Netflix Recommendations Thread Page 217

• SonShine 11 Apr 2019 14:02:50 20 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 weeks ago
    Fab4 wrote:
    Looks like Netflix has its own 'Walking Dead' now...Black Summer.

I don't want to jinx it but the first episode is surprisingly unshit.
  • millerlfc 11 Apr 2019 17:07:12 598 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Well actually Z Nation is Netflix's equivalent to Walking Dead. First four series are already on UK Netflix, the fifth (and final) series probably a year away.

Black Summer is actually a spin-off from Z Nation, or technically a prequel as it's set shortly after the zombie apocalypse while Z Nation is set years later. You probably don't need to watch Z Nation first though as it's a different group of characters, although it might feature some events referenced in Z Nation.
  • Syrette 11 Apr 2019 17:15:40 50,151 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    That one with Woody and Ken was good. Bonnie and Clyde bang bang.
    Not the be all and end all, but I thought that didn't review too well?
  • Mr_Sleep 11 Apr 2019 19:42:00 22,405 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @millerlfc is Z Nation actually any good?
  • ChiefGB 11 Apr 2019 20:03:29 10,292 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I watched the first few, a few years ago. Seemed like a low rent walking dead.
  • millerlfc 11 Apr 2019 22:50:03 598 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    @millerlfc is Z Nation actually any good?
    I like it, but worth noting it's quite different to Walking Dead. While it does have some grim moments Z Nation is generally much more light-hearted, with dark humour and some occasional goofiness (usually involving comedic kils) and bizarre ideas.

And while there are larger plot-arcs the episodes tend to be quite self-contained, and with their own themes.

I haven't watched Black Summer yet, but based on that trailer it looks like they've gone for a standard serious/grim zombie show with the spin-off.
  • Mola_Ram 12 Apr 2019 00:53:24 19,519 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Z Nation was at its best when it realised that it wasn't The Walking Dead. Sometimes it takes a little while for a show to figure out what it wants to be, and when Z Nation did figure that out, it was glorious. I probably enjoyed it more than TWD overall.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 12 Apr 2019 06:54:51 9,655 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Has anyone played that Bear Grylls murder simulator yet?
  • GuybrushFreepwood 12 Apr 2019 07:00:32 654 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    @simpleexplodingmaybe I tried last night but my tv wonít do it. Looked fun though from the trailer.
  • Armoured_Bear 12 Apr 2019 11:26:52 26,239 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Slint1000 wrote:
    You can switch the auto play off if you go to the web version of the Netflix settings. It should fix it for any platform you log into. Worked a treat for me.
    Where is it?
    I can only find the option for outplaying of the next episode.
  • Mr_Sleep 12 Apr 2019 13:39:35 22,405 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Z Nation sounds interesting. I guess I am a little bit bored of the zombie genre but if it approaches it in a different way then it might be worth a look.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 12 Apr 2019 13:41:08 9,655 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    @Bichii There's been loads of good films on flix recently.

Annihilation was superb.

That other one that was pretty good too... The horror up there has a great foreboding atmosphere. Ouija - The Origin is pretty good. Like a test run for The Haunting of Hill House by the same writer/director with many of the same actors being traumatised yet again. Like an alt universe prequel almost, but absolutely not that at all!
    Probably telling that all the best ones are ones which were made by someone else and Netflix bought the distribution for rather than inhouse productions or commissions
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 12 Apr 2019 22:25:07 9,655 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I know it's been up for ages now but we've started watching Love. It's basically the Woody Allen ugly nerdy man bones 10/10 hotties and is sad about it plot with an instagram filter over it.
  • Bichii 13 Apr 2019 01:15:50 1,439 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The for honour documentary is very interesting. Recommended
  • freddymercurystwin 13 Apr 2019 02:47:17 1,608 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Tried Z Nation this evening, lasted about half an hour, utter shite!
  • JonFE 13 Apr 2019 09:01:13 1,903 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    Not the be all and end all, but I thought that didn't review too well?
    Well, I watched it last night and enjoyed it; I think it's Kevin's first decent film in ages, which probably doesn't say much tbh :)
  • Tomo 13 Apr 2019 09:15:38 16,471 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    I know it's been up for ages now but we've started watching Love. It's basically the Woody Allen ugly nerdy man bones 10/10 hotties and is sad about it plot with an instagram filter over it.
    First series of this was excellent. 2nd is pretty good. Starts to struggle by series 3.
  • minky-kong 13 Apr 2019 09:22:51 14,147 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    This is exactly what put me off two episodes in. Having that Cedric Sneer looking motherfucker be offered a threesome ruined any sort of credibility.
  • HoriZon 13 Apr 2019 23:52:18 14,211 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Black Summer is not a prequel to Z Nation it comes from the same people but they are not connected.

As for Z Nation been a Netflix show thatís wrong to they just aired it here.
  • The-Bodybuilder 14 Apr 2019 16:57:21 17,580 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Watched Black Summer. I hope it sticks to being an anthology, because though it has all the entertainment value that all Zombie shows do, it would inevitably suffer the same fate they all do if they try and follow the same group over the show. Would prefer each season being a self-contained arc, whereby it can focus on what this season essentially focused on; did away with character development, treat everyone almost as fodder (but with more interest), but most of all, focused on different setpieces, they likes of which tend to be the best bits of most zombie shows.

Because to do anything else would be to confine it to all zombie shows.

Last episode was full of great setpieces, hampered by budget restraints.
  • General_Martok 14 Apr 2019 18:03:07 529 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Just finished watching Delhi Crime, it tells the story of a gang rape in Delhi and how the attackers were caught.

It's a little gruesome to be honest but compelling.
  • Syrette 14 Apr 2019 18:45:22 50,151 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Only thing I have against Our Planet is that I'm constantly wishing I was watching it on a 4K TV.
  • Technoishmatt 14 Apr 2019 19:03:31 3,238 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Syrette I can attest that if looks great in 4k...
  • HairyArse 14 Apr 2019 21:00:55 1,228 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Really enjoyed that F1 documentary series but the Mercedes and Ferraris were very conspicuous by their absense. Was also very weird but good hearing the drivers swear so much. Just goes to show how much of a watered down production Sky broadcasts.

Edited by HairyArse at 21:22:17 14-04-2019
  • wobbly_Bob 14 Apr 2019 21:53:12 5,008 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    Watched Black Summer. I hope it sticks to being an anthology, because though it has all the entertainment value that all Zombie shows do, it would inevitably suffer the same fate they all do if they try and follow the same group over the show. Would prefer each season being a self-contained arc, whereby it can focus on what this season essentially focused on; did away with character development, treat everyone almost as fodder (but with more interest), but most of all, focused on different setpieces, they likes of which tend to be the best bits of most zombie shows.

Because to do anything else would be to confine it to all zombie shows.

Last episode was full of great setpieces, hampered by budget restraints.
    If it's an anthology that actually might interest me. I am pretty tired of the whole zombie thing though.
  • Flying_Pig 14 Apr 2019 22:29:41 16,095 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    HairyArse wrote:
    Really enjoyed that F1 documentary series but the Mercedes and Ferraris were very conspicuous by their absense. Was also very weird but good hearing the drivers swear so much. Just goes to show how much of a watered down production Sky broadcasts.
    Yep - Christian Horner was dropping F-bombs all over the place :)

It was good to get a bit more insight into some of the smaller teams. I hope they do another series based on the current season.
  • Kay 14 Apr 2019 22:38:12 19,958 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    wobbly_Bob wrote:
    Slint1000 wrote:
    You can switch the auto play off if you got the web version of the Netflix settings. It should fix it for any platform you log into. Worked a treat for me.
    OK! Didn't know that. I'll try it. Thanks!
    How do I do this? I've found an option to turn off autoplaying for the next episode in a TV show, but not for trailers on the home screen.
  • Armoured_Bear 14 Apr 2019 22:43:22 26,239 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    wobbly_Bob wrote:
    Slint1000 wrote:
    You can switch the auto play off if you got the web version of the Netflix settings. It should fix it for any platform you log into. Worked a treat for me.
    OK! Didn't know that. I'll try it. Thanks!
    How do I do this? I've found an option to turn off autoplaying for the next episode in a TV show, but not for trailers on the home screen.
    My experience as well.
  • ChiefGB 14 Apr 2019 23:41:50 10,292 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bichii wrote:
    The for honour documentary is very interesting. Recommended
    Is it more interesting than the game?
  • arty 14 Apr 2019 23:49:27 513 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Bichii yeah it was interesting, but I ended up hating all the managers, I'm very biased though.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.