DriveClub Page 3

• Widge Moderator 6 Sep 2013 12:21:14 13,858 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    As I stated before, I do love those lovely animated courses. After coming from Captain McStatic GT5, it is a totally different atmosphere.

With the handling being more arcadish, this could be a nice alternative to PGR type fun.

Cockpit view is nice, but balls to using that. I'd only consider it if I had Oculus.

Apparently has point to point races on it. Would like to see some of that next.
  • Gregolution 6 Sep 2013 13:35:45 9,419 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Please be good, please be good.

For some reason I have no faith this will be any good :(

If it's anything like PGR though, I'll play it for a long time.
  • Progguitarist 6 Sep 2013 13:39:01 10,778 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It looks very poor.
  • Gregolution 6 Sep 2013 13:46:42 9,419 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:
    It looks very poor.
    You say this a lot. I haven't seen enough gameplay to know one way or another, but it's a big ask for Evolution to come storming out of the gates with this type of game IMO.
  • Dombat 6 Sep 2013 15:06:35 1,613 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It doesn't look poor to me, but it doesn't look overly impressive either. I think the social and leaderboard aspects of the game will need to work well in order for it to not be one of those launch games that just get forgotten about in a couple of years.
  • Deleted user 6 September 2013 16:01:52
    Gregolution wrote:
    Progguitarist wrote:
    It looks very poor.
    You say this a lot. I haven't seen enough gameplay to know one way or another, but it's a big ask for Evolution to come storming out of the gates with this type of game IMO.
    Not really. The studio made its name on a series of brilliant World Rally Championship games - which I think were much better than the Motorstorm franchise. EVOS has plenty of experience of regular cars on twisty roads.

For me the game shows promise. I'll likely pick it up at the launch of PS4 because I'm a glutton for racing games. However there are still doubts and the UI is absolutely awful.
  • chrisno21 6 Sep 2013 16:10:20 2,169 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If the online competitive element is as fun and addictive as MotorstormRC then it'll be great. That was digital crack for a fair while after the vita launch.
  • Jmog 6 Sep 2013 23:52:42 470 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I tried Driveclub today at the IFA convention.

It's good. REALLY good.

Handling is much more sim-like than I expected. A slightly arcadey mix of Gran Turismo and Forza (more Forza than GT though) with the sense of speed of PGR. Graphics look great. The feeling of driving on a real road due to the details in surroundings, shadows and reflections don't come across through the screenshots. It looks so much better in motion when you are controlling the action.

Getting this for free with PS Plus (even though some tracks and cars are missing) just went from "that's pretty nice" to "this is a fantastic launch bonus and that full game upgrade will definetely be purchased".

Oh by the way: the sticks and triggers on the DS4 were awesome to use with Driveclub. Definetely the best gamepad I have ever tried and I prefered the X360 controller to the DS3.

Edited by Jmog at 23:53:11 06-09-2013

Edited by Jmog at 23:53:56 06-09-2013
  • Deleted user 7 September 2013 08:16:57
    In what way was it more like Forza than GT?
  • Jmog 7 Sep 2013 23:53:56 470 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Maturin

Difficult to explain. I haven't played as much GT as Forza, but I think Forza feels a bit less sim'y and more accessible in the steering than GT. It is hard to say for sure when I am basing it on only driving one car (Mercedes SLK) in Driveclub. All around if felt like a middleground of sim and arcade which to me at least was a very positive thing. Looking forward to playing it more.
  • Widge Moderator 9 Sep 2013 09:54:19 13,858 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    EuroStalker wrote:
    Do graphics in racing games matter? I tend to find after the initial course whizz through in racing games, the graphics become secondary.
    Depends. I play racing games for the joy of driving around wonderful circuits/roads. The more alive, the better.

I remember creating winding, long winded and gorgeous courses on Jaguar XJ220 way back in the day, so I could cruise around to the soundtrack (must check to see if that is on youtube).

The details are what suck you in, and GT has long been derided for being "static".
  • Deleted user 9 September 2013 11:06:44
    Jmog wrote:
    @Maturin

Difficult to explain. I haven't played as much GT as Forza, but I think Forza feels a bit less sim'y and more accessible in the steering than GT. It is hard to say for sure when I am basing it on only driving one car (Mercedes SLK) in Driveclub. All around if felt like a middleground of sim and arcade which to me at least was a very positive thing. Looking forward to playing it more.
    You might be surprised to hear FM4 has a more accurate physics simulation than GT5 thanks to its more detailed tire model. Polyphony has pretty much admitted this and that's why a more detailed tire model is going into GT6. The reason GT5 feels more simmy to many people is because it is more difficult - cars are hard to control at the edge of grip. And many folks (as I used to) think the harder it is, the more realistic it must be.

Gran Turismo creator Kazunori Yamauchi recently dispelled the myth of "hard = simmy" when discussing changes in GT6. He said cars shouldn't be difficult to drive. You'll probably find GT6 is much more forgiving on the edge of grip and won't seem as hard to drive as GT5, but this is because it will be more realistic, not less so.
  • DrDamn 12 Sep 2013 12:29:08 1,216 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Better quality versions on the 1080p Youtube vids on Gamersyde ...

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_high_quality_videos_of_driveclub-14585_en.html

Also worth noting a comment from the game director Rushy on GAF post release ...

"This footage is from Gamescom. We've since implemented a new anti-aliasing solution which helps significantly with picture quality and reducing the number of 'jaggies' present on screen."

I think we'll see this game come on leaps and bounds as we approach release. Doubt they will get to 60fps but I think the dynamic lighting and more arcade gameplay is a decent enough trade off.

NB: The Gamersyde vids can be downloaded directly to your PS3 as MP4 files for your viewing pleasure.

Edited by DrDamn at 12:33:14 12-09-2013
  • CosmicFuzz 12 Sep 2013 12:34:37 32,585 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Or he's making promises to try and stop people from not buying it :p

I'll be getting the PS+ version for sure, not really into sim driving games but enjoy a nice arcadey racer. Will be interesting to see how it turns out.
  • Scimarad 12 Sep 2013 20:59:46 9,617 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I really hope that anti-aliasing thing is true; I found the jaggies and the shimmer around the wing mirror REALLY distracting in that video. If there was anything that bugged me about the car models in GT5 it's those horrible white shimmering seams.
  • CosmicFuzz 12 Sep 2013 22:28:49 32,585 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hmm. Just watched one of the videos, and tbh it doesn't look like anything that couldn't be done on current consoles.
  • Deleted user 12 September 2013 22:31:09
    Looks pretty generic.

/slaps hand over mouth
  • Scimarad 13 Sep 2013 07:31:02 9,617 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yeah, seems about right:)
  • HisDudness 13 Sep 2013 10:54:31 1,659 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
  • MrTomFTW Best Moderator, 2016 13 Sep 2013 11:04:18 47,497 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    They must be the brightest brake lights in the world to shine on the floor like that.
  • HisDudness 13 Sep 2013 11:42:17 1,659 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ...earlier in that race:
  • Widge Moderator 13 Sep 2013 12:17:47 13,858 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It'll tie people over I suppose until:

Gran Turismo creator Kazunori Yamauchi has been talking to Japanese mag Famitsu Yamauchi about a PS4 title in the series and when we can expect it:

“The PlayStation 4 game, which we’ll likely call GT 7, will be done in about a year or two”

“We can have a forum system in the game and have gamers use that to communicate each other, but unless you go back home and turn on your PS3, you have no idea what’s going on. That’s a pointless time lag to have, isn’t it? It’d be better if you could use your mobile device to see what’s happening with your friends and community”

“Someday I’d like to try making the game playable on mobile devices, but we’re starting out just with community tools for now. Technically it’s possible, but it’ll be a gradual sort of thing.”
  • Widge Moderator 13 Sep 2013 12:18:14 13,858 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Hmm. Just watched one of the videos, and tbh it doesn't look like anything that couldn't be done on current consoles.
    Car game, yes, but at that fidelity?
  • Gregolution 13 Sep 2013 13:30:58 9,419 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Watched some of those vids from gamescom.. I quite like how much dynamic feedback you get about beating other players times / drifts etc. It might not look next gen graphically (yet) but it looks like next gen auto log at least ;)

Still hoping on this... would love a decent racer at release.
  • Widge Moderator 13 Sep 2013 14:08:04 13,858 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think the "freeness" of it will help. Not going to lie, can't imagine I'd punt out money for this unless I was screaming for PS4 games. Not unless it would get a mass of critical reception behind it. Lump it in with PSN+ and then I'm there.

That's where I like PSN+ though, I end up playing stuff I wouldn't buy. Sine Mora, Thomas Was Alone...
  • CosmicFuzz 13 Sep 2013 14:21:04 32,585 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Dunno, just didn't seem very next gen compared to other titles. Killzone for instance looks stunning.
  • Widge Moderator 13 Sep 2013 15:02:06 13,858 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Widge wrote:
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Dunno, just didn't seem very next gen compared to other titles. Killzone for instance looks stunning.
    I just use GT5 as a benchmark. The actual backgrounds feel much more alive to me. The way the light moves, the wildlife, wind. I'm more of an experience driver I think, I love all that sort of flashy stuff. In fact, I'd prefer it dumped into some extravagant version of Outrun or something. Massive long road race through many different types of scenery.
  • CosmicFuzz 13 Sep 2013 15:03:56 32,585 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Widge wrote:
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    I just use GT5 as a benchmark. The actual backgrounds feel much more alive to me. The way the light moves, the wildlife, wind. I'm more of an experience driver I think, I love all that sort of flashy stuff. In fact, I'd prefer it dumped into some extravagant version of Outrun or something. Massive long road race through many different types of scenery.
    Fair do, that kind of stuff does sound good to me. Will definitely be picking it up so will see how it fares. I did think the rolling hills looked nice tbf.
  • Rodderz 13 Sep 2013 20:10:08 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The video that relates to those Gif's HisDudness posted above is on Gamersyde now; DriveClub: Dusk racing in Chile. Finally, a chance to see a new track!

Edited by Rodriguez at 20:10:25 13-09-2013

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.