Following Random Musings Page 1242

• Deleted user 3 February 2019 16:53:32
    @FussyDuck

Yeah still on the Metformin.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 4 Feb 2019 12:27:28 1,057 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Flippin knackered. Spent the last week looking after my wife who has been pretty sick. She is feeling better now (ate a meal for the first time yesterday) which is good, but after a week of looking after her, the kids, cats and work, I'm bushed. Really struggling to keep going now I'm back at work and the initial panic of catching up has passed.
  • Armoured_Bear 4 Feb 2019 13:08:15 26,898 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    AddyJB wrote:
    I need hivemind advice. I'm getting bad stomach pains minutes after I eat or drink anything. Been happening a few days. I've got the mustard out ready to apply but not sure what the issue is. Will try and get to see the quack tomorrow.
    Get some probiotic yoghurts/capsules to improve your gut bacteria, see if that helps.
  • elstoof 4 Feb 2019 13:10:31 23,451 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Havenít probiotics been debunked about a million times now
  • Deleted user 4 February 2019 13:12:45
    Go and see the doctor. It could be dairy that's fucking you up, so bombing yourself with yogurt potentially isn't going to help.
  • challenge_hanukkah 4 Feb 2019 13:12:55 10,908 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    bifidus digestivum 4 lyfe
  • Jono62 4 Feb 2019 13:16:07 22,411 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    challenge_hanukkah wrote:
    bifidus digestivum 4 lyfe
    Nah bruv, its all about Bifidus Regularis.
  • Dougs 4 Feb 2019 13:17:46 89,602 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    AddyJB wrote:
    @You-can-call-me-kal

No but I do take tabs for diabetes and blood pressure. Its doing my head in as it's putting me off eating. Not the end of the world that's for sure.
    Wonder if that'll work for my brother... Just been diagnosed with Type 2 and has been on BP meds for 20+ years. No surprise as he's about 5ft 7 and 20 stone and drinks 6-10 pints a day. I'm not sure he'll get the chance to have an event that scares him enough to change his lifestyle.

(hope you're feeling better...)
  • challenge_hanukkah 4 Feb 2019 13:22:44 10,908 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The BBC says it's bollocks, but that's probably down to George Soros meddling with the MSM to make us all shit in a feminine way or something.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/health-45434753
  • Armoured_Bear 4 Feb 2019 13:23:15 26,898 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Not that I know of.

Links?
  • Psychotext 4 Feb 2019 13:36:15 65,166 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Not that I've seen. Unless you're talking in terms of them being some sort of wonder drug.
  • elstoof 4 Feb 2019 13:42:12 23,451 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    https://www.newscientist.com/article/2178860-probiotics-are-mostly-useless-and-can-actually-hurt-you/amp/
  • GuybrushFreepwood 4 Feb 2019 13:43:14 1,057 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    elstoof wrote:
    Not that I know of.

Links?
    As far as I'm aware (and I was looking this subject up the middle of last week), they are considered useful post antibiotics, for IBS and eczema. However, the fact they are not tailored to an individual makes them of variable efficacy (as does them being an order of magnitude less than the existing levels of bacteria in the body).
  • GuybrushFreepwood 4 Feb 2019 13:48:03 1,057 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    elstoof wrote:
    https://www.newscientist.com/article/2178860-probiotics-are-mostly-useless-and-can-actually-hurt-you/amp/
    Contrariwise: https://www.bmj.com/content/361/bmj.k2179
  • Armoured_Bear 4 Feb 2019 13:54:27 26,898 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    GuybrushFreepwood wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    elstoof wrote:
    Not that I know of.

Links?
    As far as I'm aware (and I was looking this subject up the middle of last week), they are considered useful post antibiotics, for IBS and eczema. However, the fact they are not tailored to an individual makes them of variable efficacy (as does them being an order of magnitude less than the existing levels of bacteria in the body).
    Ta, what about eating fermented stuff, is that more effective?
  • Salaman 4 Feb 2019 13:57:52 23,643 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The best way to sort your gut bacteria out is an anal insert of healthy gut bacteria.

I'm at work, so I'm not providing any links. You can google fecal transplant yourself.
  • askew 4 Feb 2019 14:01:25 19,307 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Super-pooper shining like the sun
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 4 Feb 2019 14:03:44 20,121 posts
    Seen 1 second ago ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    My alternative medicine sage Raoul is a big advocate of fecal insertion therapy. You only need a very small amount, no more than a thin coating on his glans, and the trick is to get it as deep in there as possible. For the sake of a few days of gauze in my underpants the money I'm saving on Rennies is worth it alone.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 4 Feb 2019 15:04:46 1,057 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    GuybrushFreepwood wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    elstoof wrote:
    Not that I know of.

Links?
    Ta, what about eating fermented stuff, is that more effective?
    Sorry...work got in the way.

Prebiotics (food that the healthy bacteria in your body like) seem to have a lot of scientific evidence that they work. I've heard kimchi and kambucha are both good for the gut. There is a good Audible series that I listened to about Gut health recently and I've listened to a few podcasts on the subject.
  • Deleted user 4 February 2019 15:12:20
    GuybrushFreepwood wrote:
    I've listened to a few podcasts on the subject.
    They all sponsored by companies like Actimel by any chance?
  • neilka 4 Feb 2019 15:28:14 22,559 posts
    Seen 29 seconds ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The last thing ecosse needs is more bacteria.
  • Frogofdoom 4 Feb 2019 15:30:09 13,432 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    He would morph into a super virus that would end the human race.
  • ChocNut 5 Feb 2019 09:53:44 2,443 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Apparently Iíve high blood pressure and am a walking stroke victim or something.

I feel like my blood pressure went up with the info on top of the stress I already have.

Took today off (mostly) so hopefully I wonít have to give anyone here my stuff - especially as Iíve only had a few hours with resi 2 :(

Edited by ChocNut at 09:54:00 05-02-2019
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 5 Feb 2019 10:01:18 5,981 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @ChocNut I was diagnosed with that last year. Went to the walk-in centre with a roaring headache and severe dizziness, they did a BP reading and it was 207/138. So far, I've not come across anybody who's beaten my "high score" - though maybe you have?

Taking so many pills for it now that I rattle when I walk.
  • General_Martok 5 Feb 2019 10:11:38 716 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I was diagnosed with high blood pressure about 18 years ago when I first started uni. They gave me some pill to take for it and I felt absolutely shit.

I stopped taking them and went to the doctor again (different doctor same surgery) who promptly said I should have never have been give pills in the first place! They needed to do more tests.

While they were doing said tests I started to do more exercise (I was a fatty) low and behold the BP went down and stabilised.

Basically try and do more cardio.

18 years on...a new doctor has spotted my BP is borderline but instead of chucking pills at me I've been referred for more tests. I've been injured for 2 months without any serious cardio but I'm building up again to more cardio.

I'm pretty sure the BP will fall again (I hope).

Long story short: EXERCISE WILL HELP
  • Graxlar_v3 5 Feb 2019 11:14:18 6,870 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I was diagnosed with high blood pressure about 3 years ago.

I have taken the meds about 30% of the time :/.
  • ChocNut 5 Feb 2019 11:36:48 2,443 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @General_Martok Yeah, thatís my plan. I have a history of bad luck with doctors (they donít understand me and I donít understand them). I know my own regime and I know why Iím very unhealthy. A lot of it is outside my control but with this warning Iím going to drop a bunch of responsibilities until I get my health back

@Rogueywon 186/128

Thanks for the replies lads

Couldnít even discuss it with the missus for various reasons

Edited by ChocNut at 11:37:36 05-02-2019
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 5 Feb 2019 11:42:53 5,981 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Pills are really the only way for me to manage my BP. I'm not overweight. I'm not massively unfit (though a bit more exercise wouldn't hurt). My diet and alcohol consumption are within normal parameters.

I just get hit by family history, on both sides of the family. My dad's been on BP medication since he was my age, as have all of his brothers. Every male relative on my mum's side has also had BP problems. The medication has it down in the normal range again and I'm not getting any side effects. Just need to accept I'm going to be taking this stuff for the rest of my life.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.