Following Netflix Recommendations Thread Page 309

• MrFlay 4 Jun 2021 20:54:16 4,663 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Post deleted
  • mothercruncher 4 Jun 2021 21:05:51 19,320 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I canít find Post deleted on Netflix, which category is it in?
  • mrpon 4 Jun 2021 21:09:45 37,233 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    https://www.netflix.com/gb/title/80173711
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 4 Jun 2021 22:38:18 18,203 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    After a long trip to A&E with Baby Maybe today Sweet Tooth is doing things to me
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 4 Jun 2021 22:52:14 18,203 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I also really want to listen to Decemberists and Bright Eyes and Neutral Milk Hotel and the first Arcade Fire album now
  • Daz190uk 5 Jun 2021 09:36:33 458 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    JoeBlade wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    Jupiterís Legacy has been canned, apparently. They really are going to have to pull their fingers out of their arses if they want to hang with Marvel TV.
    I'm watching this at the moment and boy does it lose momentum. The fight with Blackstar (not a spoiler, it literally happens within the first 5 minutes) was amazing but then it's all a sleep-inducing origin story.

In a superhero series I want to see superheroes kick some arse, damned.
    I really liked it, I an a bit of a suckered for an old guard making way of the new type story though. Must be getting old myself.

A shame if it is canned.
  • nickthegun 5 Jun 2021 09:54:08 86,899 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Like a lot of their stuff, they dragged a movies worth of story out over an entire series. I still donít know how anyone at Netflix watched all the depression era stuff and didnít stay Ďwait, no, stop. This is unbearably boringí.
  • Darth_Flibble 5 Jun 2021 10:32:58 5,311 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Netflix does not have any quality control, they rush to greenlit stuff for content but a lot of the time its not great.

(At least Army of the dead didn't have the 2011 script idea of zombies that rape women) I think Zach is bit "damaged"
  • TechnoHippy 5 Jun 2021 10:50:07 19,118 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    You could flip that idea and have a unit of necrophiliacs hunting zombies :-)
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 5 Jun 2021 10:50:17 18,203 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Netflix Original is basically a warning these days
  • JoeBlade 5 Jun 2021 11:10:15 6,135 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Netflix did give us stuff like Stranger Things, Love + Death + Robots, The Witcher and The Punisher, to name but a few.

Whether they tickle your fancy is personal obviously but if you deny those are proper series you're just being a twat.

Admittedly, it's a numbers game. 80% of their output is shite but I think that's the whole idea (make lots and hope for lightning to strike)

Edit: got the order wrong on LDR.

Edited by JoeBlade at 11:15:19 05-06-2021
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 5 Jun 2021 11:15:40 18,203 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think its your last point thats the issue. They have had some excellent series and still knock it out of the park occasionally but it does feel like their policy of commission literally anything is starting to have the shit outweigh the good.

Mostly though the issue is that they need more editorial oversight. There are so many films that could lose half an hour or series that could drop 2-4 episodes and be great instead of splurges of filler.
  • Dougs 5 Jun 2021 11:17:06 99,627 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Yeah, they have done some quality stuff. House of Cards, Titans, Ozarks, Umbrella Academy, Sex Education, Russian Doll, Unbelievable, Unorthodox. How many of those are proper Netflix series, or just ones they've picked up, I know not.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 5 Jun 2021 11:18:31 18,203 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Even among the stuff marketed as Original some of the best has been made by someone else (Feel Good and End of the Fucking World were Channel 4 for example) or series they picked up or revived after they began elsewhere
  • JoeBlade 5 Jun 2021 11:25:58 6,135 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Mostly though the issue is that they need more editorial oversight. There are so many films that could lose half an hour or series that could drop 2-4 episodes and be great instead of splurges of filler.
    Now this I very much agree with. Quite a few of the series they have produced - or at least financed - could have been excellent films but were not suited to span multiple hours.

If they are taking themselves seriously I believe hiring someone to do some serious reviewing or editing is in order.
  • Zerobob 5 Jun 2021 11:26:47 2,962 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think the Netflix Original stuff is very hit or miss, but some is pretty good, such as Dolomite Is my Name and The Haunting of Hill House / Bly Manor series.

I just wish more of it was displayed in Dolby Vision and in 16:9, given a TV is the target device.

Even some newer Netflix films are simply HD in 21:9 aspect and look like ass.
  • ChiefGB 6 Jun 2021 03:42:42 13,734 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I still donít know how anyone at Netflix watched all the depression era stuff and didnít stay Ďwait, no, stop. This is unbearably boringí.
    Is that their marvel shows 🤣
  • ChiefGB 6 Jun 2021 03:45:17 13,734 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    You could flip that idea and have a unit of necrophiliacs hunting zombies :-)
    🤫 thatís the prequels storyline.
  • Graxlar_v3 6 Jun 2021 07:40:01 11,059 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I quite enjoyed love and monsters.
  • TheSaint 6 Jun 2021 08:10:25 20,758 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I donít think their hit and miss rate is much different to the major tv channels. Itís just more in your face.
  • alt-cmd-esc 6 Jun 2021 08:11:10 675 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    JoeBlade wrote:
    Netflix did give us stuff like Stranger Things, Love + Death + Robots, The Witcher and The Punisher, to name but a few.

Whether they tickle your fancy is personal obviously but if you deny those are proper series you're just being a twat.

Admittedly, it's a numbers game. 80% of their output is shite but I think that's the whole idea (make lots and hope for lightning to strike)

They'll catch up to the BBC soon enough, I'm sure. These shows are all perfectly watchable, but they are no The Masked Dancer or Monkey Tennis. The license fee really does pay off when you're getting that kind of quality output
  • Load_2.0 6 Jun 2021 08:26:26 33,271 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Daz190uk wrote:
    JoeBlade wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    Jupiterís Legacy has been canned, apparently. They really are going to have to pull their fingers out of their arses if they want to hang with Marvel TV.
    I'm watching this at the moment and boy does it lose momentum. The fight with Blackstar (not a spoiler, it literally happens within the first 5 minutes) was amazing but then it's all a sleep-inducing origin story.

In a superhero series I want to see superheroes kick some arse, damned.
    I really liked it, I an a bit of a suckered for an old guard making way of the new type story though. Must be getting old myself.

A shame if it is canned.
    There were bits that were intriguing, the whole 1920's setting and the strange visions with subsequent quest was a bit different from standard superhero fare. As Nick mentioned parts were exceedingly boring but it could have been fun to explore supes in that period.

But the things they got wrong were just so glaringly awful. I'm amazed it made it to screen at all. The wigs, beards and aging makeup, truly, truly bad. Combine that with the cheap looking hero costumes and it was an immediate barrier to enjoyment.

The shitty dialogue, I could literally guess the next line on several occasions it was so cliched. The characters interaction, chemistry and family dynamic was dire, that daughter was badly cast and her entire story arc just sucked.

I would have liked it to work but it felt like a 80's or 90's kids cartoon with a sprinkling of salty language at times.

A real wasted opportunity.

Anyway apparently they are producing a Villains version so not all is lost for fans.

Edited by Load_2.0 at 08:29:34 06-06-2021
  • Technoishmatt 6 Jun 2021 09:24:25 5,240 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think i disagree wihmth almost every single point there!
  • nickthegun 6 Jun 2021 11:50:53 86,899 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Every bad thing in the show stems from the ludicrous decision to spend over half the running time in the past.

It forced them to use terrible aging makeup as the alternative was use a different cast or digitally de-age middle aged actors.

The actually quite lush period recreation also seemed to suck budget from the modern stuff meaning most of the special effects sucked ass.

It also meant a full half of the show was just ridiculously boring.

Edited by nickthegun at 11:52:20 06-06-2021
  • chopsen 6 Jun 2021 12:00:48 21,903 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Episode n: We need a boat!

Episode n+1: we found a boat!

Episode n+2: we're getting on a boat!

Episode n+3: look at us, we're on a boat, we need to get it moving!

Episode n+4: we're on a boat and it's moving.

Episode n+5: we're going quite far, so we're spending this episode still on a boat, but it's moving.

Episode n+6: We've arrived!

Episode n+7: we got off the boat

Episode n+8: we're on an island

Episode n+9: pretty lights, that means nothing, back on to the boat we go

.......aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand season!
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 6 Jun 2021 14:03:54 18,203 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    A few episodes into Sweet Tooth and Iím thinking ďthis would make a great video gameĒ but then I realised that that is almost what Last of Us and TellTaleís Walking Dead are sad versions of already.

I think I need to give this series a read once Iíve finished watching the ahow.
  • PazJohnMitch 6 Jun 2021 15:12:07 17,034 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah Sweet Tooth is essentially the Last of Us: PG edition.

Over half way through and it was been perfectly watchable so far. I am failing as to see how it will have a satisfactory ending though.

Edit: Turns out my fears were more than justified.

Edited by PazJohnMitch at 18:05:13 06-06-2021
  • Flying_Pig 6 Jun 2021 16:06:48 16,923 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    I quite enjoyed love and monsters.
    Yeah, me too. Certainly better than the Zombie thing.
  • drhickman1983 6 Jun 2021 18:05:49 7,589 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Quite enjoyed The Dragon Prince, animated fantasy. Kinda similar in tone to Avatar: The Last Airbender (unsurprising as it shares some writers and creators and cast), but it's s bit more of a traditional fantasy setting with elves and mages and dragons. It does sound interesting things with that, and has a few anachronisms.

It does have some very interesting characters too, and has a lot of heart and empathy. The story also goes off in directions I didn't really expect.

The story hasn't finished yet - the three short seasons (9 half hourish episodes) are basically the first act, but I'm very intrigued to see where it goes.
  • Youthist 6 Jun 2021 23:21:50 14,569 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    alt-cmd-esc wrote:
    JoeBlade wrote:

They'll catch up to the BBC soon enough, I'm sure. These shows are all perfectly
    watchable, but they are no The Masked Dancer or Monkey Tennis. The license fee really does pay off when you're getting that kind of quality output
    No idea what monkey tennis is but masked dancer is on ITV.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.