Following Netflix Recommendations Thread Page 277

• Decks Best Forumite, 2016 13 Jul 2020 13:41:16 26,303 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah I've watched a few of them, its cock and balls out crazy. Love the art work too.
  • Mola_Ram 13 Jul 2020 13:45:35 24,349 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I love the opening sequence and its music. It's one of the few shows where I don't skip the opening.
  • ghearoid 14 Jul 2020 16:47:20 3,616 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Much Mucho Amor: the legend of Walter Mercado.

I used to see him on telemundo years ago when I'd watch with my sister but never understood whether he was male or female, young or old. Such an enigma.

This documentary covers his life and career and it's obviously campy and fun, but also dark in places and ultimately quite moving.

Highly recommended!
  • oldskooldeano 16 Jul 2020 13:49:16 3,123 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Can anyone tell me an easy way to know which shows are leaving Netflix in the UK? I understand in the US you can see this in your list. A google can surface an article from some obscure web site, but can I not see in the app itself? On mobile, desktop or app? I've missed so many shows on my list because of this and I just can't understand why this isn't something upfront and available to all.
  • FoxMoody 16 Jul 2020 15:28:52 67 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Midnight Gospel is EU Netflix is a hidden gem.
    I was drawn to it by animation (same studio that made Adventure time) and got hooked by the premise of the show.
    I suggest you go into in not knowing much as did I.
  • Nazo 16 Jul 2020 15:37:39 1,442 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    oldskooldeano wrote:
    Can anyone tell me an easy way to know which shows are leaving Netflix in the UK? I understand in the US you can see this in your list. A google can surface an article from some obscure web site, but can I not see in the app itself? On mobile, desktop or app? I've missed so many shows on my list because of this and I just can't understand why this isn't something upfront and available to all.
    I have seen leaving dates for things on my list before but not for a while. Maybe they stopped it for some reason?
  • Beetroot_Bertie 16 Jul 2020 15:58:03 515 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @oldskooldeano This details shows leaving the service. I have to admit I've not used it much but they have a twitter, facebook and RSS feed so maybe that might be enough to keep you up to speed.

Leaving soon thingies
  • Jono62 16 Jul 2020 16:08:52 25,541 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    There's also this one

https://uk.newonnetflix.info/lastchance
  • Pipedream 16 Jul 2020 16:26:28 556 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Any anime recommendations?

Not fussed on the genre as long as it's good.
  • Vortex808 16 Jul 2020 16:28:18 13,985 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Our lad was watching one punch man and liked it.

Ymmv. 😃
  • oldskooldeano 16 Jul 2020 17:59:56 3,123 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Jono62 wrote:
    There's also this one

https://uk.newonnetflix.info/lastchance
    This one seems good. Simple and comprehensive. A short window ahead though.
    Why they can't do this in app clearly is beyond me.
  • Dougs 16 Jul 2020 19:03:07 95,318 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    They can I guess, but choose not to highlight it
  • nickthegun 20 Jul 2020 21:42:52 82,878 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    “Cursed... woop... another fruity chosen girl teen drama..”

Executive Producer: Frank Miller

“Wut?”

Adapted from the novel by Frank Miller

“Wut?”

So, yeah. Frank Miller watched Merlin and thought “What if Merlin but a girl and everyone explodes in a shower of blood when they die?”. It’s so lame.
  • chopsen 20 Jul 2020 21:47:21 21,183 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Snowpiercer has the stupidest premise for a story ever. I'm amazed this got made. Twice.
  • cjb_bjc 20 Jul 2020 21:54:48 2,139 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's super common to take a popular Asian hit and try and Americafy it. The result is usually shit.
  • anephric 20 Jul 2020 22:23:27 4,330 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Snowpiercer isn't any more stupid as a SF social parable than any other similar sort of thing, unless you're a railway track maintenance engineer.

In which case it's stupid, the Snowpiercer would derail the first year in after the track fell to bits.
  • chopsen 20 Jul 2020 22:52:04 21,183 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Why do the even need to be on a moving train anyway?
  • Dougs 21 Jul 2020 06:56:54 95,318 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @nickthegun once again, I thank you for your service nick. Saving EGers hours
  • Graxlar_v3 21 Jul 2020 07:55:16 10,443 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:

So, yeah. Frank Miller watched Merlin and thought “What if Merlin but a girl and everyone explodes in a shower of blood when they die?”.
    Surely we could watch more movies/shows and think what if the lead was a girl and everyone explodes in a shower of blood when they die.

I want that die hard remake!
  • FoxMoody 21 Jul 2020 09:01:55 67 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:

Please no. That can't be done without staining the whole series.
    I've barely survived A Good Day to Die Hard...
    Action movies that had their run and nearly destroyed their legacy with horribad sequels are Die Hard and Leather Weapon. Just leave them in peace.

Not everyone can get Mad Max revival.
  • nickthegun 21 Jul 2020 09:21:54 82,878 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    @nickthegun once again, I thank you for your service nick. Saving EGers hours
    I mean, again, it falls into the same pit as Warrior Nun. Its shiny, bright, overly earnest melodrama that is as dumb as a bag of cabinet ministers.

Like most of them, it suffers from the age old problem of young people being written by old people and in this case, the old person is actually insane.

Also: How many fucking kids has stellan skarsgard had?
  • drhickman1983 21 Jul 2020 09:57:36 6,992 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    chopsen wrote:
    In the original source, which was a French graphic novel, the train wasn't designed as an ark, it was meant as a self sufficient long term cruise that just happened to exist as a viable way to survive.

It's still a bit of a shaky reasoning but it's almost makes sense. But then the show doesn't really mention this, and the film did the same I think.
  • johnnyrocketfingers 21 Jul 2020 14:38:20 304 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:

So, yeah. Frank Miller watched Merlin and thought “What if Merlin but a girl and everyone explodes in a shower of blood when they die?”.
    Surely we could watch more movies/shows and think what if the lead was a girl and everyone explodes in a shower of blood when they die.

Idk, Merlin is still a guy. Nimue is still a girl. Arthur is still a guy(but a light skinned black guy)

It's a lot of the same pieces but arranged in such a way. Idk if it's spoilers but as I just finished it; The first season has so far gives a unique origin story how Nimue becomes 'Lady of the Lake'
  • chopsen 21 Jul 2020 15:17:21 21,183 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    chopsen wrote:
    In the original source, which was a French graphic novel, the train wasn't designed as an ark, it was meant as a self sufficient long term cruise that just happened to exist as a viable way to survive.

It's still a bit of a shaky reasoning but it's almost makes sense. But then the show doesn't really mention this, and the film did the same I think.
    Yeah, the intro to the series makes it out that it was *specifically* designed to survive the freezing.

And that still doesn't explain why it needs to be on a *moving* train, which introduces a whole additional level of unnecessary difficulty, peril and incredulity.

I mean, i know all sci-fi is if you look at it hard enough a load of nonsense, but this one seem *especially* daft.
  • wuntyate 21 Jul 2020 15:17:22 15,215 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm late to the party with this I'm sure but I'm 4 eps into Kingdom and I'm loving it. Hopefully it keeps the quality going for the remainder. Surprisingly funny as well.
  • Phattso 21 Jul 2020 15:28:25 25,705 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I always imagined that the bullshit technical justification for Snowpiercer was a sort of perpetual engine. It needs motion to make the power to run the systems on the train (heat, for example) or some shit. Therefore to slow is to falter, to stop is DEEEAAAAATH.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 21 Jul 2020 15:32:16 26,303 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    You ever run really fast and you get all hot? Same thing here.
  • drhickman1983 21 Jul 2020 17:30:19 6,992 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, I believe the perpetual motion engine needs to keep moving otherwise it'll fail. It's dumb but I can go along with it.
  • gammonbanter 21 Jul 2020 19:43:14 2,002 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Space Force.... despite it not being that funny I think it has a ton of heart! It feels like it doesn't know what it wants to be , could be satire but you get the feeling the writers / producers believe in space exploration (like most of its viewers I bet). I dunno, it's easy watching though and the cast is great.
  • Anthony_UK 21 Jul 2020 20:53:41 3,034 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Cursed

Less of a recommendation and more of an avoid like the plague.

I can usually watch any old shite, but I only just made it through the first episode, just woeful.

Imagine the Witcher TV show made for Twilight fans. Decent budget.. but actors talking in their normal voice with brand spanking customes and sets, so you constantly feel you're watching actors on a stage (Think big budget bbc drama). Combine this with the least convincing fight choreography ever, including a "one take" battle sequence that looks like a monty python sketch, awfully directed action and dramatic scenes across the board, ropey GGI monsters with a lead that looks like she's had 15mins sword training.

Even the tone is all over the place. I almost forgave the above assuming it was a kids show, then you have dead babies turn up with blood and gore.

Aware now, people will watch it out of morbid curiosity.. But by far the worse thing I've seen in ages.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.