Following Headphones Page 33

• You-can-call-me-kal 15 Oct 2019 10:12:54 17,917 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    For sure.

In a way Iíd almost rather go down the Apple route of just putting all the controls on the phone. Itís shit but at least itís decisive. Better not to have the functionality at all than something that isnít fit for purpose.
  • Zerobob 15 Oct 2019 10:23:20 2,276 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I want some new over-ear bluetooth headphones after my Bose Soundlink 2s severely let me down recently.

Quite happy to spend around £300 or more for the right pair but, judging by reviews, price doesn't necessarily guarantee you a comfy pair that you can wear for an extended period of time.

One thing I absolutely don't want is a bluetooth noise floor. What I mean by that is a slight background hiss whilst connected via bluetooth. A lot of people can't hear this, but I'm particularly sensitive to it. If anyone has experienced this in the past, and then gone on to find a pair which eliminate it, I'd love to hear from you.

I know it must be possible because sound is delivered to the PS DualShock pad via bluetooth from the PS4, and I hear no background noise whatsoever when plugging headphones into that.

I still need to sacrifice an afternoon and go and try out a load of different headphones and determine the comfiest, but I'm open to recommendations on sound quality. Soundstage is important to me, as is clear bass - I found my Bose headphones would actually distort low frequencies now and again.

Last time I tested headphones the Bose were by far the lightest and most comfy, but unfortunately there's no way I can buy another product from that company.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 15 Oct 2019 10:33:21 17,917 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Again youíre looking at the same set of options - Momentums, QC, B&O options, B&Ws, maybe Beats, and the current favourites the Sony XM3s.

Get down a Curryís or whatever and give them all a listen. They are all pretty similar so it basically comes down to personal preference, and for you the one with the least Bluetooth hiss.
  • nickthegun 15 Oct 2019 10:51:01 79,230 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    As if by magic, a fairly deep dive into XM3 Vs M&DMW07 appears on my recommendations as I'm browsing for my black Friday wishlist....

Thanks, skynet!

https://youtu.be/vRIXScghE3E
  • Zerobob 15 Oct 2019 10:51:50 2,276 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So the Sony XM3s have the least bluetooth hiss?

I was looking at those as they've always seemed like a solid alternative to the Bose QC35s and just seem the obvious choice at this point, especially if they have the least bluetooth hiss.

I did hear some people report issues with the brittle headband snapping on the XM3s some time ago, but if I get them from John Lewis they have that 2 years guarantee, which Currys seem to have stopped providing for free. Let's just hope John Lewis stay in business long enough to honour the guarantee.
  • nickthegun 15 Oct 2019 10:53:07 79,230 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    When I was demoing headphones, the only brand that had really noticeable hiss was Beats. You could hear it in every quiet bit of the music.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 15 Oct 2019 10:57:33 17,917 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    As if by magic, a fairly deep dive into XM3 Vs M&DMW07 appears on my recommendations as I'm browsing for my black Friday wishlist....

Thanks, skynet!

If I hadnít lost my MW07s I definitely wouldnít have switched. I liked them a lot. Really nice special soundstage and lovely analogue buttons. Battery and NC were well below the Sonys though.
  • THFourteen 15 Oct 2019 10:59:59 53,174 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @nickthegun

Just had a quick look and the MW07s seem to only have aptX (i.e. latency / hiss with iOS) only 3.5hr battery life and doesn't connect to more than 1 device at a time...

All I've found with these in-ears is that none of them have all the features you want so you end up compromising in some way. My current pair of Jabra Elite 65ts were the best compromise I could find.
  • nickthegun 15 Oct 2019 11:02:07 79,230 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:

Thanks, skynet!

If I hadnít lost my MW07s I definitely wouldnít have switched. I liked them a lot. Really nice special soundstage and lovely analogue buttons. Battery and NC were well below the Sonys though.
    Gun to your head, which would you pick?
  • You-can-call-me-kal 15 Oct 2019 11:18:12 17,917 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The Sonys, but based on my personal use case. I have many pairs of headphones and I switch according to circumstance. I use in ears as a tool to listen to music when travelling to from work, and travelling around for work which I do a lot. The practicalities of longer battery and better NC far outweighs the better SQ of the MW07s for my purposes.

If I had to choose one to be my only pair of headphones? Honestly still the Sonys as pound for pound theyíre better, but thereíd be certain circumstances when Iíd wish I have the others.
  • nickthegun 15 Oct 2019 11:32:47 79,230 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Hmm... I would usually go for sound quality but battery life for these is, arguably, more important.

The wildcard are the powerbeats. Our employee purchase scheme opens soon and we get apple gear at a pretty tasty discount. I know a few people who can't say enough good things about them but they are as ugly as fuck.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 15 Oct 2019 11:40:38 17,917 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The sound quality of the Sonys is very good. If you never listened to the MW07s I doubt youíd question them.

The thing about the MW07s is that they donít sound like all the others of this type. They actually have a proper open soundstage. Itís really impressive.

But if you like the sound of this type of headphone then the Sonys are as good as any.
  • uiruki 15 Oct 2019 11:45:33 4,981 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Arenít Apple making proper in ear AirPods with noise cancelling soon? Iíd be interested in how well they work though obviously their usefulness is directly proportional to how much Apple stuff you have.
  • fontgeeksogood 17 Oct 2019 22:05:40 7,565 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    So, I've worn the B&Ws for a day and a bit.

They are so lovely. The build quality is astonishing, they just feel so premium (and should do). Comfort is great, too, and sound quality is just phenomenal (but I'm aware I'm not as much of an expert as others here on that).

I had buyers remorse until I put them on. Its a lot (IMO) to spend on cans but that evaporated quickly because it feels more expensive.

In summary, I love them. The only downside so far has been not getting an AC plug included (just the USB C cable), the volume up and down buttons are not next to each other and the app asks to track your GPS for some reason (no thanks Rodger Bowers & Wilkins)
  • uiruki 17 Oct 2019 22:42:54 4,981 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    You taken them outside yet?

Was in 'that London' today and was pretty impressed how the XM3 earbuds mostly stayed OK with only minimal dropouts around the signs in Kings Cross at quarter to 6 in the evening. My old B&O ones would have completely failed at that point.
  • fontgeeksogood 17 Oct 2019 22:47:43 7,565 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yes, the connection was rock solid yesterday, I walked for a couple of hours around the city (nowhere near as big and busy as London).

Really weird to be so isolated from the noise though
  • Your-Mother 17 Oct 2019 23:03:06 3,225 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Has the pleather melted and corroded from toxic juice yet
  • fontgeeksogood 18 Oct 2019 05:00:28 7,565 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    No, although I haven't felt threatened while wearing them yet so my aural ink sacs haven't deployed
  • Carlo 18 Oct 2019 07:40:46 20,685 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    uiruki wrote:
    You takn them outside yet?.
    Wear mine all the time, never had any hassles.

Then again, I'm an ugly cunt, and never get any hassle from anyone.
  • Carlo 18 Oct 2019 07:56:44 20,685 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Just bought some Sen 660 MB headphones.

As much as I love my B&W PX's, the microphone noise cancellation is non-existent, which makes for horrible phone calls for the recipient.
  • THFourteen 18 Oct 2019 08:04:40 53,174 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Phone calls?

Whatís that

Edited by THFourteen at 08:04:46 18-10-2019
  • SnackPlissken 18 Oct 2019 08:12:47 1,336 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Perhaps he's addicted to Babestation?
  • Carlo 18 Oct 2019 08:55:25 20,685 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Phone calls?

Whatís that
    I 'work' ;)
  • Armoured_Bear 18 Oct 2019 10:52:08 27,514 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cunts that walk around making phone calls with both ears covered, hence being extremely loud, need slapped.
  • Carlo 18 Oct 2019 11:46:36 20,685 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Cunts that walk around making phone calls with both ears covered, hence being extremely loud, need slapped.
    Busy/loud workspaces specifically is what I need these for.

These have sidetone, so you know when you're being a loud bastard.
  • monkehhh 18 Oct 2019 13:56:44 5,171 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Big fan of my SoundMagic E11BTs, makes me look like this guy (also the battery lasts forever).
  • Armoured_Bear 18 Oct 2019 14:45:03 27,514 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Carlo wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Busy/loud workspaces specifically is what I need these for.

These have sidetone, so you know when you're being a loud bastard.
    Cool, they should be mandatory:)
  • Carlo 18 Oct 2019 15:27:38 20,685 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I naively can't understand why they can't 'patch' the PX headphones that have multiple sensors to cancel out external noises that are not the wearers voice.
  • fontgeeksogood 18 Oct 2019 15:56:54 7,565 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Because they released PX7s which do that, pony up Carlo
  • Carlo 18 Oct 2019 18:56:28 20,685 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Lol, so, true!

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.