Drugs in sports Page 3

• Load_2.0 25 Jul 2013 13:16:06 31,406 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Ignore the child, his 90's trolling and snappy one-liners are beyond boring.
  • Mr_Sleep 25 Jul 2013 13:20:38 23,211 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    By the way, I have been quoted numerous times now, I should point out that I was being somewhat facetious. Saying that, I do wonder what it is that drives athletes/sportsmen to start taking drugs in order to win. Winning by any means is a strange compulsion, isn't it something of a pyrrhic victory to win knowing that you have taken substances to enable that victory?
  • elstoof 25 Jul 2013 13:46:01 25,589 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah I got that a bit wrong didn't I! As you were.

Edited by elstoof at 13:56:27 25-07-2013
  • Load_2.0 25 Jul 2013 13:47:54 31,406 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Think you might have got that the wrong way round! Not sure it was directed at you...
  • Ashleyfiddes 25 Jul 2013 13:56:37 980 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    hey guys/gals please do your best to ignore mazty, he is just trying to get himself banned. He tried it on the Wii U discussion thread but it is such a clusterfuck it was not different to any normal conversation

Dont let him ruin this thread as it is still quite interesting to read (though i dont know enough of the subject to make a valid contribution, it does make me wonder about how many of todays sports stars currently use performance enhancing drugs)
  • elstoof 25 Jul 2013 13:57:16 25,589 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Sorry about that awful mix up.
  • Deleted user 25 July 2013 14:00:24
    Just out of interest, in this scenario where we let athletes take whatever drugs they want, and then they all start dying, what happens then?
  • Deleted user 25 July 2013 14:01:13
    I have just looked up this subject I know nothing about on wikipedia, so now I feel I can take you all on at an argument about it. I mean, it's patently obvious that steroids are oxidized mainly by cytochrome P450 oxidase enzymes, such as CYP3A4. These reactions introduce oxygen into the steroid ring and allows the structure to be broken up by other enzymes, to form bile acids as final products.[13] These bile acids can then be eliminated through secretion from the liver in the bile.[14] It's obvious that these athletes are just using the wrong kind of steroids. Anyone who says differently is just flat out wrong, as I have proven.
  • grey_matters 25 Jul 2013 14:11:03 5,199 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Just out of interest, in this scenario where we let athletes take whatever drugs they want, and then they all start dying, what happens then?
    And they will. Competition drives people to strange places.

Another issue with going down that angle is money. The best labs wil produce the best "athletes" and labs (and/or the results of the research) cost money. The chance of some kid from Grenada going on to become Olympic champion reduce from almost zero to pretty-much-exactly-zero.
  • Mr_Sleep 25 Jul 2013 14:40:52 23,211 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Put it down to (somewhat un)natural selection?
  • Deleted user 25 July 2013 14:53:37
    Problem is that winning in competitions then becomes all about who's wiling to take the most risks and manages not to die.

Dunno, it really seems very obvious indeed to me why you can't let spots people take whatever drugs they want.
  • Salaman 25 Jul 2013 15:03:37 23,812 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Where did this matzy spazz come from all of a sudden. I never noticed him on EG before. Just put him on ignore though, so shouldn't be too much bother.
  • Salaman 25 Jul 2013 15:40:38 23,812 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It's a bit like having vinzinni in here but he's putting in less effort.
  • Deleted user 25 July 2013 20:26:25
    Just remember, people, several successful athletes and professional bodybuilders have admitted long-term methandrostenolone use before the drug was banned, including Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sergio Oliva.[31][dead link][32] Dianabol is no longer produced but similar drugs are made elsewhere.
    The use of anabolic steroids is now banned by all major sporting bodies, including the ATP, WTA, ITF, International Olympic Committee, FIFA, UEFA, all major professional golf tours, the National Hockey League, Major League Baseball, the National Basketball Association, the European Athletic Association, WWE, the NFL and the UCI. However, drug testing can be wildly inconsistent and, in some instances, has gone unenforced.

Sports lawyer Michelle Gallen has said that the pursuit of doping athletes has turned into a modern day witch-hunt.[58]
    For extensive discussions of doping in the sport of competitive cycling, see:
    List of doping cases in cycling
    Doping at the Tour de France, with specific articles on the following doping cases in the Tour:
    Festina affair (1998)
    Floyd Landis doping case (2006)
    Doping at the 2007 Tour de France
    Lance Armstrong doping case (2012)
    The use of performance-enhancing drugs in sport has become an increasing problem across a wide range of sports.[59]

I think this answers all questions.

Like · Comment · Share · 20 minutes ago via mobile ·
  • Youthist 25 Jul 2013 20:52:39 14,210 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Q: What are the first five words a crackhead in a three piece tailored suit hears?

A: "Will the defendant please rise"
  • ResidentKnievel 26 Jul 2013 21:18:55 7,402 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If there were separate competitions for clean and drugged up athletes, would there be any point in separating the drugged up men and women or would it be pointless as everyone would be looking to inject themselves with as much testosterone as possible?

Also, Usain Bolt is running soon in the Diamond league on bbc one!
  • grey_matters 21 Aug 2013 13:24:58 5,199 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Pat McQuaid is in a bit of trouble as far as his re-election goes. The Swiss federation have withdrawn their backing a the Irish did a few months back. Accusations of financially motivated people lobbying against him.

Lovely stuff all round.
  • Salaman 21 Aug 2013 14:21:28 23,812 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I won't miss Pat McQuaid if he's replaced. Fingers crossed his replacement has a bit of a clue and some vision.
  • grey_matters 14 Sep 2013 16:59:19 5,199 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Chris Horner wins the Vuelta.
  • grey_matters 25 Sep 2013 22:48:55 5,199 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    grey_matters wrote:
    And has now released his blood passport from the race which seems to show that he had a bloodbag. He has got to be trolling for shits and giggles at this stage.
  • DaM 25 Sep 2013 23:45:27 17,455 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I'm a couple of months older than him - it hurts when I bend my knees!
  • Psychotext 26 Sep 2013 03:30:55 66,688 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    grey_matters wrote:
    grey_matters wrote:
    And has now released his blood passport from the race which seems to show that he had a bloodbag. He has got to be trolling for shits and giggles at this stage.
    Just did some reading on that... and yeah, I think he basically knows he's untouchable and it's a big FUCK YOU to everyone else.

(Either that or he's a fucking moron that doesn't realise people know how to analyse the results)
  • grey_matters 29 Sep 2013 08:57:26 5,199 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Tiernan-Locke is in trouble for having irregular blood values. It dates back to his time just before joining Sky and appears to be the reason he pulled out of todays World Championships.
  • grey_matters 8 Jun 2014 22:59:15 5,199 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Chris Froome won the 10.4km prologue in the Dauphiné today. By 8 seconds. Over 10.4km. If you add 8 seconds to the time of the surprisingly strongly-resurgent-all-of-a-sudden-in-recent-weeks 2nd placer Alberto Contador, you cover all the places down to P19-ish.

It makes me happy that the fairytale of a pro-cyclist who has barely shown anything up to the age of 26 can, in a number of months, become the greatest cyclist who has ever lived. That he beats a cyclist who is a proven stimulant abuser (that has suddenly regained all his previous abilities after a few wilderness years) so easily can only be a positive thing for cycling (and sport) in general.

Hooray!

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.