Random Musings Page 1106

• quadfather 13 Sep 2018 11:47:29 33,266 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    wuntyphyve wrote:
    This has actually piqued my interest as well and I think I may give a few a try. I'm not a massive drinker but I do like one or two nights most weekends with wine / few beers. I'm trying to stop almost completely as it's interfering with the running so I'm going to give low / no alcohol beers a try to see if that satisfies the habitual need for one (I don't even want to half the time, it's just my brain goes "it's the weekend, relax").

Quad, I know the feeling. I can't fret one note properly on even one drink. Our guitarist however is fucking amazing after a few. Fuck knows how.
    I'm the same - soon as I'm home, I go into auto-pilot relax mode.

The bass is weird - as I'm learning the double bass now (pretty much all the time now) it's ok sober, then it's fucking great after 2-3 beers, and then it goes downhill again. It's like pool.

However, with a smoke, everything is just fucking magical with it. I think that's my end game plan. I've never witnessed a more beautiful union than smoke and music.

Edit - oh and Wunty, if you want some callused fingers, play the double bass for a week or two. My fingers are like iron now :)

Edited by quadfather at 11:50:52 13-09-2018
  • fontgeeksogood 13 Sep 2018 11:55:42 3,221 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Spoiler alert: your ears are just as pissed as your fingers
  • quadfather 13 Sep 2018 11:56:21 33,266 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @fontgeeksogood

Pro-tip - record the session with mates and listen to it next day.
  • fontgeeksogood 13 Sep 2018 11:59:22 3,221 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Heavens, no.

I already know what twenty minutes of pinch harmonics with accompanying non-decaying mellotron notes held for far too long sounds like
  • quadfather 13 Sep 2018 12:04:15 33,266 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You have to put yourself through it unfortunately :)

Probably why I get pissed so much to put up with it.

Edited by quadfather at 12:05:52 13-09-2018
  • consoledelight 13 Sep 2018 12:15:43 231 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So i dont get all this cosplay stuff is being treated so seriously. Kotaku have yet another cosplay item. Since when is dress up a profession. Holy shit. Someone please explain it to me. And judging by how over sexualized the girls make themselves can they really wonder why women in games are also portrayed so
    I guess im old and miserable.
  • consoledelight 13 Sep 2018 12:15:45 231 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So i dont get all this cosplay stuff is being treated so seriously. Kotaku have yet another cosplay item. Since when is dress up a profession. Holy shit. Someone please explain it to me. And judging by how over sexualized the girls make themselves can they really wonder why women in games are also portrayed so
    I guess im old and miserable.
  • wuntyphyve 13 Sep 2018 12:30:08 11,012 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @quadfather Double bass going well then? I would have fallen into / through it by now if it was me. I'm curious as to what wonderful sounds you're making, fire me some stuff to have a listen to :D.

Ha, my calluses are grand now. I swear I could quite happily push my finger into a car cigarette lighter and not feel it.

Erm. I think I would feel it.

I'm totally trying that Brew Dog Nanny State this weekend. Looks well tasty.
  • quadfather 13 Sep 2018 12:50:00 33,266 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @wuntyphyve

It's the best instrument I've ever played!

It's different from electric bass - it's more about the insane tone you get out of it and it's very much more how you compliment the rest of the rhythm section. Also less is more etc. It is so much fun to play.

For example - listen to diamond by a guy called Klint. It's the snatch opening theme - but just imagine being able to knock that out. It's absolutely awesome. It makes jams come alive more when you all get the groove going.

It has its own stand away from everything else - it has to as it's fucking massive! - https://photos.app.goo.gl/WLK8rbCrPgeiUQ117

I'll record something and send it over :)
  • Dougs 13 Sep 2018 13:26:31 87,127 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    I know it's horses for courses, but I really don't know how you like the bud one though, I tried that and all I could taste was chemicals, it was the worst alcohol free beer I have ever drunk I think.
    Meh, I don't mind it. It's not my favourite but I can drink it no worries. And Tesco were knocking it out at 2.30 for 4, half the price of Nanny State!
  • Vortex808 13 Sep 2018 14:03:50 12,777 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    :D

I only tried it when Morrison's were hawking it cheap, I quickly found out why.

Bud prohibition was even worse than the regular bud!!
  • Salaman 13 Sep 2018 14:16:49 23,274 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I've yet to find a 0% alcohol beer that tastes nice (although I haven't been looking very hard) but I quite like some of the 'Radler' beers. They're quite low on alcohol. Only 2% instead of 4.5 or 5.

Quite refreshing on warm days. You could have a few of those without having to endure the 0% taste and still manage to play music correctly.
  • Alastair 13 Sep 2018 14:54:56 22,718 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I like a bit of Radler on holiday.
    They were selling it in 2l bottles in the supermarkets in Croatia.
  • brokenkey 13 Sep 2018 15:01:33 9,950 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    They've pretty much stopped selling Radler beers in the UK now :( I know its only a cloudy shandy, but I like the branding!
  • wuntyphyve 13 Sep 2018 21:53:14 11,012 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @quadfather Soon as I started listening to it I recognised it. Yeah man that would be brilliant. One day I'm going to have a go of one I reckon. They are too cool not to.
  • quadfather 14 Sep 2018 07:24:21 33,266 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @wuntyphyve

Yeah you should as least have a few goes on one. Takes a little while for you to get used to the size, handling it, posture etc. And then there's the massive action on it which takes a bit longer. But then you forget about electric bass and just adjust.

I had a go on my electric bass last night after some time on the double, and it's totally different
  • JanetSnakehole 14 Sep 2018 07:34:30 459 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Yeah you should as least have a few goes on one. Takes a little while for you to get used to the size, handling it, posture etc. And then there's the massive action on it which takes a bit longer.
    Typical pegging chat.
  • quadfather 14 Sep 2018 08:35:49 33,266 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It was the massive action wasn't it
  • challenge_hanukkah 14 Sep 2018 08:52:24 8,438 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Does anyone fancy a beer?
  • quadfather 14 Sep 2018 09:01:24 33,266 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I will this afternoon - last day in this job today \o/
  • challenge_hanukkah 14 Sep 2018 09:05:58 8,438 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Cool. What time?

Where should we go?
  • quadfather 14 Sep 2018 09:07:20 33,266 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I leave the office at 12, but I'm sunny Macclesfield, miles away from the delights on Manchester. I'll have to be a low key village affair.
  • challenge_hanukkah 14 Sep 2018 09:08:52 8,438 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Macclesfield would be a bit upsetting for me to get to.
  • richarddavies 14 Sep 2018 09:10:22 6,521 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Aww I wish I got a 12 finish. Not in the mood today. I work in Stockport but I live in Macclesfield! Only been here about 18 months but it's a pretty nice area. I think there's more roundabouts than there are people for some weird reason though.
  • challenge_hanukkah 14 Sep 2018 09:12:15 8,438 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I finish at 13:15 on Friday's usually.

I used to live in Edgeley. I miss Stockport and drinking in Winter's.
  • thelzdking 14 Sep 2018 09:14:17 8,622 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You lot should come out with me for one. Out in town now.
  • challenge_hanukkah 14 Sep 2018 09:14:56 8,438 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Not until they perfect instant teleportation.
  • quadfather 14 Sep 2018 09:31:37 33,266 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    richarddavies wrote:
    Aww I wish I got a 12 finish. Not in the mood today. I work in Stockport but I live in Macclesfield! Only been here about 18 months but it's a pretty nice area. I think there's more roundabouts than there are people for some weird reason though.
    How bad is the M60 traffic in the morning, if you take that road? I'm coming from the SK14 area east of Manchester, and I start my new job in Trafford Park on Monday - which means I have the delight of the M60. It's normally only fucked around the Stockport junction though isn't it?
  • richarddavies 14 Sep 2018 09:42:10 6,521 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    richarddavies wrote:
    How bad is the M60 traffic in the morning, if you take that road? I'm coming from the SK14 area east of Manchester, and I start my new job in Trafford Park on Monday - which means I have the delight of the M60. It's normally only fucked around the Stockport junction though isn't it?
    I grew up in Hyde which is sk14, M60 Can be a bit of a nightmare depending on the time your on it. If your okay setting off a bit earlier for work you should be okay but if you hit it at the wrong time it can be a ballache.
  • quadfather 14 Sep 2018 09:44:15 33,266 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @richarddavies

Yeah, I'm not far from Hyde - Broadbottom, the village a few miles away.

That's what people have been saying too. I think I'll set off around 6:45 first, and then see how it goes.

At least it's busy at the moment, with the kids back etc, so I can hopefully judge it a bit better.

Ballache, but not much I can do about it really I guess.

Anyway, did I mention I'm leaving work today at 12? :)

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.