Following Headphones Page 39

• The_Goon 27 Dec 2019 17:12:54 1,451 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So I saw a review of the Airpod Pros that said they sounded awful but basically still trumped the Sony 1000XM3s because they have an awful user experience (and also suffered on sound when ANC was on). Can't win.
  • IJ 27 Dec 2019 19:08:57 987 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    The_Goon wrote:
    So I saw a review of the Airpod Pros that said they sounded awful but basically still trumped the Sony 1000XM3s because they have an awful user experience (and also suffered on sound when ANC was on). Can't win.
    I tried some my work mate had. Having been highly skeptic I’m now ordering some in January. They really are fantastic.

Most reviews have said the sound doesn’t quite match the XM3s but certainly not awful and I thought the sound was fine. The noise cancelling and the user experience was top notch, and they’re a lot smaller than other competitor EarPods.

I had a pair of AirPods (gift) and thought the user experience was incredible but they were a complete rip off. My wife stole them and I replaced them with £34 Taotronics which weren’t as user friendly but overal were better. But the pros really blew me away and the sound quality is up their with the best EarPods, which is obviously far from other more full fat headphones.
  • StixxUK 27 Dec 2019 19:19:48 8,299 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Having had the Wf-xm3 for a while can confirm that the sound is incredible.

However the call quality is so bad it's literally unusable and they aren't the most secure in my ears.

Probably wouldn't recommend them unless you literally only want them for listening to music whilst sitting or walking (at a push)
  • Your-Mother 27 Dec 2019 19:38:33 4,093 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The main issue I have with the WFs is that they don’t seem to have good venting for pressure equalization like other ANC buds, so they physically hurt after a while. And yeah, all of Sony’s 1000xm models have been garbage for voice. Allegedly it’s something they’re working on for 1000xm4, supposedly out next year.

Also wouldn’t call the AirPod Pros awful for sound quality either. They’re not top tier, sure, but they’re solid. A little below the Powerbeats Pro, but more comfortable and with superb ANC for the size.
  • HarryB 28 Dec 2019 02:05:07 7,610 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Got some AirPod pros for Christmas. Pretty damn good compared to my WH-1000XM3

Although in the winter, over ears are nice and cosy!
  • You-can-call-me-kal 28 Dec 2019 08:53:33 19,435 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    PX7s are £299 in the Richer Sounds sale if anyone is interested. I’m tempted.
  • fontgeeksogood 28 Dec 2019 09:32:24 9,523 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    They really are amazing. My only gripe so far has been the occasional Bluetooth hiccup but all of them have this. And you forgive everything if you chose the correct light grey with lovely metal plates over the back of the ear cups.

The most comfy headphones I've ever had (the PXs hurt my ears within 5 minutes in the shop, so they really pulled it out of the bag). Not the best noise cancelling in the class IMO but the sound quality is impressive and the battery life and charge times are astonishing.

Also using the multiple Bluetooth connections (at once) feature more than I thought I would be
  • Zerobob 28 Dec 2019 11:34:36 2,424 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I bought the WH-1000XM3 on a Black Friday deal recently and I really like them, all in all.

They're as comfy as my old Bose Soundlink 2 headphones and sound very good, although the bass does muddy the sound every so slightly I think, but that's compared to the clear neutral sound of the Bose. After switching them on they connect immediately every time without fail, unlike my old Bose headphones. The build quality is very good and they're light on the head. The noise cancelling is very impressive, almost eliminating all noise on bus journeys, which is weird at first. The battery life is also phenomenal.

It's worth noting, to get the best sound out of them on a Mac you need to enable either AAC or aptX audio encoding using the Bluetooth Explorer app.

When connected to my Android phone they use LDAC audio encoding by default, which sounds very nice due to it's very high bitrate making it practically lossless, something I don't think iPhones support.

My main complaints are that I frequently accidentally touch the touch-sensitive ear cup when taking them off, sometimes causing the music to start playing again. I also had an incident on a particularly bumpy bus journey - Every time I went over a bump with the noise cancelling enabled the volume of the music swelled and there was sort of a "whoompf" sound. I think it's caused by the headphones shifting around on my head. Others have reported this online. All other bus journeys I've used them on have been fine though.
  • JamboWayOh 28 Dec 2019 11:50:25 18,852 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Interesting, I am looking to pick up a pair of the wh-1000xm3's next week before I leave. As I travel on planes quite a lot, especially next year, how much of the ambient sound do they cut out in that scenario?
  • fontgeeksogood 28 Dec 2019 11:59:17 9,523 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    PX7s are £299 in the Richer Sounds sale if anyone is interested. I’m tempted.
    £289 on my browser. Hell of a deal
  • JamboWayOh 28 Dec 2019 12:20:10 18,852 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ProJohn wrote:
    Guys, what do you think of Sony DR-GA500? Are they a good choice in 2020?
    Do they still sell those, aren't they proper old?
  • Zerobob 28 Dec 2019 12:51:25 2,424 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    Interesting, I am looking to pick up a pair of the wh-1000xm3's next week before I leave. As I travel on planes quite a lot, especially next year, how much of the ambient sound do they cut out in that scenario?
    No noise cancelling headphones cut out all ambient noise, but the XM3's are the best around, frequently favoured above even the Bose QC35s in the noise cancelling department.

I would expect them to cut out the engines entirely, as well as distant noises around the cabin. You'll still be able to hear nearby voices to a small degree, but I find when I have music playing I can't even hear those.

They have 3 modes: Noise cancelling on, noise cancelling off, and ambient sound. By default, ambient sound mode let's all outside noise in via the mics on each earcup, but you can adjust the degree of ambient noise they let in via the app. They even have a mode to just let voices through.

I normally use them with full noise cancelling on, then when I want to hear outside noise I use the feature whereby you put your hand over the right earcup and it turns your music down and let's outside noise in. It's pretty damn useful actually.
  • greenmekon 28 Dec 2019 15:18:16 524 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I have used the xm3 on a plane and they cut out so much of the ambient noise, it is incredible and makes plane journeys so much more pleasant.
  • JamboWayOh 28 Dec 2019 15:19:39 18,852 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well I'm convinced.
  • uiruki 28 Dec 2019 15:59:43 5,155 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Shame you can’t hold off a bit longer as it looks like the XM4 are set to be announced soon but the XM3 have had some nice discounts. I really like my AirPods Pro but when I really need everything around me to be quiet then there’s no substitute for big, comfortable headphones, and I’m still on the XM2. The battery life is also long enough to be effectively unlimited.
  • MrAGSystems 28 Dec 2019 16:11:13 864 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Zerobob wrote:
    I bought the WH-1000XM3 on a Black Friday deal recently and I really like them, all in all.

They're as comfy as my old Bose Soundlink 2 headphones and sound very good, although the bass does muddy the sound every so slightly I think, but that's compared to the clear neutral sound of the Bose. After switching them on they connect immediately every time without fail, unlike my old Bose headphones. The build quality is very good and they're light on the head. The noise cancelling is very impressive, almost eliminating all noise on bus journeys, which is weird at first. The battery life is also phenomenal.

It's worth noting, to get the best sound out of them on a Mac you need to enable either AAC or aptX audio encoding using the Bluetooth Explorer app.

When connected to my Android phone they use LDAC audio encoding by default, which sounds very nice due to it's very high bitrate making it practically lossless, something I don't think iPhones support.

My main complaints are that I frequently accidentally touch the touch-sensitive ear cup when taking them off, sometimes causing the music to start playing again. I also had an incident on a particularly bumpy bus journey - Every time I went over a bump with the noise cancelling enabled the volume of the music swelled and there was sort of a "whoompf" sound. I think it's caused by the headphones shifting around on my head. Others have reported this online. All other bus journeys I've used them on have been fine though.
    Was having a mooch about my local Currys/PC World today (it recently got tarted up) and came so close to buying these for €269... Sitting at home now and thinking "ah shit" that I didn't
  • JamboWayOh 28 Dec 2019 16:31:38 18,852 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    uiruki wrote:
    Shame you can’t hold off a bit longer as it looks like the XM4 are set to be announced soon but the XM3 have had some nice discounts. I really like my AirPods Pro but when I really need everything around me to be quiet then there’s no substitute for big, comfortable headphones, and I’m still on the XM2. The battery life is also long enough to be effectively unlimited.
    Hmmm, perhaps but isn't the xm3 pretty amazing as it is? Sure I imagine there'll be improvements but at a bigger cost and 238 quid seems like a fucking bargain as it is.

Edited by JamboWayOh at 16:31:50 28-12-2019
  • gamecat 28 Dec 2019 16:40:22 965 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    They are about the same on Amazon rn. Will probably get reduced further when the 4s come out, but not like they will be bad headphones all of a sudden.

I knock the touch pad when taking them off too sometimes, not a massive problem really With the current firmware you can disable the pad entirely if you were getting major problems like the bus journey above, or if outside in temps getting close to freezing.
  • Tomo 28 Dec 2019 17:19:25 17,639 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    Well I'm convinced.
    Can concur, they are amazing. Can't hear people standing next to you who are trying to get your attention, unless they tap your shoulder so you focus on them.

Good for ignoring everyone else, 10/10 recomedd
  • uiruki 28 Dec 2019 20:44:18 5,155 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I am sure the XM2s went down to about 170 when the XM3s came out but even at what they are now you do get a lot of 'tech' for your money.
  • Dandy11 28 Dec 2019 21:39:15 125 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Have no idea with headphones? What's the best you can get for under 50 quid which is wireless for my PS4?
  • ozthegweat 30 Dec 2019 23:31:54 2,444 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've been spending a few days now with the DT 1770, and they are bordering on endgame material.

Dry, defined bass, slightly recessed mids (just like I like it), clear but not sibilant highs. More bass with pleather pads that are also in the box. I can't stop listening to this cans.

Every part is replacable, very high build quality, detachable cable.
  • b-rk 31 Dec 2019 07:42:58 1,221 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yeah I recently purchased the DT 1770 Pro and am reasonably happy with them. They sound great listening to my own stuff but not ideal when using a streaming service like Amazon HD. they need to be equalised to bring out vocals, which a streaming player doesn't provide.

Edit

Apparently spotify offers EQ settings? Not changing from Amazon. Bah.

Edited by b-rk at 14:36:19 31-12-2019
  • yegon 31 Dec 2019 12:23:26 6,493 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Re: the XM3’s, people are probably aware but you can disable the touch pad completely. It was a fudge to fix a flaw that meant they went crazy in low temps, but I prefer to have it disabled anyway, I consider the touch controls their biggest weakness (along with mic performance obviously).

I prefer the “Bright” EQ setting in the app as I find the default too bassy and muddy. Only downer is the EQ setting doesn’t apply when using wired, but I use them purely wireless anyway.
  • mrpon 31 Dec 2019 12:31:51 36,139 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Dandy11 wrote:
    Have no idea with headphones? What's the best you can get for under 50 quid which is wireless for my PS4?
    These
  • MrAGSystems 31 Dec 2019 13:56:55 864 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    yegon wrote:
    Re: the XM3’s, people are probably aware but you can disable the touch pad completely. It was a fudge to fix a flaw that meant they went crazy in low temps, but I prefer to have it disabled anyway, I consider the touch controls their biggest weakness (along with mic performance obviously).

I prefer the “Bright” EQ setting in the app as I find the default too bassy and muddy. Only downer is the EQ setting doesn’t apply when using wired, but I use them purely wireless anyway.
    I picked them up - you also can't EQ them when you're using any of the superior codecs (I'm getting the most stable connection over aptX - for LDAC to use its higher settings it needs a really stable connection, which just doesn't happen at times) because of the increased bandwidth the codecs use.

Why not set a global EQ setting using your phone?

Edited by MrAGSystems at 13:59:33 31-12-2019
  • Carlo 31 Dec 2019 14:04:12 21,225 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Dandy11 wrote:
    These
    Bang on.
  • yegon 31 Dec 2019 14:30:40 6,493 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @MrAGSystems

Only use them with Fisher Price iOS devices so no AptX for me, pfft. Fortunately, I'm not incredibly demanding when it comes to audio quality, unlike visual fidelity.

Edited by yegon at 14:31:34 31-12-2019
  • MrAGSystems 31 Dec 2019 14:59:35 864 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    @yegon I've always been on Android (and Windows Phone, but we keep quiet about that), didn't even realise iOS didn't support aptX /the more you know

My ears are sufficiently knackered that I can't really tell the difference. For all intents and purposes the codecs here sound the same anyway, aptX just seems to be the most stable. I got the occasional hiccup with SBC and LDAC seems to have a vastly different sound profile.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.