Netflix Recommendations Thread Page 235

• nickthegun 6 Aug 2019 08:53:15 79,422 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    My MO for now is to see if it's been cancelled before I commit to watch it.

I quite fancied watching that Ghost Wars, but it had already been canned by the network when the first series plopped out onto Netflix.
  • nickthegun 6 Aug 2019 08:54:15 79,422 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Or you watch something that clearly should have been one and done but it ends on a cliffhanger.
  • ChiefGB 6 Aug 2019 09:17:48 11,715 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    It takes me years to watch most things. See my comments re: S2 of the Expanse. 2 years until I tried Dark. Godless has been on my watch list for years I think, now?

This model of TV production was meant to free us from schedules, but we're still slaves to it, because if we don't watch it promptly it'll be cancelled :p
    Hell yeah.
    This is me, Iíve stacks of things in my list Iíll probably never get to but would like to (the OA, godless, the expanse also and sooo many more) then I hear some have been cancelled before Iíve even watched.

Maybe Netflixís new problem is they are creating too much too quickly for everyone. They should be able to understand we canít consume it all day,week or sometimes even year one. Then again with so many binge nutters about maybe us procrastinators are the minority.
    I canít watch too much tv at once as I just get restless anyway.
    Games work better for me because they keep me fully engaged (most of the time)
  • millerlfc 6 Aug 2019 10:21:48 620 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Although Netflix aren't actually creating most of their shows, the 'Netflix Original' tag just means they have the broadcast rights outside the USA. A lot of them are produced for american tv channels and get cancelled by them i.e. Nightflyers was created by the SyFy channel (which is why it was so poor) and cancelled by them because it performed poorly on american TV.

Not many actual Netflix shows get prematurely cancelled - although the various Marvel shows are an exception (and their cancellation was due to Disney).
  • Deleted user 6 August 2019 11:49:59
    I think Netflix being a subscription based format shouldn't be focusing so heavily on data. They should be producing the mainstream fodder like Stranger Things and levying that against more cerebral stuff that obviously has an audience if a little more niche.

Film studios have had this for years whereby they'll let actors have their passion projects if they sign on for Billy Big balls blockbusters. You should aim for depth as well as flash. They have all the Adam Sandler anyone could possibly want, let us have our weirdness.

As Nick says I will now be much more cagey about what I consume because I kind of feel like my time was wasted here.

Edited by adamasunder12 at 11:58:10 06-08-2019
  • spindle9988 6 Aug 2019 21:13:27 5,013 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The traliler for mind hunters series 2 didn't have the annoying girlfriend from the 1st, so hopefully she isn't in it all.

Watch the 1st season if you haven't already, great TV.
  • Deleted user 6 August 2019 21:25:39
    nickthegun wrote:
    My MO for now is to see if it's been cancelled before I commit to watch it.

I quite fancied watching that Ghost Wars, but it had already been canned by the network when the first series plopped out onto Netflix.
    This. I was all set to watch swamp thing until I discovered it was cancelled already.
  • theone1 6 Aug 2019 22:22:13 49 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I thought the OA was awful, surprised it got a 2nd season, not surprised it's now been cancelled
  • Deleted user 7 August 2019 04:48:28
    spindle9988 wrote:
    The traliler for mind hunters series 2 didn't have the annoying girlfriend from the 1st, so hopefully she isn't in it all.

Watch the 1st season if you haven't already, great TV.
    Watched it again recently in preparation. Hoping this doesn't go the way of OA before it resolved as it's probably my favourite thing Netflix have produced.
  • RedPanda87 7 Aug 2019 08:02:23 1,967 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @millerlfc I'm sure I read something recently about Netflix changing its model to be more willing to kill things after two or three seasons once audiences start to drop off, even if they're not complete failures, as commissioning new stuff is cheaper and/or lower risk than continuing with a declining audience.

I can't remember the specifics but I think that was the gist. So I'm not sure that's going to hold up.
  • Poorandugly 7 Aug 2019 08:14:32 605 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Just finished season 2 of Dark. Agree with most of the criricism of the show from the previous page, but I bloody love it! So well written.

Can't wait for season 3, which is supposed to be the final one.
  • The_Goon 7 Aug 2019 08:36:44 1,424 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Iím quite enjoying Timeless. Fairly typical time travel show - bit like a mix between Sliders (appreciate itís not strictly a time travel show) and Quantum Leap without the charm. Only two seasons long so not much time needed to watch.
  • drhickman1983 7 Aug 2019 09:02:41 6,167 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've actually enjoyed *reading about* Dark. Reading through the character storylines and how they intersect is actually fun once it's unshackled from the heavy-handed atmosphere.

When season 3 is out I look forward to reading through the explanations and synopsis and timelines of events. I'll just skip the actual watching part. It's win-win :D
  • Mola_Ram 7 Aug 2019 09:09:29 21,854 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You could just read a book or something
  • drhickman1983 7 Aug 2019 09:12:37 6,167 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I could, but I do like the underlying structure and fantasy of the show.

Wouldn't be the first show I've read about without watching much...
  • nickthegun 7 Aug 2019 09:13:19 79,422 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    RedPanda87 wrote:
    @millerlfc I'm sure I read something recently about Netflix changing its model to be more willing to kill things after two or three seasons once audiences start to drop off, even if they're not complete failures, as commissioning new stuff is cheaper and/or lower risk than continuing with a declining audience.

I can't remember the specifics but I think that was the gist. So I'm not sure that's going to hold up.
    You would think it would be counterproductive in the long run. I'm far less likely now to give something new a shot because you very rarely get a chance to finish the story.

Im not the best example of anything, but I can see people getting tired of things like Another Life getting jizzed out with 'Im cancelled' written all over it when you could finish off an OA.
  • drhickman1983 7 Aug 2019 09:16:09 6,167 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    People will get tired of it in the long-run, but short term figures will be amazing.

And if you cancel shows early it won't give the fanbase time to turn against it :p
  • Mola_Ram 7 Aug 2019 09:18:14 21,854 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    I could, but I do like the underlying structure and fantasy of the show.

Wouldn't be the first show I've read about without watching much...
    I mean, I get that. I read reviews and synopses of Walking Dead episodes for a while, after actually watching the thing became too much of a chore (though I don't even do that anymore).

But the "atmosphere" of Dark is half the point and appeal of the show, at least for me. Yes it's pretty grim, but it's not something you can get from reading a synopsis.

I guess it's a similar thing to me and TWD, where you're interested in what happens but don't care much about how it gets there. But I think you're losing a lot more in this case.
  • drhickman1983 7 Aug 2019 09:24:53 6,167 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think your underestimating how insufferable I found the atmosphere. Still trying to work out why, I don't mind dark or pensive stuff at all.

I think it might be because I find it very heavy-handed in its execution. It's not very subtle.
  • RedPanda87 7 Aug 2019 09:44:00 1,967 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    RedPanda87 wrote:

You would think it would be counterproductive in the long run. I'm far less likely now to give something new a shot because you very rarely get a chance to finish the story.

Im not the best example of anything, but I can see people getting tired of things like Another Life getting jizzed out with 'Im cancelled' written all over it when you could finish off an OA.
    Yeah agreed somewhat, though I do think a lot of shows run on too long as well. I think this approach could work if Netflix is up front about it and/or gives a season warning that they're getting cancelled, so shows can plan for it and have a proper ending. Which of course isn't always happening so far, but if it does start becoming the standard it might do.
  • Nazo 7 Aug 2019 11:27:40 1,112 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't get the 'time wasted' argument. If a show is enjoyable to watch then surely that remains true whether they finish it or not? It's disappointing if things are left hanging but it doesn't negate the journey up to that point.

Some things (BSG) would have been better left unfinished as the ending just shows the writers had no clue where to take things beyond a certain point.
  • nickthegun 7 Aug 2019 11:35:41 79,422 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It does, for me. I don't tend to watch things that run on and on and on, like TWD, NCIS, Law and Order or whatever, I like things that are self contained and have closure.

I would rather have a bad ending than no ending.
  • Baihu1983 8 Aug 2019 13:43:11 11,785 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just signed Benioff/Weiss to a massive deal to make movies for them.
  • Dougs 8 Aug 2019 14:37:53 91,262 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    It does, for me. I don't tend to watch things that run on and on and on, like TWD, NCIS, Law and Order or whatever, I like things that are self contained and have closure.

I would rather have a bad ending than no ending.
    Finding those with a clearly defined story arc is tough though. Plots tend to be stretched once the show becomes popular and they run out of steam. There have been quite a few that have ended that I have binned, even having been previously invested in the characters.
  • ChiefGB 8 Aug 2019 16:02:33 11,715 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So, wu assassins, anyone familiar with it?.
    Ninja hotties from the looks of the trailer.
    /adds to list

Then sees splash screen has more men than women on it 🤔 hoodwinked much?

Also itís probably shit but please see line two.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 8 Aug 2019 16:12:10 21,734 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It only came out today. I've seen it described as "A Big Trouble in Little China fan film produced by Tommy Wiseau". The used that as a positive though.
  • elstoof 8 Aug 2019 16:41:01 24,519 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Watching it now, the fella from the Raid doing stuff from the Raid but in San Francisco. Seems ok, exactly how youíd expect
  • elstoof 8 Aug 2019 17:07:31 24,519 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I like it when he gets told repeatedly that ďthe monk piece is in youĒ
  • magicpanda 8 Aug 2019 19:39:57 14,926 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It's ridiculous. I love it.

The chopping board scene in ep 2 :D

Edited by magicpanda at 19:44:20 08-08-2019
  • ChiefGB 8 Aug 2019 20:59:27 11,715 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Guess itís staying on the list then, just one more pertinent question......

Tits? 😬

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.