Following Divinity: Original Sin = RPG awesomeness 30/06/2014 Page 42

• Frogofdoom 27 Nov 2017 17:43:26 17,428 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @heavy_salad Alexander was a hard fight I thought, we sent our tank in to start it and teleported him out with everyone else on the stairs. Took loads of tries though, for me it was probably the 3rd hardest fight in the game.
  • Deleted user 27 November 2017 18:57:19
    @heavy_salad yes, it is possible to end up with a bit of a broken team. I think my mixture of two fighters and two mages was a bit broken due to my choices. I stuck with it too as I always do that in rpgs.

Yes, after act 1 you can respec. I would recommend dropping a couple of people back a bit at the start of combat. Taking out the caster on the left also helps a lot.

One other thing is to make sure all quests are done, all areas explored and equipment at the highest level you can. Also stock up on resurrection scrolls.
  • Deleted user 27 November 2017 18:58:59
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    The last boss is a real twat of a fight, also the last fight for lohse is tricky as well. Other than that it gets easier as you go I think.
    The lohse one, try to take out all the other people as a priority as they buff the boss due to thick of the fight.
  • heavy_salad 28 Nov 2017 10:49:13 1,208 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Mr_Sleep I think I've done all the quests I can do in and around Fort Joy - I have some 'open' quests but I've no idea how or when I can progress them now. Pretty sure I've explored the whole map.

Still around 35000 XP away from level 8 iirc so fuck knows :lol:
  • Deleted user 28 November 2017 12:25:29
    @heavy_salad have you done brachuss's tomb?

Getting all your equipment as good as possible is about the only other suggestion.
  • Duffking 28 Nov 2017 12:27:20 16,844 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    One thing you should always do if you feel like a conversation is heading for a fight (or if it definitely is, just do this before you click to end the conversation), is reposition the characters who aren't engaged with the conversation to somewhere they'll be in a good position for in the fight. As soon as I get into a conversation that'll lead to a fight, I'm moving my ranged characters to high ground and spreading out, etc.
  • heavy_salad 28 Nov 2017 14:06:13 1,208 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Mr_Sleep If that's the cave in the South East(?) of the map guarded by the skeleton Trompdoy (sp?) then yes I have.
  • Deleted user 28 November 2017 15:28:41
    @heavy_salad yeah, that is the one. There is some good armour in the brazier if you didn't grab it. Makes the complete set and can be easily missed.
  • heavy_salad 28 Nov 2017 15:37:52 1,208 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah I think I have three pieces of the Braccus armour set - one in the cave, one in the armoury and one after the gargoyle maze thing (IIRC). Not equipped any yet as they have negative status effects.

Edited by heavy_salad at 15:38:03 28-11-2017
  • Deleted user 28 November 2017 15:56:55
    @heavy_salad when combined as a set the negative stats disappear. One of the pieces is atop a tower. I cant recall if there are four or five pieces, might be worth a google.

Edited by Mr_Sleep at 15:57:10 28-11-2017
  • heavy_salad 28 Nov 2017 16:28:43 1,208 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah I guessed that the full set would negate the negative statuses. Will try and hunt down the last piece(s) tonight I guess.
  • heavy_salad 29 Nov 2017 16:52:53 1,208 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Only had time to pick up the rest of the Braccus armour set last night, but Red Prince is tank AF now :lol:

Will give Alexnader another bash tonight hopefully.
  • heavy_salad 29 Nov 2017 19:41:34 1,208 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Done it first go tonight. Surprisingly straight forward if I'm honest. I think the extra bit of armour points on most of my characters made a huge difference - so much easier when you can't be so easily stunned or whatever.
  • Frogofdoom 29 Nov 2017 19:58:32 17,428 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Enjoy act 2, its the best bit of the game IMO.
  • Deleted user 29 November 2017 23:41:05
    @heavy_salad good work chap.
  • heavy_salad 30 Nov 2017 10:23:51 1,208 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Enjoyed Fort Joy but I'm hoping the next section has some proper towns or something. My favourite part of the first game by far was Cyseal.

Didn't get much further than wandering around the Lady Vengeance a bit last night though.
  • Deleted user 30 November 2017 13:45:27
    @heavy_salad it does indeed. Not quite Cyseal but similar. On the lady vengence if you go to the bottom deck you will find a mirror to respec if you need to.
  • Gregolution 6 Dec 2017 15:51:45 11,063 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I did it I did it! I finally finished Divinity OS.

Can finally start Divinity 2 :D
  • heavy_salad 6 Dec 2017 23:58:10 1,208 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Enjoy. Original Sin 2 is shaping up to be every bit as good as the first game IMO.
  • RedPanda87 7 Dec 2017 08:21:06 2,132 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Better I'd say. It improves on all the first game's weak points imo.
  • Gregolution 7 Dec 2017 09:59:32 11,063 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So far I haven't noticed much of a difference other than it being much prettier.

You've got this armour system too but haven't yet seen what that really tactically adds to make things better.

If it turns out only 'as good' , I'll be incredibly happy with it
  • heavy_salad 7 Dec 2017 11:51:23 1,208 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Stranded87 Yeah you're probably right - didn't want to jump the gun with me probably only about 1/4 way through.

Tbh the only thing that noticeably hasn't been improved enough is inventory management. I get that each character has to have a specific inventory for multiplayer and stuff, so bundling gold for example isn't really doable, but there's limited sorting options and sifting through the junk is a bit of a pain.

Minor quibble, but it was an obvious flaw in the first game too I thought.
  • Gregolution 12 Dec 2017 22:34:28 11,063 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Are the quests in this as good as the first? I felt like the first had the most amazing puzzle quests, haven't found much yet that compares but I'm quite early on I guess.
  • RedPanda87 13 Dec 2017 08:19:45 2,132 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Personally I think the writing, balance and world design are all better than the first (though I never played the enhanced version or whatever they called it). Combat's similar but has a few more tricks, there's more variety in playable characters/races.

Not sure about puzzle quests, can only recall a couple of things that stood out to me like that from the first game, but this certainly has a fair few puzzles, whether they're as good or not.
  • Deleted user 13 December 2017 09:38:45
    Just started 2 (didn't play 1), decided to go with Red Prince (Wizard) as main character

That said, there are so many appealing character options I can see myself rerolling easily (haven't had a chance to try much combat yet)
  • heavy_salad 13 Dec 2017 10:49:32 1,208 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @the_dudefather Took me so long to decide which character I wanted to 'main' as.

I guess the good thing is you can obviously recruit 3 more of them in your party so you still get to experience their stories as well anyway.
  • Gregolution 13 Dec 2017 12:45:08 11,063 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Stranded87

I don't just mean puzzles, I mean quests that make you think and figure out what to do next. The murder quest at the start of Divinity 1 being the best example. that thing was a HUGE chain, absolutely amazing.

I completely agree the writing and voice acting is much better, I just want more quests like that murder one.
  • RedPanda87 13 Dec 2017 12:50:29 2,132 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Gregolution Ok yeah, so far I can't think of any quests that match that one (I'm not finished yet), but I can't think of many that match that in Divinity 1 either. I tend to think the first area in that was brilliant and then it lost it a bit. This seems more consistent to me.
  • heavy_salad 13 Dec 2017 12:59:33 1,208 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah I've missed something really in depth like the murder one. Although there's been a few multi-faceted quests already so far.

Need to get back into this actually, not been on since I went away for a few days last week.
  • Deleted user 26 February 2018 09:54:53
    Ended up restarting the game with a much more balanced party (now playing Red Prince warrior, with other characters acting as Mage, Rogue and Ranged)

Was struggling to make progress for a bit after escaping Fort Joy, was a bit lost and kept running into difficult fights. Made it tough to get back into playing the game for any length of time.

Then I started marking the map a lot more (mostly marking dangerous areas) and explored a lot more around the swamp, also went back into Fort Joy and cleared the place out and am in a much better position now to make story progress I think

Think the only thing I got left in Fort Joy is the underground fight pit so might check that out before moving on
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.