Netflix Recommendations Thread Page 206

• splosh 9 Feb 2019 11:28:35 297 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I really hope Kingdom is a prequel to Train to Busan.
  • Tuffty 9 Feb 2019 13:44:09 4,354 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Seen Abducted in Plain Sight. Not much to say about it that hasn't already been said but I think it was quite telling that when the choice was presented to their parents, they thought that hiding the fact that their neighbour was a paedophile that kidnapped their daughter was better than letting the community hear that the father might have homosexual tendencies. And that the community at large was quite welcoming to bring back a pedo into their fold. AND that the mother decided to write a book to profit over it. Just completely insane.

Kingdom was fantastic I thought, nice twist on zombie conventions while having enough period drama to keep it all intriguing with both plotlines.

Edited by Tuffty at 13:45:38 09-02-2019
  • super_whiskey 9 Feb 2019 13:48:33 301 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Watched Close last night.

Decent enough film but quite a few poorly explained plot points which they could've spent 10 minutes fleshing out a bit.

6/10
  • Tomo 9 Feb 2019 14:34:04 16,673 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    Just finished Sex Education, took a while to click but ended up being a very good show by the end of it. Great soundtrack as well.
    \o/

Agreed entirely. Feels like watching a televised combination of Nuts and Cosmopolitan at first, but blossoms later on.
  • Kay 9 Feb 2019 19:51:16 20,087 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Just watched Abducted, and yeah, just wow. I know it's easy to label the parents incredibly gullible and stupid for letting all that happen (and I'm not saying they weren't at times), but it's all so bizarre that a 90-min documentary probably doesn't really do justice to the finer details of the whole story. Could easily have been a Netflix series tbh.
  • Gunzberg 9 Feb 2019 21:09:06 2,719 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Quite enjoyed Velvet Buzzsaw, new Netflix film with Jake Gyllenhall
  • Youthist 9 Feb 2019 21:17:31 13,843 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah I didnít ďblameĒ the parents and itís imppssible to judge what the world was like in the 70s in this regard. Gullible for sure. But that guy was a master of the head fuck to be fair to him.
  • oldskooldeano 9 Feb 2019 22:52:25 2,954 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Gunzberg wrote:
    Quite enjoyed Velvet Buzzsaw, new Netflix film with Jake Gyllenhall
    Yup, I enjoyed this too. It felt quite fresh and unique although the story is a common horror idea.
  • Tomo 10 Feb 2019 14:20:37 16,673 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Finished You.

It's very silly. Very, very silly. Last episode was especially mad, but it was entertaining. 6 or 7/10 for the series. Could do worse.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 10 Feb 2019 22:40:10 10,783 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    That new Sam Cooke documentary is really good. Reclaiming his radicalism and showing just how it's as relevant now as it was then.

Scary to see those guys talking about touring states where they could be killed and thinking we little distance America has changed.
  • hedben2013 11 Feb 2019 11:55:53 1,135 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I started the first episode of Russian Doll last night intending to get a taster for it and see how it went. Ended up binge-watching the whole season (7 episodes at 30 mins each). Really really liked it.

I agree with others that it wasn't what I expected based on the first episode- I wasn't truly hooked until a cliffhanger at the end of episode 3. Can't imagine if I'd had to wait a week for the next episode though- the breakup into 30 minute chunks worked really well, but I'm glad they didn't drip-feed them out.
  • superdelphinus 11 Feb 2019 18:24:14 10,064 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    Fab4 wrote:
    superdelphinus wrote:
    I canít remember if it was on Netflix or amazon but ĎForeverí is quite good. It has the feeling of an extended black Mirror episode - that san Pasadena one or whatever it was called. Got the actress out of bridesmaids I think, and the other woman who was the main woman in the original podcast version of homecoming. The subtext isnít that original (itís about being bored and not fulfilling your life basically), but some funny bits and a compelling story.

You donít get reviews like that in the magazines.
    I enjoyed Forever too (It is on Amazon btw), and I usually hate Fred Armisen.
    I think Fred Armisen is great, which is conflicting as he's also apparently a bit of a sex pest. Anyway, Forever seems intriguing and definitely on my list.
    I had no idea who he was and I donít think Iíve seen anything with him in it before. I couldnít work out if he was an actual actor or not.
  • Kay 11 Feb 2019 22:21:47 20,087 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    superdelphinus wrote:
    Kay wrote:
    Fab4 wrote:
    superdelphinus wrote:
    I canít remember if it was on Netflix or amazon but ĎForeverí is quite good. It has the feeling of an extended black Mirror episode - that san Pasadena one or whatever it was called. Got the actress out of bridesmaids I think, and the other woman who was the main woman in the original podcast version of homecoming. The subtext isnít that original (itís about being bored and not fulfilling your life basically), but some funny bits and a compelling story.

You donít get reviews like that in the magazines.
    I enjoyed Forever too (It is on Amazon btw), and I usually hate Fred Armisen.
    I think Fred Armisen is great, which is conflicting as he's also apparently a bit of a sex pest. Anyway, Forever seems intriguing and definitely on my list.
    I had no idea who he was and I donít think Iíve seen anything with him in it before. I couldnít work out if he was an actual actor or not.
    He's more famous for SNL sketches, and stuff like Portlandia. I think he might have popped up in the odd movie as well.
  • ChiefGB 12 Feb 2019 00:08:35 11,053 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    From the little trailers and the thumbnail for sex education the girl looks like Margot Robbies twin too me (obviously not a bad thing)
  • alt-cmd-esc 12 Feb 2019 07:16:22 316 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @super_whiskey the scene with the shoal of fish was wtflol and the film itself was all a bit by the numbers and undercooked, I thought, plus had some questionable racial stereotyping 4/10 (as Iím feeling generous)
  • Blakester 12 Feb 2019 09:28:19 4,742 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Finished that Ted Bundy doc last night.

Ashamed to admit that I barely knew anything about him before watching this, so was obviously fascinated and mortified in equal measure. I do love a documentary that inspires you to do further reading afterwards.

I have no idea if anyone familiar with the case would get as much out if it as I did, but it did feel as though he was being glamorised a little by the filmmaker with a lot of the grislier details being left out bar a tiny reference in the final episode.

7/10
  • super_whiskey 12 Feb 2019 19:55:40 301 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @alt-cmd-esc I thought they were piranhas and was wondering why they weren't biting him!
  • yegon 12 Feb 2019 22:26:31 6,378 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Forever is decent, goes unexpected places. Avoid reading anything beyond the loosest outline if you choose to watch it mind.

Edited by yegon at 22:26:57 12-02-2019
  • Deleted user 13 February 2019 11:49:48
    Fargo. Season 2.

• HarryPalmer 13 Feb 2019 12:18:46 5,942 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Blakester You watched Mindhunter? David Fincher series about the genesis of FBI profiling of serial killers. I really enjoyed it, the book is decent too - but the constant, and repetitive, fuckedupness of serial killers gets a bit much.

Edited by HarryPalmer at 12:22:34 13-02-2019
  • HarryPalmer 13 Feb 2019 12:21:47 5,942 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm enjoying Trigger Warning, documentary series by Killer Mike from Run the Jewels. It's a bit silly but actually covers some very interesting points and he's a natural on camera.
  • Blakester 13 Feb 2019 12:25:14 4,742 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    HarryPalmer wrote:
    @Blakester You watched Mindhunter? David Fincher series about the genesis of FBI profiling of serial killers. I really enjoyed it, the book is decent too - but the constant, and repetitive, fuckedupness of serial killers gets a bit much.
    Yes! Really enjoyed that show (apart from the girlfriend who was annoying AF).

Has it been green-lit for a second season?
  • Blakester 13 Feb 2019 12:28:02 4,742 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Fab4 wrote:
    Is it me or is Nightflyers a bit rubbish?
    Two episodes in and.....yes, it's wank so far.

It spent no time setting up any characters or even the setting, so going event horizon straight off the bat means absolutely nothing. It's just one 'creepy' set piece after another which is really boring.
    I'm one and done with this. Life's just too short.
  • HarryPalmer 13 Feb 2019 12:33:02 5,942 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Blakester wrote:
    HarryPalmer wrote:
    Yes! Really enjoyed that show (apart from the girlfriend who was annoying AF).

Has it been green-lit for a second season?
    Yes, out sometime this year.
  • Deleted user 13 February 2019 12:38:17
    Homeland S7.
  • Deleted user 13 February 2019 12:39:21
    Eastenders S3 episode 274.
  • RawShark 13 Feb 2019 12:51:56 654 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Russian Doll really is excellent. To the point where I'd be surprised if I see a better series this year.

Groundhog Day is the obvious comparison, but it's actually got much more in common with Black Mirror. but if it help you watch it, imagine Groundhog Day but with Aunt Selma from the Simpsons instead of Bill Murray.

Also started watching Friends from College on a recommendation. One episode in - not bad so far. Not sure if I'll stick with it all the way through.

Edited by RawShark at 12:52:08 13-02-2019
  • Deleted user 13 February 2019 12:56:38
    Another dimension. I like that stuff. Maybe we like that stuff because (almost science) it is funny because its true.

Sorry, if you like Time loops, watch ARQ

8/10
  • BinaryBob101 13 Feb 2019 13:03:16 26,934 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    No. Don't. There are so many better time loop films out there.

Arq is pure Netflix D-grade crap. Alan Watts said it's impossible to waste time. Arq would disagree.

Triangle for a start is brill.

Edited by BinaryBob101 at 13:12:39 13-02-2019

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.