Following Headphones Page 41

• Dougs 4 Feb 2020 07:15:40 93,664 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I've only really looked through the user reviews, not professional ones. I often find them a bit more helpful as the little niggles etc are highlighted. But if course, you also often get overly critical reviews with some people expecting premium without paying premium prices.
  • Armoured_Bear 21 Feb 2020 10:35:49 28,701 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Any recommendations for gym/fitness wireless earphones that don't have a hugely boosted bass?
  • brokenkey 21 Feb 2020 11:33:11 10,475 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Any recommendations for gym/fitness wireless earphones that don't have a hugely boosted bass?
    TRN V90 IEM, paired with the KZ Aptx HD bluetooth module. $55 on aliexpress
  • beastmaster 23 Feb 2020 11:16:50 20,479 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Had the Pro pods for a while now but not had the opportunity to really use them till yesterday.

Damn! They are extremely comfortable. They allow for a very high volume and I think the sound quality is great if you donít mind the lack of bass.

Edited by beastmaster at 11:18:05 23-02-2020
  • HarryB 23 Feb 2020 19:49:30 7,610 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Lost my left AirPod Pro on Wednesday.. had it on one of those little cases that can attach to your belt loop.. my fault .. knocked it off my work van getting in. Felt it and the lid was closed so drove off. End of the day I go to put them in and left is missing. Manic drive back to the place, no sign using Find My

Went to Genius Bar today, 85 quid for 1

Itís an absolute rip off but I use them for hours every day so in the end, I was missing them and using my WH-1000-XM3 felt so cumbersome out and about.

So yeah, donít use a silly case for your case, just put them in your pocket :)
  • Armoured_Bear 23 Feb 2020 20:54:15 28,701 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    brokenkey wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    TRN V90 IEM, paired with the KZ Aptx HD bluetooth module. $55 on aliexpress
    Thanks, I'll take a look.
  • ozthegweat 23 Feb 2020 22:55:55 2,444 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    HarryB wrote:
    Went to Genius Bar today, 85 quid for 1

Itís an absolute rip offÖ
    Why is it an absolute rip-off if 2 buds plus the case cost £250?
  • freddymercurystwin 31 Mar 2020 06:12:36 2,072 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Well having been forced to start working from home and having 2 noisy boys running about the place like a couple of chimps going stir crazy and my laptop/desk set up in the living room I felt I could finally justify some noise cancelling headphones, so being one who favours online reviews and obviously no opportunity to visit any shops for a test I opted for the Sony XM3's and I have not been disappointed, I have been an audiophile back in the day so consider I have a better ear than most (I shudder at how many people out there listen to their tunes on their stock earbuds when a little investment would transform their experience) anyway the sound is a delight and the noise cancelling excellent and though the touch controls can be a little amiss they generally work well, I must say the (seemingly unavoidable) chime noise that goes off when the mode changes is stupid but perhaps they'll fix it in a software update, I can live with it but best of all I bagged them from Amazon Warehouse for £179, the description said small cosmetic marks on the front and damaged packaging, I generally like my purchases to be sparkling and prestine so was quite apprehensive but the only marks I have found was some minor discolouring on the card inside the box the phones are immaculate, I'm a happy bunny.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 31 Mar 2020 06:52:46 19,435 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Dude, take a breath.
  • Dougs 31 Mar 2020 07:33:59 93,664 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I'm exhausted
  • superdelphinus 31 Mar 2020 08:04:16 10,319 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Any ideas for some relatively decent closed back over ear studio headphones? Anyone have experience of the Beyerdynamic d770 studio range?
  • You-can-call-me-kal 31 Mar 2020 08:29:10 19,435 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yes, theyíre great. A classic.
  • Zerobob 31 Mar 2020 09:36:09 2,424 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @freddymercurystwin I agree, the noise cancelling on the XM3s is something I'll definitely miss if I ever used a different range of headphones. It's really very good.

For me, the sound quality was a bitter sweet experience, coming from a pair os Bose Soundlink 2s. Don't get me wrong, you get good quality sound with the XM3s, but they just don't sound as clear as the Bose, and the bass really muddies the sound... sure, you get extra bass compared to the Bose, but it's strangely a bit loose and unrefined, and not very punchy.

The great thing about the XM3s is that you get near-lossless LDAC support on most Android devices. I also downloaded a program for Mac called Bluetooth Explorer which allows you to enable aptX support. Definitely worthwhile.
  • Tomo 31 Mar 2020 09:47:55 17,639 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    superdelphinus wrote:
    Any ideas for some relatively decent closed back over ear studio headphones? Anyone have experience of the Beyerdynamic d770 studio range?
    I've got some and they are great especially for the price. I would say they are not the most comfortable headphones though. I might be spoiled by the comfort of the XM3s which are my non lockdown headphones. Having gone back the the 770s in WFH mode, the head band really pushes the ears inwards against your head. They aren't falling off when you're spitting grime on 1Extra, but not the clouds of the XM3s either.
  • superdelphinus 31 Mar 2020 09:59:22 10,319 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Thanks all, really helpful. Which Ohm version do you guys have?
  • b-rk 2 Apr 2020 19:41:55 1,221 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I have the 80ohm ones, best headphones for the price by far imo.
  • Tomo 2 Apr 2020 20:00:04 17,639 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    superdelphinus wrote:
    Thanks all, really helpful. Which Ohm version do you guys have?
    I've got 250 Ohm - use them with my PC. I've not listened to any others mind, so don't really know how to compare.
  • StixxUK 2 Apr 2020 20:57:19 8,299 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I'm using Sony WF-1000xm3s (the true wireless as opposed to the over ear) and whilst they do sound excellent, they are absolutely rubbish in a lot of other ways.

Voice call quality is borderline unusable, they won't connect reliably to anything other than my android phone (no luck with an iPad, nor Windows PCs which means I can't use them for the very many work calls I'm currently doing).

It's almost worth it for the sound quality, but actually kind of wish I'd gone for some cheaper but more versatile buds (probably Jabra 65t or 75t)

edit: actually I've managed to get this sorted in the end for use with the PC... may seem obvious but it had to be done manually - here it is for anyone else struggling:

Under Playback:
    WF-1000XM3 Stereo as Default Device
    WF-1000XM3 Hands-Free as Default Communications Device

Under Recording:
    WF-1000XM3 Hands-Free as Default Device

Edited by StixxUK at 10:27:08 03-04-2020
  • superdelphinus 17 Apr 2020 15:11:32 10,319 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    b-rk wrote:
    I have the 80ohm ones, best headphones for the price by far imo.
    I got these ones too, theyíre great (and nice and comfortable too). Iím thinking of buying the 990 open backed ones now for more general use - torn though because just buy some new Grado sr80s (my current ones suffered and unfortunate jack plug incident and my soldering is shyte) and they always seem to come out top in group reviews around that budget.
  • Zerobob 5 May 2020 10:28:53 2,424 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    A question to Sony WH1000XM3 owners... do anyone else's headphones have any sort of creaking coming from the headband?

Mine didn't. do this initially for the first few months, but then started started creaking when taking them on and off, and it's getting progressively worse. Now they creak whilst I'm wearing them if I move my jaw, or move my head in certain ways, and it's utterly ruining the experience.

I know this is an issue reported online, but it's hard to judge if it's a common issue. I bought them from John Lewis, so should be able to get a replacement under their guarantee, but I'm not messing around replacing them if the replacement pair will ultimately do the same.
  • Tomo 5 May 2020 10:34:02 17,639 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Zero issues with mine and I use them anywhere between 5-10 hours per day. Sounds like they've got an issue.
  • Zerobob 5 May 2020 10:42:49 2,424 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Tomo How long have you had yours? I bought mine Nov 2019.

The thing is, creaking comes from where the ear cup pivots / attaches to the headband, exactly the same on both sides, so it hardly seems like a random fault, more of an inevitability due to the design and construction.
  • sherpa1984 5 May 2020 11:16:12 842 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    How are the Apple pro earbud thingys with noise cancellation on a flight?

Obviously have to wait for COVID to do one, but once it does I found regular over-ear headphones canít drown out the sounds in the cabin.
  • Tomo 5 May 2020 11:17:39 17,639 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Zerobob

Since whenever they came out, which is Jan 2019 looking online.
  • Zerobob 5 May 2020 12:10:21 2,424 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Tomo I guess mine do have an issue then. I'm really fed up with buying products with issues now. It seems that, if there's a potential issue with a product, the specific unit I bought will have the issue.

The joycon drift / metal clicking sounds coming from my Switch joycon joysticks, the yellowing of the charging cable for my Macbook Pro, the creaking sound from my XM3 headphones, the rubber warping / detaching from my Bose Soundlink 2 headphones, bad coil whine coming from my Dell XPS 13 laptop... the list goes on.

I'm inclined to think that nothing is made properly at this point, no matter what you buy.
  • MrAGSystems 5 May 2020 12:16:23 864 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    @Zerobob Bought mine in December 2019, wear them for a few hours most days and no complaints so far.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.