Following Headphones Page 51

• You-can-call-me-kal 10 Dec 2020 16:58:22 22,315 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Iím expecting them to be pretty good. Thereís really no reason why they shouldnít be.
  • Your-Mother 10 Dec 2020 17:00:24 6,203 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Early reports are pretty positive about the sound. The Verge claims they have a wider soundstage than the Sony XMs.
  • nickthegun 10 Dec 2020 17:19:15 84,512 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Apparently, there's no off switch. They power down after being out back in their magnetic bra, so you have to take that everywhere. Also, the case itself looks really shit. Should have been a hard case.

The headphones themselves do look nice, though. They got the styling of those right, at least.
  • beastmaster 10 Dec 2020 17:26:28 21,841 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Like the way the internal cups are magnetised and you can just pull them out if you want to replace them. You can also add different colours and customise it to your liking. For a cost.
  • addybV3 10 Dec 2020 17:55:20 76 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Audeze Penrose are arriving tomorrow. They better not be wank.
  • ozthegweat 10 Dec 2020 19:36:02 2,789 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    ozthegweat wrote:
    Get the Fiio K5 Pro amp.
    Iím fairly surprised Mr Ďitís all snake oilí as a DAC/amp I must say :)
    Hey, he asked about hardware, and owning 250Ω headphones I wasn't even thinking about driving a pair without an amp 😀 The K5 Pro deliver probably the best bang for your buck. And yes, I believe I can hear a difference to driving my DT1770 Pro with an iPhone 🙃
  • You-can-call-me-kal 10 Dec 2020 19:43:40 22,315 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Heh. Itís true you canít go far wrong with Fiio stuff. Schiit are also amazing at that price point.
  • ozthegweat 10 Dec 2020 19:51:17 2,789 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ATM I'm trying the headphone port of my 7.1 surround receiver.

It cost 4 times as much as the K5 Pro, but it also produces 4 times the channels.

Now, do I hope it sucks or not? 😂
  • Tomo 10 Dec 2020 20:20:47 18,829 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Now it looks like Im going to be working from home pretty much full time, Ive started to have half an eye on some open backs and supporting gear. No one to annoy other than the cat.
    Yep exactly. I have speakers on during day, so open back headphones is probably preferable to partner and neighbours...
  • andytheadequate 11 Dec 2020 21:34:47 9,493 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm considering getting some wired headphones to use whilst working from home.

Currently I listen to my hi fi whilst sat at my desk. I have a Cyrus One HD amp and Monitor Audio Silver floor standing speakers, so music sounds pretty great from them. However, I only really get the full benefit when sat in front of them on the sofa (which I do some of the day but not for too long as it gives me back pain). I lose a lot of the bass and volume when sat at the edge of the room, which is just a downside of where my desk is. I also live in a semi detached and like my neighbour, so I'm reluctant to turn the volume up too high for too long.

My dad lent me his Grado SR60 headphones to test out. I found them comfortable and the sound stage excellent, but after hearing how great the speakers sound I'd prefer to get something a bit fancier to try and match the audio quality. I saw @kalel mentioned you can get great sounding headphones for a fraction of the price of a hifi, so I'm interested in what kind of price I'd have to pay to get a similar audio quality.

Would something like the grado sr325e sound considerably better than the sr60? I also have a pair of Sony XM3 noise cancelling headphones. How big of an improvement do you get at a similar price point when going for wired ones? Obviously it would be nice to demo a pair, but that's looking unlikely in the current climate. The headphones will be plugged into my amp so I shouldn't need a separate headphone amp or dac.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 11 Dec 2020 22:27:26 22,315 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Grados donít necessarily get better with price, just different. Itís really what particular sound youíre looking for.

I would say youíd usually see a big leap in quality with wired. Makes a big difference. If youíre looking for a speaker like experience you should look at open backed for sure. Maybe even electrostatic although then you will need a different amp.

Spend some time of head-fi maybe just to get a sense of the right cans for you. Thereís so many choices and it all comes down to personal taste really.
  • addybV3 15 Dec 2020 18:57:04 76 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Had my Audeze Penrose for a few days now and have to say they are amazing. Night and day difference against my previous set (SteelSeries Arctis 1)
    Granted its my first 'higher end' set but wow i never expected to be as blown away by the sound quality.
  • THFourteen 16 Dec 2020 07:32:19 53,863 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Flash cunt
  • mrpon 16 Dec 2020 08:31:45 36,740 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Wrong chat window Terry
  • fontgeeksogood 16 Dec 2020 09:17:47 11,986 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    :D
  • Tomo 5 Jan 2021 15:51:32 18,829 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    It is tough in tests like that. This guy reviews headphones and whatnot and does comparisons kind of less about the quality and more about the sound stage. I dont live in anyone elses head (yet) so I dont know if this happens to everyone, but the transitions between headphones always fry my brain.

https://youtu.be/kR0xiIYvOSw?t=281

https://youtu.be/BhgFkr1-zdY?t=719
    Who is this guy?! :DDD

Suddenly I want some Grados...

I caved...

swe;rklgvjn sd;lkvj nsdvl; ijsa
  • tadejpogacar 5 Jan 2021 16:15:54 407 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I had the Alessandro MS1s once upon a time ago. They were class.
  • mrharvest 5 Jan 2021 17:16:12 5,641 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    Tomo wrote:
    Suddenly I want some Grados...

I caved...
    Welcome to the jazz club. Nice.

But honestly, I don't personally like the basic Grados. I'd rather spend a bit of extra for a bit smoother top end.
  • bone-on 5 Jan 2021 18:16:41 659 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    As a side sleeper I need some good active noise cancelling headphones that will be good in bed to help me sleep. I have the Sony WF-1000XM3 and they are great but too bulky for side sleeping any recommendations??
  • nickthegun 5 Jan 2021 18:22:58 84,512 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Never tried them personally but these reviewed well when I was half heartedly looking for something for the Mrs.

https://uk.kokoon.io/

Designed to actually be slept it
  • Dougs 5 Jan 2021 18:43:34 97,447 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    bone-on wrote:
    As a side sleeper I need some good active noise cancelling headphones that will be good in bed to help me sleep. I have the Sony WF-1000XM3 and they are great but too bulky for side sleeping any recommendations??
    Ha, I've had to resort to using my XM3s quite a bit at night. Can manage with just one earbud in it seems. Although I keep forgetting to change the settings so have to cling on to one bud so audio continues!
  • bone-on 5 Jan 2021 19:17:07 659 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Never tried them personally but these reviewed well when I was half heartedly looking for something for the Mrs.

https://uk.kokoon.io/

Designed to actually be slept it
    Cheers will have a look
  • Tomo 7 Jan 2021 14:45:55 18,829 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    FYI... Tidal is £4 for 4 months atm. Good chance to test out its high bitrate audio (CD quality and also a Studio Master setting for some tracks).
  • tadejpogacar 7 Jan 2021 14:56:10 407 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    ... on your Pono.

Edited by tadejpogacar at 14:56:21 07-01-2021
  • You-can-call-me-kal 7 Jan 2021 14:56:59 22,315 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Oh really? I just did a month free trial of it and wasnít impressed. Didnít exactly do a scientific test but it didnít sound as good as my hard drive of rips. Also itís just not as good as Spotify on any level - content, UX etc.

The Studio Master content is a much more expensive sub (£20 a month) and I doubt included in the trial.
  • andytheadequate 7 Jan 2021 17:08:17 9,493 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh really? I just did a month free trial of it and wasnít impressed. Didnít exactly do a scientific test but it didnít sound as good as my hard drive of rips. Also itís just not as good as Spotify on any level - content, UX etc.

The Studio Master content is a much more expensive sub (£20 a month) and I doubt included in the trial.
    I think the higher level sub is included but you don't get as long. I did a free trial for it a month or 2 ago and that's how it worked then at least. I found the app, play lists and content to be fairly good, it's certainly far easier to use than Amazon Music.

I've given up on Tidal as my amp with inbuilt chromecast seems to shit itself if I use Tidal for a few hours, not sure what's at fault but it makes it unusable for me.

I wish Tidal/Amazon Music HD offered another tier where you get CD quality stuff but not the Masters/ UltraHd. I can't hear any sound improvement over CD so it's a waste for me, but I'd be ok with paying for the improvement over MP3.
  • Tomo 7 Jan 2021 17:28:12 18,829 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago

All tiers are £4 for 4 months. I already tried Tidal a while back but used a second email account to give this a whirl. Good timing for testing my Grados.
  • Tomo 7 Jan 2021 17:28:51 18,829 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    But yeah, Tidal isn't as good as Spotify. Altho it's better than when I last used it.
  • nickthegun 7 Jan 2021 18:57:10 84,512 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    If you want crap, I fancied listening to a few old bootleg a few weeks ago, so tried logging onto google music as Iíd upload a load of old crap to there. The super shitty service has been merged into YouTube music which looks like if someone tried to rip off Spotify from memory. Itís just dreadful.
  • fontgeeksogood 7 Jan 2021 18:58:09 11,986 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Why isn't Bluetooth better
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.