Which phone should I buy? Page 64

• nickthegun 19 Aug 2020 10:39:44 86,445 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I would maybe think about the possibility of considering it if it made just a few more concessions to being an actual phone with an external screen so you dont have to crack it open all the time and its just too big to do anything other than put in a bag.

I dunno. I just dont get it. I cant see the point of a dual screen in this form and, really, its not a surface. Its just a foldable chromebook, which is fine but, if im buying a 'surface' I want a surface.

I honestly cannot see the point of this at all other than if you really didnt want to carry a phone and a tablet around with you at the same time. But even then, it looks like an inferior experience as a tablet and a terrible experience as a phone.
  • robthehermit 19 Aug 2020 12:40:39 8,420 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    General_Martok wrote:

2 weeks later I ordered a note ultra 🙈
    Ordered mine this morning.
  • robthehermit 21 Aug 2020 16:23:26 8,420 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    My new phone case has arrived (cheapo case from amazon), but no sign of my phone yet :(

Had email from Samsung yesterday saying it's been dispatched, will arrive tomorrow. Had email from DPD yesterday saying your parcel will arrive tomorrow.

All the tracking info from DPD says is "We've received your order details, but have not yet received your parcel" so I guess I can forget about receiving anything until sometime next week, if ever.
  • General_Martok 21 Aug 2020 16:42:02 2,212 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @robthehermit

I'm in exactly the same position since Wednesday. I've called up samsung twice only to be told I'll get an email updating me both times.

I sent them a snotty email this morning.

I won't be ordering from them again.

To top it off the retards managed to send me the pre-order bonus (buds live) on Tuesday...well before the phone had even shipped.

Edited by General_Martok at 16:42:39 21-08-2020
  • robthehermit 21 Aug 2020 16:51:16 8,420 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    They'd apparently sold out of the buds by the time I got round to ordering, so I'm getting the controller, wireless charger and 3 months game pass. I would have preferred the buds (if only to sell them, and reduce the cost of the phone) but I'll actually use the the controller and charging stand so it's not the end of the world.
  • Load_2.0 21 Aug 2020 16:53:56 33,075 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Defo fire off some correspondence. Twitter is great for putting pressure on and getting free stuff thrown in as an apology.
  • General_Martok 22 Aug 2020 12:46:27 2,212 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Received a notification from DPD saying they have the parcel and will delivery between 1 and 2.

Then received a text from DPD saying the driver is delayed and but still aims to get to me by 3:57.

DPD support just said it's because the van has broken down and may not get to me before the end of the day and possibly not until Monday.

I think this phone is cursed. I don't want it.
  • Fonzie 22 Aug 2020 14:48:51 3,460 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Me and my wife both got our Note 20 Ultras yesterday. Lovely phone so far. Screen is fantastic.
  • General_Martok 22 Aug 2020 18:16:35 2,212 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I received mine at around 2 after all that.

The screen is indeed lovely!

Rob you should definitely send Samsung an email. I just received a £25 voucher from Samsung after bitching at them.
  • robthehermit 22 Aug 2020 18:27:49 8,420 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Using mine as I speak. It's rather lovely
  • Fonzie 23 Aug 2020 20:32:58 3,460 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    And I've just received my case for it. Went for the official samsung brown leather case. Enjoying using the phone so far. I have the bronze phone, wife went for the white one.
  • Load_2.0 25 Sep 2020 12:08:42 33,075 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I pre-ordered a Samsung S20 FE.

It's basically the watered down version of the S20. Main differences seem to be a lower res screen and a plastic (glasstic) back.

Was going to replace my S8 with the S10 but this looked like a better option.

I'm OK with the lower res as it gets a 120 refresh rate, it's 5G (For the covids) and has the same processor as the S20.

Also all my glass phones look/feel great but get covered in finger smudges so I'm OK with that surface change, also hoping glasstic is a little more resilient than gorilla glass as all the back glass on my phone has cracked at some point after a tumble.

Only design change that isn't ideal is the bezel, looks a little thick (bad thick not good thick)

Will probably be cheaper in 6 months but I got 100 trade in on one of my old samsungs and got a free X-Box controller/Gamespass.

The big selling point?

BTS! Squeeeeeel, they're sooooo dreamy.
  • StixxUK 25 Sep 2020 12:48:03 8,647 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I thought it was interesting the S20 FE 5G version has a Snapdragon processor in the UK... that'll sell a few more of the more expensive version!

Actually looking like a bit of a winner this one. Appears you get a free (decent) gaming controller if you pre-order and can get £100 off by trading in any old Android phone.

So £599 for a 5G Snapdragon S20, with a decent game controller thrown in...

Been waiting for the right time to replace my phone and it's probably now. Just got to see what the Pixel 5 and Oneplus 8T look like in the next couple of weeks and it's decision made.

Edited by StixxUK at 17:53:33 25-09-2020
  • Load_2.0 3 Oct 2020 11:18:47 33,075 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    The Samsung A20 is £290 at Argos. If your looking for a decent 5G phone, good screen, big battery. The camera isn't amazing but for the price its a bargain.
  • Load_2.0 3 Oct 2020 11:24:45 33,075 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Also if your looking at a Google Pixel 5 or 4a you can claim a free pair of Bose QC 35 II Wireless headphones.

Brought to you by your local Hotdealsuk pimp.
  • urban 3 Oct 2020 11:36:42 13,127 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I would get a 4A 5G but the chipset is 13% slower than my 3 year old OnePlus 5.

Snapdragon 835 is a monster of a chipset, they put it in laptops ffs. I'm still very happy with this phone if I could only upgrade the camera.

I wonder if that would work?
  • SolidSCB 3 Oct 2020 12:11:14 15,772 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nice one for that. I've had an upgrade waiting for me for well over a year now so I've pulled the trigger on a Pixel 5 with that offer.

Ive got a OnePlus 5T myself, and could easily have carried on with it tbh. Really good phones.
  • urban 3 Oct 2020 12:33:43 13,127 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=10386&idPhone2=8647#diff-

I would've too but goddamn, my phone beats it in almost every area?
  • seasidebaz 5 Oct 2020 21:17:48 7,500 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Made the switch from iPhone to Android. XS Max to Note 20 Ultra. The move of everything went great thanks to the Samsung tools and the screen is stunning but my god the battery life is shocking on this thing - down to 33% from full charge at 6:30am with moderate use where the iPhone would still be on 70% right now. Also don't like that cheap folio cases stop the s-pen working from their stupidly placed magnets.
  • Hiphopopotamus 5 Oct 2020 21:29:06 254 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Unpredictable battery life was what made me get an iPhone 11 Pro. Didnít realise the FE was snapdragon, thatís good! Much better for getting things like gcam etc.
  • Hiphopopotamus 5 Oct 2020 21:32:22 254 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    urban wrote:
    https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=10386&idPhone2=8647#diff-

I would've too but goddamn, my phone beats it in almost every area?
    What specs matter to you though?

For one the camera will obliterate it. Front and back. Trust me. Donít just look at the MP counts.

The screen is better, the battery is bigger, itís waterproof, itís gonna have years of fast updates, 8GB ram is nice, itís got 5g, the chipset isnít amazing but itís not gonna run badly, it has wireless charging too. Plenty things that are better?
  • StixxUK 5 Oct 2020 22:27:21 8,647 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Wish they'd hurry up with the Pixel 5 reviews

Getting tempted by the 4a because I love a bargain... And don't really need some ok headphones.
  • Hiphopopotamus 6 Oct 2020 00:56:05 254 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    StixxUK wrote:
    Wish they'd hurry up with the Pixel 5 reviews

Getting tempted by the 4a because I love a bargain... And don't really need some ok headphones.
    If you get the 4a 5G for 499 and sell the headphones for £150 youíd be the same price as the standard 4a. Better bargain.
  • StixxUK 6 Oct 2020 09:35:24 8,647 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @Hiphopopotamus nice idea, think ebay will be flooded with them though and the price pushed down... guess you'd still get at least £100 for them though!
  • Hiphopopotamus 6 Oct 2020 09:50:13 254 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    @StixxUK yeah it helps theyíre still well regarded so £100 minimum but some people are daft and get carried away on eBay. If theyíre new and sealed itís definitely achievable if not maybe £130 .. was half tempted myself
  • StixxUK 15 Oct 2020 08:33:50 8,647 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Damn Pixel 5 reviews have dropped - all say it's decent and sounds like it would be fantastic value with the headphone offer.

However it's now out of stock so unlikely to be back before the offer expires.

May be going for the Galaxy S20 FE after all!

Edit: never mind lots of retailers have it in stock and you can still claim the headphones. Just ordered from John Lewis to pick up tomorrow. Good times, now to hunt down a wireless charging mat and a case.

Edited by StixxUK at 08:43:13 15-10-2020
  • Zerobob 15 Oct 2020 09:28:25 2,939 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @StixxUK £600 is a bit more than I would want to spend on a phone these days, and I'm not sure the Pixel 5 is that good a phone or particularly great value for money, but that's still a great offer with the headphones. I sort of wish I didn't have the Sony XM3s already!

I noticed the offer on HUKD a few weeks back, but thought stock would likely be an issue. There are quite a few ins and outs in the Ts & Cs that I noticed, such as the date you order the phone, how to claim the headphones, quite a long delivery timeframe on the headphones, and it's also subject to stock.

Edit - It seems they've simplified the purchase timeframe to between 30th September and 19th October 2020, for either the Pixel 4a or 5, which is good.

Edited by Zerobob at 09:30:41 15-10-2020
  • SolidSCB 15 Oct 2020 09:33:56 15,772 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Mine should be with me at lunchtime today.

Seems like the perfect phone to carry me for the next few years. I've never been arsed about spending too much time on one or tying it into an ecosystem or anything. If it's reasonably snappy and allows me to keep up to date with firmware for the next however long I'm more than happy.

The headphones sealed the deal.
  • StixxUK 15 Oct 2020 09:36:08 8,647 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Planning on selling the headphones here. If I get £100 for them the phone ends up at £500 Compared with £700 for the Galaxy FE (would want the 5G version to avoid the crappy Exynos processor)

The only areas it seemed worse than the FE were
    Slower processor - only an issue for gaming, which I don't do on mobile
    No Telephoto - but better in all other camera stuff
    90hz vs 120hz display which I doubt is noticeable
    Front speakers - again I only ever really use earphones

It's smaller and considerably lighter which is a plus for me, and the cleaner software/quicker updates appeals greatly and with the headphones deal factored in, quite a bit cheaper.

Haven't seen any negative reviews of the Pixel 5 just quite a few saying you can get better value from Samsung - which based on the above isn't really the case for me personally!
  • SolidSCB 15 Oct 2020 20:31:21 15,772 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Had a few hours with the Pixel 5 now, I really like it. Very snappy, took no more than 20 minutes move all my files and apps across and the size and weight difference between this and my 5T is massive. It's going to be nice not carrying a brick around. Battery life seems very decent too.

Only real downside is the front camera seems a bit shit so far. Don't think it will be one for the premium lovers but for people wanting a decent phone with a bit of future proofing this could be the one. The headphones are a lovely bonus.

RECOMEDED
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.