PSN Plus needed to play games online Page 2

Next Last
  • AaronTurner 11 Jun 2013 13:04:08 10,931 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    If the charge for online play comes in tandem with an investment in sony's online infrastructure then I don't mind paying for it. Xbox excels far in advance in this area at moment.
  • Deleted user 11 June 2013 13:08:27
    If PSN on PS4 has party-esque options and all the other standard Live stuff, then good.*

*Minus paywalls for apps.
  • andijames 11 Jun 2013 13:10:27 2,894 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well they've stated that there's no paywall for the apps haven't they? I still can't work out why Microsoft make you pay for a gold sub to let you watch sky which you're already paying for :/ Arses.

Hopefully the whole infrastructure around communication will be easier too. I just hope they bring out a keyboard for the pad again! Saves typing being a pain in the rear.
  • teamHAM 11 Jun 2013 13:12:30 3,794 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    As someone who has been paying for Xbox Live every year for almost 10 years, I'm literally shitting myself in excitement over getting PS Plus and getting something extra for my money, rather than a message on my birthday saying I've won 19p worth of Microsoft Points.
  • NotSoSlim 11 Jun 2013 13:12:46 3,179 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    PS4 has cross game chat too apparently
  • Garfy 11 Jun 2013 13:19:06 1,372 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @PenguinJim Actually Demon's Souls is on instant game collection right now for June.
  • Zomoniac 11 Jun 2013 13:27:07 10,019 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    If PSN on PS4 has party-esque options and all the other standard Live stuff, then good.*

*Minus paywalls for apps.
    Overview of some of those options:
  • HiddenAway 11 Jun 2013 13:32:54 15,147 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @PenguinJim Demon's Souls is out for Plus in Europe right now.
  • Whizzo 11 Jun 2013 13:38:42 44,793 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    If anyone has a PS3 now and doesn't have PS Plus I'd question their sanity, especially as GAME were doing 12 month codes not that long ago for 20 quid.

It's the best value proposition in gaming, sure you may not get something every month that you want but you'll get so much that's you'll easily get your money's worth.
  • Widge Moderator 11 Jun 2013 13:42:59 13,858 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @PenguinJim no, it is there now, only just appeared! Unless you are talking USA?
  • Syrette 11 Jun 2013 14:12:13 50,224 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    My 2 pennys:

I do subscribe to PS+. It's a good service, obviously.

However... I rent almost all of my games. This saves me insane amounts of money - I can pretty much get and complete anything I want for 125 a year via Lovefilm.

So if anything takes my fancy, I'll have it on my rental list and get it well before it would go on PS+. No putting off buying something in the expectation it'll eventually end up on PS+. As such, I'm tempted not to subscribe in the future as it's not worth as much to me as it is to others.

So tl;dr forcing me to get it is a backwards step and a real shame as I was really hoping I could stop paying for things like this with the next gen (as I won't be back on XBL).

Oh well. Disappointing.
  • Syrette 11 Jun 2013 14:18:51 50,224 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:
    If anyone has a PS3 now and doesn't have PS Plus I'd question their sanity, especially as GAME were doing 12 month codes not that long ago for 20 quid.

It's the best value proposition in gaming, sure you may not get something every month that you want but you'll get so much that's you'll easily get your money's worth.
    Broken record here but the best value proposition in console gaming is renting.

I think it's simply a case of ignorance to think and say otherwise.

Lovefilm is the best thing that's happened to me as a gamer.
  • andijames 11 Jun 2013 14:21:50 2,894 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    Whizzo wrote:

I guess you're happy that you can rent games on the PS4 then? Personally i find the PS+ a bargain (usually 30 a year for me) and have played a lot of games i would have otherwise missed or ignored.

Each to their own thou :)
  • imamazed 11 Jun 2013 14:24:26 6,393 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I tried lovefilm but it wasn't for me.

Undeniably good value, but in order to make the most of it, on the lowest package, I would have to complete two games a month. That doesn't sound a lot, but I just didn't have the time some months, and found I wasn't making the most of games in order to get through them.
  • Syrette 11 Jun 2013 14:28:35 50,224 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    andijames wrote:

I guess you're happy that you can rent games on the PS4 then? Personally i find the PS+ a bargain (usually 30 a year for me) and have played a lot of games i would have otherwise missed or ignored.

Each to their own thou :)
    I'm delighted I can rent games om it. Would have been a big issue for me if I couldn't. MS more or less lost any chance of me getting a One when they announced it would support rentals at launch.

Again PS+ is brilliant, it's just not as good value to me as it is to others and I think Lovefilm et al are better value for money - depending on how many games you complete over a certain period of time and/or whether you prefer to own your games.
  • Whizzo 11 Jun 2013 14:36:35 44,793 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Syrette wrote:Broken record here but the best value proposition in console gaming is renting.
    You can't rent download games.

You also have to return rental games, as long as you've got them on your account you keep PS+ titles for as long as you sub.

I've paid 50 quid for 24 months of PS+, that is a bargain no matter the fact I also have Lovefilm so can rent too but you don't always get what you want when you want it either so it's not perfect in any way.

Edited by Whizzo at 14:39:15 11-06-2013
  • frugtkompot 11 Jun 2013 20:08:20 2,829 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Playstation Plus is just another way of renting, really. Or used to be. Now it looks like you're also playing for "access".

Here in Denmark you already need a PS Plus subscription to access certain streaming services, so the "paywall for apps" is coming. I'm puzzled by how they justify this, as it's clearly playing directly into the hands of Apple, Roku etc. with their simple, elegant and intuitive small boxes. Would they rather people use that than their consoles - goes for both MS and Sony.

I'm a satisfied subscriber of Playstation Plus, but only because I have the time to play through my free games. If I no longer have that time, I'd feel very sad to leave Sony's platform because I can't use it for the occasional multiplayer game. Right now there's no alternative, but as Sony and MS seem to be convinced that subscription is necessary to run a sound business model, they're also indirectly building a dogma that is ripe for disruption.

We'll see what happens over the course of the next generation. Either way, I'm very happy that Sony seems laser-focused to build a system that allow games from small and large companies alike to compete on an equal footing. I imagine we'll be playing a lot more indie console games than we ever have before.
  • Deleted user 11 June 2013 20:14:38
    I can see why this would annoy some. I stopped paying for Xbox Live over a year ago and haven't looked back. I don't play online games very often, so this doesn't really affect me. That said, if I got some free games out of the deal I might consider it.
  • matrim83 11 Jun 2013 20:23:46 5,696 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Doesnt really matter much to me. Been paying for XBLG for 3+ years now. Will just put that money towards PSN+ when I make the switch to next gen.

Conveniently my XBL gold runs out January next year.
  • GamesConnoisseur 11 Jun 2013 20:24:18 433 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    People don't always appreciate that nothing is free, costs of online infrastructure, servers, etc, I m happy subscriber of PSN+ and Gold, the first provide great extra contents and freebies which Microsoft need to emulate or losing members.

Don't like it? Wii U or PC offer you alternative, and adding other issue, its not true that PS4 doesn't have any DRM, as today Sony clarified that third party publishers may decide to make such restrictions for used games.

Yet everywhere we see PS4 headlined as no used game block as cited as a reason to get over rival system. Can we please try be factual?!! On top of EG website you can still see misleading information!!

However, I hope people will give PSN+ and PS4 a good chance to provide its value for service as its been a great first year of PSN+ and would get better with PS4 I expect even with online gaming as part of equation.
  • Psiloc 16 Jun 2013 09:57:10 5,065 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    Whizzo wrote:

It's more expensive and you get fewer games that you have to give back, right? You might get games closer to their release date sure but better value it most certainly is not.

Anyway. If BC via Gaikai is part of PS Plus, like it most certainly will be, then the online multiplayer part will just be a bit of value on the side for me as I find very little joy playing against anonymous strangers over the Internet. Might change my mind depending on how this focus on 'real' friends pans out.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.