Following Netflix Recommendations Thread Page 299

  • PazJohnMitch 12 Feb 2021 11:52:41 16,751 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Bambot wrote:
    @PazJohnMitch Thanks for sharing, lolíd at the cutie pussies. Only just realising I guess you work in HK?
    No actually work in London. There was a good 10 years where I only worked with Chinese clients though and spent almost 4 years in mainland China. (Which is how I met my wife).

    Colleague moved to UK for university and got a job here. When the above stories happened English was very much her 2nd language and work was the only time she left her Cantonese bubble. That is not true anymore and she now has a British boyfriend. It is the happiest I have ever seen her which is really good.
  • PazJohnMitch 12 Feb 2021 11:55:12 16,751 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Jono62 wrote:
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    (My intention was to educate her, so she wouldnít fuck up again. Young me was hardly tactful though).
    Is that her name?
    Lol. No.
  • PazJohnMitch 12 Feb 2021 12:03:00 16,751 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Back on topic of the thread.

    I have now watched all 3 seasons of Designated Survivor. I thought S1 was excellent but S2 and S3 morphed into a Westwing clone. They were still good but a long way short of the first seasonís quality.
  • Vortex808 12 Feb 2021 12:30:09 14,749 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Jono62 wrote:
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    (My intention was to educate her, so she wouldnít fuck up again. Young me was hardly tactful though).
    Is that her name?
    :-D
  • wuntyate 12 Feb 2021 13:10:21 16,533 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I finished Alice in Borderland the other night and... I really enoyed it. It definitely dips midway and goes somewhere that you pretty much need to get on board with to continue enjoying it as it all gets a bit melodramatic. By that time I was pretty much fully invested however so I kept watching and really liked how it ended. Can't wait for season 2.
  • Bambot 12 Feb 2021 13:49:38 1,965 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    Back on topic of the thread.

    I have now watched all 3 seasons of Designated Survivor. I thought S1 was excellent but S2 and S3 morphed into a Westwing clone. They were still good but a long way short of the first seasonís quality.
    Was Designated Survivor the show that had the most blatant in-show car commercial Iíve ever seen, where two agents are chatting while some fancy car lingers in the background and then he presses a button on his fob and they spend ten to fifteen seconds doing car commercial lingering closeups across the car exterior before cutting to lingering closeups of some screen activating inside?
  • Bambot 12 Feb 2021 13:50:34 1,965 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Jono62 wrote:
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    (My intention was to educate her, so she wouldnít fuck up again. Young me was hardly tactful though).
    Is that her name?
    Ginuwine lol
  • PazJohnMitch 12 Feb 2021 14:27:18 16,751 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Bambot wrote:
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    Back on topic of the thread.

    I have now watched all 3 seasons of Designated Survivor. I thought S1 was excellent but S2 and S3 morphed into a Westwing clone. They were still good but a long way short of the first seasonís quality.
    Was Designated Survivor the show that had the most blatant in-show car commercial Iíve ever seen, where two agents are chatting while some fancy car lingers in the background and then he presses a button on his fob and they spend ten to fifteen seconds doing car commercial lingering closeups across the car exterior before cutting to lingering closeups of some screen activating inside?
    I am fairly oblivious to this sort of thing. I do not recall what you describe but it seems plausible. If one of the agents was played by Maggie Q, then yes.
  • ibenam 12 Feb 2021 20:53:17 3,377 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Informer

    British crime thriller set in london

    Brilliant acting by the lead

    9/10
  • MrWonderstuff 12 Feb 2021 21:00:18 3,539 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @PazJohnMitch I enjoyed Designated Survivor and as someone who hasn't watched The West Wing didnt mind the politicking. I agree first season was the best. Although Kiefer really carried it there were some fun characters such as the political advisor in season 2.
  • Knighty 12 Feb 2021 21:38:26 1,270 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Oh my god, as a 36 year old with my copies of red wall, salamandastron, moss flower, pearls of lutra still in my incredibly cut down bookcase ready for my boys the redwall news pleases me greatly.

    For some reason I still hang on to those (and the obvious pratchett books) after years, in the hope of getting my kids into it. At 5 and 7, still a bit young. But hopefully a tv series might spark up the interest!
  • MadCaddy13 14 Feb 2021 11:33:17 3,152 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Vanishing at Cecil Hotel

    I remember hearing about this when it came about - a girl acting really strange in a hotel lift caught on cctv, then she disappears. Creepy af throughout, a bit tedious with the padding but ultimately a really good watch. The coincidences are crazy
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 16 Feb 2021 01:33:17 16,375 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Knighty wrote:
    Oh my god, as a 36 year old with my copies of red wall, salamandastron, moss flower, pearls of lutra still in my incredibly cut down bookcase ready for my boys the redwall news pleases me greatly.

    For some reason I still hang on to those (and the obvious pratchett books) after years, in the hope of getting my kids into it. At 5 and 7, still a bit young. But hopefully a tv series might spark up the interest!
    Getting rid of all my Discworld books when we moved house is a giant regret for me. Especially as the books were republished with new much worse covers around the same time so the only way Iíd feel comfortable replacing them is secondhand in the smaller format with the proper artwork.

    TL/DR - donít ever get rid of yours
  • fontgeeksogood 16 Feb 2021 06:18:34 12,442 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm reading "worse covers" as "no ladies with big tiddies and small bras"

    Which was always a bit odd, I thought, for Discworld novels where sexuality, let alone sex, barely gets mentioned
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 18 Feb 2021 14:19:18 16,375 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tim Burton making a Wednesday Addams series

    https://www.gamespot.com/articles/tim-burton-is-making-an-addams-family-tv-show-on-netflix-and-wednesday-is-the-star/1100-6487691/

    Iím pretty sure I can imagine so close to what itíll be I almost donít need to watch
  • muddyyfunster 18 Feb 2021 15:49:40 911 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Tim Burton making a Wednesday Addams series

    https://www.gamespot.com/articles/tim-burton-is-making-an-addams-family-tv-show-on-netflix-and-wednesday-is-the-star/1100-6487691/

    Iím pretty sure I can imagine so close to what itíll be I almost donít need to watch
    Helena Bonham Carter will be playing 50-year-old Wednesday.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 18 Feb 2021 16:09:59 16,375 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Johnny Depp as Gomez with ďissuesĒ
  • Jono62 22 Feb 2021 22:13:16 26,501 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Spaced is on there now.
  • Gruff 22 Feb 2021 22:51:54 3,779 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Watching these currently, still quality, comedy genius with added Edgar Wright.
  • Vortex808 22 Feb 2021 22:55:22 14,749 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Jono62 wrote:
    Spaced is on there now.
    Both series? Watched s1 repeats on c4 recently.

    I quite fancy bingeing s2 after that. It had held up pretty well, even after so many years.
  • Zerobob 22 Feb 2021 23:05:05 2,857 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    MadCaddy13 wrote:
    The Vanishing at Cecil Hotel

    I remember hearing about this when it came about - a girl acting really strange in a hotel lift caught on cctv, then she disappears. Creepy af throughout, a bit tedious with the padding but ultimately a really good watch. The coincidences are crazy
    I watched this after knowing about the case already, but I really didn't appreciate how much the series was padded. There was maybe an hour's content max, spread over 4 odd hours. It was painful to watch.

    It also used a structure that I'm getting completely fed up of, where you're fed a narritive of "facts", but are then finally given the actual overriding facts of the matter later in the programme. I just want the summary of the case, rather than everybody's incorrect assumptions and details of all irrelevant tangents along the way.

    History documentaries do the same. Instead of giving you the historical facts, they instead follow some archeologists fruitlessly digging up a field, or studying satellite imagery. I just want a presentation of the findings, not a blow-by-blow account of somebody's working day.
  • ChiefGB 23 Feb 2021 11:55:28 13,415 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I watched ep one and it scarcely made me look up from my phone throughout (or more likely drove me to pick it up). Seemed to take more than half an hour before it had anything relevant to the title case to say, and even then it was the cctv clip that no one has a clue what is going on in and were just making shit up as they talked over it.

    I donít think Iíll go back to it.

    Edited by ChiefGB at 11:57:49 23-02-2021
  • Jono62 23 Feb 2021 12:00:23 26,501 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Zerobob Seems to be the theme for Netflix docs. Get all the theories in and show you what actually happened in the last one.

    Might just watch the last eps now to avoid all the filler.
  • Jono62 23 Feb 2021 12:02:09 26,501 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    Jono62 wrote:
    Spaced is on there now.
    Both series? Watched s1 repeats on c4 recently.

    I quite fancy bingeing s2 after that. It had held up pretty well, even after so many years.
    Yes. On Prime and All 4 as well according to Justwatch.
  • wuntyate 23 Feb 2021 12:32:47 16,533 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm hesitant to watch Spaced again. It's been so long I don't know how it will hold up. I can still remember most of it vividly anyway and random quotes still spill from my mouth on a regular basis (you can't drink a pint of bovril), but I'm almost scared to tarnish my fond memories of it.
  • Dougs 23 Feb 2021 12:44:59 98,009 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    It holds up, don't panic. Very 90s obviously but still brilliant
  • wuntyate 23 Feb 2021 12:58:27 16,533 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'll need to give it a rewatch in that case.

    "You shot me in the bollocks Tim"
    "Like I said, no hard feelings"
  • Gruff 23 Feb 2021 13:05:42 3,779 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Yeah, agreed, absolutely still on point, a few 90'a references, but the style and editing has not aged at all
  • imamazed 23 Feb 2021 13:21:16 6,588 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    What do you mean her real name's Ian?
  • DaM 23 Feb 2021 17:21:54 17,628 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I've been trying to get my daughter to watch it, I think it would be her type of thing, but she's not interested in watching anything from before 2000...including films. One day she'll realise she was wrong. Or I'll turn my funeral into a forced watching of 70s sci-fi films.

    Spaced has really held up well.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.