Which phone should I buy? Page 57

• BinaryBob101 20 May 2019 14:37:46 26,821 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh and the OLED screen coming from Motorola cheap end is absolutely brilliant. Blacks are deep and colours are great.
  • THFourteen 20 May 2019 14:55:50 51,988 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Come on man itís a phone. Do people really care how deep the blacks are?
  • fontgeeksogood 20 May 2019 15:14:40 6,084 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Black screens matter
  • BinaryBob101 20 May 2019 15:29:54 26,821 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @THFourteen I don't, some might - don't really see why you're upset about a deep blacks comment. Weirdo. Something to get upset about I guess.

The screen is a fuckton better than budget phones though.
  • nickthegun 20 May 2019 15:38:18 77,851 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Phone screens are an odd one.

The OLED screen on the S8 is so clearly better than the one on the iPhone 7 it almost takes me by surprise when I use it.

But then when im using the iPhone, I dont really care.
  • JamboWayOh 20 May 2019 15:45:36 13,225 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    That's the really it's something to put on the checklist but honestly I just don't notice or care about things like the deepness of the blacks when I'm looking at random shit on YouTube.
  • THFourteen 20 May 2019 15:48:04 51,988 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @BinaryBob101 I wasnít upset!

Itís just something I hear so much especially in reviews and maybe on a tablet sized device the quality of the screen really matters but after a certain point surely there are diminishing returns. Feels like they just use it as another excuse to get people to upgrade perfectly good phones.
  • BinaryBob101 20 May 2019 16:02:36 26,821 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well, if the jump in quality wasn't worth mentioning I wouldn't have mentioned it! :D Thing is, the reason I bought it was purely for the camera, many others will do the same and for some of them those black levels may be super-important!
  • sport 20 May 2019 16:06:53 14,996 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Vantablack or GTFO!
  • Tonka 20 May 2019 16:30:29 29,537 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Come on man itís a phone. Do people really care how deep the blacks are?
    My phone is my main screen. When I read books I liked reading white on black at night, didnt light up the room.
  • Tonka 20 May 2019 16:37:20 29,537 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    One_Vurfed_Gwrx wrote:
    Caving into the US government in such an anti-competetive manner also makes me lean away from Pixels (and the lack of a wide-angle camera).
    It's not caving. They have to follow the law or they'll end up in jail. Like that Huawei lady in Canada.

The US are superpicky with trafe regulation stuff. Seing that power in the hand of a madman isn't very nice. The way he personally fucked Huawei with the stroke of a pen is worrying.

I wonder what WTO will have to say about it.
  • BinaryBob101 20 May 2019 16:41:05 26,821 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Some people think their phone display is important, some do not. Whodathunkit?
  • Tonka 20 May 2019 16:50:33 29,537 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Right now im on a real shit phone. Those who think screens don't matter should spend 10minutes on this one.

Oled or lcd might not be the end of the world though.
  • nickthegun 20 May 2019 16:52:57 77,851 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Tonka wrote: The way he personally fucked Huawei with the stroke of a pen is worrying.
    The finer detail is that it's impossible to separate Huawei, the phone business and Huawei, the state sponsored technology company suspected of building backdoors into nation state level infrastructure.
  • paulboy81 20 May 2019 17:42:30 284 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just bought a Xiaomi Mi 8 Lite (4GB/64GB) to replace the phone my 2 year old daughter commandeered and launched across our living room, shattering the display into a billion pieces.

It's crazy what £150-£200 gets you now isn't it?

It's nice looking, light, fast to use, has a decent screen and the battery life so far is promising. Even gaming performance isn't bad, with the likes of Asphalt 9 and PUBG handing in more than respectable performance.

Makes me wince just thinking about how much the flagship phones cost these days in comparison.
  • SnackPlissken 20 May 2019 18:26:37 985 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Iím all about battery life over amazing screen.
  • Tonka 20 May 2019 18:36:17 29,537 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    SnackPlissken wrote:
    Iím all about battery life over amazing screen.
    Well, seeing as amoled is a big powersaver, you can have both.
  • nudistpete 20 May 2019 18:43:57 673 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Well, seeing as amoled is a big powersaver, you can have both.
    I can get crazy amounts of use out of my LG V30, and in night mode with the brightness low it lasts forever. The reddit for it seems to consist of people willy waving about it (posting screenshots of their screen on time).

Shame LG's update policy is to just not make any. This will be my last LG device, I think.
  • nudistpete 20 May 2019 18:50:01 673 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    paulboy81 wrote:
    Just bought a Xiaomi Mi 8 Lite (4GB/64GB)
    Definitely keep the thread updated when you've got some more time with it, I'm seriously considering the xiaomi route instead of upgrading this year. I've bought a couple of different mi things, including their "$15 airpods" (redmi airdots) and they've always been amazing value for money. The only thing that puts me off is the miui software, I prefer as close to stock android as possible.
  • THFourteen 20 May 2019 18:52:58 51,988 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @nudistpete

I had a mi max 3 last year which I LOVED. The only problem with it was the lack of HD Netflix support and the camera was terrible relative to my iPhone X.
  • paulboy81 20 May 2019 18:58:25 284 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    nudistpete wrote:
    Definitely keep the thread updated when you've got some more time with it, I'm seriously considering the xiaomi route instead of upgrading this year. I've bought a couple of different mi things, including their "$15 airpods" (redmi airdots) and they've always been amazing value for money. The only thing that puts me off is the miui software, I prefer as close to stock android as possible.
    Will do.

Me and the wife have had a few Xiaomi products (Smart Watches and the like) and we've always been over the moon with them.

Miui software is fairly unintrusive thus far, although I will say that the lack of an app screen (i.e swipe up to see all of your apps) is definitely a bit weird.
  • BeheretiK 21 May 2019 08:56:26 922 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Speaking of Xiaomi, I got this a couple of weeks ago:

la-575867162132&gclid=Cj0KCQjww47nBRDlARIsAEJ34bkKAT8EU1qMVranUD8y3HDTiHkb_DNcZw0AC3UoYa8oFpjcl-UGac8aAnatEALw_wcB" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Black Shark

There is a Black Shark 2 coming (or out already, I'm not sure) which might be the reason it was so cheap but really, you get a lot for £270. It looks great (IMO) and feels nice and solid. Importantly, the screen is great, is very responsive. The battery is excellent - I generally get almost 2 days although I don't game a lot on it ironically. When you do game there is a little controller that you can attach and a dedicated game mode that you can set that can clear all memory and even switch off communication (can be configured) so that you get the most out of game performance. I work from home so I'm not too bothered with that aspect (although it is nice for the odd game I play) but the rest of the phone functions work perfectly for me.

I love a tech bargain and this hits that spot perfectly!
  • magicpanda 23 May 2019 19:58:23 14,845 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Got a Pixel 3a to replace my ageing oneplus2 today which is still going strong apart from the charging cable wont hold in place.

Anyway, it's very slick, no bloatware and came with a free Google Home Hub. The speaker in it surprisingly good for bedtime podcasts but the best part is I've convinced my 7 year old he can turn it on with the power of his mind as the fingerprint sensor is underneath.

He concentrates really hard.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 24 May 2019 08:20:28 3,486 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I am still debating upgrading my aging V20 as its battery life is getting worse on both batteries (and I have never quite been brave enough to buy a third parry battery for it which is odd as I had no problems with them on my S2 and S5) and also things like security updates may be nice. I am torn though as I only previously upgraded phones when they died (wear and tear killed my S2 finally around the S6 release so I got an S5 and my S5 fell out of my pocket to never be seen again so counted as dead) so feels a bit frivolous (my vibration motor died on this phone for a while too which started me looking at replacements until it magically fixed itself again).

As I said earlier in the thread I have real cameras for planned photos but something half decent in the pocket all of the time is a bonus and some phone cameras have features that I don't have easy access to like decent night shots (P30) or mono cameras (Nokia 9, P20s). But actually making a choice is hard as Huawei seems a dangerous buy right now for a P30 (and P20s haven't really dropped too much in price to make up for their age). The Nokia 9 looks interesting but seems to have a lot of flaws (and a low capacity battery) that I am not sure they will fix satisfactorily. In normal phones been looking at the likes of the Mi 9 and ZenFone 6 (really like the look of the 5,000 battery with flagship specs) but finding it hard to choose. At least I can take my time while the V20 is behaving (on the OLED argument my V20 has nice screen and isn't OLED but didn't feel like a step back from my S5)

And then I have to find nice budget phones on contracts for my son and wife who are due an upgrade soon... Moto G7 Power has caught my eye for them but that sector looks even harder to choose within.
  • Tonka 24 May 2019 12:06:36 29,537 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Are you in a country where you can get a Pixel 3a? Then I'd do that if I were you. Great camera for a really low price and guaranteed software updates and not even Trump should be able to fuck it over.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 24 May 2019 20:09:10 3,486 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    UK, I looked at Pixel 3A but its battery is pretty small. The updates is a nice bonus of course with them. Being plastic and not glass backed sounds like a bonus too. I don't understand the design decision of only having a wide-angle lens on the selfie side of the phone where it would surely he more more useful on the other side. And yeah, I am second guessing myself at every phone I look at.
  • BinaryBob101 25 May 2019 23:02:04 26,821 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Get an XL, battery life is great.
  • RyanDS 4 Jun 2019 15:49:30 12,757 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyone got any idea why my iPhone X is so shit? GPS is appalling and regularly when I am on the motorway I get told to do a u turn etc, but I put that down to shitty phone and learned to live with it the last year.

But I am finding lately the internet is getting worse and worse. For example on 4g with good connection EG will time out around 50% of the time. When stuff does load it takes 20 seconds. It also varies by site. BBC loads fine around 85%, EG 50.

Any ideas? It canít be my specific phone as it happened on my original and the replacement after being stolen. I used to think it was a Vodafone issue, but 6 weeks ago switched to EE and still same problem. Happened around the country, from London to Isle of Man, and case makes no difference so nothing blocking signal.
  • nickthegun 4 Jun 2019 15:53:23 77,851 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Is it the same everywhere, because 4G isn't always 4G.

I get full bars on my iPhone most places on Vodafone and it's pretty snappy. I get full bars at work and it's absolute dogshit.

The phone is registering the same level of connection but there seems to be a deadzone of half a mile in every direction from our building.
  • nickthegun 4 Jun 2019 15:53:48 77,851 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Oh, it is. Forget that then.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.