Sony wants a PS4 future without discs Page 3

• Spectral 19 Jun 2013 04:16:47 6,197 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    You've made it absolutely clear you are in favour of digital distribution regardless of how it effects others. I wasn't basing it on that one quote, that was just the part that sounded bad. Maybe I was a little quick to jump to selfish prick but still. But you seem so ready to disregard the effect consumers can have. Like my example with the VIta, while we'll never know for sure if it was a factor it is likely the Vita only has physical media due to people chooseing not to buy the PSP Go. As the internet stands now a lot of people simply dont have digital distribution as an option, the internet isn't up to the task. Sony and MS can force it all they want but if people can't download the amount of data required its not going to work. You may say well they aren't the target audience but it means they are cutting their audience at least in half.
  • Deleted user 19 June 2013 04:19:29
    Dirtbox wrote:
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    I'm not. How is my ignorance of Steam stupid? Indeed, how is it 'ignorance' at all - I investigated it, concluded that I don't like it or how it works, so I don't use it or spend money on it.

I'm basing my argument on the fact I paid my way through Uni by working in a videogame shop and know that people have such shitty internet connections that they struggle to download a 100Mb update, never mind a 25Gb retail release which they can't resell.

People seem to forget that it's not all tech savvy 20/30-somethings with heaps of disposable income and a snappy net connection buying games.

The companies might be able to move the market over to where they apparently want it, but their market will shrink if not implode on itself in the process.

Edit - was replying to this
    Just a quick point, but basing your entire argument on your ignorance of a sales platform is the pinnacle of stupid.
    Yeah, you are. I fail to see what tech savvy has to do with anything either, I'd venture nothing. Or disposable income, something which I equate far more with console gaming as you get shafted constantly with monthly fees for basic online features, inflated price of games, peripherals and a giant TV.

You're not entitled to be able to play games, you pay a premium for the privilege of being allowed to play them for a time.
    I used tech savvy as a catch-all for people who feel using a DVD player is akin to brain surgery a.k.a. parents, idiot teenagers, etc.

Disposable income? It's funny how I equate that with PC gaming as the initial outlay for a decent set up (including a decent and/or giant TV/monitor) which will have to be updated incrementally (as opposed to the fixed spec over a console's lifespan).

I can rarely be arsed to play online. When I did, I didn't pay as I've owned a PS3 for years. Games, well I wait for them to drop in price, or maybe get them secondhand. If I want a new release game, I'm paying through the nose, just like Steam, but unlike that I can offset the cost if I like with trade ins. And the last time I checked a decent gaming mouse or PC pad don't come for free. Amount of peripherals I've bought in 5 years of owning a PS3 - 2 if you count the 3m charge lead that I'm still using on the pad that came in the box.

But why argue about it. You clearly think console users have some sort of mental deficiency, and I think PC gaming is a bit naff.
  • Riven326 19 Jun 2013 04:21:11 57 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @darkmorgado

You quoted the wrong person. I never said consoles are ahead of PC.

Regardless of how you feel about a static box, it doesn't change the fact that having a second option gives consoles a unique advantage.

Mission statement or no, it doesn't change the fact that it didn't last long. Microsoft was quick to stop all support for the machine and it's online capabilities. You'll have to forgive me if I'm not up to date on Microsoft's latest statements regarding their DRM policies. Each executive seems to be on a different page and it makes getting a straight answer very difficult.

Valve locks people out of their games for no reason? You're also taking that statement out of context. In the event Valve can no longer support Steam as a product delivery service, they will not lock everyone out of the games they've already paid for. I believe this was confirmed by Gabe Newell.

Edited by Riven326 at 04:23:46 19-06-2013
  • Deleted user 19 June 2013 04:22:10
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Spectral wrote:
    @Dirtbox and now you just sound like a selfish prick. More people are on capped internet than not
    So blame your shitty ISP, as it's their fault. Better yet, change your ISP to one that isn't stuck 5 years in the past.

Who the fuck has capped internet these days?
    Capped connections are way more common than not.

And if they are a bit shit, why should someone have to change ISP because Sony or Microsoft don't like you owning physical copies of the games you pay for.
  • spamdangled 19 Jun 2013 04:25:05 31,738 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Spectral wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Spectral wrote:
    @Dirtbox and now you just sound like a selfish prick. More people are on capped internet than not
    So blame your shitty ISP, as it's their fault. Better yet, change your ISP to one that isn't stuck 5 years in the past.

Its actually becoming more common not less. Especially in the US. In a lot of areas there simply is no uncapped option. Even ISP's that claim to be unlimited have a cap in place in the fair use policy. If you go over they slow your connection to a crawl.
    I'm on Virgin under a "fair use policy". My internet speed has NEVER "slowed to a crawl" despite the fact that I regularly stream video from iPlayer/lovefilm etc on one monitor whilst playing sn MMo, whilst also downloading games from steam in the background and whilst both my partner and our lodger are doing exactly the same thing at the same time. At most our bandwidth reduces by about 30%, but then the caps they place only last a couple of hours anyway and only come into effect in the first place if you're downloading massive data amounts in peak hours. Fair Use policies almost exclusively apply to peak-time bandwidth use - and peak time is only a few hours a day at most.

The solution? Leave things to download overnight or during daytime hours while you're sleeping or at work instead of staring at progress bars.
  • spamdangled 19 Jun 2013 04:25:43 31,738 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Spectral wrote:

Capped connections are way more common than not.

And if they are a bit shit, why should someone have to change ISP because Sony or Microsoft don't like you owning physical copies of the games you pay for.
    Because the ISP are shit?
  • spamdangled 19 Jun 2013 04:27:52 31,738 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Riven326 wrote:
    Mission statement or no, it doesn't change the fact that it didn't last long. Microsoft was quick to stop all support for the machine and it's online capabilities.
    Yeah, that's bollocks. Hell, they only stopped supporting Live play for Halo 2 on the Xbox last year - a "mere" 6 years after the console was discontinued!

Edited by darkmorgado at 04:28:06 19-06-2013
  • Deleted user 19 June 2013 04:28:15
    Riven326 wrote:
    @darkmorgado You quoted the wrong person. I never said consoles are ahead of PC.
    Yep, that was me.

And to me they are. There's pros and cons to PCs and consoles as gaming platforms, and to me consoles offer me advantages I consider more desirable in a gaming platform than what PCs offer.

No right or wrong, just preference. And given the size of the global console market, I'm clearly not the only person who sees consoles as viable entertainment devices.
  • Dirtbox 19 Jun 2013 04:28:35 91,099 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 19 June 2013 04:30:07
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Riven326 wrote:
    Mission statement or no, it doesn't change the fact that it didn't last long. Microsoft was quick to stop all support for the machine and it's online capabilities.
    Yeah, that's bollocks. Hell, they only stopped supporting Live play for Halo 2 on the Xbox last year - a "mere" 6 years after the console was discontinued!
    That's very much an exception, rather than the rule. The original Xbox was dropped like a tonne of bricks.
  • Spectral 19 Jun 2013 04:32:36 6,197 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    That may help with the fup but not a fully capped product. not everyone is lucky enough to have access to cable internet. For a capped product it counts whenever you download. Also not all ISPs share the same fup restrictions as virgin.
  • Riven326 19 Jun 2013 04:33:59 57 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Riven326 wrote:
    I stand corrected. (Regarding the online capabilities.)

Edited by Riven326 at 04:35:25 19-06-2013
  • spamdangled 19 Jun 2013 04:34:43 31,738 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    the last time I checked a decent gaming mouse or PC pad don't come for free.
    This is more nonsense. You don't need some stupid "gaming" mouse or fancy setup unless you're some anally retentive esports player. A bog standard mouse will do just fine. And PC gamepads are cheap as bloody chips, or you can just plug in the ones you already use in your consoles.

And you don't need to "constantly" upgrade a PC either. If you know what you're doing a PC will happily handle most new games for many years after it's built, they're not as expensive or hard to build/maintain as console gamers try to make out and over time you make a significant saving anyway.
  • spamdangled 19 Jun 2013 04:35:44 31,738 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Riven326 wrote:
    That's very much an exception, rather than the rule. The original Xbox was dropped like a tonne of bricks.
    Because the 360 came out and the original was just a foot in the door at the tail end of the last console cycle.

Are you going to keep going in circles here?

Edited by darkmorgado at 04:36:16 19-06-2013
  • Dirtbox 19 Jun 2013 04:37:30 91,099 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Spectral 19 Jun 2013 04:39:44 6,197 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    As opposed to people who are going to take it up the arse because they've been told too.
  • Deleted user 19 June 2013 04:40:53
    darkmorgado wrote:
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    the last time I checked a decent gaming mouse or PC pad don't come for free.
    This is more nonsense. You don't need some stupid "gaming" mouse or fancy setup unless you're some anally retentive esports player. A bog standard mouse will do just fine. And PC gamepads are cheap as bloody chips, or you can just plug in the ones you already use in your consoles.

And you don't need to "constantly" upgrade a PC either. If you know what you're doing a PC will happily handle most new games for many years after it's built, they're not as expensive or hard to build/maintain as console gamers try to make out and over time you make a significant saving anyway.
    No, you don't need to do any of that, I was using it as an example towards Dirtbox that equally, you don't need to do all the stuff he was saying about consoles.

You've quoted that out of context, clearly.
  • Dirtbox 19 Jun 2013 04:41:12 91,099 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Post deleted
  • spamdangled 19 Jun 2013 04:43:16 31,738 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Spectral wrote:
    As opposed to people who are going to take it up the arse because they've been told too.
    It's not "taking it up the arse" if they don't experience any downside and actually experience more convenience, is it?

Just because some people don't give a shit about the impending digital revolution hitting consoles and the predictable mainsteam wahmbulance tediousness doesn't mean they're either gleefully being fist-fucked or are deluded MS fanboys.
  • Dirtbox 19 Jun 2013 04:43:25 91,099 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 19 June 2013 04:45:34
    darkmorgado wrote:
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Riven326 wrote:
    Because the 360 came out and the original was just a foot in the door at the tail end of the last console cycle.

So you're okay with being told 'fuck you, early adaptor, this was just a foot in the door!'?

How am I going in circles? That's the first time I mentioned it.
  • Spectral 19 Jun 2013 04:47:42 6,197 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Spectral wrote:
    It's not "taking it up the arse" if they don't experience any downside and actually experience more convenience, is it?

Just because some people don't give a shit about the impending digital revolution hitting consoles and the predictable mainsteam wahmbulance tediousness doesn't mean they're either gleefully being fist-fucked or are deluded MS fanboys.
    But with a complete lack of awareness or empathy for how it effects anyone but themselves. And what if you're internet connection becomes worse down the line? Will you be so happy when you have to spend 2 days downloading a new game?
  • Dirtbox 19 Jun 2013 04:48:05 91,099 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Post deleted
  • spamdangled 19 Jun 2013 04:48:10 31,738 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Riven326 wrote:

So you're okay with being told 'fuck you, early adaptor, this was just a foot in the door!'?

It was 8 YEARS AGO. Get over it already.
  • Deleted user 19 June 2013 04:49:49
    Dirtbox wrote:
    @FuzzyDuck my mouse cost 20, it came with my keyboard.
    My Dualshock came in the box, and the shop threw another one in for free as a bundle, so we just negated our previous points.
  • spamdangled 19 Jun 2013 04:50:42 31,738 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Spectral wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Spectral wrote:

But with a complete lack of awareness or empathy for how it effects anyone but themselves. And what if you're internet connection becomes worse down the line? Will you be so happy when you have to spend 2 days downloading a new game?
    I have plenty of other games to play or - shock horror - other things to keep me occupied. My life isn't about to end if I don't get the latest game on release date (and my bank balance will thank me anyway for the saving if I wait a few weeks).
  • Dirtbox 19 Jun 2013 04:51:02 91,099 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Spectral 19 Jun 2013 04:51:34 6,197 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @darkmorgado that still doesn't make it a good thing
  • spamdangled 19 Jun 2013 04:52:20 31,738 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:
    @FuzzyDuck my mouse cost 20, it came with my keyboard.
    My Dualshock came in the box, and the shop threw another one in for free as a bundle, so we just negated our previous points.
    "for free"
    "as a bundle"

I'm not sure you know how bundles work...
  • Riven326 19 Jun 2013 04:52:36 57 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Riven326 wrote:

That's a fair point. Sony supported the PS1 for almost twelve years and the PS2 for thirteen years. Microsoft supported the Xbox for only seven years.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.