• elstoof 5 May 2018 12:43:23 20,788 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Wet
  • monkehhh 6 May 2018 10:49:54 4,920 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    monkehhh wrote:
    We've got a washing machine again after 3.5 months! Stuck a whole load of boxers in there, things were getting a bit desperate.
    Spoke a little too soon, the hose is leaking.
  • robc84 6 May 2018 13:28:32 12,755 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just to put a little positivity back into the thread, days like today is what makes the whole painful house buying process worthwhile. Sitting in the garden with a beer, kids having fun in the paddling pool and going to fire up the new barbecue soon :)
  • Dougs 6 May 2018 22:21:53 86,220 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    /like
  • Psiloc 6 May 2018 22:56:37 4,717 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    monkehhh wrote:
    monkehhh wrote:
    We've got a washing machine again after 3.5 months! Stuck a whole load of boxers in there, things were getting a bit desperate.
    Spoke a little too soon, the hose is leaking.
    Just in case you donít know and are panicking, the hoses are universal fittings and you can get replacement ones at any hardware store.
  • monkehhh 6 May 2018 23:11:55 4,920 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Psiloc I just turned the valve off (after a bit of mopping this morning) as the leak was just after it, the plumber will be fixing it (as we're in the middle of a big load of work) :)
  • Psychotext 8 May 2018 09:19:58 63,553 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    Carp update pls
    They are swimming.
  • quadfather 8 May 2018 10:54:30 32,356 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ok, I think I'm ok at the moment, but can I just run something by you peeps -

The solicitor has raised the fact that the property has no building regulations for the loft conversion.

Now I'm happy with that, as I know it was sold as a two bed house and the loft room is just another room, *not* a bedroom, as you'd need a fire door and all that jazz. So if I ever sold it in the future, it would be sold as a 2 bed, not a 3.

So I don't give a toss, but the solicitor is going to mention this to the lender too. As the description of the house is "2 bed", surely the valuation would reflect this, and not base the valuation on a 3 bed, yes?
  • mrpon 8 May 2018 11:20:05 34,559 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Valuation as in lender valuation, ie: a structural surveyor? I would imagine this figure would be lower than an estate agent valuation, as estate agents base it more on desirability rather than facts.
  • whatfruitlivesagain 8 May 2018 11:26:10 1,222 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Post deleted
  • quadfather 8 May 2018 11:31:36 32,356 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Valuation as in lender valuation, ie: a structural surveyor? I would imagine this figure would be lower than an estate agent valuation, as estate agents base it more on desirability rather than facts.
    It was my lenders valuation, based on whether they think it's ok to give me the full amount for the mortgage. (Which they did). I've just spoken to the mortgage advisor who said that she said to the lender that it was a 2 bed property, so hopefully, It's nothing to think about really. Will soon see I guess.
  • whatfruitlivesagain 8 May 2018 11:32:07 1,222 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    You will need to get an indemnity policy against the attic conversion in the event the council take action againt you in the future for unregulated building work.
  • quadfather 8 May 2018 11:38:42 32,356 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @whatfruitlivesagain

Possibly, yes. Then again, if it's just using the loft space as, well, space and say, hasn't got an on-suite which is more structural, it's normally acceptable. All the houses on the street I'm buying have loft rooms as part of the original build, so it's not like it's been specifically created for this home.

Then again, for the sake of £200, if they want one, I'll get one.
  • whatfruitlivesagain 8 May 2018 11:42:15 1,222 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @quadfather The lender will require it to protect their investment in the event the council turn up, declare the house unsafe and demand the house be demolished or the loft collapses through your kitchen.
  • quadfather 8 May 2018 11:44:23 32,356 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @whatfruitlivesagain

Yeah, I can see the council being dicks about it, that's for sure. I'll wait on the lender and see what they say. It's not that much to get a policy if I really have to.

However, I've just spoken to the neighbour who bought the one next to the one I'm buying and he said the council were fine about his.

Swings and roundabouts.
  • quadfather 8 May 2018 11:57:12 32,356 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Actually, it's not swings and roundabouts, it's just fucking greedy bastard solicitors wanting to squeeze more cash out of you.
  • quadfather 8 May 2018 12:26:34 32,356 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Actually, again, what the fuck am I talking about. Even if the property does need an indemnity policy, it's the seller that gets it anyway, not me.
  • robthehermit 8 May 2018 14:49:43 6,658 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Actually, again, what the fuck am I talking about. Even if the property does need an indemnity policy, it's the seller that gets it anyway, not me.
    We purchased our own indemnity insurances to cover building regs etc. It wasn't worth the hassle of chasing the seller for the sake of £50. Also, make sure you get the proper insurance:

https://www.insurancetimes.co.uk/claim-on-burned-down-760000-home-rejected-after-bedroom-miscount/1426747.article
  • quadfather 8 May 2018 14:54:31 32,356 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @robthehermit

Yeah, was talking to a guy at work and he went 50/50 with his.

Like you say, for the sake of around £100, I'll just fucking pay it myself.

Also, that link - Jeez!
  • whatfruitlivesagain 8 May 2018 14:57:34 1,222 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    quadfather wrote:
    It's up to you and the seller to negotiate who pays for the policy.

As Hermit states below you will have to disclose the policy and the room when seeking insurance.
  • Psychotext 8 May 2018 14:58:22 63,553 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Both site managers went on holiday at the same week this week. What fucking company allows two key employees time off at the same time? I'm wondering if they're married to each other or something.

They hadn't arranged for the carpenter to come back (probably just done one day out of at least four days of work needed). Plasterers aren't planned yet (at least another week of work, despite them saying they could get it done in a day). No idea when the external guys are coming to fix the render / staining on the bricks.

Decorators were planned for the week though... except they can't do anything until the other work is done, so I sent them away.

Aye aye aye.

Edit - Oh, and the people who need to replace the floor are coming on the 14th. No doubt to fucking argue with me that should be allowed to half arse the fix rather than doing it properly.

Edited by Psychotext at 15:04:34 08-05-2018
  • quadfather 8 May 2018 15:12:09 32,356 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    whatfruitlivesagain wrote:
    quadfather wrote:
    It's up to you and the seller to negotiate who pays for the policy.

As Hermit states below you will have to disclose the policy and the room when seeking insurance.
    Yeah, I'll see what the seller and the lender say and for the sake of not slowing things down I'll just pay it.
  • Zomoniac 8 May 2018 15:14:56 9,721 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Went looking round the nicer new builds in our area yesterday (not the ones on our street that I already mocked), giving them serious consideration as selling our place will be a nightmare and part-ex sounds appealing, but they're all just so small and laughably expensive!

We paid £186k for a 1,550sq ft (plus garage) 5 bed three years ago, that Zoopla reckons is worth £215k now. For £370k we can get a place 150sq ft smaller, or for £400k we can get one 50sq ft bigger (the only one on the development bigger than ours), but with such heavily slanted ceilings in the top two bedrooms it ends up with far less usable space. They're a mile away, if that.

Also apparently you can part-ex or help to buy, but not both. I didn't know that.
  • Psychotext 8 May 2018 15:40:52 63,553 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I thought help to buy was only for first time buyers?
  • General_Martok 8 May 2018 15:53:06 459 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    After 6 months of constant bullshit with builders and decorating next Friday should signal the end of the work we've done within* the house with the delivery of our sofas.

I'm never ever moving or decorating again.

* We're still waiting for bastard builders to replace most of the air vents on the outside wall with solid bricks.

Edited by General_Martok at 15:55:10 08-05-2018
  • Psychotext 8 May 2018 16:03:40 63,553 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I really hope I'm not complaining in three months time. :(
  • quadfather 8 May 2018 16:06:24 32,356 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I constantly read this thread.

I can't wait to see what happens if/when I get this house.

It's going to all fall down isn't it.
  • Psychotext 8 May 2018 16:11:25 63,553 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It'll burst into flames, then you'll realise your insurance isn't valid because reasons.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.