Netflix Recommendations Thread Page 210

• RyanDS 22 Feb 2019 21:21:22 12,641 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fuck fuck fuck. On flight was watching umbrella Academy on my laptop. Battery died twenty minutes into episode 10.

Yet to see the ending, but I think it genuinely may be my favourite show in ages. Every character is amazing and well acted. Plot is gripping and I could not tear myself away.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 22 Feb 2019 21:38:28 9,472 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Shit man, what timing.

Umbrella Academy is fantastic. I can't think of many superhero TVs shows that could compete. It does everything right for me.
  • RyanDS 22 Feb 2019 21:41:03 12,641 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I know people have complained of filler, but I am finding it so engrossing. I was expecting backstories to be left for later etc but everyone apart from one character has been fleshed out and explained wonderfully. The one actress I was going to complain about the acting also in hindsight makes perfect sense for playing the role that way.

Even if her arc is the one that was obvious from the start.
  • Mola_Ram 22 Feb 2019 21:55:33 19,361 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    With the last episode (spoilers), I thought it would be really cool if Vanya used her powers in time with a violin solo. Looks like the writers had similar thoughts. :p

I liked the show overall. I still think it dragged in places, and the plan of the main villain (Leonard) felt a bit iffy. But yeah, really good stuff, I'm looking forward to a second season.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 21:55:52 22-02-2019
  • Tuffty 23 Feb 2019 02:10:36 4,310 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    RichDC wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    I don't mind Dickon either.
    An that's who he is! Knew I'd seen him before. Got a couple of episodes to go and I've really enjoyed it so far.
    He was also in Black Sails.
    Makes me sad that his cameo in GoT is more widely recognised than his recurring role in Black Sails, in which he was very good as part of an excellent series.

It isnt on Netflix, rather Amazon Prime, so it might go against the spirit of the thread but fuck it watch Black Sails.
  • Dougs 23 Feb 2019 03:40:57 88,280 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Loved Black Sails. Great Pirating fun and thought he was great as Billy. I've watched the first episode of Umbrella Academy and enjoyed it muchly. Looking forward to getting stuck into it.
  • Mola_Ram 23 Feb 2019 04:04:09 19,361 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oooooh, he was Beefy McLargeHuge in Black Sails. Weird that I didn't recognise his face from that.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 23 Feb 2019 09:32:13 9,472 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I mainly thought he looked like a young hulked up Dermot O'Leary
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 1 Mar 2019 08:01:06 18,495 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The Ricky Gervais thing I've just been emailed about looks like it could be decent. Certainly better than the thing where he did the mong face.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 1 Mar 2019 08:06:28 9,472 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The swearing in the trailer is a bit gratuitous
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 1 Mar 2019 08:11:25 18,495 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Although I did like it when he called the plump child a cunt.
  • JYM60 4 Mar 2019 14:54:24 17,606 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Finished watching Sex Education at weekend. Was pretty decent, very weird how it is basically an American school in the UK. A fun watch though.

Any other recommendations? Started French show The Chalet, but first episode was pretty boring, and too many different timelines going on at once. Anyone watched it? Worth continuing?
  • wobbly_Bob 4 Mar 2019 15:13:18 4,879 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I started Umbrella Academy last night. I honestly thought I it wouldn't be for me but so far I really, really like it. Only 2 episodes in at the moment though so early days.
  • JamesUK 5 Mar 2019 01:09:21 779 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've been watching "Losers" over the past few nights. I'm 5 episodes in and it's pretty good. It's a well made, entertaining, eclectic sports doc series about athletes/teams that have failed in the big events and then looks at how they went on to find redemption. First episode is the boxer Michael Bentt, 2nd ep is Torquay United.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 7 Mar 2019 12:04:12 585 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Quite enjoyed Medal of Honour so far. Its a single series of 8 one hour episodes which are part documentary and part very high quality re-enactment of the events that led to a particular person getting a medal of Honour.

The waffly bits with the person's family can go on a bit and some of the "experts" can come across a bit "God Bless America", but it's been an enjoyable watch about the subject. As i say, the re-enactments are very good (though quite short).
  • RyanDS 7 Mar 2019 12:15:10 12,641 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Holy shit. I just watched abducted in plain sight. I know it is a tragic story but I could not stop giggling the whole way through. Probably the second weirdest show I have ever seen.

Tickled is still first though. And also on Netflix, so watch that.
  • Deleted user 7 March 2019 12:59:23
    Tickled is certainly...interesting.

Abducted in Plain Sight is good. It raised a few questions I'd have liked covered. Maybe a bit more about how he'd groomed the whole family. That seemed a bit lightweight, as if for example wanking your neighbour off is a normal and friendly thing to do, like if he asked you to help move a wardrobe. You didn't really want to do it but you went along with it anyway because it felt rude to refuse. Then he takes your daughter but you leave it for a while because the wife asks you to. Then you write a book about the whole thing and that's just fine.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 7 Mar 2019 13:38:20 18,495 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    This looks pretty good. It's on Cinemax but is coming to Netflix over here apparently.

• Mola_Ram 7 Mar 2019 13:59:16 19,361 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, that's the successor to Banshee I've been looking out for. Love my ultra-violence, me
  • Mola_Ram 7 Mar 2019 14:01:41 19,361 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    As for Tickled... I liked that it wasn't something I was expecting. But the thing it was, wasn't quite as interesting as what I was expecting.
  • BinaryBob101 7 Mar 2019 14:44:46 26,674 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Didn't get all the biglove for Th'Umbrella Academy until I got to episode seven with Ellen Page going all Dark Phoenix with a violin and rather well too.

Like The Haunting of Hill House it's a study of grief, trauma and conditioning, but rather than through the filter of horror, this time it's a superteam family with a Pogo. Not quite as effective dealing with its themes as Haunting and the first six eps were slow AF, but the final four almost made up for that. Seriously though, the first six? Virtually zero action at all. By episode five I was getting a bit twitchy for at least some action or a splosion or two and I love glacial paced character stuff normally.

Looking forward to a season two with less early filler bits and bobs, which probably won't happen at all, because Netflix.

@Mola_Ram - you can't be chucking round classic stuff like Banshee after a trailer like that man! :D Banshee wasn't just ultraviolence!

Edited by BinaryBob101 at 14:56:25 07-03-2019
  • Dougs 7 Mar 2019 20:10:13 88,280 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Yeah, that's the successor to Banshee I've been looking out for. Love my ultra-violence, me
    As soon as I saw Cinemax, I was hoping someone would say that! Loved Banshee.
  • kentmonkey 8 Mar 2019 10:48:40 22,880 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Can someone explain to me the ending of Russian Doll (obviously with spoilers blocked for everyone else)?

I enjoyed it, but the last episode just felt like it didn't explain anything. However I was in a delayed train that South Eastern were completely, and continually, fucking up all communication about and I was distracted by the constant (this is/isn't the train going to X, you're going/not going to have to change at y, and board on platform 11... No 13.... No 11, definitely 11.... Actually 13) announcements and fear that I've overlooked something in my distraction.
  • Dougs 8 Mar 2019 12:53:47 88,280 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    https://www.vulture.com/2019/02/russian-doll-netflix-ending-explained.html

Tldr: They begin to exist in different time lines and learn to fix their problems by understanding each other. Their timeliness converge at the end of the final episode as a result
  • billythekid 8 Mar 2019 13:09:33 12,321 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    After Life the new Ricky Gervais show is out now, I shall be having a watch of this later I think.
  • nickthegun 8 Mar 2019 13:15:04 76,792 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dougs wrote:

Tldr: They begin to exist in different time lines and learn to fix their problems by understanding each other. Their timeliness converge at the end of the final episode as a result
    I thought the bit where it converged and they walked past each other was amazing. An absolutely superb bit of direction.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 8 Mar 2019 13:18:54 18,495 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Dougs wrote:

I thought the bit where it converged and they walked past each other was amazing. An absolutely superb bit of direction.
    Yeah it was great. Was a stroke of genius having the day of the dead parade going on.
  • kentmonkey 8 Mar 2019 13:56:33 22,880 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I missed most of this, I feel, by not paying full attention during the last 10 mins. I thought I'd given it enough but clearly more distracted than I thought I was.

Thanks
  • Syrette 8 Mar 2019 14:26:28 50,106 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Excited to start the new F1 series.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.