Netflix Recommendations Thread Page 311

• Graxlar_v3 14 Jun 2021 14:17:54 11,233 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    The decision to keep them apart until their triumphant reunion at the end meant that most interesting things happened in carmillas castle. Everyone else was doing pointless busy work until the plot finally allowed them to do something.

The highs were as good as anything in the rest of the series but there was a lot of padding to get it to length. Still a good ending and a solid series overall.
    The fight between Issac and Camilla is up there with one of the best fights I have seen.
  • JoeBlade 14 Jun 2021 21:40:56 6,195 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I ended up watching all of (i.e. the full 8 episodes) Jupiter's Legacy. The problem is that it starts off quite strong then plummets - as I've stated earlier - into a boring as fuck origin story. Not bad, just very very dull, enough to make me give up previously.

However, it gradually picks up again in the second half of the series and ended a lot better than I expected. So much that I think it's a shame it's been canned, although I won't exactly lose sleep over it either.

Both daughters are (still) annoying as fuck though.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 14 Jun 2021 21:56:30 19,729 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    If that was a strong start then the weak parts must be absolutely dire
  • creepiest-lizard 17 Jun 2021 09:25:44 2,885 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Second seaaon of Black summer is up.
    Liked the first one. It doesn't exactly do anything new with zombies but it had a really frenetic energy that worked and kind of interesting characters.
  • nickthegun 17 Jun 2021 10:03:59 87,514 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Record Of Ragnarok is up if anyone is desperate for more Baki/Kengan Asura style fighting tournament violence.
  • Mola_Ram 17 Jun 2021 10:07:44 26,052 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Record Of Ragnarok is up if anyone is desperate for more Baki/Kengan Asura style fighting tournament violence.
    I think I am, but Kengan Asura especially is so devoid of plot that it's almost boring. But I'll give it a go, thanks for highlighting it!
  • Mola_Ram 17 Jun 2021 11:06:05 26,052 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    And just watched the first episode.

Fucking hell they don't waste any time, do they. I think there's maybe 5 minutes of setup before getting to the fighting.
  • nickthegun 17 Jun 2021 11:10:10 87,514 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Im going to try and squeeze a couple in at lunch. Am anxious to see if they still have aphrodites big tit helpers.
  • Mola_Ram 17 Jun 2021 12:39:28 26,052 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ok, this is quite possibly the dumbest fucking thing I've ever seen.
  • Dougs 17 Jun 2021 12:43:34 100,274 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    But you're loving it, right?
  • Mola_Ram 17 Jun 2021 12:50:12 26,052 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sort of? Despite the earlier comment about them not wasting any time, there is still a bit of the "something shocking just happened, let's spend 5 minutes showing everyone's reaction to it" thing that anime does so well.

But then something spectacularly stupid happens and I wake up again.
  • nickthegun 17 Jun 2021 12:53:43 87,514 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Just watched a couple of episodes over lunch (Thor, God of Thunder Vs Lu Bu off the Dynasty Warrior games!). It is indeed the most route one of combat tournament anime's but sometimes thats all you need.

(aphrodite still does have comedy 'I dont know why you watch that shit' tits)

Edited by nickthegun at 12:55:49 17-06-2021
  • Mola_Ram 17 Jun 2021 12:55:16 26,052 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So far I like it more than Kengan Asura, but not as much as Baki.
  • nickthegun 17 Jun 2021 12:56:46 87,514 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Well, Baki does have a story of sorts. This has the concept and plot of a 90s fighting game.
  • Mola_Ram 17 Jun 2021 13:07:42 26,052 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, I'd never say that Baki has a great story or anything, but it's got something. Having a lot of manga story to fall back on helps, I guess.

This has just about the same level of story as KA, but the craziness makes it a bit less repetitive.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 13:13:51 17-06-2021
  • MrWonderstuff 17 Jun 2021 20:22:00 3,610 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    creepiest-lizard wrote:
    Second seaaon of Black summer is up.
    Liked the first one. It doesn't exactly do anything new with zombies but it had a really frenetic energy that worked and kind of interesting characters.
    On this I checked out episode 1. Not bad...quite gritty, not bad acting and a sense of the real world going to shit.
  • WrongShui 17 Jun 2021 22:40:00 6,854 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I can't wrap my head around how much better Black Summer is than anything else The Asylum have ever made.
  • planktonic 18 Jun 2021 16:09:45 50 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    On Becoming a God in Central Florida is exactly as good as its title is weird.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 18 Jun 2021 16:59:44 19,729 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @planktonic I hadn’t heard of it but the trailer looks great
  • planktonic 18 Jun 2021 18:04:35 50 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah. I’ve watched 6 eps, so far I like it. I believe it loses some steam but can’t judge yet.

For the uninitiated, 90s set, cultish Amway/Avon style pyramid scheme led by L-Ron-Hubbard-alike demands much from it’s naive, exploited “employees”. Leads to family/financial tragedy for Kirsten Dunst, after which she plots her revenge.

Kirsten Dunst is very good, a realist forced into action by circumstance. Imagine her Peggy role from Fargo, but this time is neither “touched” nor has her head in the clouds. Drama but errs towards comedy.

Edited by planktonic at 18:24:09 18-06-2021
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 18 Jun 2021 19:13:20 19,729 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The trailer gave me a bit of a Pynchon vibe but that could be miles off. I don’t have a big show on the go at the moment so I’ll probably pick it up over the weekend
  • creepiest-lizard 18 Jun 2021 19:23:52 2,885 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Another bloody show that sounds interesting and I now have to add to the list.
  • MrWonderstuff 19 Jun 2021 10:56:43 3,610 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    WrongShui wrote:
    I can't wrap my head around how much better Black Summer is than anything else The Asylum have ever made.
    I don't know anything about The Asylum...but after watching five more episodes this is my favourite zombie show. I loved one episode which concentrates on one poor guy as he tries to escape a rather persistant zombie...I kept thinking "yup I would do/feel/react much like he did". Feels more grounded than Walking Dead/Fear.
  • creepiest-lizard 20 Jun 2021 22:33:19 2,885 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Katla - season 1

A sci-fi gloomy drama type thing from Iceland in the vein of other Netflix shows like Dark and Equinox.
    Its set in a small town overlooked by the Katla volcano thats been slowly erupting for a while as everything is coated in ash and the town only has a few residents and scientists hanging on.
    Its very slow paced and measured but I liked that about it. It looks beautiful. The cinematography of the landscape and volcano is almost a character in itself and theres an aocalyptic air to the whole thing.
    The main story hook is when a naked girl emerges from a glacier thats just been uncovered and is identical to a girl that disappeared 20 years before but hasn't aged at all and has no memory of what happened to her.
    The central mystery is quite intriguing but it is all a bit grim as evrybody is in some way dealing with grief and loss.
    a classy well made show

8/10
  • frightlever 21 Jun 2021 08:03:28 1,524 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    planktonic wrote:
    On Becoming a God in Central Florida is exactly as good as its title is weird.
    Sadly it looks like it didn't get a second season. First in Fargo and now this, Kirsten Dunst ageing like a fine wine.

MrWonderstuff wrote:
    I don't know anything about The Asylum...but after watching five more episodes this is my favourite zombie show.
    Agreed. I really liked the first season but season 2 blew that out of the water. Helps if you were able to watch The Witcher without the timeskips melting your brain, which seemed to baffle a LOT of people.

Mola_Ram wrote:
    I think I am, but Kengan Asura especially is so devoid of plot that it's almost boring.
    Puhlease. Kengan Ashura is all about the evolution of Yamashita Kazuo, with some fisticuffs in the background.
  • PierrePressure 21 Jun 2021 11:48:39 1,472 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Enjoyed the Bo Burnham special, very clever, I've always liked his stuff but not something that generally gives me full on belly laughs.
  • askew 25 Jun 2021 11:11:18 24,015 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    That latest season of Master of None was really good. I thought the introduction of Naomi Ackie was done smoothly, and it didn't take long before I was invested in Alicia and Denise's story. There was dust in the eyes at several points.
  • nickthegun 25 Jun 2021 11:18:38 87,514 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Theres a new Godzilla cartoon that dropped yesterday. Godzilla: Singular Point.

Its very bold that for a show supposedly about godzilla im up to episode 4 and so far, no godzilla.
  • Mola_Ram 1 Jul 2021 08:25:00 26,052 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just watched the first episode of Devilman: Crybaby.

Well... that escalated quickly.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 1 Jul 2021 08:26:35 19,729 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Theres a new Godzilla cartoon that dropped yesterday. Godzilla: Singular Point.

Its very bold that for a show supposedly about godzilla im up to episode 4 and so far, no godzilla.
    Not enough Godzilla is the issue with so much modern Godzilla. Just give us monster fights guys.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.