Following Netflix Recommendations Thread Page 310

• robthehermit 7 Jun 2021 10:16:54 8,493 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Bo Burnham - Inside

Dark, funny, surreal and a bit depressing. Definitely well worth watching, probably more than once. Utter brilliance.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 7 Jun 2021 10:19:54 18,205 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Is it much like his regular stand-up?
  • robthehermit 7 Jun 2021 10:42:21 8,493 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Yes and no. The core elements are all present, but without an audience it's all just that much darker and twisted. The songs are definitely some of the best he's done.
  • JoelStinty 8 Jun 2021 08:44:04 9,471 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Zerobob wrote:
    I think the Netflix Original stuff is very hit or miss, but some is pretty good, such as Dolomite Is my Name and The Haunting of Hill House / Bly Manor series.

I just wish more of it was displayed in Dolby Vision and in 16:9, given a TV is the target device.

Even some newer Netflix films are simply HD in 21:9 aspect and look like ass.
    I started watching The Haunting of Hill house this week. And its great. Really good start to the season (Three episodes in). Great characters, really well directed and edited as well. If it carries on as well as it started I think it'll end up being one of my favourite shows.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 9 Jun 2021 11:05:43 18,205 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Have any comics wankers been watching Sweet Tooth?

I really enjoyed it but curious how it compares.

Also, would love to know how people feel about a character who appears later on who I thought was hilarious but I imagine has made a load of people furious
  • PazJohnMitch 9 Jun 2021 11:20:27 17,034 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The old friend in the vehicle? Or someone else?
  • nickthegun 9 Jun 2021 11:23:47 86,900 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Im about halfway and its Im enjoying it. I can see why that review I read was fairly scathing, though.

Its a good show in its own right but the comic is more of Walking Dead vibe and can be quite nihilistic. The show has had everything turned right down.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 9 Jun 2021 11:26:53 18,205 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    The old friend in the vehicle? Or someone else?
    The budget Jim Henson hybrid puppet boy
  • drhickman1983 10 Jun 2021 19:07:11 7,589 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This looks better than expected.

[youtube]81wyj65SJIo&ab[/youtube]

fucking youtube tag is being a shit. Its the new He-Man thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81wyj65SJIo&ab_channel=Netflix

Edited by drhickman1983 at 19:09:34 10-06-2021
  • Syrette 11 Jun 2021 11:53:05 51,118 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Lupin Part 2 today, then.

Don't mind if I do!
  • PatrickEwing 11 Jun 2021 12:35:59 2,541 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Nice, loved Lupin S1
    Had me convinced if one watched only french language progs for a month or so you could become fluent
  • PazJohnMitch 11 Jun 2021 13:37:04 17,034 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I need to watch Lupin. Although we just started Suits (I know I am over a decade late) and that, so far, is excellent.
  • jrmat 11 Jun 2021 15:42:06 280 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Suits starts great. Starts better than it continues but you've got a good 30 EPs if not more of enjoyable TV
  • Zerobob 11 Jun 2021 15:45:21 2,962 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    JoelStinty wrote:
    Zerobob wrote:
    I think the Netflix Original stuff is very hit or miss, but some is pretty good, such as Dolomite Is my Name and The Haunting of Hill House / Bly Manor series.

I just wish more of it was displayed in Dolby Vision and in 16:9, given a TV is the target device.

Even some newer Netflix films are simply HD in 21:9 aspect and look like ass.
    I started watching The Haunting of Hill house this week. And its great. Really good start to the season (Three episodes in). Great characters, really well directed and edited as well. If it carries on as well as it started I think it'll end up being one of my favourite shows.
    Yes, horror is my least favourite genre because it's always done so poorly - especially gothic horror - and even I enjoyed The Haunting of Hill House immensely, probably because it was wise enough to focus on the characters, rather than the house itself.

Just a shame a lot of Netflix's other stuff isn't up to the same standard.
  • Zerobob 11 Jun 2021 15:50:00 2,962 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Have any comics wankers been watching Sweet Tooth?

I really enjoyed it but curious how it compares.

Also, would love to know how people feel about a character who appears later on who I thought was hilarious but I imagine has made a load of people furious
    I've been wondering whether to bother with Sweet Tooth. I've read the synopsis and the central concept just sounds dumb AF.

I'm wondering if the show does a good job of allowing the viewer to suspend their disbelief and get invested. If it does I'll give it a watch.

Otherwise, I'm happy to accept I'm too old and grumpy to enjoy it.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 11 Jun 2021 17:51:14 18,205 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Zerobob there’s one or two iffy hybrid make-ups but they’re background characters - the rest is pretty much what you’d expect from the genre
  • Technoishmatt 11 Jun 2021 18:07:49 5,240 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    We enjoyed it. It has a bit of "naive child stays naive and keeps doing stupid stuff even after seeing lots of murdering". Ends on a cliffhanger, dammit.

Edited by Technoishmatt at 18:13:56 11-06-2021
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 11 Jun 2021 18:09:36 18,205 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I really enjoyed it and would definitely say give it a watch
  • Zerobob 11 Jun 2021 18:16:44 2,962 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @simpleexplodingmaybe I suppose what I mean is that the concept of a boy that's half deer half human is just fucking stupid.

...BUT you could say the same thing about half the characters in Guardians of the Galaxy, or Buffy, or most of the concepts in Harry Potter. However, they get away with it because the central concept and execution is strong enough to accommodate the absurdity.

I'm basically wondering if the world in Sweet Tooth and execution of the story lets you settle into the story.
  • Syrette 11 Jun 2021 18:36:14 51,118 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    It absolutely does, if you ask me. It's really quite charming.
  • Zerobob 11 Jun 2021 18:43:41 2,962 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ah excellent, thanks, I'll give it a go later on.
  • Mola_Ram 13 Jun 2021 13:32:09 25,895 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm watching S4 of Castlevania.

The fights are really, really good, and there's a lot of them! But it feels like there's still a lot of padding.

And some of the dialogue has real "I have to do a 10 minute book report but only have enough material for 8" energy to it. "I have found that I want to live. Yes, living is what I will do, now that I know that I want to live. To live, that is my desire. I will live."

And so on. You could cut most of that out and get most of the important stuff into 8 episodes.

Anyway, it's still very good. :)
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 13 Jun 2021 14:19:30 18,205 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I like Castlevania but always thought there needed to be more monster variety in the series. The first two especially just go for generic beast when you get everything going in the games.
  • Nitrous 14 Jun 2021 06:41:46 2,271 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Just noticed that the Netflix app on the phone tells me Black Summer season 2 is coming Thursday. Hopefully it's as good as the first, can't wait.
  • RedPanda87 14 Jun 2021 08:16:35 2,154 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    I like Castlevania but always thought there needed to be more monster variety in the series. The first two especially just go for generic beast when you get everything going in the games.
    I quite like a lot of the monster design, and felt there was reasonable variety. What I didn't like was that most of the monsters could comfortably be taken out by a one-legged peasant wielding a shoe.
  • Mola_Ram 14 Jun 2021 08:29:42 25,895 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There's a bit of a weird thing going on with season 4, in that the more monsters there are, the easier they are to take down individually. But if there's only one or two they give everyone huge problems, even if they don't look any different from the regular mooks.

But they're definitely not lacking in variety, there's some really cool designs in there (albeit lifted from the games).
  • nickthegun 14 Jun 2021 09:04:06 86,900 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The decision to keep them apart until their triumphant reunion at the end meant that most interesting things happened in carmillas castle. Everyone else was doing pointless busy work until the plot finally allowed them to do something.

The highs were as good as anything in the rest of the series but there was a lot of padding to get it to length. Still a good ending and a solid series overall.
  • freddymercurystwin 14 Jun 2021 10:04:31 2,676 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Nitrous wrote:
    Just noticed that the Netflix app on the phone tells me Black Summer season 2 is coming Thursday. Hopefully it's as good as the first, can't wait.
    Yes the first season was excellent, actually I might blast through the first season again beforehand ...
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.