A Realm Reborn ó Final Fantasy XIV 2.0 Page 48

• Steve-Perry 3 May 2020 18:27:29 1,483 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    You'll get used to it. Everything is structured in a very easy way. Can be overwhelming at first.

Stopped playing a while ago as it just felt like all the new content was a reskin. The core gameplay never really changes, which is fine if you like it, but I got really bored of dancing in and out of glowing circles and mashing a few buttons. Oh and doing all those repetitive daily quests and such. No thanks.

Up until that point of fatigue though it's a very good game and well worth the £20.

Edited by Steve-Perry at 18:28:25 03-05-2020
  • Graxlar_v3 3 May 2020 18:29:19 10,217 posts
    Seen 14 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I stopped playing about 8 months ago because my character was at the thin edge of the wedge and healing some of the latest dungeons/trials was too stressful and I had a mini meltdown 😂😂😂
  • Steve-Perry 3 May 2020 18:32:11 1,483 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Healer is the most fun job IMO.

Best policy is to have one of each of the three main types to keep it interesting.

It's crap that there is no support category in the game. RDM was so much fun in FFXI.

I also didn't like the dev cycle of grind your ass off for amazing gear, then a new patch or expansion comes out and the only thing that equipment is good for is glamouring and epeen.

Nothing feels earned in that game. It's all very superficial.
  • JoelStinty 3 May 2020 18:33:43 8,924 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    @JoelStinty what class have you chosen to start with?

There are three main roles, tank healer and dps.

Tanks have the hardest job -staying alive, keeping the enemies attention on themselves, dictating the speed on play

Healers have the most resource oriantsted job and they have to focus on keeping the tanks alive and avoiding AOEís. You donít have a great amount of things to remember but it is about making sure your heals are constantly ready and you have basic attacks to do in downtimeís. If a healer fucks up, itís a wipe - so although it is not the hardest it is the most important.

DPS have probably got the easiest job - keeping their attack chains going and not getting hit by mechanics.

You are not locked into any class/job so if you donít like one, try out another.

What level are you?
    I'm super early game. Level 1. Only done the three introductory quests so haven't even got to learning about classes etc yet. Started with a gladiator build I think (can't remember already haha - just your typical sword guy) Will have a play with it all over the coming weeks. Think this (As well as Animal Crossing) will be by time sink games.
  • Steve-Perry 3 May 2020 18:35:05 1,483 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Once this gets its hooks in you won't be playing anything else for a while.
  • Graxlar_v3 3 May 2020 18:37:59 10,217 posts
    Seen 14 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah I put about 600 hours in before I cut it out l. Itís a game you can easily just put 3 hours a night into without realising as itís mostly a very chilled experience.
  • The12thMonkey 3 May 2020 20:23:43 566 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @JoelStinty A Realm Reborn, which is the story running from 2.0 (the very start where you're at) to the end of patch 2.5 (just before the first expansion, Heavensward), is about to get an overhaul in the next major patch, cutting out a chunk of the filler and generally streamlining some other quests.

The patch has been delayed somewhat due to Covid, but the starting experience may change a fair bit while you're in the middle of it.
    They're also adding flying to the original areas, which is nice.

Gladiator (becomes Paladin) is a tank. If DPS is more your thing, you have a choice of Thaumaturge (Black Mage) and Pugilist (Monk) in your home city, and hitting a reasonably early stage in the main story (about level 10) will let you change to other classes / jobs. And by about level 15, you visit places where other classes / jobs can be unlocked.
  • JoelStinty 3 May 2020 21:32:07 8,924 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @The12thMonkey thanks for all the information. Sounds like you can pick and choose on a whim what you want to be which is cool. Nice to see a game with that flexibility
  • The12thMonkey 3 May 2020 21:43:36 566 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    You can play every single class (including crafting and gathering) if you fancy it!
  • Steve-Perry 3 May 2020 22:29:15 1,483 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    JoelStinty wrote:
    @The12thMonkey thanks for all the information. Sounds like you can pick and choose on a whim what you want to be which is cool. Nice to see a game with that flexibility
    Later on, with weapons and such, you will need to pick one or two as currency is limited. But you're a way off that. Just play around and enjoy it all. It's a lovely experience if you're a FF fan
  • AccidentProne 8 Jun 2020 11:56:11 1,375 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've been playing this for a couple of weeks, since the base game was free on PS4 recently. Thinking about buying the expansion as it's currently 40% off, but a bit worried about it taking over my life like WoW did...

Currently level 25 with a healer for dungeons and DPS for quests etc. Just wondering, how much more complex it gets later in the game? Is healing raids and harder content doable on a PS4 controller? I'm quite surprised how well it's working so far, but I probably haven't really scratched the surface yet.
  • Steve-Perry 8 Jun 2020 11:58:03 1,483 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    A controller is absolutely fine. You'll be mashing the same 3-4 buttons and running around for most fights.

I think a KB/M is optimal if you're a super hardcore raider type person, but I did pretty much everything with a controller.

The game has been designed around them and with console in mind.
  • AccidentProne 8 Jun 2020 12:02:28 1,375 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Cool, thanks. Been managing fine so far with a controller and a cheap Bluetooth keyboard for chat.
  • Steve-Perry 8 Jun 2020 12:05:17 1,483 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    There are extreme and savage fights which I managed to do just fine on controller.

As for it taking over your life, well, it is an MMO..

Having said that, it's easy to get to endgame and you don't have to grind really. Depends on your personality type really and how far you want to go with it.
  • ZuluHero 8 Jun 2020 12:13:10 8,926 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It's a great game though - have been playing a trial with a friend.

We're looking at extending it now with the starter edition, which I believe is just the base Realm Reborn game?

Is that ok, or is it worth getting all the expansions now? Do you miss anything major between 20-50 by not having all the expansions?

We don't know how much we'll play it after a month, we just fancied a bit more after the free trial has ended.
  • The12thMonkey 8 Jun 2020 12:17:47 566 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @ZuluHero Stormblood gives you access to two more jobs - Samurai and Red Mage, and makes them available to all players after the conclusion of the 2.0 story (so, the first couple of level 50 missions). Unlike some other jobs, I think both of these feel really good at 50 with their core rotations available from the off.

However, Heavensward is the 1st expansion in the list, so if you did make it through the (currently sloggy 2.x quests - due to be streamlined in July's patch 5.3), you'd need that one to continue.

Edited by The12thMonkey at 12:20:12 08-06-2020
  • Ddanno 8 Jun 2020 12:29:27 1,595 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    You're likely a long way from needing any of the expansions, as they are gated behind the main story quest (so you aren't really missing anything). I'd make the decision later, rather than sinking the cash in now
  • ZuluHero 8 Jun 2020 12:32:39 8,926 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    That was our opinion - it's a big investment, both time and money, we're enjoying it now but don't know where we will be in a month. I presume you still get a 'free' month subscription with the starter edition?

Thanks for the info guys!
  • Graxlar_v3 8 Jun 2020 12:40:52 10,217 posts
    Seen 14 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    AccidentProne wrote:
    I've been playing this for a couple of weeks, since the base game was free on PS4 recently. Thinking about buying the expansion as it's currently 40% off, but a bit worried about it taking over my life like WoW did...

Currently level 25 with a healer for dungeons and DPS for quests etc. Just wondering, how much more complex it gets later in the game? Is healing raids and harder content doable on a PS4 controller? I'm quite surprised how well it's working so far, but I probably haven't really scratched the surface yet.
    I did everything upto 5.1 with a healer using ps4 pad. Including all the raids. Itís mental and you need to be quite dexterous but itís very doable
  • Graxlar_v3 8 Jun 2020 12:42:55 10,217 posts
    Seen 14 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Steve-Perry wrote:
    A controller is absolutely fine. You'll be mashing the same 3-4 buttons and running around for most fights.

I think a KB/M is optimal if you're a super hardcore raider type person, but I did pretty much everything with a controller.

The game has been designed around them and with console in mind.
    Being a healer on a pad you will need to remember a lot of paths to icons. L1, R1 L1 than R1 and R1 than L1 then face and pad buttons. I used about 90% of them in raids and it was a lot of mental gymnastics keeping it all together. Fun though.
  • Steve-Perry 8 Jun 2020 12:46:25 1,483 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    @Graxlar_v3 I used to play SCH and it was a harder to keep an eye on who needed healing really. The actual buttons were just muscle memory after a while.

I haven't played in 2 years though so I can't really remember. I don't remember it being hard to do anything on a pad.

The last content I did was all the Stormblood endgame stuff. Pretty fun.

Edited by Steve-Perry at 12:47:04 08-06-2020
  • AccidentProne 8 Jun 2020 13:00:21 1,375 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I struggled with targeting for the first couple of dungeons, but think I've got the hang of it now. So far I've only one managed to let one of my party die, but got him back up with a quickcast rez, so I think they forgave me.

Decided I'm going to pick up the expansions, as they're only £22 at the moment, even if I can't get into the content for a while.
  • Steve-Perry 8 Jun 2020 13:02:08 1,483 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    £22 is really good value. You'll get hundreds of hours out of it. Worth every penny.
  • ZuluHero 8 Jun 2020 13:05:25 8,926 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @AccidentProne Out of interest where did you see it for £22?
  • AccidentProne 8 Jun 2020 13:21:25 1,375 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    That's on PSN, as you're doing the trial, I assume you're on PC?
  • ZuluHero 8 Jun 2020 13:46:10 8,926 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    yeah PC. Cross platform though isn't it? Suppose I could get it there, but not sure if i'll be able to transfer my chracter?
  • AccidentProne 8 Jun 2020 13:53:56 1,375 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    On PSN the complete edition is only £27, which comes with all the expansions by the looks of it. I think you'd need to get that if you don't pick up the starter edition when it was free a few weeks back.

Not sure whether characters transfer between PC and PS4 though.
  • Ddanno 8 Jun 2020 16:07:51 1,595 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    AccidentProne wrote:
    On PSN the complete edition is only £27, which comes with all the expansions by the looks of it. I think you'd need to get that if you don't pick up the starter edition when it was free a few weeks back.

Not sure whether characters transfer between PC and PS4 though.
    Your characters are tied to your account, so you can switch between the two to your heart's content on a single subscription
  • ZuluHero 8 Jun 2020 16:33:45 8,926 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    So just so i'm clear - if I've been playing the trial and I get the PS4 version I should be able to carry on with my PC trial character?

- Do I need to link my PSN account to my Square account?
    - Do I need a PS+ sub to play?
    - Can I still use a KB for chat on PS4?
  • Ddanno 8 Jun 2020 16:49:17 1,595 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yes
    No
    Yes, usb works. I haven't tried Bluetooth

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.