Following Random Musings Page 1129

• JamboWayOh 9 Oct 2018 14:10:10 10,235 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    neilka wrote:
    The origins of fake news span back into the early days of the newspaper industry, where hair-brained tall stories would be made up to fill space, until real stories and eventually enough ads and cartoon illustrations could replace them. Fake news is the modern equivalent of space fillers.

As for the legal system and society, no disrespect to either, but are human creations and subject to the corruptible natures of male/female and agendas. This is the way such will always be, sadly. The legal system for instance is very ideology based, so if you are not an ideology person, much may be moot (this is why they ask you to swear upon a bible, even if you have never read the thing or go to church). There is no option if you don't believe and refrain from such religious ideology, as I do in life, as far as I'm aware, correct if wrong. To me, and as a creative writer, both bibles old and new, are but edited story books of chronicle of past times, when we had no records, libraries, iPhones and internet to maintain knowledge. And even in those bibles, it has ill stuff like rape and murder is told of, ironically and weird. Many forget such, only quoting parts they like, no offense to those who like those books. There's good knowledge stuff in those story books to, so perhaps the good/bad balances out. Frankly I don't want to take the bibles out of context, in this post as such wouldn't be fair, on such edited texts. Hey, believe what you want so long as you don't be a dingus about it, thoughtlessly violent, oppressive and persecuting others, let me live in peace and happy while here, do and thrive well in my short time alive. I still respect the choice of others to choose what they want from life, so long as they don't try to end my life for choosing something cool and different. Some great people I work with believe what they will, but I still love, appreciate and understand them as best as I can, regardless and despite of their personal and private religious ideology stuff.

As for society, it is but a nice name for a group of people, be they a crazy cult, a motor cycle club, a D&D fan of game players, or those of higher circles political and station climbing. Cabal is also a name for a group. Party is also a name for a group, so be careful of words and their meaning. Groups/parties/societies, also have room for positive, middling or negative change, influence, corruption and impact. Wherever you are, do well to stay on target and be positive and let no group consume you, or cloud your own mind and heart.
    Glossing over this brain fart masquerading as words all I did note that a) he's still describing himself as a creative writer, which is surprising as I didn't think shit scrawled on his basement walls counted and b) he works with people?!
  • challenge_hanukkah 9 Oct 2018 14:17:25 8,786 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Where did SproutManky spout that madness?
  • THFourteen 9 Oct 2018 14:25:28 50,198 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The guy with the stomach issues ate chilli for lunch today.

jesus christ it stinks around here. Hope people dont associate it with the brown person i.e. me.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 9 Oct 2018 14:27:08 4,654 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My god, he's still posting comments like crazy, either not realising or not caring that nobody ever responds to his posts or votes them up or down. I think my favourite recent effort is:

SpaceMonkey77 wrote:
    It is impossible to know everything of everyone, even in business and life circles. EA will weather their storm, as will sports people. There are many who are motivated by coin gain and exploit to such, mind.

I recall a good few years back in the U.K, there was a woman who's name I won't mention who made such ill claim, only to be found to be pushing falsehood for coin and gain, so it does happen, while not spoken of as widely and openly, because it makes women look like gold diggers motivated by coin gain, and many would and do not wish women to be painted in such a negative light, thus such may undermine their overall suffrage and feminism bright (my apologies and no disrespect, you can have your feminism, women, as I'm all for gender equality. However, next to no woman wishes to spoil that suffrage movement, and so many can form a certain view, to not compromise such). Equality is best for all, no doubt, than one gender above another.

What's worse is those who use such so casually to wreck lives. Don't do that. Some due to my doing well, might try to use such in an ill way at me. Very sad and depressing when you've done nothing wrong, but some claim, otherwise. (This is why I must be careful here online, in what I say, as some seek to entrap/set me up for nonsense reasons and things that are nothing to do with me). My woman adult partners in life, have been few and always mutually consenting so, to keep things less complicated and less chance of ailments or surprise brood, to boot. I make rule that if a woman doesn't want me in her company to compliment her, and have mutual adult fun with me, or I'm not pleasing or making her smile, then I can take my leave for something else solo and fun. I can't speak for others, but going out to socialize and meet wonderful women can be fun (just don't be a silly dingus, folks). I arrive in peace and happy (at bar/nightclub) and I go home in peace and happy, and sleep well and comfortable at night, even if alone. Its the best plan. Overall, treat your type of/all women as well as you can, not expecting anything back, and they may/will return such in kind. (and mutually consenting threesomes can be fun too. Yay!)

While both men and women do have horrible, terrible experiences, sometimes unreported or questionably complicated, IMO, real sufferers of such terrible trauma and abuse will or should care less of coin, while such can help in life. Each to their own, as I know no one personally who's been through such. Do well to make your adult mutual and consenting fun time fun and cool, without getting weird, uncomfortable or dark. This is my personal view and not associated with other peoples or organizations, good. Please do not use such out of context to exploit me or others. Thank you! That is all and be safe out there.
    So there you have it. Follow SpaceMonkey's example and don't get weird, uncomfortable or dark.
  • richarddavies 9 Oct 2018 14:28:01 6,538 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @THFourteen

Just be adult about it and start loudly shouting

"IT WASN'T THE BROWN PERSON!! IT WASN'T THE BROWN PERSON!!" while staring at him dead eyed.

Edited by richarddavies at 14:28:31 09-10-2018
  • richarddavies 9 Oct 2018 14:30:22 6,538 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I miss Spacemonkey's insane ramblings on the forum.

• Juz 9 Oct 2018 15:55:23 3,261 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Fascinating (and elucidating) response to the front page article about HP Lovecraft being A Nasty Person From The Past.

It's evidently prompted some really quite knowledgeable (and eloquent) people to respond..way more than the usual spack-fest (Spacemonkey) it pukes up.

Haven't seen a response from the author yet, I don't think:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-10-09-games-really-need-to-fall-out-of-love-with-lovecraft
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 9 Oct 2018 16:28:16 4,654 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Juz You just linked to the article itself, rather than to the response in question. URL needs fixing?

I gave up on the article after a couple of paragrpahs. It seemed to belong to a particular school of historical/literary criticism which involves picking at historical figures to point out why they were really bad people when judged by modern standards. It's pointless and intellectually vapid, completely ignoring history and context. It makes people feel good about themselves, but doesn't actually add anything of value.
  • quadfather 9 Oct 2018 16:30:49 33,433 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Rogueywon

Yeah I read that article and some of the comments too. Agreed, all vaccous pap.
  • macmurphy 9 Oct 2018 17:04:15 3,586 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I sometimes feel a bit like Eurogamerís in danger of disappearing up itís own arse.

Iíve got nothing against an opinion piece or a good piece of well written and interesting journalism. I just donít see many on EG.

Lately they just seem to be taking loads of random contributions that would be sub par in a student newspaper. They report every half-arsed story from other sites, but seem to do hardly any reviews.

I go to Nintendo Life way more for news and reviews. Forumís still good and Eurogamer is a free site so I guess I shouldnít moan. But most of the front page stuff is snowflake bullshit.
  • Phattso 9 Oct 2018 17:10:14 24,135 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    re: SpaceMonkey I think I'm going to start using "coin gain" as my go-to term in salary negotiations. All the while speaking of myself in the third person.

"Whilst Employee Phattso is not motivated primarily by coin gain, if he doesn't see some vertical movement in the coin gain department y'all might be looking at a pile-o'-shite gain in the codebase. Food for thought. Peace and good luck!"
  • Frogofdoom 9 Oct 2018 17:16:42 10,930 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Best thing about dedicated Nintendo games sites is that you don't need to read the review as you know it ends with 10/10 :D
  • macmurphy 9 Oct 2018 18:40:03 3,586 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Frogofdoom

I know what youíre saying and I pretty much just minus one from every score as theyíre too generous.

At least they do reviews though. Eurogamer Switch coverage is pony.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 9 Oct 2018 18:48:23 382 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Phattso wrote:
    re: SpaceMonkey I think I'm going to start using "coin gain" as my go-to term in salary negotiations. All the while speaking of myself in the third person.

"Whilst Employee Phattso is not motivated primarily by coin gain, if he doesn't see some vertical movement in the coin gain department y'all might be looking at a pile-o'-shite gain in the codebase. Food for thought. Peace and good luck!"
    Thanks mate. Just had to reply to an obnoxious wanker of a PM's snidey bloody email without using the words "go fuck yourself" so I needed a laugh. :)
  • quadfather 9 Oct 2018 18:50:36 33,433 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah what is it with "coins" in his posts? That stood out from last time on here
  • Frogofdoom 9 Oct 2018 18:50:58 10,930 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, the reviews here aren't my cup of tea any more. I tend to watch a few different YouTubers reviews nowadays for things I have my doubts about. I do enjoy some of Ian's content though.
  • Juz 9 Oct 2018 19:06:42 3,261 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    @Juz You just linked to the article itself, rather than to the response in question. URL needs fixing?

I gave up on the article after a couple of paragrpahs. It seemed to belong to a particular school of historical/literary criticism which involves picking at historical figures to point out why they were really bad people when judged by modern standards. It's pointless and intellectually vapid, completely ignoring history and context. It makes people feel good about themselves, but doesn't actually add anything of value.
    Oh I donít know about linking and all that guff. You get the idea!

Agree with you and 99% of the people who commented; just sounded like yet another angry Millennial rant against anything older than a few years and had absolutely no substance.

Problem is that seems to sum up most ďdebatesĒ these days.

I remember when all this was fields etc etc.

Edit: spelling.

Edited by Juz at 19:07:37 09-10-2018
  • JamboWayOh 9 Oct 2018 20:03:13 10,235 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    macmurphy wrote:
    I sometimes feel a bit like Eurogamerís in danger of disappearing up itís own arse.

Iíve got nothing against an opinion piece or a good piece of well written and interesting journalism. I just donít see many on EG.

Lately they just seem to be taking loads of random contributions that would be sub par in a student newspaper. They report every half-arsed story from other sites, but seem to do hardly any reviews.

I go to Nintendo Life way more for news and reviews. Forumís still good and Eurogamer is a free site so I guess I shouldnít moan. But most of the front page stuff is snowflake bullshit.
    Whilst I agree with you, you kinda ruined it with the snowflake comment at the end.
  • fontgeeksogood 9 Oct 2018 20:13:24 3,670 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    What sort of director doesn't have his own office
  • elstoof 9 Oct 2018 20:15:49 21,909 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The sort who gets sent on Calippo runs by his team in the summer
  • macmurphy 9 Oct 2018 20:21:23 3,586 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @JamboWayOh

What term would you use? I typed lefty and deleted it. Iím struggling to articulate it but you obviously know what I mean. Touchy feely? Arty farty? Hipster bollocks?

Itís just general navel gazing. What would you call it?
  • THFourteen 9 Oct 2018 20:21:52 50,198 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    The sort who gets sent on Calippo runs by his team in the summer
    McFlurrys actually
  • JamboWayOh 9 Oct 2018 20:24:44 10,235 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    macmurphy wrote:
    @JamboWayOh

What term would you use? I typed lefty and deleted it. Iím struggling to articulate it but you obviously know what I mean. Touchy feely? Arty farty? Hipster bollocks?

Itís just general navel gazing. What would you call it?
    Sixth form level writing is one.
  • Deleted user 9 October 2018 20:52:42
    The writing put me in mind of someone with a B in AS level biology trying to perform brain surgery.
  • Juz 10 Oct 2018 07:21:02 3,261 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Christ, Iím sure that in sixth form I would have been expected to qualify every sweeping statement I made with unambiguous evidence to justify the viewpoint in order that it didnít just look like I was denigrating the subject.
  • quadfather 11 Oct 2018 13:41:41 33,433 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm on London for two days. Any decent boozers near angel / Islington way, near the business design centre? I haven't a scooby.
  • elstoof 11 Oct 2018 13:52:19 21,909 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I used to live right by there. Thereís a couple of good pubs, The Albion, The Crown, Draperís Arms are all good. The ones on Upper Street are typical high street boozers, thereís a place called Smokehouse not too far that does good food and beer. If you like cocktails thereís 4 Sisters or 69 Colebrook Row. On the Canonbury side thereís the Earl of Essex which has its own brewery, and the Narrowboat is right on the canal if that floats your boat

Edited by elstoof at 13:55:15 11-10-2018
  • Graxlar_v3 11 Oct 2018 13:57:09 4,568 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Be prepared to spend more on a pint then you think is possible.
  • minky-kong 11 Oct 2018 14:00:52 14,045 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Brewhouse near Angel station is good, has it's own microbrewery.
  • RichDC 11 Oct 2018 14:40:52 7,984 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    I'm on London for two days. Any decent boozers near angel / Islington way, near the business design centre? I haven't a scooby.
    The Earl of Essex
    Craft Beer Co
    The Brewhouse
    The Three Johns

All good

Edited by RichDC at 14:44:58 11-10-2018

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.