Netflix Recommendations Thread Page 216

• captain-Snufkin 8 Apr 2019 18:42:51 829 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    The Ritual I quite liked. Though I don't find horror films that scary and I was rooting for the evil in this as usual.
  • TechnoHippy 9 Apr 2019 10:53:58 14,768 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    captain-Snufkin wrote:
    The Ritual I quite liked. Though I don't find horror films that scary and I was rooting for the evil in this as usual.
    I wasn't greatly impressed by it, although it did have a few good moments. The creature showed some imagination though.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 9 Apr 2019 12:12:46 9,655 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Bichii wrote:
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    New Sabrina!
    This!!! Love part one. Got three in yesterday. :)
    THEO!

:D

Hell yes
  • wuntyphyve 9 Apr 2019 12:20:40 11,930 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    captain-Snufkin wrote:
    I wasn't greatly impressed by it, although it did have a few good moments. The creature showed some imagination though.
    I thought the book was far superior but they did actually do a fairly decent job of the film. The whole second half is distilled right down though and loses what makes the book so great. Also the whole friend dying / vision thing was made up for the film and I didn't particularly think those parts made much sense.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 9 Apr 2019 12:23:25 19,022 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I thought the Ritual was pretty good. Nothing amazing but decent enough.
  • TechnoHippy 9 Apr 2019 12:23:37 14,768 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    wuntyphyve wrote:
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    captain-Snufkin wrote:
    I thought the book was far superior but they did actually do a fairly decent job of the film. The whole second half is distilled right down though and loses what makes the book so great. Also the whole friend dying / vision thing was made up for the film and I didn't particularly think those parts made much sense.
    I've not read the book - will have to check it out.

Agreed on the visions in that they didn't really add anything.
  • wuntyphyve 9 Apr 2019 12:25:46 11,930 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @TechnoHippy It's really decent and pretty grim, he puts those guys through hell. In fact I've taken quite a liking to Nevill's stuff since I read it and rate him quite highly as a horror author.
  • captain-Snufkin 9 Apr 2019 18:38:10 829 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    wuntyphyve wrote:
    Also the whole friend dying / vision thing was made up for the film and I didn't particularly think those parts made much sense.
    I think they lifted that straight from The Descent, a much better horror film. I thought it worked alright.
  • askew 9 Apr 2019 20:08:26 18,806 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I just watched The Descent 2. Quite the waste of time.
  • Bambot 10 Apr 2019 09:46:51 1,334 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I can't decide if The OA seasons 1 and 2 are unmitigated student-level pretentious shite, or if it pushes through into 'so uniqely bonkers it carries it off'. I definitely almost set up camp in the former for most of the first season even though I managed to finish it out of curiosity, but the second season manages to hang together a bit better, despite the psychic squid.

Edited by Bambot at 09:48:02 10-04-2019
  • glo 10 Apr 2019 10:16:56 3,602 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Bambot - Just finished watching OA S2 last night. I think that it is both pretentious shite and uniquely bonkers that it carries it off (to a degree). It definitely has issues but was quite watchable and kept me entertained throughout (which is not often the case). Will certainly be up for giving S3 a go (assuming they make one).

Wasn't it a psychic octopus?
  • nickthegun 10 Apr 2019 10:22:20 77,113 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think its great. I liked how they went completely balls out from the beginning in S2 and fully committed to being mental, to the point that it makes S1 look like midsomer murders.

Its why I love netflix. You arent going to get that made anywhere else.
  • sunjumper 10 Apr 2019 10:39:19 3,495 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Bambot
    In my mind it manages to be somehow both.
    The first season of the OA is one of the worst written, shoddy paced, plotholed riddled disasters I have ever seen. It wasn't even so bad it was good as it was often boring, changing tracks in the most tedious ways and adding 'plot-twists' at moments where one couldn't help but wonder if one of the authors didn't just wake out of a fevered 'stream of consciousness' writing only to hastily and without any thought adding some 'drama'. (e.g. the books under the bed)

However I did suffer through the entire first season to see where it all would end.
    It ended in tears and fire and confusion of course.
    What made me watch the entire show was how different it was from pretty much everything else. It has great ideas and concepts, bringing things together in a blend I have not seen before. It is utter rubbish but absolutely fascinating. I’d love to see a show or film that covered similar ideas with competent writers at the helm.

Season two, which I have not finished yet is much better, because it goes all out crazy which was the only strength the first show had. Also the writing itself has improved slightly, coupled with a plot that doesn’t need consistent logic to work it is now at least for me so bad its good at last. And I really enjoy the incredibly crazy ideas despite how the story still makes little sense and the message of the whole thing is often questionable at the very least.

The OA manages to be 2/10 and 9/10 at the same time , but with its feet firmly planted in the 2/10 part.
  • Armoured_Bear 10 Apr 2019 10:52:58 26,239 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Afterlife

Very mixed feelings on this, touching, funny in places and some good acting performances and charming characters but ultimately contrived and it's basically Gervais playing himself and doing his Atheist rants/people are cunts shtick and "I love the animals, they're better than people" routine.

I also didn't understand his reaction to the death of the drug addict, overall a bit meh but was enjoyable .

I did find Kath extremely endearing :)
  • Armoured_Bear 10 Apr 2019 10:53:40 26,239 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Autoplay on the App is doing my fucking head in, more likely to make me turn the fucking thing off than watch more.
  • wobbly_Bob 10 Apr 2019 13:17:21 5,008 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    The Autoplay on the App is doing my fucking head in, more likely to make me turn the fucking thing off than watch more.
    The auto play is annoying. It's really annoying too that even on the ps4 app it auto plays a trailer for everything. I really hate it. There should be an option to turn that off.
  • Slint1000 10 Apr 2019 13:33:57 3,196 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You can switch the auto play off if you go to the web version of the Netflix settings. It should fix it for any platform you log into. Worked a treat for me.

Edited by Slint1000 at 13:53:20 10-04-2019
  • wobbly_Bob 10 Apr 2019 13:41:55 5,008 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Slint1000 wrote:
    You can switch the auto play off if you got the web version of the Netflix settings. It should fix it for any platform you log into. Worked a treat for me.
    OK! Didn't know that. I'll try it. Thanks!
  • Armoured_Bear 10 Apr 2019 14:36:42 26,239 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Slint1000 wrote:
    You can switch the auto play off if you go to the web version of the Netflix settings. It should fix it for any platform you log into. Worked a treat for me.
    Awesome, thank you!!!!
  • GuybrushFreepwood 10 Apr 2019 23:06:01 654 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    Lucifer season 4 is confirmed for May 8th on Netflix.
  • Mortey 11 Apr 2019 08:44:05 39 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    GuybrushFreepwood wrote:
    So pleased they picked this up.
  • ChiefGB 11 Apr 2019 09:32:19 10,292 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This chambers thing may be worth a look
    https://youtu.be/w2DpPN_7IbE
  • BinaryBob101 11 Apr 2019 10:47:41 26,726 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah that looks bloody great.

Good to see Uma back too.
  • BinaryBob101 11 Apr 2019 10:47:41 26,726 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Dougs 11 Apr 2019 10:52:38 88,529 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Interest piqued!
  • Fab4 11 Apr 2019 12:49:54 8,802 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Looks like Netflix has its own 'Walking Dead' now...Black Summer.

• Jono62 11 Apr 2019 13:03:23 21,973 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    GuybrushFreepwood wrote:
    Great. I sacked off season 3 as I couldn't be bothered knowing it was axed, so i'll watch it now.
  • Bichii 11 Apr 2019 13:25:31 1,439 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The silence.

I watched it so you don't have to.

I can't remember the last even okay Netflix film I've seen.

1/10
  • GuybrushFreepwood 11 Apr 2019 13:26:35 654 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    Jono62 wrote:
    GuybrushFreepwood wrote:
    Great. I sacked off season 3 as I couldn't be bothered knowing it was axed, so i'll watch it now.
    Ending of Season 3 is good. I'm going to watch the last couple again as its been a while.
  • BinaryBob101 11 Apr 2019 13:43:34 26,726 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Bichii There's been loads of good films on flix recently.

That one with Woody and Ken was good. Bonnie and Clyde bang bang.

Annihilation was superb.

That other one that was pretty good too... The horror up there has a great foreboding atmosphere. Ouija - The Origin is pretty good. Like a test run for The Haunting of Hill House by the same writer/director with many of the same actors being traumatised yet again. Like an alt universe prequel almost, but absolutely not that at all!

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.