Random Musings Page 1712

• nickthegun 17 May 2021 16:54:34 87,514 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Tbf, if you say youve been on the 'dark web' to anyone, they will immediately think youre a pedo, regardless of how much weed youve bought.
  • Trafford 17 May 2021 16:58:38 9,333 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It was a one off, and a friend did it for me.
    I wouldn't know where to start.
    Honestly!
  • Load_2.0 17 May 2021 17:04:32 33,522 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Whatsapp calling New Zealand is a revelation.

In the dark.old days you had to buy a fucking phone card. Punch in 56 digits to connect for a shit quality conversation via landline.

It took A while to get the folks up to speed but it's infinitely better.
  • nickthegun 17 May 2021 17:08:42 87,514 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yeah, I think thats why my 91 year old nan has soldiered through. Shes got family in 4 countries over 3 continents so actually been a god send.

On her birthday we had a group chat with people from all over the world which is just sci-fi.
  • SolidSCB 17 May 2021 17:38:12 16,630 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    My dad sent me a poo emoji the other day and I'm still a bit taken aback that A: my dad knows how to send emojis now and B: the first one he ever sent me was a fucking turd with eyes. It wasn't even pertinent to the conversation, just blatant fecal flexing.
  • Decks 17 May 2021 17:55:27 30,855 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The emoji was probably auto populated when he started typing turd or something. My parents use them for fucking everything.
  • mothercruncher 17 May 2021 18:08:16 19,416 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Alright you bunch of ✊
  • SolidSCB 17 May 2021 18:14:13 16,630 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That explains his earlier message of "You little (picture of taco)"
  • Dougs 17 May 2021 18:23:04 100,274 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    Stop making excuses for her ;)
    She's been like this with technology since the early 80s when we got our first VCR, so it's not really am age. It's maddening at times.
  • elstoof 17 May 2021 18:28:33 27,823 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    My old dears only use the landline, they’ve got a mobile “for emergencies”. They’ve never sent a text or an email as far as I’m aware. They’ll call mobile numbers, they’ve got a notepad next to the phone with everyone’s phone number written on it
  • MrWorf 17 May 2021 21:32:11 64,172 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 20 years ago
    D̵̛̛͖͕̞͎̩͋̍͗̓̄̏̀͌̈́̕͝ō̴̧͍͔̱̫̞͍̳̦̱̏͌̒͑̈́̎ȅ̵̛͈̫͍̬͖̖̯͉͕͚̾̆̃̐̃̅́̂̈́͜s̸̨̟͎̲̝͔̳̤̄̅̈́̔͐͂̍̆̇̀̑̈́͝ ̸̯̩̳̗̳͖̅͗̈́̉͝͠t̴̨͇̺̦̮̫̰̘̻͎̋̌̈́́̽̒̽̿̊͘h̶̨͉̘͐̍̅͒̌͛͒̽̇̆͋̈́͗͝͝i̴̡̡̨͙̥̮̋͗̃̀̊̔̊͂ş̷̨̨̗͖̝̯̝̗͔̠̳̮͇̰͋͋̒͆̊͐̕ ̸̢̫̓w̵̹̺͖͔̺͉͇̙̯̆̾̄́̒͗͐͂̎̈͝͝͠ǫ̶̢̞͎̣̦̫͙̫̞̀͋̿̊̏͘ṙ̵̛͍̝͓̞̥̞̑͆̂̿̈̉̾̎̐͘̕͜͝͠k̸̡̛͕͍͈̙̞͔̳̪̗̮̣̍̊̓̽̑̈̀͠?̴̨̦̙̙̦̲̬̗̘̖͉͕̇̃͗͑̐̒̓͂͛̈́̕͜͠͠͝
  • Dougs 20 May 2021 08:09:23 100,274 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Speaking of WhatsApp, that message doing the rounds re settings and who can add to groups. It's always been set to Everyone, hasn't it?
  • JamboWayOh 20 May 2021 10:01:25 24,972 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Speaking of WhatsApp, that message doing the rounds re settings and who can add to groups. It's always been set to Everyone, hasn't it?
    As far as I'm aware, yeah. My mum suddenly started asking me about this WhatsApp update and if I'm doing it and then sent me that round robin message.
  • askew 20 May 2021 10:07:35 24,015 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    "If you don't send this to 6 people you will die"
  • General_Martok 21 May 2021 12:03:43 2,450 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've just received a job offer for a role I've been interviewing for over a month. I need to give my notice at my current place when I receive the contract.

No big deal...apart from 1. I'm on paternity leave, 2. My manager has been really good to me in terms of taking time off for pregnancy related appointments and 3. This is going to be a kick in the teeth for him as he's already having to replace another team member.

I've never felt guilty about handing in my notice but I'm very close to feeling that now. 🙈
  • Tomo 21 May 2021 12:31:06 19,525 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @General_Martok

I sympathise. Recently came very close to leaving, but ultimately stayed because I like my job and my boss. I was very open with him through the whole thing, as I didn't want to feel like I was leaving him in the lurch.

But, in the months following, I've realised I probably /should/ have left and probably shouldn't have even mentioned my thinking to him. It sucks, but on balance, I think trying to operate openly and honestly has probably hindered me more than it's benefitted me. Maybe karma will serve me in the longer term, but right now I just feel frustrated I wasn't thinking entirely about my own future.
  • Dougs 21 May 2021 12:32:53 100,274 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @General_Martok opportunity for a payrise and more responsibility to stay where you are?
  • Nexus_6 21 May 2021 12:54:14 6,144 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    General_Martok wrote:
    I've just received a job offer for a role I've been interviewing for over a month. I need to give my notice at my current place when I receive the contract.

No big deal...apart from 1. I'm on paternity leave, 2. My manager has been really good to me in terms of taking time off for pregnancy related appointments and 3. This is going to be a kick in the teeth for him as he's already having to replace another team member.

I've never felt guilty about handing in my notice but I'm very close to feeling that now. 🙈
    Deep Space Nine needs you as the Klingon liaison. There's a war on for goodness sake.
  • General_Martok 21 May 2021 13:12:55 2,450 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Dougs There might be an opportunity for a small pay rise but the new company is offering me much more than I get now better benefits and the role I want.

My current company just won't be able to match the overall package.

@Tomo I'm thinking purely about myself and new family. Beyond the fact that it's a better job that fits my skills much better the extra income is definitely going to be useful (obviously :))
  • nickthegun 21 May 2021 13:17:09 87,514 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Tomo - Yeah, I just took an internal promotion over an external job I got (cuz jobs are like busses, apparently) for similar reason and kind of regret it for similar reasons.

I figured better the devil you know in These Trying Times but it might have been time for a new challenge.
  • General_Martok 21 May 2021 13:17:23 2,450 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Nexus_6

Haven't you heard? The war is over, we won, many songs were sung.

I must go back to the empire now and restore my hooooooooooooooooouse.
  • mudskipp 21 May 2021 14:40:57 197 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Nexus_6 wrote:
    General_Martok wrote:

Deep Space Nine needs you as the Klingon liaison. There's a war on for goodness sake.
    They can just replace you with a changeling.

Company loyalty is an odd one - I totally get the same feeling but if you don't think of yourself no one else will, and often it's easier to replace people and move on than you expect. (Varies for different circumstances though of course!)
  • JoeBlade 21 May 2021 15:02:31 6,195 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Man, I suppose this should be a rant but I'm equally baffled at my own good and bad luck so this thread will do.

I negotiated a lease pushbike with my new employer (an electric folding one, which are quite expensive) It took ages before I had it but this week I was finally able to commute without public transport. Joy.

Just now I left the office and I lifted my trusty vehicle to get on when *bam* the front wheel fell clean off. After I finally got over my surprise I inspected the thing to see whether I could put the wheel back on again: turns out the axle broke off cleanly on both sides.

It must have happened while I was riding to work because I couldn't find the ends anywhere nearby. How I managed to make it to the office in one piece, I still do not know. o_O
  • askew 21 May 2021 15:10:41 24,015 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Oof. Teeth all intact?
  • JoeBlade 21 May 2021 15:12:06 6,195 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Well that's the thing: I didn't fall. The wheel only came off when I wanted to get on it after I left the office but the axle must've been busted already on the way over. It's pretty miraculous.

Edit: good thing too because (despite being a folding bike) I can zip along quite impressively since it's electric.

Edited by JoeBlade at 15:14:24 21-05-2021
  • Load_2.0 21 May 2021 15:22:48 33,522 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Shirley a design fault? A bike should be able to take a reasonable pounding. (Matron)
  • JoeBlade 21 May 2021 15:26:43 6,195 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    Shirley a design fault? A bike should be able to take a reasonable pounding. (Matron)
    Yeah I assume as much as well. Or rather, a manufacturing fault. The break is perfectly straight on both sides.
  • askew 21 May 2021 15:37:19 24,015 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Time to put your best CompoFace on.
  • freddymercurystwin 21 May 2021 18:55:06 2,784 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    How odd, I've never ever heard of such a thing, what make was it, out of interest?
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.