Which phone should I buy? Page 61

• OnlyJoeKing 17 Jan 2020 12:18:19 1,088 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've got a Note 9 (but like a big Samsung with a stylus) and it's massive. Nice to use but you definitely know it's in your pocket. Don't regret it exactly but I'll probably go for something smaller next time.
  • Deleted user 17 January 2020 14:25:47
    Ref good android phones, I've a Redmi Note 7 and for the money (£150), its a great piece of kit. Does everything I want fast with a good screen and decent camera.

It isn't waterproof and the notification light is a bit small, but value for money its great and compares pretty well with my kid's iPhone 11 which is about 4 times the price.
  • HarryB 19 Jan 2020 11:59:19 7,626 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Nobody wants my pixel 2 I feel sorry on it so itís going to become my work phone instead

Itís a great little phone, just the battery let it down for me. Better than the J6 I was given which already has a cracked screen and scuffs all over. Not built well at all.
  • b-rk 19 Jan 2020 13:56:54 1,278 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Pixel 2 is a good phone, let down imo by the fingerprint scanner. It's still better than most android phones, though. S10e is probably the best phone around right now.
  • StixxUK 19 Jan 2020 14:55:11 8,330 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Think I'm gonna go for a OnePlus 7t

Pro doesn't seem worth the extra. What would make the galaxy S10 better? Seems like water resistance and wireless charging Vs price, power and battery life...
  • HarryB 19 Jan 2020 16:43:13 7,626 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    b-rk wrote:
    Pixel 2 is a good phone, let down imo by the fingerprint scanner. It's still better than most android phones, though. S10e is probably the best phone around right now.
    Canít say I ever had an issue with the fingerprint scanner, itís fast and in the natural resting position of your index finger, so handy to pull down the notification shade without stretching your thumb

Just battery life that lets it down for me, and no wireless charging
  • b-rk 19 Jan 2020 17:30:26 1,278 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Hm, maybe a Pixel 2 XL thing or just my phone was weird. The battery was excellent on the XL.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 5 Feb 2020 09:38:46 25,590 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ended up with the S10 plus, had it a few days now. I'm not normally particularly arsed about phones but it's really quite sexy. No sign of the bloatware either. RECOMONDED
  • Zerobob 5 Feb 2020 09:57:32 2,449 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My OnePlus 3T's battery is on its last legs. I'd keep it longer if I could replace the battery because it's been a great phone and I know I'll miss something about it, whether it be the stupidly fast charging, stupidly fast fingerprint reader, or the non-bloated version of Android it runs.

Only problem with the 7T is it's £150 more than I paid for the 3T. Still not bad I suppose, but I hate the notch.
  • TitanWarlord93 5 Feb 2020 10:07:30 465 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I currently have a S10 Plus and it is really reliable and looks and feels good to use too. If you're not willing to spend so much on a phone then the A70 is a fantastic choice too. OnePlus 7 pro is decent too with no notches just a pop up camera.
  • Sharz 5 Feb 2020 14:26:48 1,966 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Anyone have experience with newish Xiaomi phones? I know MiUI was traditionally terrible but from a what I hear 10 was ok and version 11 has refined it even more.

Tempted by one of the Mi9s that will start to go cheap or the Mi9T Pro.
  • DodgyPast 5 Feb 2020 15:09:04 9,342 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Sharz wrote:
    Anyone have experience with newish Xiaomi phones? I know MiUI was traditionally terrible but from a what I hear 10 was ok and version 11 has refined it even more.

Tempted by one of the Mi9s that will start to go cheap or the Mi9T Pro.
    Don't they have ads in really annoying places?

I've got a P20 Pro which has been my favourite phone ever and will probably get me to a third year. It may even last longer because I'd really want to replace it with anoth Huwawi but I couldn't without Google services... I feel that anything else is going to be a dissapointment as I none of the other manufacturers seem to match it when considering balancing bang for buck against attention to detail and support.
  • deez 5 Feb 2020 17:26:52 301 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @DodgyPast I'm in a similar position, love the p20 pro but I just dropped it and so have a cracked back and camera lens. Still works perfectly, waterproofing aside, but as my contracts up I've been looking at other phones but nothing is really of interest...
  • StixxUK 5 Feb 2020 22:03:29 8,330 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Zerobob wrote:
    My OnePlus 3T's battery is on its last legs. I'd keep it longer if I could replace the battery because it's been a great phone and I know I'll miss something about it, whether it be the stupidly fast charging, stupidly fast fingerprint reader, or the non-bloated version of Android it runs.

Only problem with the 7T is it's £150 more than I paid for the 3T. Still not bad I suppose, but I hate the notch.
    Same position here, though for me it's the battery and the camera focus that's gone. I could probably bring myself to replace one or the other but both probably means it's time for a new phone.

7t seems the best bang for buck though I can't deny a better camera, water proof rating and wireless charging would all be nice. Not as nice as the several hundred pound premium I'd have to pay for those things though!
  • Vice.Destroyer 26 Jul 2020 21:20:09 7,311 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I am very tempted to get myself the Huawei P30 Pro New Edition, because I want to treat myself. Anyone agree it is a tasty, yet expensive phone?
  • barchetta 26 Jul 2020 21:37:43 2,520 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    What's the score with Huawei and Google now? My wife was looking at phones with decent cameras for around £400. The iPhone SE just about fits, but the Honors and Huaweis from around 300 and up to £400 appear to have pretty decent cameras - on paper better than the iPhone. She isn't a big app users - Spotify, Email Phone and Camera are most important so perhaps Huawei's OS may book.
  • nudistpete 26 Jul 2020 23:32:05 1,215 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    barchetta wrote:
    What's the score with Huawei and Google now?
    Quite a lot of devices still have google services and these will remain with google services for life. The new flagship (P40) and some of the new Honor cheapo devices don't, but curiously some of the newer devices do have Google because they've had their internals already certified by Google. So you need to google to find out.

Note that the official Spotify app isn't yet on Appgallery (Huawei's app store) but it looks like there are some unofficial ones, if you don't get a google certified phone.
  • nudistpete 26 Jul 2020 23:37:28 1,215 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Vice.Destroyer wrote:
    I am very tempted to get myself the Huawei P30 Pro New Edition
    If you can get it for a good price I'd do it. I'm a very satisfied and nude Huawei (well, Honor) user and would not hesitate to buy another one. That phone comes with google services, as well.
  • Vice.Destroyer 26 Jul 2020 23:48:02 7,311 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I have the Huawei P20 Pro and have had it for almost two years. I am a huge fan. That's why I wanted to go for the P30 Pro New Edition. Can't get it for a good price though. But am still tempted. It will either be that our the Honor 20 Pro. Google Services are a must for me, so it will come down to either of those two phones.

Edited by Vice.Destroyer at 23:48:24 26-07-2020
  • nudistpete 26 Jul 2020 23:53:47 1,215 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Vice.Destroyer I have the Honor 20 Pro if you have any questions. I love it - it performs awesomely. I do miss an OLED display, though, but the placement of the fingerprint sensor is perfect - I have no idea why the main brands are persisting with in-screen sensors when Honor have perfected it.
  • Vice.Destroyer 26 Jul 2020 23:58:13 7,311 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Thanks for the offer. I bought the Honour 20 Pro for my missus, so am already convinced of its greatness. Personally speaking, I think it's an even better phone than my P20 Pro. I just have to ask myself the question whether or not the x50 zoom on the P30 Pro is worth the £200 premium versus the sticker price of the Honor 20 Pro. Maybe I can become a peeping Tom and make it worth my money.
  • Zerobob 28 Jul 2020 10:46:03 2,449 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyone else going to buy a OnePlus Nord when they go in sale next week? I certainly am, mainly because I like Oxygen OS and the price.

The only thing that irks me slightly about OnePlus is that they've been gradually increasing their prices over the last 3 years and now suddenly £400 gets you a "midrange" phone rather than a "flagship killer" like my OnePlus 3T was at launch... The 3T had a flagship SoC at launch.
  • Vice.Destroyer 28 Jul 2020 19:34:25 7,311 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    That OnePlus Nord is an exciting proposition, but I have to be honest, the Honor 20 Pro
    at £379 (with a further £30 off, if bought by 31/7/20) and a free gift of either bluetooth speakers or bluetooth earphones or cheapo fitness tracker, is a better value proposition. Camera is *fantastic*. Here is a review

Edited by Vice.Destroyer at 19:34:52 28-07-2020
  • StixxUK 31 Jul 2020 14:21:28 8,330 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Now thinking the ideal phone is probably the Galaxy S20 (imported Snapdragon version)

Nice camera
    Nice screen
    bit smaller than average
    Wireless charging/IP rating

Just gotta wait it out and see what the Pixel 4A has to offer come Monday.

That Honor 20 Pro does look appealing though! Great camera for the price. That's the only thing stopping me from buying the Oneplus Nord.

Was also looking at OP8 Pro but the curved screens and size put me off a bit.
  • Zerobob 31 Jul 2020 16:45:37 2,449 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think I'm still going to go for the cheapest Nord for £380. Yes the Honor 20 Pro looks good on paper and has a good camera - same goes for the Poco F2 - but I think when it comes down to it the combination of Oxygen OS and a 90hz display will make the most difference day to day.

A snappy no-nonsense UI is crucial, plus it offers loads of actual useful screen-off gestures and customisation options that I'd miss too much moving away from a OnePlus phone.
  • Dougs 31 Jul 2020 17:43:09 94,622 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    £30 off at John Lewis if you sign up for their clubcard thing

https://www.johnlewis.com/oneplus-nord-smartphone-android-8gb-ram-6-44-inch-5g-lte-sim-free-128gb/p5095244

Edited by Dougs at 17:43:16 31-07-2020
  • StixxUK 31 Jul 2020 20:04:19 8,330 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I just really want a good camera and it doesn't look like the Nord is that.

Hence will see what Pixel 4A does

I'd be all over the Pixel 4 were it not for the poor battery life
  • Dirtbox 1 Aug 2020 00:13:22 91,412 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I honestly can't see a single reason how the big boys can justify their price tags any more. A grand for a phone that does the same as a phone that's around 200 notes can fuck itself.
  • Vice.Destroyer 1 Aug 2020 00:42:17 7,311 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    StixxUK wrote:
    I just really want a good camera and it doesn't look like the Nord is that.

Hence will see what Pixel 4A does

I'd be all over the Pixel 4 were it not for the poor battery life
    Honor 20 Pro has a better camera than the Pixel 4. And I am willing to bet it has a better camera than the upcoming 4a.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.