Following Divinity: Original Sin = RPG awesomeness 30/06/2014 Page 43

• Duffking 26 Feb 2018 14:15:22 16,844 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    One thing of note is that you can freely fully respec after you finish Act 1, obviously any money on gear is still wasted but not the end of the world.
  • Deleted user 26 February 2018 14:22:13
    Ah, good to hear, been a bit nervous when selecting upgrades (usually saving before leveling up a few characters)
  • Duffking 26 Feb 2018 17:05:13 16,844 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    You can do it at any time as well from then to the end, it's pretty ace.
  • Deleted user 19 March 2018 11:26:08
    Finished the first act now, last battle was pretty tough

Ended up having my ranged dudes hanging out near the edges while the enemy did most of the damage on the voidworm while I picked them off

Party consists of Red Prince (melee tank), Ifan (DPS ranged), Sebille (DPS melee) and Fane (caster)

Most of the party does well, but might respec Fane, given the rest of my party does mostly physical damage feels like magic based damage is a bit pointless. Might make him much more a support character with a lot fewer direct damage abilities selected
  • Gregolution 19 Mar 2018 12:29:30 11,063 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Duffking wrote:
    You can do it at any time as well from then to the end, it's pretty ace.
    But when you do, yo'ull need to re purchase all skill books right? I don't have nearly enough money for that
  • Duffking 19 Mar 2018 14:08:02 16,844 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Gregolution that you will. But you if you respec someone into thievery and steal loads of shit and sell it you'll be drowning in cash
  • chrisno21 29 Sep 2018 10:51:55 2,437 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Divinity 2 is £25 in Smyths at the minute and £30 at amazon.
  • Frogofdoom 29 Sep 2018 10:52:13 17,428 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Get a summoner to top level summoning early doors, makes things much easier as the beast it summons is godly early game.
  • Rhaegyr 24 Oct 2018 14:59:22 5,398 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Couldn't find a thread for the sequel so...

Playing this game with 2 mates at the moment, online co-op on the PS4. It's absolutely, bloody fantastic. Totally seamless, tons of quality of life improvements and the mischief you can get up to is so much more fun with a few people involved!

We've put about 10 hours into it and we've only just escaped Fort Joy due to pissing about so much.

It's tough 'role playing' one character, especially when you want to see/do everything but it's also refreshing in a way - choose a path and commit.

Any essential tips? I played the first one to completion but I've practically forgotten everything (except stealing everything that isn't bolted down).
  • RedPanda87 24 Oct 2018 15:44:14 2,132 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Rhaegyr get the Pet Pal skill if you haven't already. It's one of the most fun and useful ones in the game and you'll miss content without it.

That's about the only 'essential' tip I can think of.
  • Rhaegyr 24 Oct 2018 15:52:46 5,398 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @RedPanda87

First perk I chose considering how fun it was in the first game :)
  • Rogueywon 24 Oct 2018 15:59:39 11,357 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Rhaegyr I did a 2-player co-op run earlier in the year and it was awesome. A few quick tips:

- Think about how your combat skills mesh together across your characters. You'll sometimes hear people say "go pure physical or pure magic damage". I don't quite agree with that, but you will still need to consider carefully how skills interact with each other. Most status-effect abilities can't be applied until you have depleted the relevant armour type from the target. So the spell that turns a target into a chicken is great, but you need to have stripped the target of all of their physical armour before you can apply it.

- Crafting is both useful and a pain in the arse. The main thing to get from crafting are spells - certain skill books can never be obtained from vendors, but have to be obtained by combining two books of particular schools with each other. The game never tells you this.

- Learn to manage the battlefield. Elemental effects are a huge part of combat in this. Most battles will quickly become a miasma of flame, blood and steam. You can use different spells and abilities to change the elemental properties of the ground you're fighting on. As you get further into the game, this becomes a pretty essential skill.

- Summons are great. The Bone Widow in the necromancy school is fantastic (though you may need to use a buff to give it magic armour so enemies don't crowd control it). The dedicated Summoning school also has some good summons (obviously) and, more crucially, some really useful buffs you can apply to summons.

- You can learn all spells/abilities in a given school at rank 5. Some schools have lots of attacks whose effectiveness scales with levels. Some don't. So Pyromancy can be worth skilling up past rank 5 as spell damage continues to scale well from it. Necromancy, on the other hand, gives far fewer benefits. The higher your Summoning skill, the more powerful summoned creatures (including those from other schools) will be, so this is a good one to boost.

- Aetheroturge is generally considered under-powered. A couple of useful spells in there, like teleport, but by and large it (and to some extent Geomancy) lacks the top-tier utility of some of the other schools.

- I'm going to phrase this very carefully to avoid spoilers, but it might be fun to contemplate, in an entirely hypothetical sense, how you might beat your co-op partners in a stand-up fight.
  • Rhaegyr 24 Oct 2018 16:05:36 5,398 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Rogueywon

These tips are really great Roguey, particularly the crafting of certain skill books and the armour/status effects!

We currently have a Rogue/Scoundrel, Huntsman/Summoner (me), Mage (pyro, aero, hydro and geo) and The Red Prince (who's playing as a tank/melee character). Seems a pretty good mix at the moment but the enemies are fairly easy so far.

Any tips on whether this would be a good party late-game? I'm worried we're missing out on skill trees like Necro, Polymorph etc. that could be really valuable late game.

Last request for help - what's the best way to stock up on elemental arrows? We're still early on but I'm wary of using these as I only have about 10 in total across all elements/status effects.
  • Rogueywon 24 Oct 2018 16:14:00 11,357 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Rhaegyr As you get into the late-game and your character levels hit the high teens/low 20s, you generally get enough skill points to spread around a bit (not every school is worth taking past 5). I would personally start taking a bit of Necromancer (at least to rank 3 or so) on the Huntsman/Summoner.

Later in the game, you get access to a tool that will let you re-assign characters' stat points whenever you want, so your choices to this point have not been irrevocable.

You might want to think about which schools have stats that align together well. Your mage will benefit from the fact that intelligence will boost spells from quite a few of his schools - though geo less than the others. By and large, Warfare, which likes a lot of strength, can be combined well with geo (for those defensive abilities) and polymorph (which has a lot of abilities that give stat boosts or do physical damage). Scoundrel combines well with Huntsman, as both require dexterity (or is it called agility in this - I forget).

You will probably want two characters with access to Hydrosophist skills. That's where the healing spells lurk and you will want more than one character capable of healing, in case your healer gets incapacitated through unconsciousness or a status effect. A main healer and a backup who can heal when needed is the way to go.

In my game, we used all of the skill trees to some extent, though none of our characters went deep into geo or aether (though we did have a few ranks of both).

Elemental arrows are sold by vendors and can - I think - be crafted (though I forget the recipes. They get less useful as the game goes on - you will struggle to justify spending a turn using one of them, rather than a more useful skill.

Edited by Rogueywon at 16:14:57 24-10-2018
  • Rhaegyr 24 Oct 2018 16:27:19 5,398 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Rogueywon

Thanks again Roguey, very much appreciated!
  • Rogueywon 24 Oct 2018 16:34:55 11,357 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Rhaegyr Also, worth picking up abilities that open up new movement options. The teleport spell (aether rank 2) is very useful. It can be used either to move an enemy to a hurty-place or get an ally to a safer/more useful place. It does some physical damage to the target, so it's not without cost to use it on an ally, but we found it fantastic during our playthrough.

There's also a fairly low-rank Polymorph skill that gives a character wings. This allows them to move over harmful ground-effects and also gives them an ability that lets them jump rapidly to a distant point.

The later sections of the game have lots of encounters where the terrain or elemental effects will constrain your movement. Being able to bypass that is insanely useful. It also opens up new options in terms of bypassing the enemy front-line to gank their squishy casters.
  • challenge_hanukkah 24 Oct 2018 16:38:12 14,085 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I went all out physical damage on my first run as it seemed easier to manage with the party all pulling in same direction.

Sticking points in warfare for a necromancer build seemed odd, but worked really well.

Tentacle lash really rocks on any strength build.
  • Rogueywon 24 Oct 2018 16:45:15 11,357 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @challenge_hanukkah By and large, physical damage builds will give you excellent single target damage. What you'll find yourself lacking later in the game are AoE damage and serious crowd-control options. Those aren't insurmountable, though.

Magic-damage builds, on the other hand, tend to be great for AoE and for crowd controlling big groups of enemies, but can struggle to manage the pure damage-throughput needed to down certain bosses.

As you say, Necromancy mixes well in physical damage builds (all of its damage is physical and it doesn't have much that scales with intelligence) and Polymorph is the natural addition to a strength build.
  • Rhaegyr 8 Nov 2018 15:27:47 5,398 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This game is fantastic!

We've only just finished Act I (after about 20 hours) and have worked our way intro Driftwood.

So much fun playing it with a few other people. It's hard not to try and 'see' everything but it makes the things you do see/interact with that much more personal. Plus it leaves itself ripe open for a second run through to catch the things you've missed.
  • damagedinc 8 Apr 2021 08:43:34 3,027 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I need help,

I'm about 10 hours in and just met fane. I have no idea who to have in my party.

Currently have

Ifan (main)
    Prince
    Lohse
    Sebille

I was going to ditch sebille but heard the elves are worth having, lohse story supposed to be quite good and I like how crazy she is. I want fane to join my group and don't know who to ditch.

So any help appreciated. Feel im a bit too far in to start again.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 8 Apr 2021 08:59:45 17,132 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I had

Lohse (main)
    Fane
    Ifan
    Red Prince

Ifan ended up being a bit of a passenger thanks to some poor levelling choices while Prince became an absolute tank.

To be honest my decision was based more on who I recruited first but it had a nice balance for the stories and chit-chat among the party.

Fane and Lohse definitely had my favourite stories of my four.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 8 Apr 2021 09:01:09 17,132 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I didnít complete the game (but did put in a lot of time) so I canít say whoíll pay off in the end
  • Mola_Ram 8 Apr 2021 09:05:03 25,619 posts
    Seen 5 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It really doesn't matter who you have in your party, because aside from a couple of racial bonuses anyone can basically do anything. And you can respec as much as you want too.

In terms of the best stories though... yeah, Lohse and Fane. The Red Prince story is pretty cool too.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 8 Apr 2021 09:14:52 17,132 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Lohse I had as archer/ranged
    Fane as mage
    Ifan as soldier
    Prince as battle mage

I know it lets you having option of a re-spec eventually but I thought living with the consequences of poor rolls and decisions made them feel like characters more than blank templates.

Although there was one puzzle on Bloodmoon Island where I had to re-spec to get someoneís Wits up to find a hidden hatch that the quest couldnít be finished without
  • Mola_Ram 8 Apr 2021 09:25:09 25,619 posts
    Seen 5 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think living with bad rolls works for other games. But in this one you can kinda screw yourself. Like, say, if you decided to make Fane your main healer not knowing that healing spells kill the undead. Or just being utterly unprepared for particular fights in chapter 2.

And besides, the game encourages experimentation! So while I'm not chopping and changing all the time, I think a bit of it is fine.
  • Mola_Ram 8 Apr 2021 09:29:04 25,619 posts
    Seen 5 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Anyway, in the most recent one I played I had

Lohse (my main) as a long-distance mage
    Sebille as a hybrid ranged/close quarters assassin kind of thing
    Fane heavily into Necromancy
    Beast as close-quarters lightning man
  • damagedinc 8 Apr 2021 10:31:38 3,027 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cheers guys

Think I'm going to go

Ifan
    Red prince
    Fane
    Lohse

Do I need a designated healer?
  • Mola_Ram 8 Apr 2021 10:36:31 25,619 posts
    Seen 5 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    damagedinc wrote:
    Do I need a designated healer?
    It probably wouldn't hurt to give one of your intelligent characters some levels in water magic. You don't need to go too far though, even the low level skills (Restoration, Frost Armour) are pretty useful.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.