as well and I think I may give a few a try. I'm not a massive drinker but I do like one or two nights most weekends with wine / few beers. I'm trying to stop almost completely as it's interfering with the running so I'm going to give low / no alcohol beers a try to see if that satisfies the habitual need for one (I don't even want to half the time, it's just my brain goes "it's the weekend, relax").

Quad, I know the feeling. I can't fret one note properly on even one drink. Our guitarist however is fucking amazing after a few. Fuck knows how.
  • Vortex808 13 Sep 2018 11:43:15 12,609 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    In one of the threads (exercise I think) I posted an article by Adrian Chiles, which is worth a read. He lists his favourite non-alcoholic beers. For lager, for me it's either the Bud Prohibition (way nicer than normal Bud!), Becks Blue or Heineken 0.0%. For a stronger, more ale taste, Brewdog's Nanny State is good.
    There's a decent one from a Spanish brewing co too. It's called freeDamm and is pretty tasty too. I drank a lot of them out in the back garden in the summer to not just batter into the beer.

I've only spotted it in Morrison's thus far. I slightly prefer it to Becks Blue or Heineken. Nanny state is certainly my favourite for the next best thing to a real beer.

I know it's horses for courses, but I really don't know how you like the bud one though, I tried that and all I could taste was chemicals, it was the worst alcohol free beer I have ever drunk I think.
  • monkehhh 13 Sep 2018 11:43:47 4,962 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Gonna pick up some of the Sainburys Czech and the Nanny State and see what's up. On a short but good spell of cutting down at the moment but I do like a cold, tasty beer.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.