Which phone should I buy? Page 49

• cjb_bjc 1 Feb 2019 11:20:29 2,076 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Are you really that much of a Nokia 7 plus advocate? Nothing on-line screams out about it being very good.
  • cjb_bjc 1 Feb 2019 11:22:51 2,076 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    RedPanda87 wrote:

Basically, unless your current handset is broken now is just about the worst time to buy a phone, but shortly it will be the best time.
    Those are my thoughts too. It's just the waiting!
  • KnuttinAtoll 9 Feb 2019 11:00:40 7,345 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So, the Nokia 7 plus ticks a lot of boxes for me.

300 Euros with decent camera, battery, android one, solid build quality.

Don't want a Chinese phone and got put off by Samsung in the past. Currently own an HTC M8S but find the camera disappointing.

Am pretty much decided but have only done a little bit of research so... anyone who thinks it's a poor purchase for whatever reason, or is there a better option I've overlooked?

Edited by KnuttinAtoll at 11:06:37 09-02-2019
  • Vice.Destroyer 12 Feb 2019 10:57:44 7,255 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Nokia 7 is a good phone. Only thing I'm surprised about is your anti-Chinese stance? Huawei, Xiaomi, OnePlus make fantastic phones. Even at 300. I assume you have security concerns? Don't want to be conspiracy theorist, but put it this way, privacy is an illusion. :/
  • KnuttinAtoll 12 Feb 2019 11:12:50 7,345 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Went for the 7 for myself and the wife in the end. Initial issues have cropped up since (namely an ever so slight yellow tint if you view a 100% white screen, and some weirdly unresponsive menus now and then although that has since subsided). I'm willing to ignore them though because they're minor and the phone is quite a decent upgrade from our 4+ old previous ones. Plus with every single new phone I owned there were always niggles.

Re my Chinese stance, I'm surprised that you're surprised, given that Western governments are now reluctant to rely/trust Chinese companies with their IT infrastructure:)

I realise privacy is a thing of the past, and boy did I notice this once more when setting up the Nokia's - the way Google tries to lure you into sharing your data is truly sickening, not only during the initial set up but seeing how many 'sharing' bits are opt outs rather than opt-ins. But then I look at Apple with their FacePalmGate and paying 3-4 times the price for those phones... nah.

The difference is, Google wants to serve you ads, but China has the power to make people disappear off the streets, home and abroad. Not that I'm even remotely interesting enough to appear on China's radar, but it's a principle thing for me. If I lose out on supposedly cheaper/better phones, then so be it.

Edited by KnuttinAtoll at 11:15:16 12-02-2019
  • THFourteen 12 Feb 2019 11:24:14 52,549 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    If it were me, i'd get a Xiaomi.
  • JamboWayOh 12 Feb 2019 11:32:11 14,150 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:
    Went for the 7 for myself and the wife in the end. Initial issues have cropped up since (namely an ever so slight yellow tint if you view a 100% white screen, and some weirdly unresponsive menus now and then although that has since subsided). I'm willing to ignore them though because they're minor and the phone is quite a decent upgrade from our 4+ old previous ones. Plus with every single new phone I owned there were always niggles.

Re my Chinese stance, I'm surprised that you're surprised, given that Western governments are now reluctant to rely/trust Chinese companies with their IT infrastructure:)

I realise privacy is a thing of the past, and boy did I notice this once more when setting up the Nokia's - the way Google tries to lure you into sharing your data is truly sickening, not only during the initial set up but seeing how many 'sharing' bits are opt outs rather than opt-ins. But then I look at Apple with their FacePalmGate and paying 3-4 times the price for those phones... nah.

The difference is, Google wants to serve you ads, but China has the power to make people disappear off the streets, home and abroad. Not that I'm even remotely interesting enough to appear on China's radar, but it's a principle thing for me. If I lose out on supposedly cheaper/better phones, then so be it.
    Google are also working on a search engine for the Chinese regime, so either way you're compromising your principles.
  • KnuttinAtoll 12 Feb 2019 11:56:47 7,345 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:

Google are also working on a search engine for the Chinese regime, so either way you're compromising your principles.
    Are you saying I may as well go all in by buying a Chinese phone on a US operating system, rather than a Non-Chinese phone on a US operating system?

While we don't have much choice OS wise, we still do in terms of hardware, at least for now.

Edited by KnuttinAtoll at 11:57:06 12-02-2019
  • arty 12 Feb 2019 12:08:41 582 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It's not just the privacy though, it's all the crap they shove on them. Nokia is pure android.
  • Vice.Destroyer 12 Feb 2019 12:17:47 7,255 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:

Maybe I have become far too cynical in my old age, but I have decided that there simply are no heroes on the world stage. And it's probably best not to try and put into perspective what government atrocities you support and which ones you draw the line at. Granted, the chinese gov clearly believes human rights are bollocks. But then, western governments don't give a shit about propping up repressive regimes with weapons, trade, etc. They may not disappear people as blatantly as the chinese regime, but their hands are also not clean.

The whole chinese company and IT infrastructure around the world thing is worth unpacking. I totally agree that the coming of 5G and IoT means that you probably should not run the risk of a foreign actor building your 5G infrastructure, because of the possibility that everything that 5G can control in the future like pacemakers, traffic information, automated cars, etc, being possibly brought under the control of hostile actors. And frankly, that is a valid concern in my eyes. But I think that it also displays western hypocrisy. In fairness to Huawei, this is all just rumours at this point (but probably true). Contrast that with the proven fact that the NSA used Cisco as a trojan horse to spy on chinese financial and government institutions and you have to ask yourself, maybe 5G infrastructure is just too sensitive to entrust to anything but domestic companies.

I guess my point is, as consumers we really should use our purchasing power to support companies that we agree with and ignore the ones that we do not agree with. But when it comes to the telecommunications sector, there are no heroes.
  • Tonka 12 Feb 2019 12:23:20 29,664 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I think that anyone who believes they're safe from chinese spys just because they've bought a "non-chinese" phone should think things through one more time.

The only difference if you buy a Kirin chipped phone is that you've become a slightly harder target for non-chinese spys.
  • Deleted user 12 February 2019 12:28:03
    It's think it's the principle of it rather than the worry of actually being spied on.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 12 Feb 2019 12:30:27 20,366 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I heard you're never further than 10 metres away from a Chinese spy at any given time.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 12 Feb 2019 12:31:53 20,366 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I took this photo in Morrisons last week

• Tonka 12 Feb 2019 12:32:54 29,664 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I hear the person assigned to reading Eurogamer posts has to be replaced once every week.
  • Tonka 12 Feb 2019 12:33:39 29,664 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    I took this photo in Morrisons last week

Awww, shit. Now I want some high end instant noodles.
  • Deleted user 12 February 2019 12:34:45
    I bought a OnePlus 6T. I probably would have got the Huawei top model but all the negative press put me off.

I know that the privacy horse has bolted but I still have a choice as a consumer whether to endorse it or not with an 800 purchase.

As someone said, I think there's a gulf of difference between a company trying to target you more ads and one passing your data to a government for surveillance or worse.

The good news is, the 6T is great. First non-HTC android I've ever had, and I really like it.
  • KnuttinAtoll 12 Feb 2019 12:35:39 7,345 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yes, as I said in my above post.

And I'm not naive enough to believe the US are the 'good guys' (in my younger years I did actually believe that, silly me) but they have the market by the balls in terms of software at least. Not much I can do about so I bend over by using Android (over iOS which I consider a worse choice personally albeit for different reasons).

Due to the various stories of Chinese phones including spying functionality in the hardware (please do correct me if I got the wrong end of the stick here) I decided I'm not taking the risk of being affected by it. Not sure why that is so difficult to grasp for some.
  • JamboWayOh 12 Feb 2019 12:39:09 14,150 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:
    JamboWayOh wrote:

Are you saying I may as well go all in by buying a Chinese phone on a US operating system, rather than a Non-Chinese phone on a US operating system?

While we don't have much choice OS wise, we still do in terms of hardware, at least for now.
    No, I'm saying they're all as bad as each other and you're principles are going to be compromised in some way. I suppose it's the lesser of two evils.
  • KnuttinAtoll 12 Feb 2019 12:40:38 7,345 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    I suppose it's the lesser of two evils.
    Precisely my point
  • KnuttinAtoll 12 Feb 2019 12:43:57 7,345 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyways. Seems I have to return and exchange one of the phones due to that yellow tint. It's really noticeable side by side with the missus' one.

Buying gadgets used to be such a joy but the likelihood of getting a dud is so much bigger nowadays it seems. Fucking hate smartphone shopping.
  • Tonka 12 Feb 2019 12:45:58 29,664 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    My point is that now you have given root access to US and Chine. By buying Huawei you only grant China root.
  • KnuttinAtoll 12 Feb 2019 12:49:42 7,345 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    My point is that now you have given root access to US and Chine. By buying Huawei you only grant China root.
    What do Huawei's run on? MaoTseDOS?
  • JamboWayOh 12 Feb 2019 12:50:54 14,150 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:
    Tonka wrote:
    What do Huawei's run on? MaoTseDOS?
    Bravo.
  • Tonka 12 Feb 2019 12:56:56 29,664 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    👏👏👏👏
  • nickthegun 12 Feb 2019 13:55:37 78,293 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    If you care about privacy, don't have a phone.

If you care about privacy and need a phone, get an iPhone.
  • Tonka 12 Feb 2019 13:57:37 29,664 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Ask Jennifer Lawrence about that
  • nickthegun 12 Feb 2019 14:01:07 78,293 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah, someone hacked into her iCloud account. Which has definitely never happened to anyone's Google+, Dropbox, twitter or Facebook accounts.
  • THFourteen 12 Feb 2019 14:04:27 52,549 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    They didn't really "hack" in did they? They guessed her password IIRC.
  • nickthegun 12 Feb 2019 14:10:16 78,293 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I think, at this point of the internet, we have moved past 'hack' pedantry and accepted it now just means 'break in'.

But, yes, I think it was social engineering rather than any real flaw in the software, unlike the other hacks.

So....yeah, you're right.... that is a chunky differentiation.

Edited by nickthegun at 14:11:37 12-02-2019

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.