Now TV Page 5

• AaronTurner 18 Aug 2015 10:59:33 10,935 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The worst support I've encountered. I sent an email to them telling them they can stuff their Sky vouchers in the end, it wasn't worth my time.
  • mothercruncher 18 Aug 2015 12:04:16 16,198 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @brewer
    Ta, shall give it a whirl.
  • Jimez 18 Aug 2015 16:55:38 392 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've only had a few issues with NowTV, and that was the app decided to keep checking for updates and prompting me to restart the app. Had to re-install to fix the issue, slight annoyance. But other than that, i quite enjoy the choice of the extra channels with Freeview.
  • Banyans 22 Aug 2015 09:46:48 468 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just had a bizzare moment, I got a day pass for sky sports last weekend to watch the rugby and I thought id do it again today. But ive just opened the Now Tv app on apple tv and its letting me watch it without a pass, first I thought crap have I got a monthly pass? but not according to my purchase history on apple or now tv. So is this a free weekend? I couldnt find anything about it online.

Edit: stand down everyone, issue resolved.
    In short I am a tool.

Edited by Banyans at 09:57:04 22-08-2015
  • Banyans 22 Aug 2015 09:47:19 468 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Dougs 22 Aug 2015 10:38:24 89,132 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    You can't leave it like that, we need to know how much of a tool!
  • Dougs 30 Sep 2015 10:38:29 89,132 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Very crafty Sky. Send me an email telling me I have a one month promo for Movies, which of course I ignore. Only to find that they directly apply it to your account anyway and then charge you if you don't cancel. Time to have a moan!
  • Deleted user 30 September 2015 10:51:10
    CUNTS
    U
    N
    T
    S
  • mothercruncher 30 Sep 2015 12:26:24 16,198 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    There's no way they can make that stick, if you didn't actually opt into it.
    Of course, they make money by being cunty and enough people not noticing.
  • Dougs 30 Sep 2015 22:49:47 89,132 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I was quite gobsmacked tbh. Would no doubt have been something in the ts and cs that missed allowing them to do this. Only realised when son was browsing and tried to start a film, only for it to work.
  • mothercruncher 2 Oct 2015 10:12:56 16,198 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just trying to cancel with the "it's too expensive" option.
    Apparently, they don't want me to miss out, which is nice of them, so they've offered me a special price of...

... 5.99 a month.

Cunting cunts.
    I can go into Tesco and get a three month pass, alongside a bloody Roku box for 15 if I time it right.
  • mrpon 2 Oct 2015 10:28:25 35,211 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Been looking at those Roku3 boxes, I think the wife would love the headphone remote idea. Plus I like the instant Netflix/YouTube buttons.
  • Dougs 2 Oct 2015 14:55:06 89,132 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Can you still side-load Plex with the new NowTV boxes?

NowTV were a bit baffled as to how the trial was activated. Best guess is that my son did it from within the app, but I'm not convinced. Have turned on the payment pin anyway, just in case (missed that, whoops)
  • Deleted user 10 February 2016 09:25:56
    I'd like to repeat the question from Dougs, please. I've noticed Amazon have a NowTV box with either 4 months Movies or 6 months Entertainment for 18.99. What else can I do with the box? Run Netflix? Amazon Prime? I've seen there's a developer mode but I get the impression not all apps work.

I'm currently a Sky customer who watches a bit of Entertainment and F1 so the 39 a month I'm charged for that seems a bit steep. I'm considering going for NowTV with occasional Sports passes and Entertainment bundles. I'm assuming when I ring up to cancel they'll offer me a much reduce price to stay but if they don't, would NowTV be a decent replacement?
  • Dougs 10 Feb 2016 09:28:12 89,132 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Plex works I think. No Netflix or Amazon AFAIK, but has iPlayer etc on.
  • mrpon 10 Feb 2016 09:44:00 35,211 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah Plex works, but you have to jump through a few hoops to install it.
  • Dougs 10 Feb 2016 09:44:56 89,132 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Thanks for the heads up too, going to pick up a few of those boxes!
  • Deleted user 10 February 2016 10:18:08
    Thanks both of you.

With those box deals with inclusive packages, do you get a code you enter into an existing account? Is it fairly easy to register/unregister devices? I only ask as their website obviously wants you to buy full price things from them and they wouldn't let me use my normal email account because I already had a Sky account on that address, which seemed a bit stupid but is typical Sky arse-ery.
  • Dougs 10 Feb 2016 10:22:24 89,132 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yeah, you just redeem the code that comes in the box. If you're stacking them up, you can't apply another code until less than a month is left on the other one or something. I use my usual Sky account iirc. You can have 4 devices registered at any one time but can only change one a month.

Picked up a 6 month and a 4 month movie box. I can now replace the old box in the bedroom.

Edited by Dougs at 10:23:03 10-02-2016
  • Deleted user 10 February 2016 10:41:13
    Sounds alright then, thanks. I think it was because I wanted a free trial to see what it was like so they were being difficult about registering a NowTV account. Now to do battle with Sky's retention department and possibly buy a NowTV box.
  • oceanmotion 17 Oct 2016 20:12:47 17,358 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Anyone got one of those Now TV Smart boxes that have freeview built in?

Thinking of getting one over a standard freeview box as the built in TV digital is long in the tooth and slow as hell. Not going to pay Sky for another room option either.
  • Deleted user 17 October 2016 20:14:16
    Yes I have. I don't use the Freeview capability though as I've got a Humax box for recording. Any streaming though is fantastic on the NowTV box
  • oceanmotion 19 Oct 2016 14:46:35 17,358 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Cool, thanks. I watched a few Youtube videos of people showing it off. Seems fine. Cancelled Sky TV recently so just want to see if there is any good replacements out there and for another room too with shitty digital built in. You forget how bloody expensive Sky is when you realise how less your free of Sky TV bill is going to be eventually. They didn't offer any good deals but they may come back with one before getting cutting off. Honestly the biggest miss would be Sky+ and box sets. Think the Entertainment pass has box sets though. Been spoiled by recordings and everything is shit compared to the Sky+HD UI. Won't cave unless I see a good deal though.
  • Dougs 19 Oct 2016 14:51:30 89,132 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    You soon get used to watching without recordings - although I do occassionally miss the start of new series or programmes as I don't watch any adverts - I rely on here/Twitter to tell me about new worthy stuff! NowTV UI is fine, if a bit laggy here and there. No different to the Sky+ boxes then...
  • CompetitiveDad 19 Oct 2016 16:10:53 8,150 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:
    Anyone got one of those Now TV Smart boxes that have freeview built in?

Thinking of getting one over a standard freeview box as the built in TV digital is long in the tooth and slow as hell. Not going to pay Sky for another room option either.
    I Picked one up and it's nice to be able to have standard tv along with Now tv however be aware that the now tv remote doesn't have numbers on so you can't change channels this way and do have to scroll up or down until you find what you want which is a bit of an oversight and ball ache to be honest.
    They do come with a four month cinema pass or a five month entertainment pass. So I think its pretty good value.

Picture quality is excellent
  • oceanmotion 19 Oct 2016 16:23:05 17,358 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Does it fast scroll if you hold the button or is it press, press, press again?
  • Dougs 19 Oct 2016 16:31:39 89,132 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Assume the freeview stuff is only over aerial? I don't have an aerial in my front room (or want one). But if it's streamed too (much like the Sky channels...)
  • Deleted user 19 October 2016 16:38:28
    Yep only over aerial for Freeview (other than catch up natch)
  • oceanmotion 19 Oct 2016 16:39:36 17,358 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Freeview stuff is aerial only and rest of the channels through the passes are all streamed.

I do wonder why someone hasn't done a box like that because there is that catchup TV site that is all streaming.

EDIT - Looking again at TVCatchup, they don't have too many decent channels, maybe they did before or not.

Edited by oceanmotion at 16:43:00 19-10-2016

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.