Which phone should I buy? Page 47

• Jyzzy-Z 19 Dec 2018 11:45:14 3,965 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm in the same boat. Always gone for HTC phones as the hardware is usually top class. They don't put loads of shovelware shite on it like a samsung either.

Sadly HTC's phones are a bit plop lately. Baring a complete reverse and a decent flagship announcement, I'm going to have to switch.

Samsung is out, I don't need a duplicate of every stock android app on my phone with a samsung logo on it.

A lot of people at work seem to recommend Huawei but slightly put off by the whole spying for the communist government thing that was in the news.

I also don't really like the design of the Pixel series. Looks cheapo.

What else is there? Sony still make phones?

Edited by Jyzzy-Z at 11:45:27 19-12-2018
  • minky-kong 19 Dec 2018 11:49:22 14,099 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Flying_Pig wrote:
    Another vote for the OnePlus. I've currently got a 3T, but will almost certainly go for the 6T on my next upgrade.
    Add my vote to the OnePlus. I had a 3T for the last two years and it was the best phone I've ever had, and I upgraded to the 6T last month which is much the same, just with some extra bells and whistle and a better battery life.

RECOMEDED
  • Vice.Destroyer 19 Dec 2018 11:53:52 7,223 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    This may sound like I'm trying to justify the purchase of my Huawei phone. But it should be remembered that no major company doesn't spy on you. Facebook, Google, Twitter, etc. Privacy is now an illusion. Once you accept that, try and fight your Huawei revulsion. Your data is no safer with OnePlus that with all the others.

Look at the Huawei P20 Pro. I like it a lot. (there are about 5 apps from Huawei, that you can't get rid of. 2 of those duplicate the standard Google apps)
  • Jyzzy-Z 19 Dec 2018 11:56:46 3,965 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah that's a fair point, but a tech company spying for a government is a bit more nefarious than Facebook or twitter doing it to try and target you with adverts.

I'm not that clued up on what actually happened so it could be nothing, but it was really off putting. I'll have a read about it.
  • uiruki 19 Dec 2018 12:07:34 4,724 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Iím not convinced ďin for a penny, in for a poundĒ is a sensible approach to data privacy. I just donít use google, Facebook or anything like that where there are alternatives, and when I do, I use a private session or a separate sandboxed app to reduce the amount that cookies can be used against me. Iím not sure how effective it is, but Iím hoping it makes me just enough of a pain to track that they all go for the easier majority.
  • Kay 19 Dec 2018 12:13:28 19,898 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I was all set for the Mate 20 Pro, until I read about the green screen "gluegate" issues. Plus apparently the software is still very iffy, notifications don't work properly etc.

My brother got a OnePlus 6T and it's a beautiful phone with probably the best Android OS, I'm tempted to get it myself. For the price it's an absolute bargain compared to other phones out there.
  • DJCopa 19 Dec 2018 13:22:03 1,752 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @CompetitiveDad I went from Nexus 6P to Pixel 2. Really wasn't sure, as loved the 6P, just a solid phone.

Pixel 2 has been excellent - no issues with anything, the camera is lovely and performance not dipped.

\my2cents
  • freddymercurystwin 19 Dec 2018 14:06:21 1,585 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Jyzzy-Z wrote:
    I'm in the same boat. Always gone for HTC phones as the hardware is usually top class. They don't put loads of shovelware shite on it like a samsung either.

Sadly HTC's phones are a bit plop lately. Baring a complete reverse and a decent flagship announcement, I'm going to have to switch.

A lot of people at work seem to recommend Huawei but slightly put off by the whole spying for the communist government thing that was in the news.
    Really? I have an HTC U11, I can't fault it having had an M8 beforehand for a couple of years, love the squeezy sides for an instant camera shot and cannot fault the camera itself. Managed to bag it when it was on a special offer from Carphone Warehouse. Though the U12 is their current flagship now.

Wife has just gone for a Huawei P20 Pro, seems pretty good and another fantastic camera.

I have been in the same boat, cant stand Samsung, so much bloatware, wife had one and they refused to repair it until we paid £90 for a tiny crack in the rear plastic case to be fixed first and my work one is absolute shite, huge software updates every other week and a really clunky interface.
  • Jyzzy-Z 19 Dec 2018 14:22:18 3,965 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @freddymercurystwin Yeah I got a HTC U Ultra for my last renewal. It had middling reviews to be fair so I was warned. It's a really disappointing phone. I should have waited for the next one but I was impatient.

I've had HTCs since forever. I've read online that they're going to relaunch the range next year so I might wait for that to see if they pick up their game a bit.
  • CompetitiveDad 19 Dec 2018 18:42:54 8,127 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I decided to go with the OnePlus 6T after looking at the phones today, the notch looks a lot more subtle than that of the Google pixel 3 XL and I was left a little underwhelmed by the pixel in general, this was probably more to do with the demo on the phone I think but with the 6T I could basically do I as pleased with it and I was really impressed.

Carphone Warehouse didn't have any in-store and both EE and O2 only had the 6gb midnight black version to sell so I've gone with John Lewis online for the 8gb ram - 128gb storage in thunder purple colour. It's being delivered tomorrow.

Edited by CompetitiveDad at 18:43:33 19-12-2018
  • gamecat 20 Dec 2018 00:36:51 814 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Got the same purple version, is great phone, coming from an S7 with a battery on the way out that would last me till about 7pm, I now get a day and a half at least. I do miss the headphone jack and the notification light, and the auto brightness is kinda poor (though easily fixable with an app), otherwise it's all good.

Edited by gamecat at 00:38:14 20-12-2018
  • Vice.Destroyer 20 Dec 2018 08:55:28 7,223 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    uiruki wrote:
    Iím not convinced ďin for a penny, in for a poundĒ is a sensible approach to data privacy. I just donít use google, Facebook or anything like that where there are alternatives, and when I do, I use a private session or a separate sandboxed app to reduce the amount that cookies can be used against me. Iím not sure how effective it is, but Iím hoping it makes me just enough of a pain to track that they all go for the easier majority.
    If you are using an Android phone, all that you are describing to preserve your privacy, does absolutely nothing. Privacy is an illusion.
  • Tonka 20 Dec 2018 09:38:40 29,035 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    CompetitiveDad wrote:
    the notch looks a lot more subtle than that of the Google pixel 3 XL
    A dildo cellotaped to a forehead would be more subtle than the notch on the Pixel 3 XL.
  • Vice.Destroyer 20 Dec 2018 11:05:56 7,223 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    What an image!
  • CompetitiveDad 20 Dec 2018 13:07:40 8,127 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    CompetitiveDad wrote:
    the notch looks a lot more subtle than that of the Google pixel 3 XL
    A dildo cellotaped to a forehead would be more subtle than the notch on the Pixel 3 XL.
    What size dildo?
  • nickthegun 20 Dec 2018 13:10:02 76,520 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Black mamba class
  • CompetitiveDad 31 Dec 2018 07:43:59 8,127 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Really impressed with the battery life on my new OnePlus 6t, it's lasting me just over 2 days with my normal use and over a full day with heavy use. The thunder purple looks very smart/different. I am actually really impressed with the sound from the mono speaker it's really loud and clear and is a lot better than I was expecting from the many YouTube reviews watched. I was initially disappointed with the in screen finger print censor, I loved the placement on the rear of my old Nexus 6p and it always worked flawlessly, I spent the first week frustrated trying to unlock the screen trying different finger combinations until settling on scanning both thumbs twice which makes the finger print censor work 99% of the time.
    The phone came with a pre-installed screen protector, soft shell case and USB C audio adapter in the box.

Thanks for the recommendation's, couldn't be happier with my purchase. It really is a quality phone.
  • FWB 31 Dec 2018 08:22:07 55,583 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    \o/

And, touch wood, as I said, the battery life and speed doesn't seem to have dropped on mine 18 months later. Will be sticking with them for my next phone as it stands.

Edited by FWB at 08:26:10 31-12-2018
  • Load_2.0 31 Dec 2018 08:40:10 28,571 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    No Chinese phones for me.

Mao Zedong can find someone else's dick pics to jerk off over.
  • Not-a-reviewer 31 Dec 2018 09:39:33 5,498 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I wouldn't worry about the security of Chinese phones any more than I would about Google or Facebook. As long as you don't work for a government or defence company then get whatever you want.

Where I work has banned some newer Android phones, partly because of Google assistant.
  • CompetitiveDad 31 Dec 2018 09:46:38 8,127 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    \o/

And, touch wood, as I said, the battery life and speed doesn't seem to have dropped on mine 18 months later. Will be sticking with them for my next phone as it stands.
    Really really good to know! The software is really great as well, no bloatware, gestures are great and lots of useful settings such as app locker for example.

👍
  • FWB 31 Dec 2018 09:59:03 55,583 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Aye. Another reason I went for it; was fed up with the crap most other brands put on their phones.
  • ibenam 31 Dec 2018 20:22:35 3,200 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Any thoughts on the pocophone?
  • AddyJB 3 Jan 2019 19:40:51 934 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    I can upgrade and I'm bored of my S9. Not sure on what to get though.
  • FWB 3 Jan 2019 19:47:44 55,583 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Oneplus. Next.
  • AddyJB 3 Jan 2019 19:51:15 934 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Lol I am tempted. Just looking at deals on them now.
  • fontgeeksogood 3 Jan 2019 20:37:49 4,640 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    I had a OnePlus 3 when they were very reasonably priced. It was surprisingly flimsy but you accepted that due to the mad specs brah.

They still seem more flimsy than premium phones yet charge premium prices. Am disappoint
  • AddyJB 5 Jan 2019 14:45:21 934 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Ordered the Oneplus 6T from vodafone. Asked for my pac code and got put through to retention. I ended up with the 6T with 26gb data, unlimited mins and texts and the handset free for £30 a month. Not too bad.
  • FWB 6 Jan 2019 09:37:52 55,583 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Good choice. :)
  • Zerobob 6 Jan 2019 11:50:16 2,165 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm still on the OnePlus 3T, and still going strong. I say "still"... I've had it just less that 2 years.

It really is a great phone. I've never thought it was flimsy, with its metal back, but I've always had it in a decent case.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.