Following Headphones Page 25

• nickthegun 7 Jan 2019 16:15:30 77,813 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    All the reviews I've read say they better the MX2 in every possible way. They improve on the good bits and remove any faults. It's kind of hard to look past them, tbh.
  • arty 7 Jan 2019 16:17:12 544 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    So, is the modern office space just full of people wearing expensive headphones trying to ignore each other?
  • Jono62 7 Jan 2019 16:19:57 22,203 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wish mine was like that.
  • Tomo 7 Jan 2019 16:20:04 16,570 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    All the reviews I've read say they better the MX2 in every possible way. They improve on the good bits and remove any faults. It's kind of hard to look past them, tbh.
    Aye. I've got the 2s. Don't reallllly think I can justify the upgrade as the 2s are so good anyway.
  • nickthegun 7 Jan 2019 17:55:55 77,813 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    arty wrote:
    So, is the modern office space just full of people wearing expensive headphones trying to ignore each other?
    Ours is, basically, misanthropes trying to block out anyone with a personality.
  • challenge_hanukkah 7 Jan 2019 17:59:48 10,727 posts
    Seen 22 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    arty wrote:
    Ours is, basically, misanthropes trying to block out anyone with a personality.
    Sounds heavenly. I'd wear headphones if I could get away with it to drown out the dribbling mongery
  • nickthegun 7 Jan 2019 18:05:59 77,813 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    This week is generally the busiest of the year for people in the office, so it was even worse than usual.

You need to listen to pounding, pounding techno music to drown them out, which I find doesn't massively help concentration.

Edited by nickthegun at 18:06:26 07-01-2019
  • challenge_hanukkah 7 Jan 2019 18:16:30 10,727 posts
    Seen 22 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm going to try and find some discrete flesh coloured ear buds and see if I can't get away with listening to the soothing squelch of whale fucking or something.
  • Your-Mother 7 Jan 2019 22:01:08 2,766 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I picked up the MX3s for the exact same reason (drown out cubicle hellscape soundtrack) and now I pretty much couldn't live without them.

They (and every other ANC headset I've tried) are absolute pish for conference calls though, as the mics pick up every last ounce of background noise. Going from them to some generic IT-supplied Plantronics headset is not fun.
  • THFourteen 7 Jan 2019 22:07:43 51,946 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    How’s the ambient sound mode on the Mx3s? That’s the one thing I was disappointed in with the 1s. Thought I could wear them and still hear what people were saying but not really.
  • fontgeeksogood 7 Jan 2019 22:10:55 6,052 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Yeah, how's the ambient noise on the noise cancelling headphones?

I KNOW THE QUESTIONS DON'T MAKE SENSE BUT THE DIRECTOR CAN HAVE HIS CAKE AND FUCK IT IF HE SO DESIRES
  • Your-Mother 7 Jan 2019 22:17:48 2,766 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Question does make sense - ANC is really supposed to filter out all the background crap but keep the focus on voice if you want it. These do that well - even on full ANC you would at least know if someone's trying to talk to you, but pumping up the ambient mode a couple of notches means you can pretty much hold a full conversation with them on while still drowning out the background buzz.

You can also cup one of the earphones to temporarily turn full ambience on, dunno if that's new on the MX3s or not, but it's pretty invaluable to me.
  • fontgeeksogood 7 Jan 2019 22:20:54 6,052 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I APOLOGIZE PROFUSELY TO THE DIRECTOR
  • greenmekon 7 Jan 2019 22:26:44 512 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Looking to grab the MX3's soon, they look and hopefully sound awesome.
  • THFourteen 7 Jan 2019 22:32:31 51,946 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    I APOLOGIZE PROFUSELY TO THE DIRECTOR
    Step into my office.
  • lordofthedunce 8 Jan 2019 08:36:01 546 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Your-Mother wrote:

You can also cup one of the earphones to temporarily turn full ambience on, dunno if that's new on the MX3s or not, but it's pretty invaluable to me.
    You can do this on the lesser model Sony wh-h900 too. Touch/gesture control on the right earphone.
    I bought those esterday having tried Jay's u-jays wireless, which are of great quality and look great but are on-ear and crushed my ears after 10 minutes. I also tried the Skullkandy Crusher headphones, which were comfy but the same price as the Sonys.
    The noise-cancelling works fairly well on the wh h900s but I'm mainly trying to drown out my kids. Not sure how they compare with the mx models but not bad at half the price.
  • IronGiant 8 Jan 2019 10:06:57 5,905 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    smoothpete wrote:
    FWFW I tried some 1000XM3's recently and was blown away. By far and away the best headphones I've personally ever tried. I will be getting some in the near future.
    Ever tried the XM2s pete? Just curious how they compare.
    I had the XM2s for 12 months and loved them.. have recently took the plunge and upgraded to the XM3s.

For me I prefer the fit of the new pair, headband stays put better when I'm at the gym which is great! Prefer the materials they've used this time and the sound cancellation does seem better.

Sound quality wise I don't think there's much difference to be fair, the XM2s already sounded superb to start with.

I sold my XM2s for 180 and paid 230 for the 3s (Hong Kong eBay seller & 15% eBay code) so I'm happy with the upgrade for that price :)
  • Tomo 8 Jan 2019 10:31:14 16,570 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Nice - tbh, if the sound quality isn't much of a jump, I think I'll stick. I'm happy enough with the rest that I'm not bothered. Good to know though!
  • You-can-call-me-kal 8 Jan 2019 13:32:06 15,733 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    In terms of sounds quality there's very little difference between any mk of the 1000Xs. The main improvements were in fit and noise cancelling across all three versions.

In fact unless you have an LDAC enabled source (Sony only) the quality isn't really any difference in sound quality to the much cheaper Sony bluetooth headphones.
  • Your-Mother 8 Jan 2019 14:38:59 2,766 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    LDAC is part of the Android codebase now so almost any new(ish) phone on Oreo will have it.
  • nickthegun 9 Jan 2019 20:39:41 77,813 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So... after tying myself up in knots for days, driving myself mad with review after review, I went with.... DUN DUN DUUUUUN

Sennheiser PXC 550

They reviewed great, have all the features I wanted and, importantly, I got to actually demo them in my office thanks to a loan from a bro so I know they hit all the right spots. They definitely suit the kind of music I listen to. The only real downside is the cups look like something mork flew to earth in and no usb c.

Every other set had its ups and downs, the B&O had very mixed, proper love/hate reviews, less so the B&W but the hard ear cups sounded annoying and kalels review wasn't exactly glowing. The qc35 hung in there until the last knockings but the 550s won out on sound quality and, frankly, the hour I spent with them was absolutely flawless.

And they were only 210 so I've got change to jizz on something else I don't need.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 9 Jan 2019 20:44:13 15,733 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Now those ARE the Volvo of headphones 😉

Solid choice. May they serve you well.
  • nickthegun 9 Jan 2019 20:47:44 77,813 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    They really are! But I figured no one would ever know to mug me for them, so I've got that going for me.
  • Tomo 10 Jan 2019 09:41:38 16,570 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Your-Mother wrote:
    LDAC is part of the Android codebase now so almost any new(ish) phone on Oreo will have it.
    Aye, my Pixel 2 has LDAC support.
  • b-rk 14 Jan 2019 20:03:51 925 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I don't think much of these HD 599, they sound muddy compared to the DT 770's, cost more n'all. Maybe they just need to be broken in, or is that just a meme.

:|
  • You-can-call-me-kal 14 Jan 2019 20:15:16 15,733 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Breaking in is a thing, but I think your ears getting used to them is more likely to be the reason why sound improves over time.
  • nickthegun 15 Jan 2019 14:53:46 77,813 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    SITREP: happy with these so far. The ANC is really good and they sound great. I'm hoping the kids will soften a little after they are run in, but so far they are proving great for the office. The sound quality of calls kicks the crap out of my Beats and AKG sets and they are light and comfortable enough to wear all day.

The functions are really good. The touch panel work great and I'm liking being able to use the USB cable to charge while listening, that's a good touch.

My only real gripes are they don't support AAC, which isn't a huge deal and the most powerful bits of the app don't work unless you have local files of are using Tidal, which is the only music service it supports for some reason.

Oh, and the headband was too tight for my basketball head but, as usual, a few nights left over the arm of my sofa sorted that out.

So far, v. impressed.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 15 Jan 2019 16:49:17 15,733 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Don't understand. Is it a source as well as an output device or something? Sounds weird.
  • DUFFMAN5 20 Jan 2019 17:58:26 24,532 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Hi All
    Can anyone recommend some good Bluetooth wireless headphones (preferably inner ear, from Amazon would be ideal). I bought a cheap pair and they will not pair with my Kindle and lose connection to my Xperia phone.

I'm thinking £50 budget.

Cheers.
  • nickthegun 20 Jan 2019 18:45:45 77,813 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    Don't understand. Is it a source as well as an output device or something? Sounds weird.
    Sorry, missed this. If you plug the headphones into your pc/Mac via the USB cable, it will pick them up as, seemingly, a soundcard and output sound to them at the same time as charging which is why, I assume, they pack in a long USB cable. The sound is identical to the 3.5mm jack (to my ears), so it's a super useful feature.

I believe the H9i does it too.

Edited by nickthegun at 18:47:00 20-01-2019

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.