Which phone should I buy? Page 66

• BillMurray 13 Jan 2021 13:05:40 9,665 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Had a message from o2 this morning saying they were bumping up the price of my sim only contract so I'm using it as an excuse to upgrade my beaten up Pixel 2XL to a Pixel 5. I'll miss the panda colour scheme body but I'm looking forward to a refresh.
  • Flying_Pig 16 Feb 2021 11:49:23 16,889 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Hmmm - my o2 contract is coming up for renewal and while I'd love to upgrade my OnePlus 6T, I'm not really sure what to go for...

The OnePlus 8T is available direct for £549 as o2 don't offer it, or I could get a Samsung s21 or maybe an Oppo somethingorother... Any suggestions on a decent 5G android phone??
  • freddymercurystwin 16 Feb 2021 11:59:14 2,554 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    After my HTC U11 battery died I've just (yesterday) signed up for an Oppo Find X2 Pro, I really wanted to stay with O2 so was a bit limited with choice, I don''t like Samsung's and cannot bear Apple's so there didn't seem a lot of other choice. Seems a little bit of a risk but hopefully I'll not be disappointed. Actually managed to negotiate a bit off so got it for £34/moth with 15GB data for 36 months. I think if the Pixel 5 had a slightly wider screen I'd have gone for that, they're available direct from Google on interest free so £25/month for 24 months for the phone.

Edited by freddymercurystwin at 12:01:59 16-02-2021
  • Competitivedad_ 16 Feb 2021 12:23:02 77 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Flying_Pig wrote:
    Hmmm - my o2 contract is coming up for renewal and while I'd love to upgrade my OnePlus 6T, I'm not really sure what to go for...

The OnePlus 8T is available direct for £549 as o2 don't offer it, or I could get a Samsung s21 or maybe an Oppo somethingorother... Any suggestions on a decent 5G android phone??
    I changed to the Google Pixel 5 from my OnePlus 6T, been really impressed with it, love the form factor and much prefer the finger print on the back and the battery life is incredible as was the 6T haven't used the 5G though
  • Competitivedad_ 16 Feb 2021 12:24:30 77 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    I was with O2 for years before going SIM only with Tesco mobile about 4 year ago, never looked back and wouldn't have a contract again.
  • b-rk 16 Feb 2021 12:47:15 1,684 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    i've been playing around with a realme 7 pro. bought really to pair with sony wh-1000xm3 as my s10e has shitty battery life these days and drains pretty quick with bluetooth on. it's much too big to use as a daily phone but it ticks all the audio boxes, has good battery life and and something called superdart (?) charging, so that's cool. the amoled screen isn't as vibrant as the samsung but it's decent. no complaints at all, really. the 65w charger really does charge it up quickly.
  • Flying_Pig 16 Feb 2021 13:46:42 16,889 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Hmmm - not a fan of Samsung either - although I do have one of their tablets and it's great...

O2 choice is definitely limited - and I'm wary of going for an Oppo...
  • RedPanda87 16 Feb 2021 13:54:39 2,132 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Flying_Pig wrote:

OnePlus 9 will be out in two or three months and the Oppo Find X3 is out in March. Long enough that you possibly wouldn't want to wait, but just fyi. Also, the OnePlus 8 Pro is better than the 8T (just in case you didn't realise) but obviously probably costs more too.
  • dfunked09 16 Feb 2021 14:08:16 1,901 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Competitivedad_ wrote:
    I was with O2 for years before going SIM only with Tesco mobile about 4 year ago, never looked back and wouldn't have a contract again.
    Yeah, been sim only for ages now and wouldn't go back unless it made sense financially, which it never does if you spend a tiny bit of time searching for decent SIM free phone deals.

If I wanted a S21 Ultra you're looking at £1600 with three over two years for example which is a crazy credit committment in these days of uncertainty. Or £915 for a US import with the superior chipset.
  • Load_2.0 16 Feb 2021 14:29:26 32,920 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Also been Sim Only for a few years.

Current deal is with O2, unlimited calls/texts and 10gb data for £8 a month.

Took it down from 20gb as I was barely using 2-3 each month..
  • nickthegun 16 Feb 2021 14:48:31 86,026 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    dfunked09 wrote:
    Yeah, been sim only for ages now and wouldn't go back unless it made sense financially
    Yeah, I used to be sim only but, unless my maffs was bad, when the iPhone 11 was released, it worked out cheaper to contract with sky than buy the phone and SIMO for the amount of data I wanted.

Now, obviously, I use no data and have like a million GB in my 'piggybank' but whatever...
  • Sharz 16 Feb 2021 14:57:06 2,085 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    If you have been happy with a Oneplus would reccommed against going to a Samsung. It will seem very cluttered and clunky, the Pixels are a good shout. But Pixels can seem very stripped back (good and bad).

For me Oneplus strike a good middle balance. No personal idea about ColorOS but heard good things.

The sort of people that like Samsung phones are the same people that like iPhones. Nothing wrong with that but it is a very certain type of user experience.

Edited by Sharz at 15:00:43 16-02-2021
  • Dougs 16 Feb 2021 15:13:11 98,694 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I don't think I can go with anything other than a Pixel now. Contract is up in a few months, will probably take a punt on a 5 interest free and SIM only. Keen to stay with EE though given their network coverage is excellent, meaning I actually get a signal in my house.ay even use more than 100MB of data a month this year.
  • andytheadequate 16 Feb 2021 15:23:40 9,542 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    dfunked09 wrote:
    Yeah, been sim only for ages now and wouldn't go back unless it made sense financially
    Yeah, I used to be sim only but, unless my maffs was bad, when the iPhone 11 was released, it worked out cheaper to contract with sky than buy the phone and SIMO for the amount of data I wanted.

Now, obviously, I use no data and have like a million GB in my 'piggybank' but whatever...
    You can use the piggy bank balance to buy sky store vouchers (i.e. for digital films/TV), if that helps. Or small discounts on overpriced tat in their store.

I'm still a bit annoyed that I fell for their Swap 24 contract. It wasn't a 24 month contract as I thought, but a 30 month one where you could upgrade your phone after 24. It was all in their terms, but I never thought to even check, and I'm assuming that's what they expect most idiots like me to do. I've now gone SIM only just to avoid that sort of tricks, or the temptation to upgrade when I don't need to.

I ended up with a Pixel 4a 5g for £450 and pretty pleased with it. It's the first non "flagship" phone I've had for a while, when paying monthly for something it's so easy to end up with a much fancier thing than you actually need.

Edited by andytheadequate at 15:25:09 16-02-2021
  • nickthegun 16 Feb 2021 15:31:12 86,026 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, it would have worked out more over 30 but they gave me a lot of data and a 6gb SIMO for the girl for a quid.

That said, yeah, I will be looking enviously at the new iphones in september.

Ugh... I can see it now. I'll pay the iphone 11 off, justifying it by giving it to my daughter as an upgrade on her iphone 7 just so I can get a 13.
  • freddymercurystwin 16 Feb 2021 15:57:57 2,554 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I've been sim only for about a year but when you need (want) to upgrade your device you don't have a lot of choice but to get a pay monthly if you want to avoid paying upfront. Apart from Google I'm not aware of any other manufacturers letting you buy their phones over 24 months.
  • Dougs 16 Feb 2021 16:05:56 98,694 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Samsung did/do similar iirc
  • SnackPlissken 16 Feb 2021 16:08:10 3,031 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Apple do as well.
  • freddymercurystwin 16 Feb 2021 16:38:49 2,554 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    My mistake, do that then. :)
  • Not-a-reviewer 16 Feb 2021 16:52:32 7,268 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You can spread payments via Amazon on most phones too.
  • robthehermit 16 Feb 2021 17:15:44 8,331 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Yeah, I picked up a Note 20 Ultra last year direct from Samsung, and I'm currently paying it off over two years, interest free with PayPal credit.
  • THFourteen 16 Feb 2021 17:17:45 54,352 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Vodafone doubled the price of my sim only contract to 20quid a month without me agreeing to it.

Hello PAC code.
    Hello GiffGaff
    Bye Bye Vodafone.

Oh whats that, you're ringing me now? I dont think i'll bother to answer.
  • Flying_Pig 16 Feb 2021 22:45:41 16,889 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    RedPanda87 wrote:
    Flying_Pig wrote:

OnePlus 9 will be out in two or three months and the Oppo Find X3 is out in March. Long enough that you possibly wouldn't want to wait, but just fyi. Also, the OnePlus 8 Pro is better than the 8T (just in case you didn't realise) but obviously probably costs more too.
    Ah, good point. I'll wait a few weeks and see what gets announced/released. However the call of the 'new shiny' is strong... :)
  • freddymercurystwin 19 Feb 2021 09:04:54 2,554 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Well the love is strong for my shiny Oppo Find X2 Pro (stupid names these phones have), everything superfast of course but I've not had much of a chance to take many pics but seems god so far, not quite got to grips with all the settings yet.

I donít think the fingerprint sensor is perfect but face recognition seems pretty well faultless so far and that overrides fingerprint when you want to unlock it, if youíve set it up like that. It doesnít help that theyíve put it in the glass about an inch up from the bottom, which is fine but you have to kind of guess/learn exactly where to stick your finger.

The screen is glorious of course, I was a bit worried about battery life after many reviews seemed to pull it up on that but I neednít have worried, I set it up on Wednesday night which took an hour or so for everything to transfer over and messed around with it for the rest of that evening and then charged it in the morning. I severely played around with it all through yesterday and last night and this morning it was down to 36% but then it supercharged back to full in about 15-20mins!

Itís not quite perfect I donít think but Iím sure I will sort through any niggles, the lack of a notification LED when the screen is off was annoying but I think Iíve solved that, it is a bit of a beast size wise and at the moment Iím struggling to find a proper tough case for it.
  • Tzit 19 Feb 2021 09:15:56 13 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Oppo Find X2 Pro. Definitely.
  • BurnoutJunkie 19 Feb 2021 10:47:00 1,197 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Iíve been on BT Mobile for about 3 or 4 years now, on a sim-only £15/month contract which gives me 20GB data, doubled to 40GB because I have their broadband. For some reason, my monthly cost never went up each year like other service providers Iíve been with - itís been stuck at this price for years. I was pretty pleased with this, just thought theyíd somehow forgot to increase mine...but last week I got a dreaded email saying my price is gonna rise soon, by about £0.60. I wonder why it took so long for this to happen. They keep trying to get me to upgrade my plan each year, e.g. pay £1 extra to get another 10-15GB, but I always say no because I donít even use 3-5GB a month. I just like having the room in case I need it and the monthly cost is pretty low as it is.

Anyone else on BT Mobile here? Curious to know if your prices have been rising each year.
  • BurnoutJunkie 19 Feb 2021 10:49:23 1,197 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Vodafone doubled the price of my sim only contract to 20quid a month without me agreeing to it.

Hello PAC code.
    Hello GiffGaff
    Bye Bye Vodafone.

Oh whats that, you're ringing me now? I dont think i'll bother to answer.
    What the heck! Doubled? Good on you for leaving. Though Iíve had poor experience with Giffgaff in the past. I joined and left within a month or two because of how slow and poor their data was at the time. Canít speak for now.
  • nickthegun 19 Feb 2021 10:55:26 86,026 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Their new TV add is funny. It never actually mentions they are a mobile network, so it only really works if you know who giffgaff are already and they state Ďif you have a problem, our community forums are ready to helpí like not having proper tech support is a good thing.

Edited by nickthegun at 10:55:42 19-02-2021
  • Load_2.0 19 Feb 2021 11:13:38 32,920 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    TBF their online gurus are far more knowledgeable on the tech than any call centre operator.
  • Flying_Pig 23 Mar 2021 19:45:23 16,889 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    OnePlus 9 and 9 Pro officially unveiled today. Pro looks nice, but I can't stomach dropping £830 on it, but tempted by the 9, which is £200 cheaper...
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.