Which phone should I buy? Page 42

• Not-a-reviewer 13 Mar 2018 11:37:24 5,222 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    For anyone not wanting to use an adaptor and likes their wired earphones, the fiio btr1 is highly recommended. If you're using anything like Spotify then it sounds at least as good as any wired connection for phones.

Uses aptx on android and aac for streaming on iPhone.

Edited by reviewer at 11:38:54 13-03-2018
  • RyanDS 13 Mar 2018 22:50:33 11,906 posts
    Seen 17 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Picked up iPhone X today. Will return it tomorrow. Main use of my phone is music and I like my music loud.

One my s7 edge full volume with my bose wired headphones is perfect. On the edge of comfortable. iPhone X is maybe 90% of that, too low for me to truly enjoy.

Any recommendations for a good phone for music?
  • RyanDS 14 Mar 2018 09:00:30 11,906 posts
    Seen 17 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah. After last night and this morning iPhone X is up for sale. Anyone looking for one? Brand new, 24 hours old.

Just finding it such a terrible step back after android and pretty much unusable. So so so many niggles and poor UI choices.

No back button.
    No always on screen.
    Volume output too low to be used on tube.
    You can't edit words easily. (If you click on a word it takes you to the start or end.)
    You can't scroll photos fast. (Android the side of screen is a scroll bar you can use.)
    No fingerprint scanner. (So at night when I use CPAP I can't use face recognition stuff. With no always on screen and no fingerprint scanner this is a pain to check the phone.)

This is on top of the items I knew about but thought were worth the chance (no headphones, most fragile phone on the market etc.)

I know small niggles most of these, but so so many. Fuck it, you can't even see the URL in the browser. You can't long press emails to chose what to do with them.

I thought I would try apple, after all I quite liked the ipad I had a few years back and loved my Imac, but at 300 more than the S9 I would much rather go that way.
  • nickthegun 14 Mar 2018 09:03:26 74,744 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I wouldn't get an S9 if you're that bothered about volume. The my S8 was irritatingly quiet.
  • RyanDS 14 Mar 2018 09:04:14 11,906 posts
    Seen 17 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I wouldn't get an S9 if you're that bothered about volume. The my S8 was irritatingly quiet.
    Quieter than the S7? S7 I found a lost louder than my old HTC.
  • grey_matters 14 Mar 2018 09:06:00 4,412 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    LG claim big things about their DACs. Dunno how loud they are though.
  • nickthegun 14 Mar 2018 09:08:47 74,744 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dunno. It was the first Samsung I've had since the S3 which I also found quiet.

However, the compensation is that the bespoke sound tuning is really good. It gives you a hearing test and boosts the frequencies that you struggle with. It makes a surprising difference. But, yeah, it's still far too quiet.
  • UncleLou Moderator 14 Mar 2018 09:11:04 39,673 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    "You can't edit words easily. (If you click on a word it takes you to the start or end.)"

Press and hold, you get a magnifying glass and can edit.

"You can't scroll photos fast. (Android the side of screen is a scroll bar you can use.)"

Click top or bottom bar, it auto-scrolls and you can interrupt it anytime.

" Fuck it, you can't even see the URL in the browser."

Tiny bit of scrolling up, and the URl appears. No need to waste screen space on the URL all the time.

"You can't long press emails to chose what to do with them."

Slide to the right.

Edited by UncleLou at 09:11:36 14-03-2018
  • RyanDS 14 Mar 2018 09:17:42 11,906 posts
    Seen 17 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    "You can't edit words easily. (If you click on a word it takes you to the start or end.)"

Press and hold, you get a magnifying glass and can edit.
    Found this out, but seems an annoying workaround and so counter intuitive. Also makes editing slooooooowwww...

"You can't scroll photos fast. (Android the side of screen is a scroll bar you can use.)"

Click top or bottom bar, it auto-scrolls and you can interrupt it anytime.
    This doesn't seem to work. I can't see any bars. It just zooms out to years or into sections. I can't seem to scroll all?

" Fuck it, you can't even see the URL in the browser."

Tiny bit of scrolling up, and the URl appears. No need to waste screen space on the URL all the time.
    Only shows part URL. Same issue in history etc. I want to see eurogamer\forum but I just see lots of Eurogamers.net in the list with no obvious way of seeing which page is which as it only shows domain not full url.

"You can't long press emails to chose what to do with them."

Slide to the right.
    Will try this cheers.

As I said, most of these are small niggles, and I could yet used to most (not all) of them. Just at 1000 I shouldn't have to have a much worse user experience than a much cheaper phone.

If people prefer iphones, then good for them, we all approach tech differently. For me it is just not what I want or need.

Edit: Also a few minor issues that I don't want to have to deal with. Like losing all whatsapp history as I can't restore backup as they use different backup types etc. Not a fault with phone, but make the move between android and iphone not worth the effort for the benefits.

Edited by RyanDS at 09:22:50 14-03-2018
  • HarryB 14 Mar 2018 09:23:58 7,333 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Small niggles are the difference of an entirely different operating system - always gonna happen.

For your photo scrolling just install Google photos and it's exactly the same as Android btw
  • RyanDS 14 Mar 2018 09:32:28 11,906 posts
    Seen 17 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    HarryB wrote:
    Small niggles are the difference of an entirely different operating system - always gonna happen.

Agreed, but normally there is are benefits alongside the niggles. Some stuff which you find better. I honestly have not found a single feature on the iPhone that is better than android. So there is no trade off.

To be fair I did have a mate move from iphone to Galaxy S8 and he sold his after 2 days as he felt the exact same in the opposite direction.
  • freddymercurystwin 14 Mar 2018 09:49:10 1,470 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Id say one day is woefully not enough time to get used to a new phone especially changing from android to iPhone (I should point out that I dislike everything apple and their operating systems BTW) and I would expect these niggles to be overcomeable with some googling/different apps.

Though the volume may be a deal breaker for you.

But that HTC U11 is beckoning .
  • Tonka 14 Mar 2018 09:55:27 28,078 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    HarryB wrote:
    For your photo scrolling just install Google photos and it's exactly the same as Android btw
    Plus all the other benefits of Google Photos. Like not having to waste storage on storing them on device, getting awesome videos of your kids growing up or the "I'm almost as good as Google Now on Tap was, honest guv!" Google Lens thing. (It's not as good as Google Now on Tap was nor will it ever be since it's in the wrong fucking place

The idea that I should take a screengrab and then scan it is so ass backwards...)

FUCKING IDOIOTS!
  • RyanDS 14 Mar 2018 13:23:41 11,906 posts
    Seen 17 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone know how to install a reasonable keyboard? Iphone one doesn't have a number row and common punctuation and you have to swap which is incredibly slow and frustrating.

You also can't do the swiping key thing like on android. Is that a setting or something to install?
  • Trowel 14 Mar 2018 13:28:37 22,116 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    You can't get a number row on iOS keyboards, even in the ones on the store like SwiftKey.

I use iPads at work, Android on everything at home. Your list above is like my list of things I first thought must be easy to customise... Must be...
  • Tonka 14 Mar 2018 15:26:15 28,078 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Are you sure there isn't swipe on the iOS keyboard? Could have sworn they announced that a year or two ago
  • RyanDS 14 Mar 2018 15:32:06 11,906 posts
    Seen 17 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Aaargh. And phone is dead. Been listening to music at my desk and couldn't charge as the 1000 phone doesn't let you charge like every other phone in the world.

920 anyone?
  • Not-a-reviewer 14 Mar 2018 15:38:19 5,222 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You know you can recharge them? It's not just a single charge battery.
  • RyanDS 14 Mar 2018 15:40:52 11,906 posts
    Seen 17 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    reviewer wrote:
    You know you can recharge them? It's not just a single charge battery.
    And while I do I don't have any music.
  • Not-a-reviewer 14 Mar 2018 15:42:03 5,222 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Hum to yourself for 20 minutes.
  • crashVoodoo 14 Mar 2018 15:47:16 5,904 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @RyanDS doesn't it have wireless charging?
  • Not-a-reviewer 14 Mar 2018 15:48:38 5,222 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's a chance to rest your ears. It's important they get a break every 8 hours.
  • RyanDS 14 Mar 2018 15:50:57 11,906 posts
    Seen 17 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    But then I have to listen to my staff. I would rather take the risk of hearing damage.
  • Not-a-reviewer 14 Mar 2018 15:57:01 5,222 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Get them to sing.
  • freddymercurystwin 14 Mar 2018 16:06:40 1,470 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Buy another iPhone X, then you can listen to one whilst the other is charging.
  • Tonka 14 Mar 2018 16:10:02 28,078 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    reviewer wrote:
    Hum to yourself for 20 minutes.
    There's a dongle that will sort you out.
  • Tonka 14 Mar 2018 16:10:30 28,078 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Or a pair of truly wireless headphones.
  • UncleLou Moderator 14 Mar 2018 16:27:35 39,673 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    List of phones for RyanDS to avoid (it's going to get a lot longer):
    Moto Z
    Moto Z Force Droid
    HTC Bolt
    HTC U Ultra
    HTC U Play
    HTC U11
    HTC U11+
    iPhone 7 and 7 Plus
    iPhone 8 and 8 Plus
    iPhone X
    Xiaomi Mi 6
    Huawei Mate 10 Pro
    Essential Phone
    Razer Phone
    Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL
    LeEco Le S3
    LeEco Le Pro 3
    LeEco Le 2
    LeEco Le 2 Pro
    LeEco Le Max 2
  • sherpa1984 14 Mar 2018 16:29:42 764 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I liked my iPhone 5c when I had it a couple years ago. Coming to the end of my galaxy S6 contract and eyeing up a switch back to iPhone with the 8+ (I don't do brand loyalty) but when I look at tech spec comparisons holy jesus do the galaxies wipe the floor with the iPhone. Do I go with my heart or head?!
  • Tonka 14 Mar 2018 18:11:12 28,078 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    There are good phones with headphone jacks still.

The LG C300 seems to be an awesome phone.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.