Which phone should I buy? Page 4

• BurnoutJunkie 23 Jun 2014 19:03:10 1,197 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'm still looking to upgrade from my 2010 iPhone 4. How are Sony phones in terms of added bloatware? I don't want a Samsung, don't really like their build quality and all the shit pre-installed. I've seen friends with the latest phones that have noticeable lag.

Also considering: Nexus 5, OnePlus One, HTC One Mate, next iPhone and dare I say it...a Blackberry. I may even be interested in a Windows 8 phone. I don't use many apps, just need a few things like Google Maps, Twitter and the National Rail app. The latter I can probably live without because I could use the web browser.

All recommendations welcome.
  • Fourwisemen 23 Jun 2014 19:30:12 1,077 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @BurnoutJunkie

If there is one piece of advice I can give, considering you're leaving your options wide open, don't go Blackberry. Awful things.

As for the others, I'm an iPhone 5s user for personal and my work phone is a Galaxy Mini. For me I have to say I much prefer the iPhone but I can understand the attraction of Android.
  • RedPanda87 23 Jun 2014 19:35:00 2,139 posts
    Seen 37 seconds ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @BurnoutJunkie Sony phones have minimal bloat. My personal choice would be the HTC One M8- amazing build, very powerful, stylish UI. But they're all good bets except BlackBerry (seriously, don't even consider it). If you're happy with iOS then sticking with that may be the safest option though.
  • Deleted user 23 June 2014 19:38:34
    I'm still on iPhone 3, and it does everything I need from a phone:

Call
    Text - with ease using the touch screen
    Make notes - really simple to type away
    Play music
    Play music videos
    Take photo's - which look ok by phone standard
    If I really want, I can get on the web, although it is a weak aspect.
    Calculator - which i sometimes use

I don't bother with games on phones. I don't bother downloading apts either.
  • mothercruncher 23 Jun 2014 19:41:10 19,211 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Buy the phone that's right for you guys.
  • BurnoutJunkie 23 Jun 2014 20:02:10 1,197 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Thanks for the response, guys. Interesting on the Blackberry advice. I used to have a 8900 Curve back in the day, was top notch and had amazing battery life. The browser was shite though, but those days no-one really cared much for browsing the web on their phone.
  • Bowzer43 23 Jun 2014 21:42:38 1,891 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If blackberry continue making huge losses they will stop being a phone supplier in 12-18 months, they are already focusing more on the service side and less on hardware. Dead brand in waiting.
  • Bowzer43 23 Jun 2014 21:45:05 1,891 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If you want a vanilla Android experience then go nexus 5, they install nothing but Google apps and that's it. You also get updated first due to it being a Google device. The Sony and HTC M8 are also very good phones.
  • stevethemeat 23 Jun 2014 22:17:18 957 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Had a Nexus 5 for the past week, cant find fault with it at all.
  • damagedinc 25 Jun 2014 12:49:51 3,032 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Using htc m8 as i type and i have to say its a beautiful phone and some good deals going around at the mo. Im on 2gb data unlimited usage on calls and texts, no up front cost for 33 a month.

If looking at nexus hold off a little as a new one may be announced soon. I love my ipad but also enjoy android so alsways go for android phones.

Might be worth considering the lg g3 aswell
  • mikew1985 25 Jun 2014 13:00:00 15,483 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I think there is a good chance that Google have abandoned the Nexus range.

Hasn't been anything in so long.
  • Deleted user 25 June 2014 13:00:20
    As someone who's never used Android. What are the advantages over IOS? If any.

Been an iPhone user for the past 4 years and currently have the iPhone 5, the missus has the same and we have an iPad 2.
    We are both coming to the end of our contracts and I've been tempted to go for something else other than Apple as much as I've enjoyed he phones I've had.

Really liked the look of the HTC mate but was surprised by the size of the thing next to my iPhone.

Anyone moved from Apple and regretted it?

Are android phones as secure as Apple, are there services similar to iCloud etc...

Edited by CompetitiveDad at 13:02:42 25-06-2014
  • specialgamer 25 Jun 2014 13:06:26 690 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Are Android phones as secure as Apple? Answer is a big fat NO!
    http://mobile.slashdot.org/story/14/03/04/2322205/f-secure-android-accounted-for-97-of-all-mobile-malware-in-2013
  • Deleted user 25 June 2014 13:06:27
    The main difference between Android and iOS is in customisablity. With Apple products you do things the Apple way, doesnt matter if you want a feature or not for your phone to do XYZ. If Apple dont want you to do it you dont do it.

Where as Android is by defination open. You can make your phone look and work however you want. Iam not talking custom roms, just things like widgets and live wallpapers will go a long way to personalizing the phone.

All the old arguments, such as app selection and speed are irrelvant these days. Nothing seperates them in terms of daily use. Regarding secuirty if you stick to google play store it is not any different to apple. Of course you can go further a field and install what you want (not a choice with apple) but you do run risks.

Regarding the move and regret. That really depends on you, i know some people that went Apple to Android and hated it as they were so used to everything Apple they couldnt adjust. On the other hand i also know plenty of people that loved it and couldnt go back even if they tried.

Last point size. Many iPhone owners i know cant understand how i can use a 5" Phone and a few years ago i wouldnt believe i would use one either. However over time you get so used to it and makes web browsing so much better. When i have tried other phones such as the HTC 8X (4.3" screen) i have really struggled which such a 'small' phone. God knows how you iPhone uers cope with only 4", do you only use the phone for calls and no video or web?

Edited by Sharzam at 13:13:14 25-06-2014
  • specialgamer 25 Jun 2014 13:10:09 690 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If you don't mind owning an impractically large phone with a clunky UI and tonnes of apps that feel like Windows 3.1 shareware, then you can't go wrong with most modern Android devices.
  • Deleted user 25 June 2014 13:13:21
    Have an iPhone 5s for work, and a Galaxy S2+ personally. I say this as someone not exactly being an Apple lover, but I do prefer the iPhone's form factor. Android phones seem to get bigger and more unwieldy these days - am seriously considering switching to iOS simply due to the hardware rather than software as the feel of the handset is a lot more solid/manageable for me.

The customisability of Android is certainly great, but to be honest I haven't changed the layout on my S2 for ages and with iOS stuff just seems very well integrated, ie. things just work without a hitch (from my rather short experience with it, maybe 5 months and rather light use of non standard apps). Definitely on the fence at the moment, and wondering if Windows is a contender these days also.
  • Deleted user 25 June 2014 13:22:39
    Widgets are overrated anyways. Half the time they don't work correctly (no refresh even though they should etc.), and if they do they drain the battery and full functionality is only achieved by entering the app properly rather than interacting with the widget on the home screen only.
  • specialgamer 25 Jun 2014 13:28:50 690 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, Widgets are pants, although they are coming to iOS 8, anyway, along with custom keyboards and inter-app processes. So iOS will be a lot more customizable in its next release for those who care about such trivia.
  • specialgamer 25 Jun 2014 13:38:05 690 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Report is from earlier this year, everyone knows Android is a security nightmare compared to iOS.

http://www.sophos.com/en-us/security-news-trends/security-trends/malware-goes-mobile/why-ios-is-safer-than-android.aspx
  • specialgamer 25 Jun 2014 13:39:41 690 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    OK, keep head in sand...
    http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Protection-Blog/Android-vs-iOS-Which-is-More-Secure/ba-p/1122152
  • specialgamer 25 Jun 2014 13:40:57 690 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    More head, more sand:
    http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2331127/android-is-target-for-98-percent-of-all-mobile-malware
  • Deleted user 25 June 2014 13:46:31
    Steve_Perry wrote:
    I have a calculator, clock, calendar, google now, power saver and world clock widgets on my phone and not one of them has had a problem. Can't say I struggle for battery either. I can go two days with light use without charge (with the contrast on low).
    Not saying these are current problems but when I think about the widgets I've used over the past months and years, only 3-4 proved to work in a way that made the widget worthwhile. Most of the time it's faster to just click on the app shortcut.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.