Playstation 4: Third Party Publishers can prevent 'Used' sales ....

• TipTop 11 Jun 2013 19:39:52 763 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Taken from Engadget:

Engadget

"There's gonna be free-to-play, there's gonna be every potential business model on there, and again, that's up to their relationship with the consumer, what do they think is going to put them in the best fit. We're not going to dictate that, we're gonna give them a platform to publish on. The DRM decision is going to have to be answered by the third parties, it's not something we're going to control, or dictate, or mandate, or implement."

So how does everyone feel now? To think Sony would have cleaned up their act in a single generation!

Flame on fellow gamers!
  • neilka 11 Jun 2013 19:42:16 22,660 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE ANY MORE
  • Deleted user 11 June 2013 19:43:35
    sounds like they have the same control they have on current gen, online passes and the like
  • RobTheBuilder 11 Jun 2013 19:44:21 6,976 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    To be fair it's not different to now, which is what they said.

It also means we still own our games, can play offline, etc.

Also, EA and others have backed away from things like online passes. I hope that continues.
  • stevethemeat 11 Jun 2013 19:44:26 920 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just cancelled my pre-order and made my missus have an abortion.
  • jimlufc 11 Jun 2013 19:44:52 125 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They can't stop you playing a single player game offline though can they. So its the same as the current gen unlike the Xbox One.
  • Deleted user 11 June 2013 19:45:38
    The good: Us gamers can pick and choose the publishers that do this and choose to ignore them.

The bad: Sony did sort of lie about this on stage.
  • Deleted user 11 June 2013 19:45:40
    we already have a PS4 thread, this thread is almost certainly going to get closed so...

• Whizzo 11 Jun 2013 19:45:52 44,793 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    It's exactly the same situation as today for PS3 and 360, there's no story here.
  • RobTheBuilder 11 Jun 2013 19:47:03 6,976 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @SG59 no thy didn't. They said no new drm. There is no new drm. Publishers choose exactly as they do now.
  • Deleted user 11 June 2013 19:48:50
    Not so sure. No smoke without fire tbh, they're stealthing something on us.
  • altitude2k 11 Jun 2013 19:49:17 5,238 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @RobTheBuilder He says that publishers can choose to add DRM.

You're safe with first party, though.

Edit: I see you said "new"....carry on.

Edited by altitude2k at 19:52:01 11-06-2013
  • Deleted user 11 June 2013 19:50:23
    @RobTheBuilder Wording is everything, they did say it in a way that implies there was none.

Edited by SG59 at 19:52:46 11-06-2013
  • Deleted user 11 June 2013 19:52:33
    http://www.gamefront.com/sony-third-party-drm-refers-to-playing-used-games-online-only/

'The Online Pass program for PlayStation first-party games will not continue on PlayStation 4. Similar to PS3, we will not dictate the online used game strategy (the ability to play used games online) of its publishing partners. As announced last night, PS4 will not have any gating restrictions for used disc-based games. When a gamer buys a PS4 disc they have right to use that copy of the game, so they can trade-in the game at retail, sell it to another person, lend it to a friend, or keep it forever.'
  • altitude2k 11 Jun 2013 19:53:01 5,238 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Kinda expecting full-game passes now, rather than just online.
  • Deleted user 11 June 2013 19:57:23
    Can we close this thread?

How many times do we need to talk about this.
  • RobTheBuilder 11 Jun 2013 19:58:08 6,976 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @SG59 the wording was pretty clear. "There will be no new drm measures"
  • Feanor 11 Jun 2013 19:58:56 14,272 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Interesting that they abandoned their online pass program for games like Uncharted 3. I guess it was more trouble than it was worth.
  • frugtkompot 11 Jun 2013 19:59:06 2,829 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm fine with that. Sony wants to deliver a platform. What image a publisher builds for themselves isn't Sony's responsibility.

And anyway, they've opened up for a lot of indie self-publishing, so there is potential for publisher disruption if companies like EA pursue too gamer-hostile methods.
  • AaronTurner 11 Jun 2013 20:06:14 11,138 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    jimlufc wrote:
    They can't stop you playing a single player game offline though can they. So its the same as the current gen unlike the Xbox One.
    Yes they can, one time activation online to access the game.

But that could be done now, so nothing has changed, yet...
  • Deleted user 11 June 2013 20:11:32
    This is how it should be if we have to deal with DRM. Now we can all decide which games we want to support. If those games with DRM (likely EA titles, those fuckers) just drop off after launch, EA and other publishers will be forced to discontinue using DRM or the games will flop.

Voting with your wallet has never been more important.
  • matrim83 11 Jun 2013 20:11:52 5,696 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    stevethemeat wrote:
    Just cancelled my pre-order and made my missus have an abortion.
    You fucker. You are cleaning up my monitor. :D
  • Triggerhappytel 11 Jun 2013 20:43:04 2,696 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Feanor wrote:
    Interesting that they abandoned their online pass program for games like Uncharted 3. I guess it was more trouble than it was worth.
    Yeah, maybe EA's decision to abandon the online pass program really was led by feedback indicating it wasn't working rather than their planning on implementing something even worse. I never really minded the online pass, but I won't mind seeing the back of it. I think we'll probably just see microtransactions in fucking everything, so publishers will plan to earn money that was from the second hand market.
  • Triggerhappytel 11 Jun 2013 20:45:02 2,696 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    EpicBoot2daFace wrote:
    Voting with your wallet has never been more important.
    This should be forcibly tattooed on the forehead of everyone planning on buying an Xbox One.
  • SeesThroughAll 14 Jun 2013 16:02:39 1,689 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @SG59
    The bad: Sony did sort of lie about this on stage.
    No, they did not lie. This is already the case on the PS3. Publishers can do whatever they want, but the console itself does not have the infrastructure to impose restrictions.

Final Fight for example requires a constant online connection, because Capcom implemented the restriction on that game.
  • Deleted user 14 June 2013 16:37:08
    Will this affect my pre-order status?
  • Psiloc 16 Jun 2013 09:33:45 5,159 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    jimlufc wrote:
    Yes they can, one time activation online to access the game.

But that could be done now, so nothing has changed, yet...
    I made this mistake too, thinking "well publishers will just create their own system to mirror how the Xbox 1 works". But they can't, for the simple reason that the PS4 doesn't ever, EVER, force you to go online (confirmed). The best they can do is online passes again which is by far the lesser of two evils, and who'd have thought that would ever be a real sentence.

Games that KNOW you can go online, such as PSN games and multiplayer-only games, can and do use full DRM at the moment. Capcom is big on this, and faced a backlash when their games wouldn't work during the PSN outage. Can't imagine that ever happening again...

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.