Following Headphones Page 32

• Armoured_Bear 14 Oct 2019 17:24:25 27,514 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    Why is real leather such a deal breaker? Actually don't answer that.

I've bought the PX7s. Should arrive later today
    This is why:

That is fucking minging
    Exactly, that's what happens when you wear fake leather headphones every day for hours.
  • Addy__ 14 Oct 2019 17:24:35 2,002 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Ooze leakage.
  • nickthegun 14 Oct 2019 17:25:00 79,230 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I mean...wow... your sweat is literally corrosive
  • fontgeeksogood 14 Oct 2019 17:34:30 7,565 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The B&Ws will replace my AKG Y50s which I've had for maybe 5 years, wear every day including gym work and have synthetic leather pads.

They do not look anything like yours. I would seriously get that checked out

Edited by fontgeeksogood at 17:35:38 14-10-2019
  • Armoured_Bear 14 Oct 2019 17:41:08 27,514 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    The B&Ws will replace my AKG Y50s which I've had for maybe 5 years, wear every day including gym work and have synthetic leather pads.

They do not look anything like yours. I would seriously get that checked out
    Google "headphones leather peeling" and you'll see how common it is.
  • fontgeeksogood 14 Oct 2019 17:48:38 7,565 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Christ, I just wondered what the earcups must smell like and I dry heaved
  • Your-Mother 14 Oct 2019 17:48:46 3,225 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    This must be from all that horrible msg
  • Armoured_Bear 14 Oct 2019 17:51:19 27,514 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    Christ, I just wondered what the earcups must smell like and I dry heaved
    They do smell significantly better than your tadger, although that doesn't say much.
  • fontgeeksogood 14 Oct 2019 17:53:22 7,565 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Wait, how do you know what my tadger smells like
  • Armoured_Bear 14 Oct 2019 17:57:50 27,514 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    Wait, how do you know what my tadger smells like
    Some mates of mine used to live in Vancouver and your smegma is pretty legendary out there....
  • fontgeeksogood 14 Oct 2019 18:04:49 7,565 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Anyway, the PX7s had a much more pleasing sound to my non-sandpaper ears than the Sonys or Bose I tried.

But if I were more exclusively a hip hop or other bassy music I think the Sonys would be a better choice, if anyone else is looking around
  • You-can-call-me-kal 14 Oct 2019 18:09:34 17,917 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Iíve had pleather headphones peel. Nothing like that image but I think all have gone that way over time. Iím fairly sure itís nothing to do with wearing them tbh. They seem to dry out and flake.

I think NC headphones always have a slightly fatiguing sound. I donít know why but Iím pretty sure itís a recognised thing. Thatís why so many of them now have adaptive NC according to background sound levels, to minimise the issue as much as possible.

I still think a really good pair of isolating headphones is arguably a better solution. But NC tech has become so prevalent nobody seems to bother making them anymore.
  • Armoured_Bear 14 Oct 2019 18:13:22 27,514 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    I managed to try the Sony WH-1000xm3, Bose 700 and the B&O H9i headphones and sadly wouldn't be completely happy with any of them.

Sony - Seem comfortable with great NC but I really didn't like the sound signature, far too much mid bass for my taste.
    Bose - Good, NC, much better sound but they made my ears itchy, I eventually realised it must be the sound pressure from the NC.
    B&O - Comfortable and feel nice but NC not as good as the others, sounded good apart from one aspect of the sound, the upper mid range sounded a bit shrill and sibilant.

The Dali ones come out here next week, hopefully I'll get a go on them at some point.
    Repeated for Kalel...
  • You-can-call-me-kal 14 Oct 2019 18:24:38 17,917 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah, I think the problem youíre always going to have is that NC headphones sacrifice other areas.
  • Armoured_Bear 14 Oct 2019 18:37:10 27,514 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    Yeah, I think the problem youíre always going to have is that NC headphones sacrifice other areas.
    Yeah, I could actually live with the sound of the Bose, just a shame about the ear irritation.
  • ozthegweat 14 Oct 2019 21:05:49 2,342 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Bose - Good, NC, much better sound but they made my ears itchy, I eventually realised it must be the sound pressure from the NC.
    The new Bose have adjustable NC. I've read reports of people having had the pressure problem before but not with the new Bose when lowering the NC to about 5 out of 10.

Edited by ozthegweat at 21:10:37 14-10-2019
  • neilka 14 Oct 2019 21:23:43 22,805 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Is there a pair where the pressure goes up to "Scanners"?
  • gamecat 14 Oct 2019 21:23:56 899 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    There are 3rd party XM3 earpads available btw
    https://dekoniaudio.com/filter/?product_cat=wh1000xm3
  • Armoured_Bear 14 Oct 2019 23:02:47 27,514 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ozthegweat wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    The new Bose have adjustable NC. I've read reports of people having had the pressure problem before but not with the new Bose when lowering the NC to about 5 out of 10.
    Thanks, I'll see if I can adjust it when in the shop next.
  • fontgeeksogood 14 Oct 2019 23:16:54 7,565 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'm not certain, but I think that sort of finer tuning has to be done via the app
  • You-can-call-me-kal 15 Oct 2019 08:57:47 17,917 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Iím ever so slightly disappointed with the XM3 in-ears. Pound for pound theyíre the best wireless in ears Iíve tried by some margin. They fit well. They sound very nice. The battery life is incredible. The noise cancelling is really impressive. They donít make you look like a twat. All big scoring pluses.

But, the touch controls are really not great. I donít really get the obsession with touch controls generally on headphones, but on tiny in-ears it is a madness. I find if you accidentally touch them when youíre taking them out the case it fucks up the connection and Iíve had all sorts of problems with them not connecting, or only one connecting, and then the problem has to be fixed using the Sony app, not the phone settings. They are also overly sensitive so if I have my hood up or a hat on, and they get even slightly rubbed, the music keeps getting paused. And you canít control the volume from them which is pretty shit considering thatís standard on these things now, and kinda defeats the whole wireless thing.

Could well be these issues get ironed out with software revisions (or more irritatingly hardware revisions) and apart from the controls they get an A+, but itís no small niggle.
  • nickthegun 15 Oct 2019 09:15:23 79,230 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Obvious question but can you turn it off in the app?
  • uiruki 15 Oct 2019 09:18:25 4,981 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Iím pretty used to holding them by the sides when putting them in and taking them out, but the initial connection does seem a bit capricious at times. Once they are connected theyíre fine and I find that tapping the right bud does seem to jolt it into life, as does having the phone awake. Iíve had no bother with a hood up, aside from the usual ďrub stuff against a noise cancelling microphone for fun resultsĒ stuff but they do physically get in the way a little with a hat on because they protrude a fair bit.

I reckon the initial connection is done through the app and thatís the problem, especially when the phone has been asleep for a while.

Edit: yeah, you can deactivate the touch controls in the app, at least the play/pause and noise cancelling cycle. There arenít many options on there annoyingly - Iíd have liked something like the B&O ones where you can double tap to skip, triple tap to rewind and hold on either to change volume.

Edited by uiruki at 09:21:48 15-10-2019
  • Load_2.0 15 Oct 2019 09:22:47 30,156 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I've had a few issues with the right one dropping connection and the battery seems to drain faster on the right.

I have to pause anything I'm listening to when I walk through the concourse at Waterloo as the interference makes them unusable.

As you say fairly small niggles and hopefully can be resolved with an update.
  • fontgeeksogood 15 Oct 2019 09:23:51 7,565 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:

But, the touch controls are really not great. I donít really get the obsession with touch controls generally on headphones
    That - and the ability to connect to more than one device at a time - was what made me choose the B&Ws over the Sonys
  • uiruki 15 Oct 2019 09:27:59 4,981 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I quite like the touch control pad thing on the full size Sonys, but Iíd be lying if I said that I didnít look at the buttons on the Momentum 3.0 with at least a little envy.
  • nickthegun 15 Oct 2019 09:42:08 79,230 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Agreed. My sennheiser have got touch controls and Iíve got a couple of pairs with buttons and much prefer them.

I guess buttons seem less premium?
  • You-can-call-me-kal 15 Oct 2019 09:52:13 17,917 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I think in theory itís more reliable tech. Iíve had numerous headphones where the analogue buttons have got stuck.
  • uiruki 15 Oct 2019 10:00:26 4,981 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I suspect on the in ear ones itís a bit less space to have a touchpad than a couple of buttons. I have some Jabra elite sport ones for the gym and theyíre really quite bulky for earphones with their buttons.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.