Which phone should I buy? Page 56

• Tonka 10 May 2019 23:16:47 29,757 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    A friend of mine bought a used, restaurant grade ice cream machine online and got a dick pick along with the product shots.

He still shows it at parties. The dick pick that is.
  • fontgeeksogood 11 May 2019 06:22:59 6,722 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Dickenpick ice cream
  • JamboWayOh 11 May 2019 08:27:04 14,657 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Now packed with more smegma.
  • SamNunn92 19 May 2019 18:37:16 846 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anyone here got an Honor View 20? Very are doing them for £370 at the mo and have been looking to upgrade my iPhone 6 for ages.
  • Vice.Destroyer 19 May 2019 20:10:19 7,257 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I haven't got any hands-on experience with the Honor View 20, but the review suggests it is an utter beast. Jumping from the iPhone 6 will leave you stunned. In my humble opinion.
  • Dougs 19 May 2019 21:58:02 90,183 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Rumours that Google are pulling Huawei's Android license....
  • SamNunn92 19 May 2019 22:39:27 846 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Vice.Destroyer thanks, I've gone for it so really hope so! Unless the Android licence being pulled turns it into a brick before it even arrives. Fuck.

Edited by SamNunn92 at 22:44:47 19-05-2019
  • nickthegun 19 May 2019 22:57:10 78,482 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Rumours that Google are pulling Huawei's Android license....
    Yeah, no more Google apps, play store or updates, apparently, and their service relationship has been severed so no more tech support.

Bit of a weird situation. Google have had to do it because America have them on a blacklist but the only people getting fucked, really, are Europeans.
  • fontgeeksogood 20 May 2019 00:21:55 6,722 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    FOUR MORE YEARS
  • SnackPlissken 20 May 2019 07:19:03 1,134 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Would you want a phone that doesnít have access to the play store, and their security fixes etc? Iím sure Huawei will try and push their own, but it doesnít appeal to me.
  • Tonka 20 May 2019 07:33:03 29,757 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yeah, the smart move now is to not buy a Chinese phone. This is what a lot of power in the hands of a madman can look like.

Thing is, if keeping US at the number one spot is your top priority, then this is the way to go.

(I'm about to buy a Chinese phone btw)

Edited by Tonka at 07:34:23 20-05-2019
  • RedPanda87 20 May 2019 07:54:51 1,930 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I have a Huawei (well, an Honor) and the vast majority of other phones that I'm interested in are Chinese ones so could be under threat. This could become a real problem.
  • sport 20 May 2019 08:17:10 15,168 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    According to the news this morning (radio4) the restriction in services/updates would only come into effect for the next version of android coming out later this year.
  • nickthegun 20 May 2019 08:37:41 78,482 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Thing is, if keeping US at the number one spot is your top priority, then this is the way to go.
    This has been a long time coming. 'Fuck you, we are China' was going to wear thin sooner or later and, unfortunately, it took a knobhead with a hair trigger to finally do something about their shameful business 'practices'.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 20 May 2019 08:41:58 3,564 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Shows us why having all the mainline smartphone OS frameworks from one country, specifically the US, is a bad idea. Time for some viable alternatives I think, although breaking the Android stranglehold doesn't sound easy (ios is its own beast as it is only an American company's own phones so a different scenario than the supposedly 'open ' Android).

I had been half looking at some Chinese phones for when I finally need to upgrade my LG V20 (which is likely coming sooner rather than later) so things like this don't look good when most if the interesting phones seem to be Chinese at the moment.
  • Load_2.0 20 May 2019 09:46:36 29,742 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    If you take a dick pic with a Chinese phone they upload it onto their database so they can track you anywhere in the world.
  • Tonka 20 May 2019 10:30:43 29,757 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    One_Vurfed_Gwrx wrote:
    most if the interesting phones seem to be Chinese at the moment.
    I've spent the weekend looking for a new phone to buy and honestly... not even the Chinese ones are that super exciting. Sure, Huawei P30 Pro looks cool with the zoom and everything. But I have a "real" camera and zoom isn't that important to me.

I think phones are finally, truly, commodities now. The differentiator will be in software so either Pixel or iPhone going forward I guess.

I'll buy the Moto One Vision this time just because it's so ridiculously cheap. In two years I'll hopefully be able to buy a Pixel in Sweden.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 20 May 2019 11:02:24 3,564 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The convenience of a reasonable phone camera can be handy sometimes when you haven't planned to carry your DSLR/mirrorless with you. The widescreen camera on my V20 even proved useful before I bought my own UWA lena for my DSLR on a holiday for the odd photo.

I had looked a little at the P30 standard but it is pricy for a backup even if the night capability is supoosed to be very nice. The fixed telephoto cameras on the latest mobiles seem a bit pointless but ultrawide can be handy. I also looked at the P20s for their mono lens as well but unfortunately that got dropped for the ultrawide and no phone has both options. The new Nokia with its weird array of cameras are all still standard angle.

After that, as you say, it is just a case of looking at software and basic hardware such as processors, screens and batteries. The Pixel 3A looks reasonable but a bit pricy for what it is. I fear budget phones may feel worse than my outdated flagship but no idea how the midrange processors are really these days. I don't want a downgrade ideally, it is bad enough that I will lose removable battery support that drove me to importing the V20 in the first place.
  • Load_2.0 20 May 2019 11:07:47 29,742 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yeah phones have little appeal to me at the moment.

My S8 does everything I need. I will get a new battery for this and unless I lose it (highly likely) won't bother with a new phone for a couple more years.
  • Tonka 20 May 2019 11:12:02 29,757 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    You've got a point wrt good computational night shots. A decent phone camera can definitely fill a spot there. I'm in a good position since I've never had a flagship phone, so I won't feel as if I'm stepping down no matter what I buy.

Battery life is important though. I really don't want to need a charger in the office. I used to swear by OLED but since I've stopped reading books on my phone I'm hoping the switch to LCD won't be too painful.
  • nickthegun 20 May 2019 11:20:08 78,482 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    That's the only thing I'm really arsed about. I'm still rolling with an iPhone 7 and it needs a charge at least once during the day.

That and the camera, otherwise I wouldn't bother upgrading. It plays candy crush and plays the YouTubes, so it's fine.

My contract is up in a month or so, by which time the pixel 4 will be out, so the pixel 3 may be the 'mid range' pick for a while.
  • fontgeeksogood 20 May 2019 12:36:55 6,722 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    AFAIK, pretty much all phones are made in China except Pixel (HTC) and Samsung. Did this make this decision a bit easier
  • Tonka 20 May 2019 12:59:56 29,757 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    This cold war will be an interesting one. One of Chinas counterattacks could be to hike the tax on all tech going out of the country, putting pressure on consumers and companies alike. On the other hand that would make it viable to start up factories elsewhere, which isn't very good for China.

Huawei better just hand the NSA the key to the backdoors so we can go back to normal.
  • Malek86 20 May 2019 13:13:12 8,740 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    One_Vurfed_Gwrx wrote:
    I fear budget phones may feel worse than my outdated flagship but no idea how the midrange processors are really these days. I don't want a downgrade ideally, it is bad enough that I will lose removable battery support that drove me to importing the V20 in the first place.
    This can definitely happen in terms of processing power, especially for games, but today's midrange phones (View 10, Galaxy A50, etc.) seem to have finally obtained a few A73 cores, which should make them a lot snappier than the models from a couple years ago.

The Galaxy A50 in particular has my attention. It seems to have most of the features from higher end phones: wide angle camera, AOD, fingerprint sensor, good quality screen. And the processor is decent for once, pretty surprising given that Samsung hardware was always underpowered in this price range.

My A5 2017 is starting to feel somewhat laggy even for basic operations (last time I get a phone with no high-performance cores). I don't feel like spending a lot of money, but that could be a better compromise than usual. The Pixel 3A looks interesting too, but a little too expensive for me. And I'd rather avoid Huawei given the recent news, so the View 10 is not on my radar.
  • nickthegun 20 May 2019 13:15:40 78,482 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Its probably good for the world in the long run that we wean ourselves off cheap shit from china and there are plenty of countries willing and able to take up the slave labour slack.

I would imagine that the risk managers at american tech companies already have b-sites mapped out.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 20 May 2019 13:32:08 3,564 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Its probably good for the world in the long run that we wean ourselves off cheap shit from china and there are plenty of countries willing and able to take up the slave labour slack.

I would imagine that the risk managers at american tech companies already have b-sites mapped out.
    Being tied by OS to the US and their political fancies is less of a good thing though, as this shows. What happens when they fall out with somebody else to help their domestic sales of products? And we don't want to be running Chinese phone OS with adverts everywhere and even more bloatware than normal so alternatives are a little narrow at the moment. Caving into the US government in such an anti-competetive manner also makes me lean away from Pixels (and the lack of a wide-angle camera).
  • senso-ji 20 May 2019 14:04:50 9,783 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Isn't Android open source? What's stopping Huawei from doing what Amazon did, and just host the google store on their own custom front end?

Not sure how Google's decision to comply will do anything other than harm the company itself - if people can't get a fully functioning Android Handset, they're just as likely to jump to Apple than they are to buy the Pixel or a Samsung.
  • nickthegun 20 May 2019 14:05:33 78,482 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Neither option is great, but something does need to be done about China but, yes, locking out an OS because of geopolitics isn't great.

And we wont be running Chinese OS's. Huawei have, apparently, got a bespoke OS as a plan B but its never going to catch on worldwide.

Obviously, the chairman can insist all Chinese phones run The Party OS, but no one outside china is going to run it on anything.
  • nickthegun 20 May 2019 14:15:18 78,482 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    senso-ji wrote:
    Isn't Android open source?
    Theres an open source fork, but to use the google suite of apps, you need the google seal of approval, so you can go open source, but theres no youtube or any certified third party apps cuz the app store is missing.
  • BinaryBob101 20 May 2019 14:29:45 26,973 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've just upgraded from last years Moto G6 Play to a Pixel 3a XL. For those wondering if the extra couple of hundred quid extra is worth it, then yes absolutely. Although it's not that more powerful, everything about it is a considerable leap forward, for me anyway.

The camera is as good as they say. It's quick. The build is very solid.

Recomeded.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.