Following Headphones Page 42

• Zerobob 5 May 2020 12:55:06 2,427 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @MrAGSystems So when you pull the ear cups apart - when putting them on - you don't hear any flexing from the plastic at all?
  • souvlaki 19 May 2020 16:09:41 1,021 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    So I've bought some Grado sr80s which should arrive tomorrow. They are to go with my Denon PMA-50 amp and the amp has three settings for headphones - (Headphone Gain Control (low / mid / high)) - anyone know which setting I should go for?
  • mrharvest 23 May 2020 20:08:19 5,599 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I bought some new velour ear cushions for my Beyer 880Pro and re-did the headphone jack. It's like a born again pair.
  • ozthegweat 24 May 2020 08:55:06 2,500 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @souvlaki Higher gain comes with higher noise. If you have higher impedance headphones sometimes you have no choice but to up the gain.

Start with "Low" and only go up if you'd still like to go louder at, say, 90% max volume.
  • superdelphinus 24 May 2020 11:12:04 10,344 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    souvlaki wrote:
    So I've bought some Grado sr80s which should arrive tomorrow. They are to go with my Denon PMA-50 amp and the amp has three settings for headphones - (Headphone Gain Control (low / mid / high)) - anyone know which setting I should go for?
    I have some SR80s - great headphones. Just be careful with them, they're quite delicate! They are fairly neutral but there's a bit of treble and bass boosting going on (subtle though, nothing like beats levels).

I think SR80s have an impedance of 32 0hm don't they? I'd start at low gain.
  • superdelphinus 24 May 2020 11:13:51 10,344 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    mrharvest wrote:
    I bought some new velour ear cushions for my Beyer 880Pro and re-did the headphone jack. It's like a born again pair.
    I just bought some of those a couple of weeks ago (I loved the 770 pros I bought so much I wanted some semi-open back ones as well)! I got the edition version though as I'm mainly just using them for mixing/ mastering and listening to music at home. I can't believe the quality of them for the price.
  • souvlaki 24 May 2020 14:28:15 1,021 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I really like my new SR80s but they don't have feel uncomfortable after a few hours as my head must be too wide or something. I bought a dragonfly dac thing as well for listening at the laptop. Well impressed.
  • nickthegun 24 May 2020 15:59:32 81,739 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Iíve got a big old swede and most new headphones feel a bit uncomfortable at first. I leave them over the arm of the sofa overnight for a few days to loosen up the headband which helps quite a bit.
  • fontgeeksogood 24 May 2020 16:21:41 9,690 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Now, you're no John Holmes
  • ozthegweat 25 May 2020 20:53:24 2,500 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Damn, Dekoni came out with AirPods Pro foam tips. I thought APP were stellar, but they just wouldn't stay in my ears, so I had to return them. Now I think I'll be buying them again and try them with those foam tips.
  • Your-Mother 4 Jun 2020 18:53:34 4,276 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    XM4 details have leaked. No design changes, but a lot of QoL improvements that fix a lot of the issues people had with them - multi-device pairing and focus on call quality.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2020/6/4/21280429/sony-wh1000x-m4-noise-cancelling-headphones-leak-walmart

Dunno if it makes the upgrade worth it to me personally as I use my xm3s with a specific device and have airpod pros for audio calls, but nice improvements.
  • freddymercurystwin 5 Jun 2020 00:25:26 2,116 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Your-Mother I've admittadly not owned them for very long but call quality on the XM3's so far has been excellent, the connectivity issues I was already aware of and like you I only use one source so it's not been a problem.
  • THFourteen 5 Jun 2020 07:00:18 53,670 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    2 devices would be nice but no way worth upgrading for.

I find Iíve been using my AirPods Pro way more in lockdown tbh. They are so damn convenient and they connect so much easier than other devices.
  • Tomo 5 Jun 2020 07:42:02 17,693 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    That's great news! I will stick to the XM3s and save my pennies.
  • fontgeeksogood 5 Jun 2020 08:10:05 9,690 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Since getting the B&W PX7s I've realised how useful multi device is, even though I don't think the sound quality is *quite* up there with the Sonys (I didn't like the touch controls on the MXs, plus the build quality of the B&Ws is a step up).

I'm often listening to music at volumes (and ANC) which means I won't hear my phone
  • freddymercurystwin 5 Jun 2020 08:37:38 2,116 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    I'm often listening to music at volumes (and ANC) which means I won't hear my phone
    Err if the headphones are Bluetooth'd to your phone surely the ringer overides the music?
  • fontgeeksogood 5 Jun 2020 08:42:36 9,690 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    If you're listening to music on your phone, like a fucking peasant
  • Dougs 5 Jun 2020 09:11:02 94,063 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    BT on my receiver is absolute toss so if I want to go wireless, I have to use my phone. Plus I tend to only listen on headphones either travelling or in the garden.
  • THFourteen 5 Jun 2020 09:12:31 53,670 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Annoying that my surround sound system is in my garage/office. But equally thereís nowhere else to put it. So just play Spotify through the computer.
  • Zerobob 5 Jun 2020 12:32:07 2,427 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I actually quite like the fact that my XM3s don't connect to multiple devices; They just connect immediately every time.

It's refreshing that every time I switch them on they don't try to connect to every bluetooth device in the house - in no particular order - before finally finding the device with bluetooth enabled... unlike my Bose headphones, which can take up to a minute to scan for and connect to multiple devices, and sometimes completely fail to find a device during this janky procedure.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 5 Jun 2020 13:13:34 19,703 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Then youíre not getting the benefit of any of them unless youíre using a separate DAC and amp.
  • freddymercurystwin 5 Jun 2020 13:56:22 2,116 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    MrAGSystems wrote:
    Yep, flip on Bluetooth and NFC
    What does the NFC bit do? I normally just turn on bluetooth on my phone and then the headphones and voila!
  • Zerobob 5 Jun 2020 14:08:57 2,427 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    freddymercurystwin wrote:
    MrAGSystems wrote:
    What does the NFC bit do? I normally just turn on bluetooth on my phone and then the headphones and voila!
    Yeah me too, but I use mine mainly with my laptop.

I think NFC is useful if you want to quickly tell the headphones to switch their connection to a phone from another device, but I don't want to have to keep enabling NFC on my phone, or leave it on permanently in case I want to do this.
  • Blackmarsh63 5 Jun 2020 14:32:53 3,272 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @freddymercurystwin NFC is used to instantly pair bluetooth devices. It's the tech used for Apple and Google pay also.
  • freddymercurystwin 5 Jun 2020 16:07:00 2,116 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    MrAGSystems wrote:
    freddymercurystwin wrote:
    MrAGSystems wrote:
    You don't have to turn the headphones on, it does it for you. Don't think I've pressed the power button on mine more than a few times.
    So how does it connect then, you have to have NFC switched on on your phone presumably? And you also need to leave Bluetooth on too? I tend to keep both switched off unless I need them.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.