Advice on house hunting Page 181

• Psychotext 2 Mar 2018 15:55:26 63,077 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The Royal Mail DB is correct. Problem is, in this day and age that's far from the only DB people use (mostly because it's fucking expensive from what I remember).

One of the sites just had the address as something along the lines of "Plot X, Development Y, Wrong Road Name". Which would be about a year and a half out of date now.
  • SnackPlissken 2 Mar 2018 17:47:32 160 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Currently looking at washing machines. Pwhoooor. Thereís so many models and I donít really care haha.
  • Psychotext 2 Mar 2018 18:42:45 63,077 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I had that with washer dryers. Except my missus demanded that you basically had to be able to open the door at any point during the dry cycle (to avoid creasing). Was fucking hard to find that info.
  • the_milkybar_kid 3 Mar 2018 00:15:22 7,020 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm absolutely fucking knackered. Only just sat down. Appears that there's a lot more work to do than I'd anticipated.

Virtually every room will need the paint stripping down in patches and re-doing. Some of its real amatuer shit like putting matt paint over satin so it's all cracked. Little room upstairs is a bit tatty. Needs all paper stripping off, carpeting and baby proofing for April. Windows will need replacing which we knew, and we definitely need to extend and convert the garage for a utility room and my fortress of solitude at the back, so a few builder coming Monday.

The 2 year olds been at the wife's parents last 2 days and slept over so we could get on. We're going to get his room prepared so its near enough like his old room, save for the wallpaper that needs coming down. He'll either not care or just freak out at night.

I'm really fucking glad were in. But sitting here in silence, it's weird. Still feels like we've just moved our shit into someone else's house- which of course we have done. But it doesn't feel like our house. Pretty sure it was the same when we moved 10 years ago.
  • Psychotext 3 Mar 2018 00:37:22 63,077 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Fast job on the builder. Getting into it as quickly as possible!

Vaguely related... I started eyeing up SDS drills today, but I can't help thinking I probably shouldn't buy one. Just because, well, I'm going to put holes everywhere. :D
  • Jeepers 3 Mar 2018 07:24:11 16,533 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Psychotext

If itís any help my BiL built a house from scratch and god knows how many outbuildings with Hitachi drills and impact drivers over the last ten years and theyíre good enough to still be running.
  • Jeepers 3 Mar 2018 07:24:51 16,533 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The trade range, not their domestic range.
  • Dougs 3 Mar 2018 07:49:40 85,726 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Psychotext you're in a new build... All you need is a bradawl or screw driver!
  • elstoof 3 Mar 2018 07:50:20 20,056 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Every man needs an SDS
  • elstoof 3 Mar 2018 07:51:57 20,056 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Also, yesterday was essentially the last day of the renovation project for us \o/

Feels kind of weird to be done with it all after 10 months
  • robc84 3 Mar 2018 07:55:55 12,578 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @the_milkybar_kid

There is always more stuff to than you realise. See my woes over the last few months :)

We settled in pretty quickly though and I'm quite enjoying all the work around the house. Even if it is fucking exhausting. And incredibly slow with a job and two kids!
  • Dougs 3 Mar 2018 08:02:00 85,726 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Also, yesterday was essentially the last day of the renovation project for us \o/

Congrats! Did you manage to wangle any new toys or gadgets?
  • nickthegun 3 Mar 2018 08:21:07 74,033 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    We've just bought and sold. Despite my insistence otherwise, we have ended up buying a bit of a project. I wanted to be able to just move in and put the furniture down but one one came up over our budget but exactly where we wanted to be so took a look at it.

The problems are twofold. Every upstairs room needs redecorating and new carpets and downstairs has been renovated fairly recently but the bloke fancies himself as a bit of a Handy Andy and is shit at it. None of the laminate floors touch the wall, all the filler hes used is still rough and so on and so forth. But the wife could 'see the potential'....

We put in a super low off with the above justification and apparently he was quite offended and said he couldn't see any of the problems we pointed out. After a couple of weeks of viewings with exactly the same feedback, the estate agents said he was ready to deal and here we are.

We had exactly the same scenario in our current house so have built in the work that needs doing into our offer, so hopefully carpetright doesn't go tits up before we move.

Got to schlep up to the mortgage meeting on foot today because our estate is like fucking narnia.

Edited by nickthegun at 08:22:03 03-03-2018
  • Dougs 3 Mar 2018 08:36:18 85,726 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Wahey! Exciting times. Superficial decorating and finishing is fine though, even if it's a ballache. It's the structural stuff which is proper expensive. Bloke we bought from is clearly better at DIY than me, but there's loads of shoddy/lazy finishes. Not that I can be arsed to do anything about it.
  • elstoof 3 Mar 2018 08:57:53 20,056 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    elstoof wrote:

Congrats! Did you manage to wangle any new toys or gadgets?
    Nothing out of the ordinary, but convinced my wife that 55Ē is just how big tvís are these days
  • Psychotext 3 Mar 2018 09:55:02 63,077 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They pretty much are though, at least at the top end.
  • Deleted user 3 March 2018 11:31:41
    iirc PCA Predict only usually lags by a couple of weeks.
  • Psychotext 3 Mar 2018 11:37:41 63,077 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'd love to know what that one was yesterday that was so far out. What a surprise that the tax office would cheap out.
  • Deleted user 3 March 2018 11:45:32
    @Psychotext the tax office are using my company for something at the moment. I know we're cheap...
  • mrpon 3 Mar 2018 11:49:44 34,422 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    We've just bought and sold.
    Woah woah woah! You don't just bowl in here with that line! Where's the histrionics ffs?!
  • Psychotext 3 Mar 2018 11:51:26 63,077 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    He's going to find that there's no boiler...
  • Psychotext 4 Mar 2018 13:13:36 63,077 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Missus has her mother here at the house today doing cleaning ready for the move. Feels like moving deckchairs on the titanic, given right now we don't even know where our furniture is going, let alone the bits and pieces.
  • Mr_Sleep 4 Mar 2018 17:28:41 21,766 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @nickthegun laminate floor shouldn't touch the wall as the flooe needs an expansion gap. The gap needs to be at least ten mil and sometimes more depending on how big the room is. If one doesn't take the skirtings off then beading or overlay systems for the skirtings are required.
  • SnackPlissken 5 Mar 2018 11:25:19 160 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Completion is off for Friday. The seller said Friday wasn't feasible anymore. I gave them the option to choose.. Not a huge deal just get in your head that it's happening, then it doesn't.
  • Psychotext 5 Mar 2018 15:42:02 63,077 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Am sat in the new place. Surprisingly peaceful compared to being near the busy road in my last place, even with the construction noise going on here. Nice and warm too.

I should have brought a chair though, my back is killing sat on the floor!
  • robthehermit 5 Mar 2018 15:53:54 6,585 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Quiet is good. Where we were in Stevenage it was a nightmare of road noise, the pub just down the road in summer and twats seeing just how loud they can get their mopeds. Here though, I can fling the windows wide and I might hear the occasional seagull.
  • askew 5 Mar 2018 16:34:31 16,757 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Am sat in the new place. Surprisingly peaceful compared to being near the busy road in my last place, even with the construction noise going on here. Nice and warm too.

I should have brought a chair though, my back is killing sat on the floor!
    Doing the ol' Steve Jobs?

• Psychotext 5 Mar 2018 21:57:48 63,077 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Towel underneath me? Luxury!

To the people who have been in the thread for some time... you may be interested to know that planning is in full flow for the fishies. I've just bought them a shed. lol

The filter was going to look fucking terrible out in the open in the garden, so the best best would be putting it all in a box or something. But I figured a big old box on its own is a bit of a waste of space... so a shed gives me some storage, and a place to hide that.
  • Psychotext 6 Mar 2018 10:59:31 63,077 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The professional snagging is not going well. =/

Edit - LMAO, the site manager just turned up to check something and went a bit white when he saw the snagging guy.

Apparently they're coming back Thursday to re-do two of their wonky walls. That'll be fun.

Edited by Psychotext at 11:46:24 06-03-2018
  • Dougs 6 Mar 2018 11:52:37 85,726 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Surely that means it is going well! Don't want to be paying for someone to not do their job... And that goes for the developer and the snagging guy!

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.