EU make MS Phone Home

• Deleted user 17 November 2002 03:23:42
    The European Commission is considering a new antitrust case against Microsoft Corp. based on the suspicion that the software giant is trying to leverage its dominance of PC operating systems into the market for mobile phone software, according to people familiar with the regulator's activities.

Source: Yahoo News
  • Khab 17 Nov 2002 03:30:58 6,583 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    They're trying to break into yet ANOTHER market? You know, you'd think they'd notice the anti-trust people eyeing them and maybe start to slow down the expanison just a bit, but noooo... Oh well, they'll end up getting cut apart then.
  • Tiitiz 17 Nov 2002 13:03:59 1,128 posts
    Registered 18 years ago
    Do Sony not make Mobile Phones, TV's, Radios, Video's, DVD players and currently dominate the consoles?
  • FWB 17 Nov 2002 13:04:45 56,343 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I'd like to see them try and get in. This is one area where European companies are light-years ahead of the yanks.
  • Khab 17 Nov 2002 14:43:54 6,583 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Tiitiz: Yes they do, but Sony isn't currently being investigated by anti-trust lawyers for it's core activities AND isn't using any monopolic leverage to get into new markets.
  • terminalterror 17 Nov 2002 18:57:10 18,931 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Tiitiz wrote:
    Do Sony not make Mobile Phones, TV's, Radios, Video's, DVD players and currently dominate the consoles?

Khab wrote:
    Tiitiz: Yes they do, but Sony isn't currently being investigated by anti-trust lawyers for it's core activities AND isn't using any monopolic leverage to get into new markets.

Sony use suprisingly little cross market leverage considering how many markets they are in. They don't make enough films to fill up their cinemas. Apart from consoles, they don't really dominate in any particular market, and apart from the occasional free DVD when you buy a DVD player, the only cross market tie I can think of is selling sony games only on PS2.
  • Tiitiz 17 Nov 2002 20:17:14 1,128 posts
    Registered 18 years ago
    Yup, thought so. Sony Dominates consoles. M$ currently Dominate the OS. Just there is more money in OS which gives M$ a bit of spare cash to try other things. Like BBC said, they lose money in 5/7 divisions.

M$ appear to just want to stay succesful and branch out incase the OS dies. Yup, they grow anyway but wouldnt you try to get in other markets if you were worried. That i understand.

I'm no fanboy of M$, I hate Windows 9x/ME. I'm just happy for them that they are trying and give them credit for that.

Least they are losing some money, if they didnt try other markets then M$ bank would just keep growing even bigger

IMHO I think M$ will progress in Consoles but not Mobile Communication.

yada, yada. I hate this crap. I'm here for games not Business
  • otto Moderator 28 May 2007 11:16:19 49,322 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    MS has been trying for a few years now to elbow its way into mobile telephony. They see it in much the same way as they see videogaming - IT convergence that could spell the end of their OS monopoly. Which is why the big phone companies have been so anxious to keep them out (see the creation of Symbian a few years ago). MS of course has been using its tried & tested tactics to strong-arm (no pun intended) its way in - poaching key figures, buying up competitors, creating 'alliances' with weaker strategic partners, and so on. Their push for Pocket PC is of course all about breaking into this market. Again, as with the internet and as with console gaming, their first attempts were cack-handed in the extreme but they've been learning from their mistakes. And the same old arguments apply about the ethics of using ill-gotten gains in their monopolistic core business to fund a venture into new territory.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.