Following Netflix Recommendations Thread Page 298

• gammonbanter 3 Feb 2021 12:18:57 2,191 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The Dig 8/10

Slow, very slow, nice countryside, lovely homes, touching story, understated. I really liked it, but I fully understand that it could be a form of torture for others.

Edited by gammonbanter at 12:19:21 03-02-2021
  • MacReadysChessWizard 3 Feb 2021 12:26:08 46 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    gammonbanter wrote:
    The Dig 8/10

Slow, very slow, nice countryside, lovely homes, touching story, understated. I really liked it, but I fully understand that it could be a form of torture for others.
    Sutton Hoo is just down the road from me (dowun the rowad, as they say round here), and Ralph Fiennes was, indeed born in Ipswich, but the trailer shows a very hit or miss attempt at a bumpkin accent. I haven't watched it yet, and probably won't as I doubt it's got car chases, helicopter shootouts, giant robots or exploding heads.
  • gammonbanter 3 Feb 2021 13:17:42 2,191 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    MacReadysChessWizard wrote:
    gammonbanter wrote:
    The Dig 8/10

Sutton Hoo is just down the road from me (dowun the rowad, as they say round here), and Ralph Fiennes was, indeed born in Ipswich, but the trailer shows a very hit or miss attempt at a bumpkin accent. I haven't watched it yet, and probably won't as I doubt it's got car chases, helicopter shootouts, giant robots or exploding heads.
    😆 There is a small action scene to wake the audience up a bit half way through! But yeah, I would have ran a mile away from this film even 5 years ago.

Can you visit Sutton Hoo? It's set in the summer and has a million miles of sky, it really makes you want to jump in the car and have a nice day out. I appreciated the pace so I could a) follow the plot b) understand what everyone was saying!

West London gets rep'd too, the scenes in the Ipswich Museum were set in Ealing Town Hall!
  • quadfather 3 Feb 2021 13:51:14 38,124 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've just started Dark. I'm 4 episodes in and thoroughly enjoying it so far. I'm at the bit right at the start wondering how it's all going to piece together.
  • MacReadysChessWizard 3 Feb 2021 13:57:34 46 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    gammonbanter wrote:
    gammonbanter wrote:
    The Dig 8/10

😆 There is a small action scene to wake the audience up a bit half way through! But yeah, I would have ran a mile away from this film even 5 years ago.

Can you visit Sutton Hoo? It's set in the summer and has a million miles of sky, it really makes you want to jump in the car and have a nice day out. I appreciated the pace so I could a) follow the plot b) understand what everyone was saying!

West London gets rep'd too, the scenes in the Ipswich Museum were set in Ealing Town Hall!
    Yeah, you can visit in some way..I'm a almost ashamed to say I've never been to it - driven past it countless times on my way to a mates!
  • PazJohnMitch 3 Feb 2021 15:11:29 16,751 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    wuntyate wrote:
    I'm not one to randomly start watching netflix stuff as I get choice paralysis every time I put one of these streaming services on and end up shoving a game on instead after 10 mins fruitless searching, but took a chance on Alice in Borderland last night. Watched the first 2 episodes and I flipping loved the shit out of it. Apparently based on a manga series, it comes across like Cube crossed with Battle Royale, as loads of (seemingly) innocent unconnected people get sucked into a parallel deserted Tokyo and have to compete in a series of ultra violent games to stay alive.

Great soundtrack and visuals and an intruiging cast of characters with hints alrady of how it all might play out. Looking forward to watching another couple of episodes this evening.
    A girl I work with and barely ever talk to phoned me up purely to recommend I watched that show.
  • wuntyate 3 Feb 2021 15:23:12 16,533 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @PazJohnMitch Have you seen it yet?
  • PazJohnMitch 3 Feb 2021 15:31:13 16,751 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    wuntyate wrote:
    No. It is set in Japan which is a bit of a no-no with my Chinese wife.
  • nickthegun 3 Feb 2021 15:39:22 85,078 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It loses a lot of steam and I binned it just over half way through. YYMV, but I really enjoyed the first few episodes but then it got boring and cliched.
  • wuntyate 3 Feb 2021 15:39:36 16,533 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ah, was curious to know if it stayed decent throughout.

At the risk of sounding incredibly stupid, why is it a no-no?

Edit: Ah thanks Nick. I suspected as much, these things always seem to outstay their welcome. I'll stick with it based on how I enjoyed the first two EPs and see how I go.

Edited by wuntyate at 15:40:20 03-02-2021
  • b-rk 3 Feb 2021 15:41:19 1,650 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    what does YYMV mean
  • askew 3 Feb 2021 15:46:50 22,837 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    IDK
  • PazJohnMitch 3 Feb 2021 15:47:11 16,751 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @wuntyate

Her grand parents are from Nanjing.
  • Zerobob 3 Feb 2021 16:37:00 2,857 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    gammonbanter wrote:
    gammonbanter wrote:
    The Dig 8/10

Last time I visited the British Museum I spent the most time looking at the Sutton Hoo hoard. It really is fascinating and the Anglo-Saxon helmet recovered has a truly haunting, baroque, and sophisticated elegance to it. A real jewel in the crown of our heritage.

I watched The Dig at the weekend, and whereas I enjoyed it on the whole, I wish it focused a little more on the treasure and related conflicts, rather than the manufactured and largely unrelated relationship dramas.

As soon as Lily James turned up disguised as an unattractive person I knew the plot was going to become all about her getting laid. And it did.
  • wuntyate 3 Feb 2021 16:56:05 16,533 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @PazJohnMitch Ah, got you.
  • Syrette 3 Feb 2021 21:35:46 51,045 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    @wuntyate

Her grand parents are from Nanjing.
    Oof. Fair enough...
  • Lukus 10 Feb 2021 20:43:03 24,135 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Might as well stick this in here as well in case anyone's after a recommendation.

Lukus wrote:
    Sweet Home

Korean series on Netflix. The country goes into lockdown and a state of emergency when people start turning into monsters. The protagonists in this story all live in the same high rise apartments and so band together to survive.

I really enjoyed it over all. It's got that eastern zaniness and Asian charm that would probably feel very cheesy and weird if it was done in a Western series.

The monsters are brilliantly designed and seem to be loosely based on the desires of the humans that turn. It reminded me a bit of Left For Dead in some ways in the general premise early on, but it hints at something more mysterious and deeper than your standard zombie outbreak.

The special effects are a mixed bag of really good and not so good, though that might be a deliberate stylistic choice, I'm not really sure, but it doesn't ruin it.

I'm uncertain how to really sell this, but the trailer gives a pretty good insight as to the look and feel of it.

Recommended!

8 out of 10
  • Nitrous 10 Feb 2021 23:10:43 2,212 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Lukus sounds good to me I'll give it a try.
  • JoeBlade 10 Feb 2021 23:47:32 5,865 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    Korean series on Netflix.
    Shirley you mean Corean, user Lucus?
  • Bambot 12 Feb 2021 08:36:18 1,965 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    wuntyate wrote:
    And where does she stand on girls you work with but definitely don’t talk to very much finding a paper thin excuse to call you up but bottling it once she’s used her excuse?
  • Bambot 12 Feb 2021 08:38:05 1,965 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    I've just started Dark. I'm 4 episodes in and thoroughly enjoying it so far. I'm at the bit right at the start wondering how it's all going to piece together.
    Every series gets progressively more far-fetched and yet they do manage to tie it all back together, just about, by the end. More than satisfyingly enough for me. Loved it.
  • Bambot 12 Feb 2021 08:39:13 1,965 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    b-rk wrote:
    what does YYMV mean
    Your yachtage may vary.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 12 Feb 2021 08:43:49 16,375 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Red Wall is coming

https://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2021/feb/11/redwall-is-coming-to-netflix-where-to-start-for-kids-and-adults
  • PazJohnMitch 12 Feb 2021 08:53:44 16,751 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Bambot wrote:
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    wuntyate wrote:
    And where does she stand on girls you work with but definitely don’t talk to very much finding a paper thin excuse to call you up but bottling it once she’s used her excuse?
    That is definitely not the case. The girl at work doesn’t talk to me much because she really doesn’t like me (and I don’t mean romantically, I mean at all). If anything it was probably an olive branch to say she is now willing to talk to me again.

Wife doesn’t like her. Never has. (But that is mainly due to the girl at work being from HK and having a superiority complex when it comes to mainland China. And then there is the HK / China politics.....)
  • TheSaint 12 Feb 2021 08:57:47 20,388 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Post deleted
  • TheSaint 12 Feb 2021 08:58:05 20,388 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Red Wall is coming

https://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2021/feb/11/redwall-is-coming-to-netflix-where-to-start-for-kids-and-adults
    Will they ever vote Labour again?
  • Bambot 12 Feb 2021 09:47:08 1,965 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    Bambot wrote:
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    wuntyate wrote:
    That is definitely not the case. The girl at work doesn’t talk to me much because she really doesn’t like me (and I don’t mean romantically, I mean at all). If anything it was probably an olive branch to say she is now willing to talk to me again.

Wife doesn’t like her. Never has. (But that is mainly due to the girl at work being from HK and having a superiority complex when it comes to mainland China. And then there is the HK / China politics.....)
    Why doesn’t she like you?
  • PazJohnMitch 12 Feb 2021 11:32:13 16,751 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Bambot Lots of reasons. Most are my fault.

I once told our colleagues that she was looking for cat photos on the work computers and googled “cutie pussies” and was somewhat traumatised. It was a true story but I shouldn’t have told people.

She was also very upset when I pointed out her complete lack of knowledge of Chinese etiquette when we took a Chinese client to a restaurant. (My intention was to educate her, so she wouldn’t fuck up again. Young me was hardly tactful though). Imagine a white guy explaining Chinese etiquette to a HK girl.

There have been many other incidents when I have pointed out differences between Chinese and HK culture. I was trying to prepare her for the differences but she was unwilling to accept that there were any. She even reported me to HR for anti Chinese racism as my take on China was different to her opinion of HK. (She ended up travelling to the worst place in China I know of and almost had a breakdown due to the huge culture shock).

Edited by PazJohnMitch at 11:33:39 12-02-2021
  • Bambot 12 Feb 2021 11:43:16 1,965 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @PazJohnMitch Thanks for sharing, lol’d at the cutie pussies. Only just realising I guess you work in HK?
  • Jono62 12 Feb 2021 11:48:35 26,501 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    (My intention was to educate her, so she wouldn’t fuck up again. Young me was hardly tactful though).
    Is that her name?
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.