Following Netflix Recommendations Thread Page 300

• DaM 23 Feb 2021 17:23:51 17,636 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Gruff wrote:
    Yeah, agreed, absolutely still on point, a few 90'a references, but the style and editing has not aged at all
    Watching Wandavision, it's easy to spot 50s, 60s, 70s styles beyond music. But when it comes to 90s, 00s, 10s, what defines them? It's more tech we are using, software.
  • Gruff 23 Feb 2021 17:50:16 3,784 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    In Spaced specifically its aged quite well, Edgar Wright's style is clearly defined and is all present and correct in this, there a few references to 90's fads but few and far between.

The writing is still bang on and mostly to do with relationships or geek/film culture, most of it still relevant.

It is still a joy in my book.
  • JoelStinty 24 Feb 2021 06:38:11 9,292 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah I watched the first season of spaced recently and it still absolutely holds up. I think I probably found it funnier than any other time I watched it. Everyone remembers the references but they’re far and few between. Most of it revolves around Tim and daisy living together

Edited by JoelStinty at 06:39:10 24-02-2021
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 24 Feb 2021 08:07:40 16,511 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Spaced definitely still holds up amazingly well.

The first season probably more than the second as its more driven by characters than capers but both are pretty much perfect.
  • Zerobob 24 Feb 2021 09:30:41 2,870 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I watched the first 4 (of 6) episodes of Tribes of Europa last night and quite enjoyed it.

It's an eclectic mix of ideas, and nothing about it feels truly original. It's also a bit more plot-heavy than I would have liked, but the story unfolds in interesting ways.

The most interesting thing was the dubbing. It's a German series dubbed into English. However, the Crows (the bad guys) all natively speak in English, so their parts aren't dubbed.

I thought it was an interesting insight into German media, in that their heroes obviously speak German, but their villains specifically speak English, even in a fully German production.
  • ChiefGB 24 Feb 2021 11:15:13 13,499 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I blame Angela merkel 🤣🤣
  • Zerobob 24 Feb 2021 11:29:21 2,870 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I mean, we've done the same thing in reverse for 70 odd years with war films, but I think with good reason.
  • Technoishmatt 24 Feb 2021 13:38:02 4,977 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    What country is that zerobob? My UK Netflix doesn't dub it automatically, just has subtitles.
  • askew 24 Feb 2021 13:47:12 22,882 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Are we the baddies?
  • General_Martok 24 Feb 2021 13:59:20 1,890 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Zerobob wrote:
    I watched the first 4 (of 6) episodes of Tribes of Europa last night and quite enjoyed it.

It's an eclectic mix of ideas, and nothing about it feels truly original. It's also a bit more plot-heavy than I would have liked, but the story unfolds in interesting ways.

The most interesting thing was the dubbing. It's a German series dubbed into English. However, the Crows (the bad guys) all natively speak in English, so their parts aren't dubbed.

I thought it was an interesting insight into German media, in that their heroes obviously speak German, but their villains specifically speak English, even in a fully German production.
    Finished season 1 yesterday. I quite liked it.

The Atlanteans also natively speak English I think basically anyone that's not German speaks English.

Confusingly in the last 2 episodes even the Crows started to speak in German.

Looking forward to Season 2.

Love the eccentric characters.
  • Derblington 24 Feb 2021 14:00:03 34,580 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Technoishmatt wrote:
    What country is that zerobob? My UK Netflix doesn't dub it automatically, just has subtitles.
    You can change it under the audio & subtitles option.
  • Zerobob 24 Feb 2021 15:45:34 2,870 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    Technoishmatt wrote:
    You can change it under the audio & subtitles option.
    Yep exactly, there's load of options. My built-in LG Netflix app dubbed it automatically though.
  • Zerobob 24 Feb 2021 15:58:14 2,870 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    General_Martok wrote:
    Zerobob wrote:

Finished season 1 yesterday. I quite liked it.

The Atlanteans also natively speak English I think basically anyone that's not German speaks English.

Confusingly in the last 2 episodes even the Crows started to speak in German.

Looking forward to Season 2.

Love the eccentric characters.
    That is confusing!

I played around with the dubbing, and when I set the speech to the default German, the conversations between Crows and the good guys were all conducted in English... no need for dubbing.
  • Nitrous 25 Feb 2021 07:30:37 2,216 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Released in 2019 so may have already been listed but almost finished Marianne. It's only got 1 season after being cancelled in January 2020.

French horror series but the English dubbing was imo rather good for a change. When a famous horror writer goes back to her hometown, she finds out that the evil spirit that plagues her dreams is also there in real life.

It starts out a bit slow but gets going around the mid point. We are on the last episode so hoping the ending is good.
  • Killerbee 25 Feb 2021 10:27:51 5,092 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    I've been trying to get my daughter to watch it, I think it would be her type of thing, but she's not interested in watching anything from before 2000...including films. One day she'll realise she was wrong. Or I'll turn my funeral into a forced watching of 70s sci-fi films.

Spaced has really held up well.
    Getting my kids to watch “old” films is just a lesson in bitter disappointment.

They have been utterly meh on Indiana Jones, Ghostbusters, Goonies, Princess Bride, A New Hope... the one film franchise that was a success was Back to the Future. They all loved the trilogy (though 1 and 2 are best, obviously).

I blame Marvel for basically ruining cinema because nothing else is as shiny...
  • robthehermit 25 Feb 2021 10:43:15 8,248 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Will people please stop perpetuating the myth that BttF 2 is better than 3.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 25 Feb 2021 10:49:48 16,511 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Three sucks
  • Dougs 25 Feb 2021 11:10:25 98,122 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Thankfully my kids both seem to love all.the 80s classics. We did BttF again last weekend, Indy again this weekend I think. They love The Goonies, Ghostbusters, Karate Kid etc. And Home Alone is no longer just a Christmas film in our house. They do watch practically anything though, so I may be over egging it.
  • nickthegun 25 Feb 2021 11:11:43 85,269 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I know we do this nearly as much as Alien 3, but BTTF 2 is nowhere near as good as 3.
  • Dougs 25 Feb 2021 11:15:40 98,122 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Yeah, even though 3 is a retread really, it's much more fun than 2. The 4k HDR versions are on the Apple TV store for £15 for the lot btw. Bargain.
  • wuntyate 25 Feb 2021 11:17:28 16,586 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You're right, it's not. 1 & 3 are brilliant fun. 2 is mainly just depressing.
  • richarddavies 25 Feb 2021 11:32:23 8,171 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You're all whores. WHORES!
    BTTF 2 is great.

• nickthegun 25 Feb 2021 11:35:00 85,269 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, its good, its just not as good as BTTF3. Doc Brown is a great character and Christopher Lloyd is a great actor so giving him the movie was, honestly, the best decision they could have made and pushes it over the edge.
  • Killerbee 25 Feb 2021 13:30:31 5,092 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I love BTTF2 - I think the way it weaves its story around the events of the first film is brilliant.

“Two McFlys!?”

3 is good but always felt the least clever in terms of the time travel plotting and for me, somehow not as satisfying.
  • monkman76 25 Feb 2021 13:35:48 18,095 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    2 is definitely better than 3. It's the most time-travelly of the trilogy and it doesn't have the overly slushy Doc Brown romance that brings 3 down for me.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.