Random Musings Page 1175

• macmurphy 6 Nov 2018 13:44:47 3,479 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    And if heís already a bit fragile heíll spunk the inheritance within the year. The mental game is the one that makes or breaks players more than skill.
  • challenge_hanukkah 6 Nov 2018 13:45:08 8,395 posts
    Seen 37 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    You could always set up a gofundme for a second crack.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 6 Nov 2018 13:48:26 4,526 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Guy I knew in my uni days (I wouldn't say a friend) racked up a hell of a lot of debt through poker. Maths student with an ego the size of a planet, figured he was smarter than anybody else and could beat all those plebs who thought they were good at the game through the simple application of maths.

Would always tell us how brilliantly he was doing at it, until suddenly he was £40k in debt and begging for loans.
  • ZuluHero 6 Nov 2018 13:48:47 6,721 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    There must be a very fine line to stay the right amount of drunk to maintain that balance.
  • macmurphy 6 Nov 2018 13:54:14 3,479 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @challenge_hanukkah

I finished up 20 or 30k. But itís a brutal game and really hard to beat these days. So many websites offering tutorials mean than almost anyone can get pretty good pretty quick. Itís also fucking boring. Itís good once in a while but grinding day in and day out is about as much fun as your jam/wasp/bellend habit.

I googled Blackley. Seems like it has some bad bits and some slightly bad bits. On a forum someone wrote:

I would just say remember West Didsbury 15years ago? You wouldn't recognise it if you went through it then but now its very cosmopolitan. I can't say for sure but I reckon Blackley will be the trendy secret of North Manchester in a couple years.

Hasnít happened yet then?😂
  • challenge_hanukkah 6 Nov 2018 14:01:23 8,395 posts
    Seen 37 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I used to live West Didsbury. Blackley was a culture shock.

It's a fucking dump. Gentrifying it wouldn't be easy.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 6 Nov 2018 14:05:03 12,646 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I went through a phase of being moderately addicted to online poker. I found that actually the bit that was most thrilling was the moment in which I decided to play. Got a real rush out of that. But then the game itself was generally incredibly boring.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 6 Nov 2018 14:07:57 16,724 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I was the same with Yahoo Pool.
  • challenge_hanukkah 6 Nov 2018 14:11:06 8,395 posts
    Seen 37 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I was the same with tiddly winks show jumping.
  • macmurphy 6 Nov 2018 14:14:53 3,479 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Iím actually sat in a live game in Stratford. Poker players are all cunts as well. Room smells of BO and despair.
  • challenge_hanukkah 6 Nov 2018 14:18:26 8,395 posts
    Seen 37 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Is GoodForm there?
  • macmurphy 6 Nov 2018 14:20:39 3,479 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Thereís a fucking rogues gallery of degenerates. He could be any one of them.
  • RaymondLuxuryYacht 6 Nov 2018 14:22:39 282 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote:
    There must be a very fine line to stay the right amount of drunk to maintain that balance.
    Slightly less than two drinks, I believe.
  • JanetSnakehole 6 Nov 2018 14:23:29 417 posts
    Seen 35 seconds ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    I had a friend who was supposedly doing alright as a pro online poker player for a while but he eventually went back to having a normal job. I don't know if he started losing, wasn't making enough or got bored. He was a very logical person so would have had a better chance than a lot of people at making an overall profit.

I read up a bit on some of the gambling psychology and that was interesting. Many people think they're are on a red hot streak and their luck is in so can't stop, then the next night they're losing so their luck has to change and they can't stop.
  • JanetSnakehole 6 Nov 2018 14:24:08 417 posts
    Seen 35 seconds ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    RaymondLuxuryYacht wrote:
    ZuluHero wrote:
    The Inebriati?
  • RaymondLuxuryYacht 6 Nov 2018 14:26:16 282 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    JanetSnakehole wrote:
    RaymondLuxuryYacht wrote:
    ZuluHero wrote:
    The Inebriati?
    \o/
  • macmurphy 6 Nov 2018 14:40:30 3,479 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Pokerís really streaky and people donít realise it. There was a graph a couple of years ago from a pro and it looked like he had this steady upward line of profit. But actually in the middle there was this tiny blip - a downswing. But it was something obscene like 100k hands. For most people thatís more than theyíd play in a year. So itís hard to know if youíre a winning player without putting in serious volume.

And like I said the biggest thing is the mental game. Often your profit comes from the times you walk away from a small loss or have the discipline to manage your bank roll and come down in stakes when required. Thereís plenty of really talented players that blew up and left the game. Lots of others that just play pedestrian, grindy poker but still eke our a profit. Best poker players are maths weenies that are dead inside.

Speaking personally the deader I got, the less I cared about the game, the less I enjoyed the game. And then it just becomes a fucking boring desk job. I still play every so often and then I enjoy it. Couldnít do it full time though.
  • Psychotext 6 Nov 2018 18:43:16 63,929 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    My old samsung tablet that I use for travelling (films / games) has started to bite the dust. I assume these days I'm basically best just grabbing one of those iPad 9.7s?

The arse seems to have fallen out of the Android tablet market, and all I can find are either dodgy looking Chinese models, or overpriced Samsungs.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 6 Nov 2018 21:23:25 319 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    @Psychotext what about an Amazon tablet? If it's just for films mostly, their fire HD 10 is pretty decent and is cheap.

Not hugely powerful and cameras are poor, but aside from that....
  • Psychotext 6 Nov 2018 21:25:13 63,929 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah possibly. Can you play games on those OK?
  • GuybrushFreepwood 6 Nov 2018 21:39:57 319 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Yes, standard android games. As I say it's not hugely powerful and it's running a lower version of Android, so it's never going to play bleeding edge games but can play loads.
  • JamboWayOh 6 Nov 2018 21:42:57 9,867 posts
    Seen 44 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    My old samsung tablet that I use for travelling (films / games) has started to bite the dust. I assume these days I'm basically best just grabbing one of those iPad 9.7s?

The arse seems to have fallen out of the Android tablet market, and all I can find are either dodgy looking Chinese models, or overpriced Samsungs.
    Huawei make pretty good tablets at a wide range of prices, the M3 series is a good shout.
  • thelzdking 6 Nov 2018 21:43:56 8,612 posts
    Seen 49 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Psychotext

In the Android Hardware thread someone was saying that the Lenovo Tab 4 was pretty good. I had a Lenovo Tab 2 and I loved it.
  • RichDC 6 Nov 2018 22:01:55 7,947 posts
    Seen 3 seconds ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Headshot only or one full body photo at a weird angle = fat
  • rockavitch 6 Nov 2018 23:47:54 1,050 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's the word "bubbly" that gets me. Not because it means you are a big lady (which it often always does) but because to me it just means you're loud and incredibly obnoxious with drink in you.
  • Youthist 6 Nov 2018 23:49:51 13,458 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I found out Jonny Depp is older than Nigel Farage and it did me in a bit.
  • JamboWayOh 7 Nov 2018 00:01:14 9,867 posts
    Seen 44 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    rockavitch wrote:
    It's the word "bubbly" that gets me. Not because it means you are a big lady (which it often always does) but because to me it just means you're loud and incredibly obnoxious with drink in you.
    I hate that as much as the 'if you can't handle me at my worst, you don't deserve me at my best' line. Essentially you're saying you're a nightmare to be around but are trying to dress it up as some empowerment bullshit.
  • thelzdking 7 Nov 2018 00:27:18 8,612 posts
    Seen 49 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    rockavitch wrote:
    I hate that as much as the 'if you can't handle me at my worst, you don't deserve me at my best' line. Essentially you're saying you're a nightmare to be around but are trying to dress it up as some empowerment bullshit.
    Someone on my FB feed constantly posts those "I want someone who will treat me like a princess even when I'm being a bitch" type memes, which is understandable because she is hugely capricious and volatile, and has driven away a number of partners due to the fact that she is a nutter. Obviously it's their fault for not being able to handle her though.
  • Armoured_Bear 7 Nov 2018 00:35:24 24,705 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    A few months ago I met this English guy in a hotel in Japan, he was a Doctor of Physics who, after getting his PhD, cab working and got good enough at online poker that it funds his travels round the world. He just travels and plays online now and again to top his funds up.
    Lucky man.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.