Following Headphones Page 52

• b-rk 7 Jan 2021 19:10:22 1,629 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    MDR 7506 have been the answer for me. They sound better to my ear than any other 'phones I have tried, better than other cans that cost 5 times as much. DT 770 are still a decent option if you want a warmer, more lively 'listenable' sound. The 7506 might sound too clinical for some but I'm done looking for headphones now.
  • mrharvest 8 Jan 2021 03:37:01 5,641 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @b-rk That's a real classic. They're a standard monitor headphones, we had a pair in every camera bag. So I think you could do a lot worse!

I'm personally not so keen on them (and for unrelated reason I despise the Beyer DT770) but the truth about headphones is that you need cans that /you/ like. I know my favourite monitor headphones Fostex T50RP is a bizarre choice but I like them and that's what matters.
  • Tomo 9 Jan 2021 17:48:54 18,829 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    So, I've had a couple of days with the Grado SR80e headphones... I've got them going through my Fiio E10K and Tidal using HiFi/Master bitrates. I've come from normally using Sony MX3s with Spotify via my Pixel 2 which can do LDAC. I also sometimes use DT770s with the Fiio.

And yeah... the Grados sound pretty damn great. I haven't been very systematic in testing the various permutations of gear/bitrate etc, but the Grados are noticeably great as described above. Lots of new instruments discovered in old favourite songs, vocals sound great and wide sound stage. The bass is even quite a bit better than I was anticipating. Perhaps I'm too used to bass-heavy cans and the benefit of actually hearing all the other sounds renders makes the wub-wubs less important.

My only real complaint so far is that they feel a touch tight on the sides of my head, a little like having two fingers gently pressing just below my temples. Earpads are a bit like scouring pads too.
  • andytheadequate 9 Jan 2021 18:11:01 9,493 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I found it was really important to position my Grados properly, I had them too high and too far back, which put some pressure on my ears, but as soon as I moved them forward and lower they were far better.

Also, the pads on the 80s are a dream compared to the ones on the 225/325. A harsher material, a more awkward shape, and no padding where there should be padding made them unbearable for me, so I bought a pair of the 60/80/125 pads and they're far better. They're still less comfy than other headphones though, although at least my ears don't get really warm whilst wearing them.
  • Tomo 9 Jan 2021 18:22:46 18,829 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    I found it was really important to position my Grados properly, I had them too high and too far back, which put some pressure on my ears, but as soon as I moved them forward and lower they were far better.

Thanks. I've not had on-ear headphones, so I'd kinda positioned them thinking the pads need to cover my ear lobes. But having brought them forward a few cms, they already feel less pinching, despite being in a less intuitive position.

They really do feel like all effort, attention and cost has been put into the sound, and everything else is completely optimised to be satisfactory but no more, haha.

I'm listening to some Laura Marling atm and it really shines. Amazing in fact. But, I still don't think I'd want these as a primary pair of headphones.
  • nickthegun 10 Jan 2021 20:26:25 84,512 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I've bagged a pair of grado S80e, Takstar pro 80s and a Fiio btr3k from a local facebook group. There were also had some s60es and audio technica mx50 for similar cash but that felt like overkill. Not a bad first whack with a pair of open and closed back and a DAC.

Apparently, the Takstar are clones of the DT770, so that's cool.

Going to do an awkward pickup on Tuesday...
  • Tomo 11 Jan 2021 10:45:28 18,829 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Nice. That sounds like an actual useful thing to come out of Facebook for once. SR80 coffee cunt club.

I toyed with Spotify Premium vs. Tidal HiFi/Master bitrates at the weekend. Had them both open side-by-side on the same track listening to 10/20 second chunks of music using both. I could barely tell the difference, certainly not if it was a blind test. Are my ears broken or do I need to get some £1k headphones now?! I guess it's a good thing as I don't need to keep Tidal.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 11 Jan 2021 10:54:07 22,315 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    As I said before when I tested Tidal it didnít sound as good as my CD rips or hi res files, including the Master stuff which in some cases actually actually sounded a bit weird for me.

But also yes, itís about how you do the test and what youíre testing. Itís not just listening to two tracks and asking yourself what Ďsounds betterí. Itís about detail in certain frequencies and you still need a certain quality of tech to hear that.

So yes, probably best not to go down that rabbit hole.
  • freddymercurystwin 11 Jan 2021 10:54:30 2,371 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    Nice. That sounds like an actual useful thing to come out of Facebook for once. SR80 coffee cunt club.
    If you don't mind the infused ear sweat from the previous owners seeping into your ears. :)

Edited by freddymercurystwin at 10:55:05 11-01-2021
  • nickthegun 11 Jan 2021 11:04:46 84,512 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Im also expecting a full viral load from them but a light misting in zoflora should show them whos boss.

And, speaking of tidal, since Ive looked at every headphone/hifi page on the internet, skynet has tried to get me to sign up for Qobuzz which looks pretty swanky

https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/music/streaming/offers

So im going to give that a shot when everything has been through hazmat decon.
  • Tomo 11 Jan 2021 16:49:30 18,829 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @You-can-call-me-kal

Yeah, it's a classic case of diminishing returns for how far you want to go. Think I'm pretty happy with what I've got, until I impulse buy something further down the line again for a slightly different flavour.

I realise I now own at least seven pairs of headphones, which is pretty ridiculous, albeit some are for distinct purposes such as running. I am strangely enamoured with them.
  • Tomo 11 Jan 2021 16:50:09 18,829 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:

And, speaking of tidal, since Ive looked at every headphone/hifi page on the internet, skynet has tried to get me to sign up for Qobuzz which looks pretty swanky

https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/music/streaming/offers

So im going to give that a shot when everything has been through hazmat decon.
    Ohhh... never heard of that. Interesting.
  • Tomo 11 Jan 2021 16:52:40 18,829 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    How big in MB is a single say 4 minute track in Hi-Res format?
  • nickthegun 11 Jan 2021 16:57:18 84,512 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    flacs like 30mb a song, or at least it was back in the days of yore
  • andytheadequate 11 Jan 2021 17:45:56 9,493 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    After trialling Tidal and Amazon Music HD I decided to stick with Spotify for usability and just buy CDs instead. Old stuff can be found dirt cheap second hand, and new stuff is nowhere near as expensive as a record. Plus it sounds better on my CD transport than either Tidal or Amazon HD, which I was surprised about.

I'd love to replace them with records but can't justify the immense cost just for a more stylish set up.
  • Tomo 11 Jan 2021 17:50:35 18,829 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I do think they should bundle HiRes downloads with records. I mean who the hell buys both at full whack. And it would better incentivise buying vinyls.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 11 Jan 2021 18:50:24 22,315 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    @You-can-call-me-kal

Yeah, it's a classic case of diminishing returns for how far you want to go. Think I'm pretty happy with what I've got, until I impulse buy something further down the line again for a slightly different flavour.

I realise I now own at least seven pairs of headphones, which is pretty ridiculous, albeit some are for distinct purposes such as running. I am strangely enamoured with them.
    They are super moreish. Iím well into double figures.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 11 Jan 2021 18:52:02 22,315 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    I do think they should bundle HiRes downloads with records. I mean who the hell buys both at full whack. And it would better incentivise buying vinyls.
    Yeah I never bother with the downloads they come with because of Spotify but that would be brilliant.
  • gamingdave 11 Jan 2021 18:52:14 5,035 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    A large chunk of the vinyl I bought last year came with a code to grab MP3s or FLACs of the whole album, with some via BandCamp which is handy as then they end up in the same place as my digital only purchases.

--edit--

Should have said, thats for 44.1/16 downloads, but then having done extensive blind testing on myself with HiRes files and 44.1/16 I have never been able to tell the difference so need nothing higher

Edited by gamingdave at 18:54:00 11-01-2021
  • You-can-call-me-kal 11 Jan 2021 18:53:26 22,315 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Theyíre rarely FLACs in my experience. I think the Erased Tapes ones all are but otherwise for me itís nearly always mp3. Maybe itís the kind of music I buy.
  • UncleLou Moderator 11 Jan 2021 19:02:08 40,251 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I seem to be in a minority here, but I really, really prefer Tidal. It has better curated playlists, it has better automated suggestions, it has album credits (drove me absolute nuts on Spotify), and it at least had many, many smaller labels that weren't on Spotify, but I think Spotify caught up in that regard.

edit: The reason I changed at the time was the album/tracks limit on Spotify, but I think Spotify may also have upped that in the meantime.

Edited by UncleLou at 19:04:22 11-01-2021
  • fontgeeksogood 11 Jan 2021 19:06:00 11,986 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I prefer Tidal as well, some of that is ethics re artist payments, as well as the better algorithms and content. I find it way better at finding me new music that I enjoy, which ultimately is what I want out of these services
  • Tomo 11 Jan 2021 19:42:40 18,829 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I notice that Tidal has completely ripped off the Spotify UI since I last used it. It feels almost identical.

The music recommendations it's made me so far have been good, that's true. Not that I've found Spotify's bad, but I think I've used Spotify for so long that it's recommendations have become homogenised, if that makes sense. Tidal is treating me as a fresh customer and throws all sorts of stuff at me to figure out my preferences, and it'll eventually probably converge on the same point as Spotify. Maybe - I'm possibly talking bollocks and it's just better.
  • nickthegun 11 Jan 2021 20:54:08 84,512 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I think that was probably the same with me on tidal. I don't think a free trial is quite long enough to get to know you properly, whereas I've been on Spotify long enough for it to suggest music for me that I would pretend to be offended by if a human suggested it but it knows I'm secretly a basic gen xer.

I mean, ten years is a good innings to be on a service I initially laughed at when Napster first suggested it.

YOU PAY TO RENT THE MUSIC AND WHEN YOU STOP PAYING YOU LOSE ACCESS TO IT? HAHA, WHAT BULLSHIT!

Also why I donít trade shares.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 12 Jan 2021 07:00:08 22,315 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Iíd like to try Qobuz. Their hifi stuff is actually hi bitrate unlike Tidal, but the price is astronomical.
  • Dougs 12 Jan 2021 07:19:01 97,448 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    As we're talking streaming services, it's very frustrating that none of them have worked with Amazon to enable families to uses different profiles on different devices. Only way is if each device is logged in through a different Amazon account, then losing the central control.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 12 Jan 2021 07:33:08 22,315 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I donít quite get what you mean, but I have a frustration with having multiple Spotify accounts on one Google home system that sounds similar.
  • Dougs 12 Jan 2021 07:37:54 97,448 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I'd like my kids to have their own profiles playing on their own devices and my profile on the others in the house, but it doesn't seem possible. I'm with Deezer but the only vague work around is with Amazon Music and only then if they have their own Amazon account associated with the device and not mine. I'm bored of them playing Dove Cameron. My algorithms are totally fucked.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 12 Jan 2021 07:41:21 22,315 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah this is why the Spotify family sub is good. Itís the only one that works that way afaik, although it costs more. Itís probably the main reason I stick with Spotify.
  • Armoured_Bear 12 Jan 2021 07:48:03 29,481 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    Iíd like to try Qobuz. Their hifi stuff is actually hi bitrate unlike Tidal, but the price is astronomical.
    Itís 12.49 a month paid annually or 14.99 paid monthly so cheaper than Tidal.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.