Random Musings Page 1550

• andytheadequate 22 May 2020 19:53:25 9,307 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    The evolution of language: The Mrs is video calling her mum who is in the middle of a big clean. She keeps referring to the under stairs cupboard as 'the glory hole'.
    I once went to a house viewing with my girlfriend and her parents. My mother in law kept talking about how great it is to have a house with a glory hall and how often she used hers. The woman showing us around the house was in the mid 50s, but the way she had to suppress a laugh suggests she knew the modern meaning!
  • BillMurray 22 May 2020 20:09:27 9,589 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Post deleted
  • IRWATWO 23 May 2020 07:25:03 764 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    https://youtu.be/e0jtq_LvidY
  • Fake_Blood 1 Jun 2020 02:35:12 10,570 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    First mosquito bite of the year. It got me on my hand and in my neck. I found it pretty quickly after waking up and killed it. I generally respect all life, like this week I even caught a moth in my kitchen with a glass and put it outside. Iím thinking however long evolution has been going on these insects have survived as long as us, so I respect that.
    But not mosquitoes, they all have to die.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 1 Jun 2020 08:50:44 9,336 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Here's a weird one. A couple of weeks back, I filled in one of those customer surveys they sometimes ask you to do after ordering a takeaway online. Just had an e-mail to say I've won one of the prizes, but not what the prize is.

The whole thing looks dubious as hell. There's a link in the e-mail, which I followed on an iPhone where I figured the risk of malware was greatly reduced if this whole thing is dodgy. It takes you to a page that asks you to link your Amazon account, by filling in your username and password, as apparently this is how they fulfill/deliver the prize. And they still haven't told me what it is.

All of which sets many big red alarm bells ringing. Thing is, the survey seems to have been a genuine one and I've tracked back order numbers and stuff, which all match up.

Soooo... do I dare go through with it and risk becoming the latest person being #compoface interviewed by the local paper after falling for what could well be an obvious scam?
  • askew 1 Jun 2020 08:52:35 21,792 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    No
  • Carlo 1 Jun 2020 09:03:11 21,377 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    Here's a weird one. A couple of weeks back, I filled in one of those customer surveys they sometimes ask you to do after ordering a takeaway online. Just had an e-mail to say I've won one of the prizes, but not what the prize is.

The whole thing looks dubious as hell. There's a link in the e-mail, which I followed on an iPhone where I figured the risk of malware was greatly reduced if this whole thing is dodgy. It takes you to a page that asks you to link your Amazon account, by filling in your username and password, as apparently this is how they fulfill/deliver the prize. And they still haven't told me what it is.

All of which sets many big red alarm bells ringing. Thing is, the survey seems to have been a genuine one and I've tracked back order numbers and stuff, which all match up.

Soooo... do I dare go through with it and risk becoming the latest person being #compoface interviewed by the local paper after falling for what could well be an obvious scam?
    Make a new account on amazon, use that.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 1 Jun 2020 09:06:22 9,336 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Carlo Ooooh, that's a good idea. Will do just that.
  • Carlo 1 Jun 2020 09:10:32 21,377 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    @Carlo Ooooh, that's a good idea. Will do just that.
    Don't use anything real though, put in deliberate mistakes like address, person details etc.

If they're using it to farm personal details, they'll have it all wrong, if they're legit you can correct them later.

I'd also consider contacting the company you gave your details to as well, as they may not know (unless they're in on the scam too).

Also, enable 2fa on it https://www.telesign.com/turnon2fa/tutorials/how-to-turn-on-2fa-for-amazon/

That should stop them

Edited by Carlo at 09:11:47 01-06-2020
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 1 Jun 2020 09:15:16 9,336 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Carlo Yes, all sensible stuff and what I'll do (though not worried about the company in question being in on the scam).

I'll be pissed off if I do all of this and it turns out that a) it was legit and b) I've won a novelty teapot or something equally useless.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 1 Jun 2020 09:30:01 9,336 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Hmmm... so... it looks like a PS4. The base-console 500GB version that comes with Uncharted 4, Horizon: Zero Dawn and TLoU. Already got the console and two of the three games (and never much wanted Horizon), so of limited use to me, but suspect I can find a good home for it (assuming this isn't a scam, which I'm still not convinced of).
  • Fake_Blood 1 Jun 2020 11:39:51 10,570 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If it was a scam they would probably select more enticing hardware?
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 1 Jun 2020 12:43:50 9,336 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Fake_Blood Yeah, probably. It's sorted now, anyway.

A friend of mine had his old base PS4 conk out on him a few weeks back. He did still use it a bit, but was in two minds about replacing it, as he's primarily a PC gamer and didn't fancy shelling out a couple of hundred quid for a like-for-like replacement when there's a (back compatible) PS5 not far off.

He's happy to take the risk that all of this results in the Russian mafia kicking down his door and torturing him with power tools, so I've put his address into the new Amazon account I created and it's on its way to him. Having done so, it does seem to show up like any other Amazon order, so this probably isn't a scam after all.

My god, though, it wouldn't kill them to make it look a bit less suss.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 2 Jun 2020 10:31:24 26,368 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Who had Ebola on the apocalypse bingo?
  • Frogofdoom 2 Jun 2020 10:45:17 16,879 posts
    Seen 20 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They would have no need for your password whatsoever. It's a scam.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 2 Jun 2020 10:52:23 9,336 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Frogofdoom Just had a call from my friend to say the PS4 arrived. Seems it wasn't a scam.

It just seems they've got a weird thing going on where they have the prizes pre-paid on Amazon and you link your account to get it delivered. Not an ideal solution, as it looks dodgy as fuck, but having created a new, otherwise-blank Amazon account for it, it does seem to have worked ok.
  • Rum_Monkey 2 Jun 2020 10:54:44 1,255 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    He received that pretty quickly.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 2 Jun 2020 10:55:05 9,336 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Rum_Monkey Yeah, it had next-day delivery pre-paid as part of the order.
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 2 Jun 2020 11:03:41 32,613 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    That's a nice piece of good news, genuinely glad it wasn't a scam :D
  • Jono62 2 Jun 2020 11:16:16 25,566 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It was Mowgli and he's coming round to shout at you now.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 2 Jun 2020 12:41:25 9,336 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Jono62 Better check if Amazon also do next day delivery on rubber sheeting to cover your furniture.
  • Rum_Monkey 2 Jun 2020 13:03:36 1,255 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    Anyone else noticed since corona and now these American Riots that a lot of people close to you have become more racist and right wing?

For example my dad, he was always a bit iffy with some stuff he said but could be thought as just a generational thing. Now since this all kicked off its Muslim rape gangs, why don't white lives matter, what about this little girl killed by an Albanian, if Cummings is sacked what about all these lefties, boris is the best pm ever etc etc.

It's a bit disheartening finding out your dad's a twat.
  • anephric 2 Jun 2020 13:06:53 4,335 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've always know my dad was a racist old twat. What I wouldn't give for a bit of late-in-life disillusionment.
  • SamNunn92 2 Jun 2020 13:17:09 905 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I was going to post a thread on this exact thing this morning. I showed my dad a video of police brutality during the riots and his response was "well it's a very stressful time for the police". I've always known he was somewhat of a twat but I didnt really realise the extent of it.
  • nickthegun 2 Jun 2020 13:29:10 82,941 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    You'd like to think that, generally, people are less racist but a racist person is more visible.

Certainly, all the racist fuckwits my dad used to hang around with were relatively confined to the village they were idiots for until they gained the ability to be wankers at a national level.
  • Fake_Blood 2 Jun 2020 13:37:04 10,570 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Rum_Monkey wrote:
    Anyone else noticed since corona and now these American Riots that a lot of people close to you have become more racist and right wing?

For example my dad, he was always a bit iffy with some stuff he said but could be thought as just a generational thing. Now since this all kicked off its Muslim rape gangs, why don't white lives matter, what about this little girl killed by an Albanian, if Cummings is sacked what about all these lefties, boris is the best pm ever etc etc.

It's a bit disheartening finding out your dad's a twat.
    Is your dad Hookjaw?
  • Rum_Monkey 2 Jun 2020 13:44:42 1,255 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    Spartan.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 2 Jun 2020 13:46:35 9,336 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    My dad's not doing the racist thing, but is absolutely doing the "this is all overblown, they should lift all the lockdown" thing at full speed. He's been saying "it'll all be over in a fortnight" since February.

The shocking thing about this is that - and I emphasise - one of his sister-in-laws has died from COVID19 and he had a brother and another sister-in-law hospitalised with it. That shut him up for a fortnight or so, but he's back banging the drum now.

He's clearly finding it hard, because he's at the extreme extrovert end of the extrovert/introvert spectrum and is finding the relative isolation almost impossible. Doesn't prevent it from being fucking infuriating, though, and I had a pretty massive row with him about it last night (he was planning on organising a bunch of big get-togethers with his neighbours).

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.